• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to argue after imploding 2 times with dumb ass turnovers.

Yeah. From what i remember He also got like 4 fast break opportunity in the 2nd half that ended up being a okc turnover. Slip through his hands, stolen by green, blocked by someone and lost the dribble. Thats easy 8 points gone right there.

Dthomp

Yeah. From what i remember He also got like 4 fast break opportunity in the 2nd half that ended up being a okc turnover. Slip through his hands, stolen by green, blocked by someone and lost the dribble. Thats easy 8 points gone right there.

This! KD needs to learn to catch and shoot or get it in the post and take advantage of his height. He handles the ball OK, not good enough to be the dribbling playmaker he wants to be. Let WB set you up more. Way to many using the screens just to catch the ball and then dribble into a contest. I'd love to see them run a few plays here and there for Adams/Ibaka in the post and let them kick out to a set Durant if he's there. As is, while I'd be upset if KD left...it may be for the best in the longer run for this team the way he keeps coming up short

No lies detected. He doesn't have the handles or the passing skills to be doing those plays under pressure.

kaiju

Since the other thread got locked:

Lucky Yoda Socks

CjmJkK1VAAAlBk5.jpg

beat

This! KD needs to learn to catch and shoot or get it in the post and take advantage of his height. He handles the ball OK, not good enough to be the dribbling playmaker he wants to be.

Yeah, what's up with that? Is he just too tall to be able to dribble low? I imagine the Warriors are specifically practicing stripping him on the dribble.

Dthomp

Yeah, what's up with that? Is he just too tall to be able to dribble low? I imagine the Warriors are specifically practicing stripping him on the dribble.

It's hard to say but I think height has alot to do with it, that and he kind of dribbles lazily in my eyes. He doesn't really have a big frame to keep his defender further from the ball too but he's really clumsy going from dribble into a drive when there are hands in there

When you win 7 out of 10 games against teams that won 73 and 67 games during the regular season, one would think you have turned the corner and finally found something that was missing. But nope, that 4th quarter was LeBron-esque vs Dallas type performance. Almost like they got scared to win. Thompson was incredible, which makes the unanimous MVP seem like an even bigger joke than it was. Both of these teams (and the Spurs and to some degree the Cavs) are so stacked with good players.

I guess it's possible that OKC pulls a miracle and wins on the road, but I doubt it. They had two chances to win it. Played pretty good on the road and played good enough for three quarters at home. That leads to a summer vacation.

I think KD's problem with dribbling is his technique. Firstly he dribbles extremely low which makes it much harder for him to transition from dribbling to shooting or passing. A huge majority of his turnovers come from him getting stripped while bringing the ball back. The second is he dribbles way too narrow when he's not doing a cross-over. If he dribbled out to the side and used his off hand to protect the ball - like every 13 year old point guard learns to do - suddenly he wouldn't have half the trouble.

I mean some of the turnovers KD commits remind me of the under 17 team I coach and not an NBA team. At least when Westbrook turns it over it's usually because he's trying to make a play or driving to the rim, when KD turns it over it's usually such a pathetic TO where he loses the ball on the way to the rim.

Not sure why this is being called a choke. Klay and Steph earned this by going absolutely bananas. Not like OKC blew a massive lead.

Because people still don't want to give the Warriors credit for being a great team, or for Klay playing out if his mind.

It's ok though.

Game 7 it is.

Fjordson

Did Hack-a-Bogut backfire by adding to Roberson's foul total too early?
Yeah I think it might have. He also picked up a cheap one fouling Iguodala to stop a fast break in the second quarter. Was an unimportant play at the time, but came back to haunt OKC I think.

rambis

Banned
Both of these teams seemed dead tired in the 4th. I don't know how much juice they are going to bring to the Finals. Two days of rest max and Cavs have been relaxing.

And they both seem so flawed as well. OKC just doesn't have competent offense and cannot execute for shit. They can run a score up but any close game and they are just average. They are reminding me of Toronto with less shooters although they obviously have a better main duo.

Golden State looks just like they did in the Finals outside of Thompson. They have to do alot of finding themselves if they want to beat a healthy Cleveland.

All three of these times are fairly even though, this blowout nonsense is just that.

Issue being tired and a mind game. This is the biggest factors of another game for okc and the confidence momentum for gs.

So this is why they need to shut down thier scoring and win all that back during the game.

I think Westbrook handles this better than Durant though.

They need to be a bit angry and play well, as long as they do that and not play fearful they should win.

Gs fans had been real quite and loud again, feel a lot of people just don't like gs or the fans which is also common for any team that is liked a lot but feels more nba teams dislike them more than usual.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
3 days GAF and the rest of the internet:

GSW MOST OVERRATED OF ALL TIME/Curry sucks/WB Durant best duo ever.

late last night/today:

OKC Overrated Durant sucks!

Funny how 3 days change everything... wish fans could just admit it's a game and someone loses and wins every night... and it's tough to play at peak performance for 90+ games a year

I think KD's problem with dribbling is his technique. Firstly he dribbles extremely low which makes it much harder for him to transition from dribbling to shooting or passing. A huge majority of his turnovers come from him getting stripped while bringing the ball back. The second is he dribbles way too narrow when he's not doing a cross-over. If he dribbled out to the side and used his off hand to protect the ball - like every 13 year old point guard learns to do - suddenly he wouldn't have half the trouble.

I mean some of the turnovers KD commits remind me of the under 17 team I coach and not an NBA team. At least when Westbrook turns it over it's usually because he's trying to make a play or driving to the rim, when KD turns it over it's usually such a pathetic TO where he loses the ball on the way to the rim.

That first paragraph is so wrong my head hurts. You are supposed to keep the ball low and close to your body. The lower the ball the harder it is to steal, same with it being closer to your body. If a defender tries to swipe a ball close to the body he is more likely to commit a foul.

When have you ever seen a good dribbler in a half court set dribbling high and away from his body for extended periods?

late last night/today:

Funny how 3 days change everything... wish fans could just admit it's a game and someone loses and wins every night... and it's tough to play at peak performance for 90+ games a year

well said

late last night/today:

all of the GAF and the whole internet!? holy smokes. i'm just impressed that something, ANYTHING, could bring GAF and the internet together to agree on something

bionic77

late last night/today:

That's internet analysis.

It can definitely bother fans of the losing team. Especially when you had it in your hands, only to be taken away.

The pressure is so intense. Hell you lose a week of your life if you are just a fan of these teams. I can't imagine what it's like for the players.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If you think Steph played better than Westbrook in that game you ignorant

Curry was there at the end when they really needed it. It was the first time he acted like a leader this series. Even though they were behind, he hit a few key 3's at the end.

Westbrook wasn't. He choked and gave some vital turnovers.

Last night, the key to OKC seem to be Ibara coming up big on offense when they needed it or a big defense play by Roberson. On the other hand, Westbrook and Durant choked.

Because people still don't want to give the Warriors credit for being a great team, or for Klay playing out if his mind.

It's ok though.

Game 7 it is.

I should give them credit for OKC not being able to make a simple pass or run a play? OKC choked. Klay put the pressure on them with his shotmaking.

Curry was there at the end when they really needed it. It was the first time he acted like a leader this series. Even though they were behind, he hit a few key 3's at the end.

Westbrook wasn't. He choked and gave some vital turnovers.

Last night, the key to OKC seem to be Ibara coming up big on offense when they needed it or a big defense play by Roberson. On the other hand, Westbrook and Durant choked.

You know you lack all objectivity when you try to justify a player that no showed the series and don't give credit to the player that brought the fire and the intensity in the do or die game as well. That was Klay. He has saved GSW season so far. He's mad underrated and has been the best player for GSW on these playoffs so far.

This! KD needs to learn to catch and shoot or get it in the post and take advantage of his height. He handles the ball OK, not good enough to be the dribbling playmaker he wants to be. Let WB set you up more. Way to many using the screens just to catch the ball and then dribble into a contest. I'd love to see them run a few plays here and there for Adams/Ibaka in the post and let them kick out to a set Durant if he's there. As is, while I'd be upset if KD left...it may be for the best in the longer run for this team the way he keeps coming up short

He's a good post-up player and has been for a few years. It's not always in the low post but he's been effective with it and its a decent part of his offense (8 to 9 percent of his offensive plays I think). Same with catch and shoot. He's already good at these things.

And he's a good playmaker for his size, too. The issue this season has been Donovan's insistence on effectively making KD the backup PG. It started after the All-Star break and it's just exacerbated the team's bad habits. It seems pretty clearly a move to let KD initiate the offense more since for much of the first half of the season his touches in that area were down. Donovan went too far at the beginning of the season with trying to give Westbrook more touches and overcorrected for Durant after the All-Star break.

The team doesn't know what to do for the most part other than work their ball handlers, and after KD and Russ, they don't have any good ones. So you end up with Durant playing a lot of ugly basketball where in prior years he Jackson or Harden to take some of that load.

And teams know that. And they know that KD's going to be forcing a bad pass or dribble because the Thunder don't know what else to do. They have always been a team that focuses on their ball handlers and it falls apart when you only have two.

Even if the offense at crunch time has to devolve into a 1/5 or 3/5 pick and roll for the Thunder...at least run some actions to make it not so obvious or at least get the defense moving (like a dribble handoff or weave into pick and roll.) I mean it's always triggered at the same spot too..

BadAss2961

More like he's damn near 7 feet tall and plays like a guard. Ball is gonna get stolen sometimes if he dribbles too much.

kaiju

Watching those 4th quarter highlights is something else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xnoo7YpEV8

Everyone knows Klay was on fire, but that 3 by Barnes and the layup by Iggy late were key. And then Curry goes in for the fatality.

But the biggest moment not sure everyone caught is the final seconds. Curry steals the ball and dribbles it over to the Warriors bench, tosses it onto the court as time expires and heads straight for the locker room.

With his head down, the disdain on KD's face was telling. One hell of a statement has been made.

UncleMeat

Gotta give it up to Klay and crew and they might have won anyway, but 6 turnovers on last 8 possessions (all by KD & Russ) is most definitely a choke by OKC.

It was also the only time I can remember Russ being so passive. Usually even if KD is on fire Russ will still try to get his. In the 4th qtr it seemed like he was just trying to force it to KD every possession. With KD being cold I would've much rather seen the Russ attack/pick and roll game than all the iso ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom