• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K12 |OT| Lebron 4th Quarter Lockout Edition

pilonv1

http://www.operationsports.com/news/513870/nba-2k12-developer-insight-13-online-assocation/

rivate Associations are user-created and require a password to be entered before they can be joined by other players. Private Associations allow for a greater sense of league customization and, essentially, allow the commissioner to control just about anything that happens within the league.

Sounded great two weeks ago. Now we know of these issues:

No slider changes
Can't play for 15hrs+ after creation
Can't invite anyone
Can't see who's online
Can't use edited rosters
No scrimmages
No flex schedules
Can't sim ahead
No website

For this they took away seasons + crews.

Pretty bad that they're making Madden's utter bare bones Online Franchise mode look professional.

Fjordson

Well, offline is pretty fun. Really liking My Player. Though the defense is a bit too sticky in the post. Tough starting out as a big man.

OperationSports is full of people with their heads so far up their ass and yet they still can't see shit.

By far they are one of the most pompous, arrogant, elitist boards out there.

They cannot see any flaws with the game because any flaws seemingly means that you aren't playing "sim" enough (don't get me started on that shit).

So it's no suprise flaw threads are getting deleted.

sorry...had to vent for a bit.

I like this game for what it is and once the NBA stops being dumb, I will get a whole lot of time out of it but for those who play online it's just shite.

EA needs to get it together and actually compete. JesusBynum died for your sins...now make your second chance count.

I still like this game but it has it's warts

mr stroke

is it me is the online completely busted?
xbox360 and I can't find a game or I get "servers offline" or a game will start then "disconnect check your connection"

operation sports forums seem to have the issues

WTF!!!!

????

:(

The M.O.B

I hate/love My Player mode.

I hate that the only logic of whether you move further up in the lineup is your own teammate score. What about the scores of the CPU teammates? The idiots who continually mess up and force you to cover for their mistakes? In fact, all of the logic in this game is crap. Like Washington drafting my 6'3 point guard who is a Wall clone.

I hate all the fluff. Half-time report are meaningless and take 30 seconds just to skip through it, post interviews are lame and only prolongs getting to the next game. I want to play basketball, no listen to this crap.

I hate how it doesn't reward you enough for proper teamwork, it rewards you more for getting dem stats. It doesn't care if you put pressure on a guard to allow your teammate to steal the bad pass that I forced, you get nothing. The worse is when you get penalized for making supposedly a bad pass that actually ends up being a perfect alley-oop. Or my 6'3 point guard being responsible for fouling Lebron(Who was playing as a SF this moment) on the fast break, WTF i'm a PG not a tank, It was either get scored on or foul. I choose to foul just like in real life and I still get penalized. I got back on defense

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I would also like to pop in and express how much i hate the masses at operation sports. And that, as a primarily online sports gamer, NBA 2k12 has proven to be one of the most useless games i've ever purchased in my life.

Ferny

pilonv1 said:
Sounded great two weeks ago. Now we know of these issues:

No slider changes
Can't play for 15hrs+ after creation
Can't invite anyone
Can't see who's online
Can't use edited rosters
No scrimmages
No flex schedules
Can't sim ahead
No website

No sliders for sure
It's 11hrs on slow setting, so not sure where 15+ is from.
You can't invite but most people that want to join you can just give them the info.
Flex schedules are in...sure you can't play out your WHOLE season but you do get a block of games that you can play in any order.

It is certainly less than what we had last year in a sense but Im not having anything issues in most of the areas above.

mr stroke

a day later and "Servers are still down"

and this game got 9's? did any reviewers bother to play this online?

LOL 2K

DMczaf

mr stroke said:
a day later and "Servers are still down"

and this game got 9's? did any reviewers bother to play this online?

Even though I hate Pastapadre's style, I give him credit for pushing for sports game reviews to put a lot of weight on how the online holds up.

These 2K12 reviews have been a complete and utter joke.

pilonv1

Trade logic in this game is fucking stupid.

4 weeks into My Player, drafted by Golden State.

Epke Udoh & Dorell Wright for Nate Robinson & Nick Collison (yes the Warriors end up with Nate, Monta and Steph)

then a week later

David Lee & Al Thornton for Hedo Turkoglu & Daniel Orton.

So they end up with this roster - Ellis, Robinson, Curry, Bell, Lin, Williams, Hedo, Orton, Biedrins, Collison, Radmanovic and my player. Within four weeks of the start of the season.

And the Spurs traded Manu Ginobili for Mehmet Okur & Francisco Elson. I can only imagine what will happen in the next 4 weeks.

I think I'll shelve this after I finish the Legends mode, it's just pathetic.

zychi

Banned
I love me some 2k sports games, but you guys should have still been skeptical since mlb 2k didnt even boot when it came out on xbox, and ever year the online sucks. plus lockout means the game is pointless.

if the lockout ends ill pick it up with a patch, but i'm silently laughing at the people who spent money on the lockout version of 2k.

Smokey

Red Blaster said:
Op Sports are starting to lock every thread I create about issues in this game lulz.

Smokey, I think you might need to do another videogame scam of the year thread.

I don't think it's as scammy as NBA2K10. It will be pretty hard to ever top that. But at the same time I'm not going to put in the time and energy for an Online Association after everything I've ready. Maybe they will address some stuff in a patch, but I doubt it. Unfortunate.

Im sick of yall complaining in every thread you can

Stop whining like freaking babies and wait on the patch

The game hasnt been out a week yet and yall are crying like a bunch of women

Ohh 2k i cant believe you, I cant believe i have to think, I cant believe i have to play defense, i cant believe i cant rely on the ai to bail me out anymore, i cant believe yall would stop me from driving in the lane every time

Give me a break, take the time out to use everything the game has provided first, otherwise you're in here as well as other threads making half informed complaints that people are sick of hearing already anyway

This was from a mod at Operation Sports.

ahuahuahuhau we're all fucked, I guess 2K11 was a one time thing.

The M.O.B

This franchise is going to become just like Madden, 2K is done having to actually try, they held on for a long time though I will admit. Now they are just content on sitting on their huge pile of money and putting out the same garbage product every year and having suckers buy it.

Hieberrr

cacophony said:
How do I get good at this game? My first game I got beat by 30 on freaking Pro. I just have no idea what to do.

Don't play on pro? Play on lower levels until you become comfortable.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
zychi said:
I love me some 2k sports games, but you guys should have still been skeptical since mlb 2k didnt even boot when it came out on xbox
Considering how much of an improvement 2K11 was when Wang came back from EA, there was no reason to be skeptical, except for the online side of things.

Smokey said:
I don't think it's as scammy as NBA2K10. It will be pretty hard to ever top that. But at the same time I'm not going to put in the time and energy for an Online Association after everything I've ready. Maybe they will address some stuff in a patch, but I doubt it. Unfortunate.
bummer, and here i was ready to launch another ps3 and pc league. :)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
cacophony said:
How do I get good at this game? My first game I got beat by 30 on freaking Pro. I just have no idea what to do.

the one thing that seemed to help my friends out the most was putting your hands up on defense.

block attempts don't appear to generate as high of a contest value as putting your hands up and being close when they take the shot. not to mention you can block passes.

pilonv1

Smokey said:

pheenix retires as second round virgin confirmed.

This is the last year I buy a 2k game near launch. Most of the MP stuff is fixable, however I'm not as optimistic about Online Association getting any help. Part of me thinks it's this broken so there are less leagues run and they have to put less effort into keeping their servers up.

This is the most fun I've had in a sports game in forever. The legends mode is ridiculously good, and I've learned enough of the controls to actually play basketball at a level that resembles quality.

I'm amazed at how doing the fundamentals well - finding the open man, mixing up the offense so the AI doesn't figure it out, and being patient with the ball - rewards you. On the flipside, constantly trying fast breaks, shooing when well defended, and throwing up nothing but 3's is a great way to get crushed.

I've avoided online so far awaiting for a fix. So that's why I'm loving this game. The 3 modes I've played (Legends, offline association, and my Player) have been better than amazing.

But that's just me.

wait wait wait

online association doesn't have scrimmages?

LOL

I feel like a used whore for even buying the PC version.

pilonv1

Scrimmages may exist but the online is so broken and it takes 15+hrs to set up an association that I don't think anyone has actually been able to confirm it 100%

mik

mik is unbeatable
mr stroke said:
did any reviewers bother to play this online?
Then there's the online. To call NBA 2K11's online play "problematic" would be generous. Having played their online team play right up until this month, I can tell you that random disconnects, lag, and other bouts of oddness were the rule, rather than the exception. Nothing I've seen so far with NBA 2K12 leads me to believe that we're in for significant improvement. In fact, rather than fixing the flawed and easily exploitable -- but undeniably fun -- Crew mode from 2K11, they simply excised it from the game altogether. I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the current online problems will all get cleaned up, but in two years' time, I haven't seen it happen. It's a real shame, too. Because when the online is working well, it's my favorite online sports experience by far.

HenryHSH

I'm playing as a PG in MyPlayer. Drafted 9th by the Bobcats, requested a trade to the Lakers, 18 games into the season. A few games later I get traded along with DJ Augustin for Pau Gasol and Shannon Brown. Kind of absurd, but I was happy to be a laker. We go on a 12 game winning streak then on the 13th game, the starting line up is all messed up. Theo Ratliff at C, Derek Character at PF and Tayshaun Prince at SF. What the fuck? I quit to the MP menu to find out that Bynum got injured (makes sense), and that triggered an Odom/Artest for Tayshaun Prince/Ben Gordon trade...

I hate that once you've got a few A+ grades and you're leading your team, you only get benched for 1 to 2 minutes at the start of the second quarter each game which is pretty annoying when you're doing 10+ min quarters.
I've had an instance where a 24pts lead was cut down to 2 while I was benched, and another game where I was down by 8 after leading by 15 in the first quarter.

So much to bitch about in this mode, but I keep playing... :/

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
This game blows online this year... Ugh just ugh

bjb

Banned
I just can't get over how awful Association (franchise) mode has been.

The trade logic is absolutely laughable. Some of the worst trades I've ever seen. The draft logic is even worse.

And lastly, the player tendencies haven't been updated in 3 years. Some players are averaging almost half their totals (either career or last season).

It would literally take 1-2 people a few hours at best to update this shit. Just unbelievable.

anddo0

bjb said:
I just can't get over how awful Association (franchise) mode has been.

The trade logic is absolutely laughable. Some of the worst trades I've ever seen. The draft logic is even worse.

And lastly, the player tendencies haven't been updated in 3 years. Some players are averaging almost half their totals (either career or last season).

It would literally take 1-2 people a few hours at best to update this shit. Just unbelievable.

Breaks my heart to hear this. I regret taking this out the shrinkwrap. I've barley played because of Dark Souls. So haven't experienced these issues first hand. I got it based of the 2K11 hype, now this :( Good thing I bought it with store credit. I'll give them some time to patch association, if not this will become a trade-in itself.

Messi

I have been playing the demo and I cant defend for shit (no idea how other than trying to steal and putting my hands up) and I have no idea how to do fancy dribbling or hell even a dunk would be nice.

:( have never played a 2k basketball game before and im finding it hard.

Spat_triate

Messi said:
I have been playing the demo and I cant defend for shit (no idea how other than trying to steal and putting my hands up) and I have no idea how to do fancy dribbling or hell even a dunk would be nice.

:( have never played a 2k basketball game before and im finding it hard.

Same here, there are wayyyyy too many controls to memorize. I got to the 'off the ball offense' tutorial and forgot everything else.

DrMungo

Yikes, people sound pretty pissed about this game. The demo played similar enough and with the lockout, I might just hang onto 2k11 for now. Also 2k11 has Yao, who is awesome in the post

Bebpo

Banned
If I don't care about having up to date Rosters and I don't play Online, should I get 2k11 or 2k12?

I haven't played 2k since like 2k7 or 2k8 and I'd given up on the series until I heard 2k11 was amazing but I just never got around to picking it up. Now kind of feeling like getting back into a good Basketball game, but dunno which one to buy.

The M.O.B

Bebpo said:
If I don't care about having up to date Rosters and I don't play Online, should I get 2k11 or 2k12?

I haven't played 2k since like 2k7 or 2k8 and I'd given up on the series until I heard 2k11 was amazing but I just never got around to picking it up. Now kind of feeling like getting back into a good Basketball game, but dunno which one to buy.

2K11

cacophony said:
Do you guys play on default, sim, casual or custom sliders

I roll with default

mik

mik is unbeatable
Bebpo said:
2K12 is a better game than 2K11 and the NBA's Greatest mode is probably reason enough to recommend it.

However, it's sixty bucks and you can probably find 2K11 for $15.

TheTowel

Bebpo said:

2k12 personally. Once I figured out the controls on offense and defense, it really is a better game. No more attack/signature move/make basket nonsense anymore. It's more difficult. Still problems with the game (online, some weird bugs) but the core game is greatly improved.

pilonv1

mik said:
However, it's sixty bucks and you can probably find 2K11 for $15.

Yep. Buying a 2k game at launch is asking for trouble, nothing works and it's full price. My Player isn't that different from last year, the Jordan mode is great and the rosters aren't that out of date because of the lockout.

I'd go with 2k11 for now, and revisit 2k12 if they've fixed up the non-roster stuff in a few months. Right now it's not worth $60

Don't see how anyone can recommend 2K12 given the fucked up state it's in at the moment.

TheTowel said:
2k12 personally. Once I figured out the controls on offense and defense, it really is a better game. No more attack/signature move/make basket nonsense anymore. It's more difficult. Still problems with the game (online, some weird bugs) but the core game is greatly improved.

It's more difficult because the AI doesn't play by the same rules as you do. Big Baby will never make a three when you're controlling him but he can swish them no problem if the AI has the reins.

haha "average team up grade: F" fdsjfdsjdfsfds most of the people had that today, was funny to see.

online was so shitty , the servers struggle just like last year :( but i got to at least finish the game.

grrrrrrrrrrr that person playing as D.Rose and hitting a 3 to force OT, A- rating with angry face perk B^)

oh well, back to red box but i'm #1 on goozex now so i'll get it again soon :D

TheTowel

Red Blaster said:
Don't see how anyone can recommend 2K12 given the fucked up state it's in at the moment.

It's more difficult because the AI doesn't play by the same rules as you do. Big Baby will never make a three when you're controlling him but he can swish them no problem if the AI has the reins.

That's how its worked has long as I've been playing the series. Usual bullshit, you have to play your best when playing above All Star.

I was saying it's more difficult because the defense doesn't glue onto the offense. It now takes the right balance of intense D, the right stick, and turbo. Much different than last year, especially the improved right stick on defense.

The new post play is a huge upgrade from last year. Hated it when the first 15 or so games, then it just clicked. I have more control and this gives me more options than last year. As a result, when playing someone who knows the new post play, I have to defend differently than I would have last year.

Look, I didn't like some of the changes when I first started playing. Right when they found a working formula in 2k10-11, they changed it up. Pissed me off to no end. Spent some time with the game, determined to learn the changes, and really enjoy them. They don't usually change shit for the hell of it. The removed of Y as signature move and incorporating it into the shot stick, after spending the weekend with the game, makes sense.

leehom

in my player mode, i'm 23-3 with the Milwaukee bucks (overall is 73)....so i think my player has something to do with that.

the trading system is broken. they traded stephen jackson for jamal crawford and someone else for shannon brown. we have 3-4 sg's on our team now -____-

at first i hated how difficult it was to score, but i'm starting to understand how to play the game better. can't do pump fakes and move a little to score a easy jumper like in 2k11. nor can you pump fake and drive to the basket getting a basket + foul every time. you actually have to use picks and shoot wide open jumpers or you'll miss most of your shots if you're contested.

Bollocks

It's here :)
As expected amazon.co.uk shipped the MJ version, now let's hope I learned from my mistakes last year, that I will dominate My Player this year ._.

bjb

Banned
anddo0 said:
Breaks my heart to hear this. I regret taking this out the shrinkwrap. I've barley played because of Dark Souls. So haven't experienced these issues first hand. I got it based of the 2K11 hype, now this :( Good thing I bought it with store credit. I'll give them some time to patch association, if not this will become a trade-in itself.

Yeah it's really unfortunate. It appears 2K is becoming the new Tiburon (Madden) where they just don't give a fuck anymore - packing as many gimmicks as possible into the game to make profit.

Modes like Association not being touched sucks, but when the entire roster hasn't even been updated, that's an absolute joke.

Bollocks

Is it me or is my player easier?
I finished the draft game with b- and 2/3 goals completed, was also the top scorer on my team whereas in 2k11 I was constantly getting d and just overall miserable.

Fjordson

Bebpo said:
If that's the case then 2K12. Gameplay feels so much better to me this year. And all the classic teams are awesome.

pilonv1

This is my favourite part of Online Association

Admin control is nearly non-existent and head-to-head games have had trouble connecting (and even if they do they’re plagued by the same problems found elsewhere online). If the server drops, which happens frequently, it’ll result in a sim of the game whether head-to-head or playing the CPU at the time with no option to reset results.

Too bad if you were beating someone and then it disconnects and you get simmed a loss.

Top Bottom