• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K11 Season 10 Xbox 360 League Thread of Hope and Redemption

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Smokey said:
Just curious, would the league be down for one large season with the normal 82 games or 40 games like it is now per season? I'm assuming we will do more than one season anyway like we used to so a lot of games will get played anyway.
What's the usual rate of people that start, but don't finish, the usual 30 game league? I'd be interested in an 82 game schedule, but it would suck if we were down to 16 human-controlled teams by the All-Star break.

DCX

DCX
Smokey, based on our games last night do you think maybe doing 9 or 10 minute qrts would help? Or are we just defensive demons :p

DCX

82 game season would be fucking great if everyone else is on board. I doubt it though, cause I can imagine people would get sick of playing with their team pretty fast and want to try something new.

But, if we advanced once a week, one season would take like almost 4-5 months including playoffs.

ecnal

DCX said:
Smokey, based on our games last night do you think maybe doing 9 or 10 minute qrts would help? Or are we just defensive demons :p

DCX

gotta play different style imo.

im playing my second game right now on all-star, 5 min quarters, default everything else, and i already have 38 pts @ the half on 58% shooting.

if you play like you did in 2k9/2k10, you will not do well. period.

LiveWire

I should have this shortly after work. Smokey or any other vets, if you're around let's get a game or two in, I'm prepared to be schooled but I'll need the practice.

Mrbob

82 is way too long. 40 is a nice balance for getting a decent amount of games in and not feeling like the season is overextended. I think each new season brings a rebirth of sorts back to the league.

ecnal

god damn.

love how there is no more super recovery on defense.

guys who are open are actually open now--no super speed animation for the contest.

ecnal

w7d8c5.jpg

2ni2tz4.jpg

meet the new goat: jj redick :lol

all-star, 5 min Q's, default everything else, didn't run a single set play.

game plays significantly different from 2K10/9. no more running around through PnR all game or breaking people down with iso--it just doesn't work.

however, for people who are intimidated, you don't have to run the set plays to be effective. there are plenty of other things you can do to run a nice offense.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
ecnal said:
god damn.

love how there is no more super recovery on defense.

guys who are open are actually open now--no super speed animation for the contest.
Yeah, I had a chance to play the full version on Saturday night. Smokey and I were just talking about how nice it is to see the defensive awareness bumped up a bit. Definitely seems to force some more realistic ball movement when in the half court.

Oop accuracy has been toned down even further, too, which is good IMO. If you're not throwing an alley-oop under pretty good circumstances, you're not going to convert. Fast break off-the-backboard oops to a trailing teammate looks niiiiiice, too.

UPS CANNOT DELIVER MY COPY FAST ENOUGH.

Smokey

DCX said:

DCX

nah

the first thing we did was play each other...that had a lot to do with it.

ecnal

anachronous_one said:
Yeah, I had a chance to play the full version on Saturday night. Smokey and I were just talking about how nice it is to see the defensive awareness bumped up a bit. Definitely seems to force some more realistic ball movement when in the half court.

Oop accuracy has been toned down even further, too, which is good IMO. If you're not throwing an alley-oop under pretty good circumstances, you're not going to convert. Fast break off-the-backboard oops to a trailing teammate looks niiiiiice, too.

UPS CANNOT DELIVER MY COPY FAST ENOUGH.

i dunno how i feel about this right now... i think in general i agree with you.

however, in certain scenarios--especially fastbreak and back-door cuts--oop success rates seem too high.

haven't played on HOF yet though, doin it right now.

edit:

and this is driving me crazy; 2K why the fuck can't you make a simple hot-streak check that has both points and FG%. why do we have to go from only showing pts (2k9) to only fg % (2k10) back to only pts?! :lol

ecnal

HOF, 5 min Q's, default everything else:

33lcdhy.jpg

the only difference between my games on HOF vs all-star/superstar is the FG%. seems like you just arbitrarily miss shots on HOF--even if wide open.

CPU offense is awful in these games. they run the same handful of plays and you can easily predict what's going to happen :/

thought the CPU ai might be interesting this year, but on HOF the cpu still just relies on 2K running you and hitting a ton of highly contested shots.

Vestal

LiveWire said:
0 free throws? 1 foul? That's not the NBA I know!

From what Ive noticed, you hardly get fouled on the outside.. Fouls Ive taken in the Challenge mode have mostly been penetrating through traffic.

Last game I played against the Knicks, Jordan and Pippen both went to the line 8 a piece.

DCX

DCX
Well, 2k updated the rosters. I do have Mozgod and Ewing Jr now :) No Landry Fields though :(

DCX

Shurs

A thought on Free Agents, as I'd like to see them in play.

Aside from AI, Hughes and Skip, there aren't any free agents with an overall rating above 70. I think it's safe to say that if a player has a rating of 65 or less, they're not what most would call a "Game Changer." That being said, for the lesser teams, the Free Agents might offer some decent depth.

What do you say to allowing pickups of Free Agents with a rating of 65 or less? We can have a reverse order of the way that teams were picked, letting the worse teams get a shot at the top players (65 or less) of a mediocre group. If a team picks up a Free Agent, they'd have to wait for all of the other teams to pick or pass before they could pick up another player.

If we keep the top tier (66+) guys off-limits, or require that, in order to get a player 66+, a team would have to release a player of equal overall rating, I think this would keep things in check, and not be unfair to the top tier teams.

Whaddya say?

DCX

DCX
Shurs said:
A thought on Free Agents, as I'd like to see them in play.

Aside from AI, Hughes and Skip, there aren't any free agents with an overall rating above 70. I think it's safe to say that if a player has a rating of 65 or less, they're not what most would call a "Game Changer." That being said, for the lesser teams, the Free Agents might offer some decent depth.

What do you say to allowing pickups of Free Agents with a rating of 65 or less? We can have a reverse order of the way that teams were picked, letting the worse teams get a shot at the top players (65 or less) of a mediocre group. If a team picks up a Free Agent, they'd have to wait for all of the other teams to pick or pass before they could pick up another player.

If we keep the top tier (66+) guys off-limits, or require that, in order to get a player 66+, a team would have to release a player of equal overall rating, I think this would keep things in check, and not be unfair to the top tier teams.

Whaddya say?
Or we can have a similar FA Draft after 15 games in the season. Teams with the worst records get place at the top. One round or two depending.

DCX

Shurs

DCX said:
Or we can have a similar FA Draft after 15 games in the season. Teams with the worst records get place at the top. One round or two depending.

DCX

But I want Robert Swift NOW!

142t2de.jpg

Smokey

DCX said:

DCX

Sounds workable to me.

Also: Hoping to kick off the league tournament next week, so I'll be posting info on that in the next couple of days. Winner gets $25 gift card.

im down for the 82 game thing, but i think 40 is good because if you hate your team, you won't get stuck with them forever, and it will give the rookies a chance to learn, and not get killed every game for 82 games. i think 40 should be max...if only 2k had all-star games in the online leagues, then i would want 82 haha

DCX

DCX
WITNESS2K9 said:
im down for the 82 game thing, but i think 40 is good because if you hate your team, you won't get stuck with them forever, and it will give the rookies a chance to learn, and not get killed every game for 82 games. i think 40 should be max...if only 2k had all-star games in the online leagues, then i would want 82 haha
Was talking to Smokey about that. If only 2K introduced a franchise mode. Draft, All star game where if you wanted to you can control your superstar in the game if he made it from your team, draft....ah..perfection.

DCX

Smokey

WITNESS2K9 said:

good points young one.

it shall stay at 40 then.

a 82 game schedule would be sweet though

Smokey said:
good points young one.

it shall stay at 40 then.

a 82 game schedule would be sweet though

yeah im 19, i be forever young haha...nah but yeah 82 games might be too much...i might lose faith in Monta mid-season haha

after playing a game against FiveRing (Blazers) and Smokey (Rockets), i can say that Monta and Curry both have the no trade clause:lol . im not giving up David Lee either, but everybody else is up for trade

Smokey

WITNESS2K9 said:
after playing a game against FiveRing (Blazers) and Smokey (Rockets), i can say that Monta and Curry both have the no trade clause:lol . im not giving up David Lee either, but everybody else is up for trade

They are basically the same player in this game. You won't win with that, let's talk.

LukeSmith

I suck at this game, now I know how Pheenix feels playing Madden ;b

I will be open to scrims and learning constantly, friends

Cloudy

Banned
Game is good. I suck but I'm ready to go. Anyone up for a scrim after the Yankees game?

ps: I'm down for an 82 game season as long as it's a reasonable amount of games to play per week...

What's the usual rate of people that start, but don't finish, the usual 30 game league? I'd be interested in an 82 game schedule, but it would suck if we were down to 16 human-controlled teams by the All-Star break.

That is why we should have a pay-in like the ps3 guys IMO

ecnal

fuck, so it's not just dcx and i?

-_-

lame as shit 2K. there's only ~19K people on, and you can't even handle that? really?

Top Bottom