• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Regular Season 2017-18 |OT| KD's chip, IT's hip, LeBron's Sinking Ship

They may not go, but at some point some superstar is going to end up signing there, especially if they have the cap room to sign two max guys. The allure of turning the Lakers back into a competent franchise has to be tempting.

Marcus Smart will sign with the Lakers and lead them back to the promise land in 2018.

To give themselves flexibility. Maybe free agents will come maybe they won't, but Dangelo Russel isn't making or breaking this franchise.

Tbh, I still don't like it too much. Could've at least tried putting Russell and Lonzo together, and I think Mozgov's contract doesn't cost so much when one less year is on that contract

Tbh, I still don't like it too much. Could've at least tried putting Russell and Lonzo together, and I think Mozgov's contract doesn't cost so much when one less year is on that contract

They were not moving Mozgov or Deng's contracts without attaching either Russell, Ingram or the lottery pick. If this front office has eyes on free agency, it was necessary. Keep in mind DLo wasn't picked by the current front office, so they probably weren't as attached to it. It was a lot of give up, I'm not going to pretend it wasn't a salary dump, but it was the price they had to pay to remedy Mitch and Jim's mistake. I think D'Lo is talented, but I don't think he's ever going to be a top 1 or 2 type guy.

They were not moving Mozgov or Deng's contracts without attaching either Russell, Ingram or the lottery pick. If this front office has eyes on free agency, it was necessary. Keep in mind DLo wasn't picked by the current front office, so they probably weren't as attached to it. It was a lot of give up, I'm not going to pretend it wasn't a salary dump, but it was the price they had to pay to remedy Mitch and Jim's mistake. I think D'Lo is talented, but I don't think he's ever going to be a top 1 or 2 type guy.

I know.

They're not not attaching one of those dudes, and Brook Lopez will be great for a year, but you guys could've gotten more if there was one less year on Mosgov's deal. 2 years is easier to swallow than one, especially after a team knows its current season is a lost one.

Also, way too early to say anything about Ball, I just enjoy seeing Beverley snatching a hyped rookie's lunch.

Considering the trash they are currently fielding on the court DLo wouldn't have hurt.

Build a good team first and then go after free agents.

I mean, sure, but that move wasn't made with this season in mind. Russell wasn't traded because he sucked. He was traded because he's pretty good, and it took a pretty good player to get Brooklyn to agree to take Mozgov's shit contract.

Ball is out rebounding Lopez.....smh.....

Smh.

Brook Lopez has ALWAYS been a center with low rebounding numbers, but who increases the rebounding of the team in general when he's out on the floor. He's either boxing out and playing smart getting opponents away from the rebound, or he's stretching the floor and as a result is keeping the opposing bigs away from the basket

I think the era of free agents like Shaq coming to a crap Lakers team just because it's LA is probably gone.

I think between the decision, KD leaving to join the best team in the league, Kyrie requesting a trade from an ECF, Chris Paul leaving a large market playoff team, ect...the days of predicting player agency is what is gone. These guys are going to do whatever the fuck they want.

Beverley +22 right now, leading the Clippers.

I love and miss him so much. Gonna go back to Houston for his first game back, will be my second game of all time, first game in years.

Lol at Ingram unable to finish over Milos.

It's only gone until the next star does it.

What superstar wants to lock himself in that crap Lakers team with all the superteams floating around?

Shaq went in there and made them a serious team immediately because there just weren't any superteams back then.

hitme

Lonzo is like that PG you create in MyCareer trying to get all the stats, but he doesn't enough experience to increase his attributes.

What superstar wants to lock himself in that crap Lakers team with all the superteams floating around?

Shaq went in there and made a serious team immediately because there just weren't any superteams back then.

The Lakers can make room for two max guys, if Lonzo turns out to be good that team could turn into something pretty quickly. They'll probably have to find a way to dump the Ingram contract though.

Shaq went in there and made a serious team immediately because there just weren't any superteams back then.

You mean like when LeBron signed with a lottery team in Cleveland? These guys want to go anyplace that is going to give them free reign and mold them however they want. Players have more control in the NBA than they ever have. I don't think there is any guarantee that the Lakers will sign PG or LeBron or anybody else, but it wouldn't at all surprise me. If those guys want to sign in LA, it won't be because they'll look at the roster and say "Hmm, those guys aren't good enough", it'll be because the front office is going to treat the team like a blank slate for them. Flexibility is what is important.

random25

A superstar will come to the Lakers if there's another star player to come over there. Basically, it's gonna be at least a duo or bust.

You mean like when LeBron signed with a lottery team in Cleveland? These guys want to go anyplace that is going to give them free reign and mold them however they want. Players have more control in the NBA than they ever have. I don't think there is any guarantee that the Lakers will sign PG or LeBron or anybody else, but it wouldn't at all surprise me. If those guys want to sign in LA, it won't be because they'll look at the roster and say "Hmm, those guys aren't good enough", it'll be because the front office is going to treat the team like a blank slate for them. Flexibility is what is important.

Cavs had Kyrie. Who on the Lakers will be as good as Kyrie was in 2013 come next offseason?

Cavs had Kyrie. Who one the Lakers will be as good as Kyrie was in 2013?

In this hypothetical scenario, whoever LeBron wants to bring with him with the extra cap space. The point is these guys do whatever they want. I don't know how many crazy offseason have to happen before people realize that.

Also Kyrie in 2013 was an unknown commodity. He played like 50 games a year and put up decent stats on garbage teams.

Jarate

Banned
THe Lakers lost their 2 best offensive players (Russel and Young) and replaced them with Brook and Lonzo, both of which arent nearly as good shooters.

Brook is the only semi decent iso scorer. this is gonna be a rough year

Top Bottom