• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shrug* I ain't the one complaining about moving screens.

Huh? He just had a historic offensive season against physical play every single night. He averaged 28 ppg against physical play in the post-season last year. The idea that what OKC is doing is in any way novel or unknown to Curry is simply untrue.

SportsVU says he's 13-of-37 on open 3s, 3-of-11 on wide open 3s (guessing this is since his injury). Like I get it, acting like Curry has suddenly become that bad of a scorer is entertaining, but something tells me it's not the reality.

Are you sure you watch the NBA nightly? Physical play is not the way I would describe the regular season. Unlike during the regular season, you don't get to play 9 out of 10 games against mediocre teams. GS didn't have to face anyone last year in the playoffs. Well Cavs were ok but had a ton of injuries to key guys. Problem is, if Klay picks up 3 quick fouls you just can't put Curry on Westbrook. He has zero chance of guarding him, and that also wears him down in the other end.

It's a tough matchup for GS and something they haven't faced before. More athletic, kill them on the boards and their PG is better than Curry. At least in this series. Physical defense, some nagging injuries and a game that relies on 3-point shooting is not a recipe for success. Of course he can get hot for 3 games straight and OKC can self-combust, but that's unlikely. OKC is peaking right now, GS peaked at the start of the season.

Fjordson

Or maybe Curry is just choking though. Not everyone can be Jordan
Curry's performed better on bigger stages and I don't usually buy into the mental stuff since I have no clue how someone is thinking, but even that is more plausible to me some of these other "theories". Warriors haven't been down like this in the Kerr era, it could have him and the rest of team shook.

I didn't complain I just pointed it out....you complained about the hand checking and pulling off ball.
Nah, I wouldn't expect that call. As I've said a million times, teams have been doing this stuff to Curry every night for years. Just funny for someone to only notice the moving screen.

There's always stuff in the margins that every team can get away with, and that includes Golden State I'd be the first to admit that. Moving screens is one of them, another Bogut favourite is holding help defenders so that they can't block a layup attempt from a driving guard :lol

If curry has a good game tomorrow is his injury gone then? Seems pointless to debate it unless we actually learn something. If people want to think he has an injury it tells me that there's no way GS can win.

Jarate

Banned
Also, ive pointed this out a lot regarding the Warriors weakness, is that they struggle mightily against long and athletic teams. The Sixers almost beat them one night, and they had losses against teams like the Bucks and Jazz. The Thunder are basically just copying that strategy.

I hope KD gets a ring, dude deserves one, but he'll probably go up against Lebron and get destroyed

ViciousDS

Banned
Nah, I wouldn't expect that call. As I've said a million times, teams have been doing this stuff to Curry every night for years. Just funny for someone to only notice the moving screen.

There's always stuff in the margins that every team can get away with, and that includes Golden State I'd be the first to admit that. Moving screens is one of them, another Bogut favourite is holding help defenders so that they can't block a layup attempt from a driving guard :lol

damn we both missed edits XD

Also, ive pointed this out a lot regarding the Warriors weakness, is that they struggle mightily against long and athletic teams. The Sixers almost beat them one night, and they had losses against teams like the Bucks and Jazz. The Thunder are basically just copying that strategy.

I hope KD gets a ring, dude deserves one, but he'll probably go up against Lebron and get destroyed

Sixers came back from a big deficit late in the game because the Warriors fell asleep.

Fjordson

If curry has a good game tomorrow is his injury gone then?
No..?

Are you sure you watch the NBA nightly? Physical play is not the way I would describe it. Unlike during the regular season, you don't get to play 9 out of 10 games against mediocre teams. GS didn't have to face anyone last year in the playoffs. Well Cavs were ok but had a ton of injuries to key guys. Problem is, if Klay picks up 3 quick fouls you just can't put Curry on Westbrook. He has zero chance of guarding him, and that also wears him down in the other end.

It's a tough matchup for GS and something they haven't faced before. More athletic, kill them on the boards and their PG is better than Curry. At least in this series. Physical defense, some nagging injuries and a game that relies on 3-point shooting is not a recipe for success. Of course he can get hot for 3 games straight and OKC can self-combust, but that's unlikely. OKC is peaking right now, GS peaked at the start of the season.
Physical play is absolutely how I would describe defense on Steph and it's been happening for years.

Some of the other stuff you said is true, and I've never claimed OKC is winning because Steph's injuries. Multiple things can be true. OKC is dominating and Steph is hurt.

"@kobebryant sent a text message to @Money23Green after the loss in Game 4 against the Thunder: 'If making history was easy, why bother?'" - @Sportando

Something about that quote comes off really stupid.

rambis

Banned
I see Warriors fans are playing the injury angle super hard. I just don't buy it. Especially after oh so many were singing his praises after that OT game where he was taunting the crowd.

I called this happening from the jump. Well not the blowouts but I always felt that a motivated WB could definitely outplay Curry. Dude is just a freak.

I see Warriors fans are playing the injury angle super hard. I just don't buy it. Especially after oh so many were singing his praises after that OT game where he was taunting the crowd.

I called this happening from the jump. Well not the blowouts but I always felt that a motivated WB could definitely outplay Curry. Dude is just a freak.

They're probably playing the injury angle hard in order to save themselves from a meltdown.

Fjordson

"@kobebryant sent a text message to @Money23Green after the loss in Game 4 against the Thunder: 'If making history was easy, why bother?'" - @Sportando

Something about that quote comes off really stupid.
lol wtf. So...Draymond about to start chucking next game?

I see Warriors fans are playing the injury angle super hard. I just don't buy it.
Nope. OKC's domination extends far beyond Curry's struggles, just seems obvious that he's hurt.

They're probably playing the injury angle hard in order to save themselves from a meltdown.
Again, nope.

You can tell Cavs fans are waiting for their team to win game 5 or the series before they erupt with the showmanship. If their series had been 3-1 or over by now, oh man.

Brinbe

Calling for an on-the-brink Cavs team at home, desperately trying to avoid a close out on the road, to do well and win!? Really now??? Such brave prognostication! Really going out on a limb there with that analysis, guys.
e5YuU.gif

That being said, I really hope we win, but realistically, chances are that we probably don't. HCA is proving to be a big thing these playoffs and that probably continues tonight. LeBron will put the team on his back as he always does.

That being said, I'd relish a win, if only for all the doubters and haters to come running back copping multiple pleas like we've already seen so much this round. Wait till they play the game. Nothing is inevitable or set in stone. If it were, right now, we'd be watching the Spurs and Dubs battle it out to face a fresh 12-0 Cavs team in the finals.

Wat. Every single team tries to get "physical" with him every game he plays.

A bit flabbergasted by some of these takes. Warriors have been on national TV a lot these past few years, but it's like no one's seen what teams have tried to do on defense before last week.

I wasn't talking about regular season games. Regular season is almost a different sport.

Memphis and Cleveland both had success touching Steph up and banging him around in the playoffs last year, especially in the first few games of both of those series. That was more what I was alluding to. I could care less about some random national TV game in February or March.

BTW- I'm not on the bash Steph bandwagon. Dude's incredible, easily the best scorer in the business, and deservedly the two-time MVP of the league. I'm just pointing out that this isn't the first time we've seen him have to fight through some struggles in a playoff series.

Fjordson

How is Curry hurt when he himself said he was fine?
I'd guess because he has nothing to gain by mentioning it (and athletes lie about health constantly). As someone posted earlier, it's a really bad look and he probably doesn't want to appear like he's making excuses. Especially since, as I said, OKC's domination goes beyond Curry not playing well. To even give off the faintest impression that his team is losing because he isn't 100% would be not good to say the least.

spyder_ur

Bradley's on the NBA All-Defensive 1st team with some chumps.

Good for Bradley. He's absolutely relentless. Nice to see Jae and Smart get some love too - Marcus will make a few of these before he's done.

I think the Steph injury is a factor, but boiling this series down to stuff like 'Steph's hurt', 'They're playing him physical' (as if OKC is the first team to ever try this - watch Chris Paul), or some form of 'Golden State is choking' is analysis that is both way too elementary and doesn't give nearly enough credit to OKC for the way they've been playing. After the game 1 blowout to SA, they've won 7 of 9 games against teams that had 2 of the best 10 regular seasons ever. 3 of those were on the road.

Fjordson

Good for Bradley. He's absolutely relentless. Nice to see Jae and Smart get some love too - Marcus will make a few of these before he's done.

I think the Steph injury is a factor, but boiling this series down to stuff like 'Steph's hurt', 'They're playing him physical' (as if OKC is the first team to ever try this - watch Chris Paul), or some form of 'Golden State is choking' is analysis that is both way too elementary and doesn't give nearly enough credit to OKC for the way they've been playing. After the game 1 blowout to SA, they've won 7 of 9 games against teams that had 2 of the best 10 regular seasons ever. 3 of those were on the road.
Yep to all this.

statuez

Banned
Curry went from being the greatest offensive weapon ever and an elite defensive player at the guard position to now being injured. Next people are gonna tell me he doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast. Maybe he needs a better coach perhaps?

These are the same people who still believed the warriors would win in 6 when they were down 2-1 and said there was nothing to worry about.

Lol.

Fjordson

Curry went from being the greatest offensive weapon ever and an elite defensive player at the guard position to now being injured. Next people are gonna tell me he doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast. Maybe he needs a better coach perhaps?

These are the same people who still believed the warriors would win in 6 when they were down 2-1 and said there was nothing to worry about.

Lol.
Curry is a fraud. Just hope they can get something for him in the off-season. Need to shore up the backcourt around Klay.

Lightning

Banned
Cavs better win today. A DeRozan and Lowry vs Westbrook and Durant is a mismatch. That will be boring as fuck.

Cavs need to go to the finals.

Cavs better win today. A DeRozan and Lowry vs Westbrook and Durant is a mismatch. That will be boring as fuck.

Cavs need to go to the finals.

I'm sure the 40 FT attempts will help them overcome the Raptors.

If David Stern was still in charge,

GSW would be up 3-1
Cavs would sweep Raps.

Thankfully that is not the case.

May the best team win.

First of all, anyone who watched the Cavs games know the refs are completely hosing the Raptors. Secondly, the Thunder have been getting calls for years so I don't see how they're similar to the Raptors. They got to the finals because a guy on their bench, James Harden, would get to the line constantly and then you add Durant and Westbrook and it was like they were guaranteed 30 FTs a game.

Gigglepoo

You knock out Torontos two guards and you win the ballgame. Let's be honest, if it weren't for the Cavs missed shots this chump would be nothing.

Kind of hard to "knock out" Toronto's two guards when one of the defenders is Kyrie Irving. Imagine how relived Toronto's All Stars must be now that George Hill and Paul George aren't guarding them.

rambis

Banned
Unfortunately this seems like playoffs Curry. Remember who got the finals MVP last year? It wasn't Curry.
The fact that people just refuse to accept that he may just be overmatched or just rattled a bit is baffling. Its not often you see him off rhythm, but when he is, it looks just like this.

Its not like he wasn't getting to the rim or getting open at least some times. Dude was jumping way too early or too late on layups and throwing the ball away. That's timing, discipline and decision making, not physical. Putting his head down after misses, sulking up the floor. Guy's head is not right.

He's not hurt, hes just tired from having to guard Westbrook.

Physical play plus having to guard someone like West and having him guard you seems much more likely to be the reason than a possible injury.

I don't think Steph is more banged up than other players going this deep in the playoffs.

Brinbe

Bigmac Biyombo is Samuel Dalembert 2.0 in my eyes. Im not falling for that trap

What? Biz is a lot faster, stronger and more agile than Dally ever was lol. Sam had a better offensive game but was anti-hustle to the max, and that's 100% of BB's game.

Anyway, JV is ready for tonight's game. Hope he can make a positive impact and we can get back to that killer P&R game he was roasting the Heat with before he got injured.

when you're guarding a cheetah on defense and fighting your way through a packed subway car on offense you're not gonna look as beastly as you usually do.

Gigglepoo

There's no reason Curry should be guarding Westbrook. That's suicide. Stick him on Waiters or Roberson so he's not worn out guarding a super freak.

Bread

Banned
What? Biz is a lot faster, stronger and more agile than Dally ever was lol. Sam had a better offensive game but was anti-hustle to the max, and that's 100% of BB's game.

Anyway, JV is ready for tonight's game. Hope he can make a positive impact and we can get back to that killer P&R game he was roasting the Heat with before he got injured.
Yeah I don't know about that comparison. Biyombo has an insane ceiling because of his physical abilities.

Jarate

Banned
It's more in respect to an over valued big man showing off physical abilities in a nba playoffs and getting overvalued

I like him a lot, but I still wouldnt touch him with a stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom