• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
More like OKC started looking like OKC. Hurried passes to KD where he holds the ball usually to get off a terrible forced shot. Its crazy how the ball just stops moving on that team in crunch time.

Yep:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/5/30/11808248/thunder-clutch-offense-kevin-durant-russell-westbrook

These issues are nothing new for the Thunder. They explain why Donovan was brought in to replace old coach Scott Brooks in the first place, and they also help explain why the Thunder finished 18 games behind Golden State in the regular season. The difference in these playoffs is that the Thunder have masked these flaws by playing sublime defense and using their length and speed to run opponents off the floor.

Game 6 was indeed an extreme example of a common problem. No team threw fewer passes per game than the Thunder this year, and only the Lakers averaged more time per touch, according to NBA.com's player tracking data. The problem has only worsened in the playoffs. Oklahoma City players are holding onto the ball for longer periods of time, tossing even fewer passes and attacking via isolations even more frequently, according to NBA.com. The narrative about Donovan finally enforcing the virtues of pinging the ball around the floor just isn't true.

Possessions like this one from Game 6, where Russell Westbrook transforms into a Jose Calderon clone whose sole job is to get the ball to Kevin Durant and get out of the way, are common in close games.

n the playoffs, the Thunder are scoring just 87.2 points per 100 possessions in the last five minutes of games that are within five points, according to NBA.com. For some perspective, the Sixers, the NBA's worst offensive team this year, averaged 96.6 points per 100 possessions during the regular season. Oklahoma City's crunch-time offense in the playoffs (where admittedly defenses tighten up) is nearly 10 points worse.

That's what happens when your offense devolves into a system centered around your two stars essentially taking turns.

More like OKC started looking like OKC. Hurried passes to KD where he holds the ball usually to get off a terrible forced shot. Its crazy how the ball just stops moving on that team in crunch time.

true. igoudala is nothing special. any bum off the street could've guarded those sad sack thunders players for sure!

beat

I don't think Steph is 100%. I think the Portland comeback and game 6 of this series were about his defenders tiring out faster than he does at the end of games. So when they're that tired, 70% (or whatever) Steph can do MVP Steph things.

(OK, he was also rusty in the first few quarters of the Portland game, true.)

This is a great read about Kobe vs Iggy in '05:

It wasn’t his favorite, though. That came way back on Nov. 11, 2005.
“Kobe in his prime,” Iguodala said while hiding from the throng of reporters, preferring his teammates get the attention after Game 6.
Iguodala, then in his second season with Philadelphia, drew the assignment of checking Kobe Bryant. Young and spry, at the peak of his athleticism, Iguodala was all over the Lakers star in the 76ers’ win.
Kobe finished with 17 points on 7-for-27 shooting, a big deal since he is from Philly.
“It was on the front page of the paper,” Iguodala said. “After the game, Phil Jackson said it was the best he’d seen someone defend Kobe.
”

Andre also remembered the next time he faced Kobe that same season, and the do-everything Warriors super sub is hoping the same thing doesn’t happen in Game 7 Monday night against Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook:

When the 76ers came to Los Angeles later that 2005-06 season, Kobe came by the Philadelphia locker room. Iguodala wasn’t in there, but Kobe left a message.
“Tell Andre 50 tonight
troll.png
,” Iguodala said, recalling the message relayed to him. “You know how much he got — 48.”
francis.png

mjlol.png

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
espn is back on golden states nuts. means golden state will probably lose.

shame cause i want curry to roast bron bron.

I didnt think Warriors would come back from a 3-1 deficit but they proved me wrong so Im not gonna go against them tonight. I would rather have OKC win but Im not gonna doubt the defending champs again

Joei

i'll never feel bad. he way he did theland i could never forgive. the only reason they accepted him back is because they know they need him.

I've never been a huge Lebron fan (Cleveland fan through and through), but I find Curry infinitely more unlikable. He gets away with gloating and showboating like no one else would. I swear if anyone else started dancing after every made shot, they'd get a T, he gets encouraged to do it.

Servbot24

Banned
I've never been a huge Lebron fan (Cleveland fan through and through), but I find Curry infinitely more unlikable. He gets away with gloating and showboating like no one else would. I swear if anyone else started dancing after every made shot, they'd get a T, he gets encouraged to do it.
Eh? He's pretty much always expressionless unless he makes a buzzer beater or several consecutive 3s.

Granted he does do those somewhat regularly, but I think you're just searching for any reason to backlash against hype.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Exaggerate much? I swear, the irrational hate Curry has gotten lately. I guess it comes with being the best right now but still... Seems excessive to this Warriors fan.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Welcome to the last 10 years of LeBron's existence. Enjoy your stay.
Yeah, I get it. I'm a huge Lebron fan too. The basketball he was playing during those 2 title years was some of the best I've ever seen. Guy is amazing. That being said, he did give haters plenty of ammo. I don't see much ammo with Curry except occasionally dancing and the media constantly drooling over him.

Fjordson

Geez guys, I'm sorry I said anything negative about your lord Curry. My apologies, it won't happen again.
You're not wrong that Curry is lowkey cocky. It's just silly that it bothers you at all.

People need to stop caring when athletes showboat. They're playing meaningless games for millions of dollars. The entire thing is silly entertainment.

Raptor fans how do you feel about Demar now? Seems like he doesn't want to leave and toronto has shown no signs yet that they won't give him the max.

not a Raps fan but he seems like exactly the kind of guy that you DON'T give the max to. Can't shoot. Can't defend. Not much versatility. Granted he's young, but the moment he loses even half a step he will become worthless. Doesn't have enough other skill to offset that. I hope to god that the Lakers really aren't interested in him. We can just resign Jordan Clarkson to like half of what it would take to get DeMar and the back court situation will be fine going forward. I have to think Masai is too smart to resign him.

Jarate

Banned
Lakers offseason of struggle

Step 1: Trade #2 pick for Okafor
Step 2: Give a max deal to Demar Derozan
Step 3: Dont match the RFA cōntract Jordan Clarkson will get
Step 4: Sign Joakim Noah to a large multiyear contract
Step 5: Sign Rajon Rondo to a 2 year max for no reason
Step 6: Kobe comes out of retirement for 1 more year and demands Byron Scott becomes the coach again

Is there something specific in game 6 that you are referring to in regards to Curry's cockiness? The prayer thing he always does?

the cockiest I saw Curry was when Adams came over to guard him and he turned around, dribbled and started pounding his chest.. goaded him over and then went for a layup.

It was SO HYPE though.

Yeah, it really sucks to watch people who are passionate about what they do have a good time doing it. Especially when they are in the realm of competitive sports.

Hopefully, they enforce a no smiling rule next year and everyone who gets to the playoffs receives their own Larry O'Brien. Must be sad to lose and I'm sure Lebron could use some more paperweights for all those stacks of money.

Joei

Yeah, it really sucks to watch people who are passionate about what they do have a good time doing it. Especially when they are in the realm of competitive sports.

Hopefully, they enforce a no smiling rule next year and everyone who gets to the playoffs receives their own Larry O'Brien. Must be sad to lose and I'm sure Lebron could use some more paperweights for all those stacks of money.

Way to take what I said out context. Of course again, I apologize for saying I feel like I'm watching dancing with the Stars when he plays.

spyder_ur

So pumped for tonight, I have a feeling it's going to be a good one. Big game for Durant - he needs to show out even if it's in a loss.

Why does this have to start at 9 instead of 8? Annoying.

Warriors should hand out t-shirts with Lil B's face on them. Sing it loud and sing it proud.

You said that I'm whack, see me on the court
Score on me if you talking bout points
I like Roc Nation and I love JAY Z
But I'm west side I'm screaming fuck KD

Fuck Kevin Durant man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom