• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I mean that is max 2 or 3 teams in the NBA at a given time, so it's not saying much. There aren't too many teams with the talent level of OKC, which is why they've generally been considered disappointments in the postseason. They've certainly got it all rolling now though.

A lot of that disappointment has been unfair, though. The team that went to the finals in 2012 was too young. The stars were all 22-23 years old.

The 2012-13 team won 60 games and was the #1 seed, but lost Westbrook for the playoffs in the 1st round. Lost to Memphis in the semis.

The 2013-14 team made the WCF but lost to eventual champ San Antonio in 6 after losing Ibaka for the first two games and having him play badly injured for the rest of that series. Even with that, they still put up a better fight than the Heat did in the Finals.

The 2014-15 team lost not only Durant for most of the season, but dealt with injuries up and down the roster all year. There were games in the first half of the season where they weren't able to dress more than 8 guys.

Without all the injuries, they probably make it back to the Finals another time or two and maybe even win one. Hard to say. They look to have a great chance this year, though.

Westbrook gives himself trouble. That's really about it.

Pretty much. Although he's getting out of his own way more and more often as he matures. He's a much more efficient and consistent than he was even 2-3 years ago.

spyder_ur

It says that the Warriors record /status as an all time team is fool's gold (unless they pull off a comeback, lol), they do not match up well against equally talented teams. I suppose Curry already got exposed when he couldn't win a FMVP against an injured Kyrie. Goldenrods are getting exposed and beat

OK

A lot of that disappointment has been unfair, though. The team that went to the finals in 2012 was too young. The stars were all 22-23 years old.

The 2012-13 team won 60 games and was the #1 seed, but lost Westbrook for the playoffs in the 1st round. Lost to Memphis in the semis.

The 2013-14 team made the WCF but lost to eventual champ San Antonio in 6 after losing Ibaka for the first two games and having him play badly injured for the rest of that series. Even with that, they still put up a better fight than the Heat did in the Finals.

The 2014-15 team lost not only Durant for most of the season, but dealt with injuries up and down the roster all year. There were games in the first half of the season where they weren't able to dress more than 8 guys.

Without all the injuries, they probably make it back to the Finals another time or two and maybe even win one. Hard to say. They look to have a great chance this year, though.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Going into the playoffs though, I just had a sense that their window was kind of closing, for whatever reason, and that this incredible era where they had a collection of peak explosive talent was going to go by without a title. I didn't think this year's team was good enough. It felt like a Penny-Shaq thing where the timing was never quite right - you had the dominance of the Spurs and Big 3 Heat and then the emergence of the Warriors.

KD X Westbrook will show up yeah but what about the rest?

I'm talking shit but honestly the finals is just another series , these guys have been playing basketball for ages , hell more people watch march madness than the nba finals and I bet a lot of nba players played in those games

How do these guys get shook

That's why I never wanted the thunder to advance past the Spurs

Does anyone have numbers on how many minutes the GS 'Lineup of Death' has gotten together in this series? It doesn't seem like that many - OKC has done a great job pushing them away from that. It's tough to play that type of lineup when you can't rebound, but more importantly cant guard the opponents PG. Totally breaks down.

I kind of think the Dubs have to live or die by it the rest of the series though.
Didnt find the actual minutes but that death lineup has been absolutely obliterated by OKC.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/thunder-beat-warriors-game-4-small-death-lineup/4/

Does anyone have numbers on how many minutes the GS 'Lineup of Death' has gotten together in this series? It doesn't seem like that many - OKC has done a great job pushing them away from that. It's tough to play that type of lineup when you can't rebound, but more importantly cant guard the opponents PG. Totally breaks down.

I kind of think the Dubs have to live or die by it the rest of the series though.

OKC is destroying that lineup with their own lineup of death that is faster, longer and more athletic. Golden State's two most important players are playing like ass and its not because they are slumping or are just off, it's because they aren't use to having hands and bodies constantly in their faces.

phanphare

Banned
OKC is destroying that lineup with their own lineup of death that is faster, longer and more athletic. Golden State's two most important players are playing like ass and its not because they are slumping or are just off, it's because they aren't use to having hands and bodies constantly in their faces.

draymond is off imo

Also, the last two games, Roberson has been making the Warriors pay for sagging off him. It's basically every adjustment they make has been completely countered and punished. I really don't know what they could do to pull out a victory at this point other than just having a good shooting night...which isn't something you can count on.

The mental edge from the Warriors isn't just that on any given night, Steph and Klay can get hot...but more that when the shots aren't falling, the team as a whole is gritty enough to grind out victories. With OKC, that edge is completely gone.

Fjordson

draymond is off imo
I actually think Draymond is just getting dominated. Donovan was smart to not just stick a slow big guy on him like most teams do. KD is bigger, but still athletic and his length is fucking up everything Draymond does for Golden State's offense. He can barely get a pass off without it being deflected.

Steph's the one who I think is off / injured. OKC isn't doing anything he hasn't seen before and he's torched them the last two years.

I actually think Draymond is just getting dominated. Donovan was smart to not just stick a slow big guy on him like most teams do KD is bigger, but still athletic and his length is fucking up everything Draymond does for Golden State's offense. He can barely get a pass off without it being deflected.

Steph's the one who I think is off / injured. OKC isn't doing anything he hasn't seen before and he's torched them the last two years.

The one thing I think OKC is going to steph that a lot of teams can't or won't do is biting hard on picks and on his jumpers, even with their bugs, basically conceding him the ability to drive to the rim because with a shooter as good as Steph, you probably have a better chance of contesting his drive around the rim (or deflecting a pass) than letting him shoot a 3. Steph might be banged up but he's also not getting anywhere near the space he's used to. OKC is one of the few teams that can do that because they can basically put out an entire lineup of quick, long, athletic defenders when they play Ibaka at the 5. They are out small balling the Warriors.

phanphare

Banned
I actually think Draymond is just getting dominated. Donovan was smart to not just stick a slow big guy on him like most teams do. KD is bigger, but still athletic and his length is fucking up everything Draymond does for Golden State's offense. He can barely get a pass off without it being deflected.

steph definitely looks off

I think draymond is getting dominated mentally. it's like in the back of his head he decided he has no chance and took himself out of these past 3 games. golden state hasn't been playing together at all this series, wonder if there's some locker room shit going on.

Fjordson

The one thing I think OKC is going to steph that a lot of teams can't or won't do is biting hard on picks and on his jumpers, even with their bugs, basically conceding him the ability to drive to the rim because with a shooter as good as Steph, you probably have a better chance of contesting his drive around the rim (or deflecting a pass) than letting him shoot a 3. Steph might be banged up but he's also not getting anywhere near the space he's used to. OKC is one of the few teams that can do that because they can basically put out an entire lineup of quick, long, athletic defenders when they play Ibaka at the 5. They are out small balling the Warriors.
They make it tough for sure, but Curry has been able to beat defenses that do that numerous times before (OKC included to the tune of 36 ppg this year). Obviously the 3 ball is his main weapon, but he's an elite finisher inside as well.

With the way the Thunder are playing right now I could see them being able to limit his shooting even if he was fully healthy, but to throw him off this much? I dunno. Dude couldn't even take Enes Kanter off the dribble last night. It simply goes against everything he's shown the last 3 years.

charsace

Adams looking good doesn't surprise me. I was mad when the Thunder drafted him and teams passed up on him. I thought he was the best Center going into that draft.

Our offseason potentially is going from just mainly resigning our own guys to a top down overhaul of our supporting cast. That's crazy to think about...

phanphare

Banned
Our offseason potentially is going from just mainly resigning our own guys to a top down overhaul of our supporting cast. That's crazy to think about...

yall just need a long athletic big man who can set good screens, get rebounds, and protect the paint

what I'm saying is yall need to sign biyombo

Fjordson

Yep. Not sure they can sit on their laurels for much longer with the way the frontcourt has been playing. If you count the finals this is two straight important series for GS where Bogut hasn't shown up / been unplayable and Ezeli has in fits and starts at best.

Also would be nice to hit on a draft pick in some fashion, but I guess that's sort of a crap shoot. GS hasn't gotten anything in that regard since 2012 and two of those guys may been gone soon in Ezeli and Barnes.

With GS I honestly think its just the fact that they are playing a long athletic team quick enough to chase them around and interupt their passing lanes and easy shots. And that team has offensive weapons equally as potent. So now they don't know hoe to adapt. And they look mentally checked out. 20 some off turnovers yesterday. Even when your shots are not falling you have 0 excuse to be so careless with the ball.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Eh, not really sure that's the case. He had that one game where he went supernova and hit every 3 he shot, but he's also been held under 20 points multiple times and his FG% and 3PT FG% are lower against OKC than his yearly numbers. OKC just seems to be playing a more physical and aggressive style of ball than GSW can handle. What's really shocking is just how not close these games are. They are being dominated from the start. Kerr is not doing them any favors, either.

lawnchair

Banned
1464155569247-160524_RussKD_Post.mov-545134-6.576x324.jpg

this guy

phanphare

Banned
Max one of the following
Dwight, Whiteside or BIYOMBO

tell Bogut to gtfo

never know how much gas dwight has left in the tank/if his head is in it/etc, whiteside has attitude problems and can be exploited 1-on-1, the only answer is bizblock biyombo

Ask for Barnes, too, probably.

I'd be willing to give up hansbrough for both of them

looks like something ahsley would wear on fresh prince

Fjordson

Eh, not really sure that's the case. He had that one game where he went supernova and hit every 3 he shot, but he's also been held under 20 points multiple times and his FG% and 3PT FG% are lower against OKC than his yearly numbers.
This series absolutely, but it's never been the case before. Especially the last two games they played in the regular season. OKC's roster is equipped to limit him in some ways, but this much? To where he looks completely ineffective in every way? I dunno. If Steph Curry is suddenly a guy who can be contained by the likes of Enes Kanter when he's fully healthy then the Warriors are screwed.

Not that I'm certain MVP-level Steph would save them considering OKC is dominating so badly, but his absence certainly doesn't help.

The Warriors cocky owner would probably trade steph if he got a shit load of players in return, mark my words, when his deal is up and if he struggles in the playoffs again they will probably move Curry

This series absolutely, but it's never been the case before. Especially the last two games they played in the regular season. OKC's roster is equipped to limit him in some ways, but this much? To where he looks completely ineffective in every way? I dunno. If Steph Curry is suddenly a guy who can be contained by the likes of Enes Kanter when he's fully healthy then the Warriors are screwed.

Not that I'm certain MVP-level Steph would save them considering OKC is dominating so badly, but his absence certainly doesn't help.

Yeah, not that the Thunder aren't playing great defense, but Steph is passing up shots he normally takes. He just doesn't look right from a health standpoint.

Lmao I get that Lacob comes off as a douche sometimes, but c'mon brehs.

042514-NBA-Warriors-owner-Joe-Lacob.vadapt.664.high.12.jpg

When I asked him about the previous night's game, he could hardly contain himself. He boasted that the Warriors are playing in a far more sophisticated fashion than the rest of the league. "We've crushed them on the basketball court, and we're going to for years because of the way we've built this team," he said. But what really set the franchise apart, he said, was the way it operated as a business. "We're light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we're going to go about things," he said. "We're going to be a handful for the rest of the N.B.A. to deal with for a long time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom