• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K8 Season 5 Interest Thread (360)

Smokey

CB3 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Wait wait wait... So my trade of Pau for Melo gets nixed, but a trade between the pistons and nuggets nets the pistons JR Smith AND Kenyon Martin for Gabe Pruitt, some scrub ive never heard of, and Fabio? :lol :lol

I dont understand...

Chauncy/JR/Rip = get ready for 3-pt HELL

What trade is this? I didn't even know this trade happened, so who approved it?

Anyway...

San Antonio v. Memphis is last game that needs to be played for this series. I'm advancing the schedule tonight..so is this game going to get played tonight?

Smokey Bones said:

What trade is this? I didn't even know this trade happened, so who approved it?

Anyway...

San Antonio v. Memphis is last game that needs to be played for this series. I'm advancing the schedule tonight..so is this game going to get played tonight?

Nay(Laker game)... Friday evening is the likely showdown.

Sorry Smokey, I accepted the trade. I didn't think there would be any controversy and it was right before AKA and I were going to play and we both wanted to have those guys for the game.

Anyways, if/when the league is advanced tonight do you want to try and play tonight Smokey?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
the fuck. how did my game against Dallas actually get played without me playing it :lol

I'll be in the league lobby at 7:00pm pst tonight to play my game vs. Memphis. If someone can help verify my opponent will be able to play, that would be great as the team owner is on my ignore list from a conflict he started in the Madden Season 12 thread. Thanks!

DCX

DCX
CB3 said:
the fuck. how did my game against Dallas actually get played without me playing it :lol
Looks like someone got mod happy and put all that in. :lol :lol Smokey, leave me a mod, i will do the league proud.

DCX

Smokey

CB3 said:

I simmed it because BBG said he can't be in the league anymore...and he's the owner fo the Mavs soo...

Shawnwhann said:
I'll be in the league lobby at 7:00pm pst tonight to play my game vs. Memphis. If someone can help verify my opponent will be able to play, that would be great as the team owner is on my ignore list from a conflict he started in the Madden Season 12 thread. Thanks!

I just sent him messages through GAF and XBL so hopefully you two can play.

Either way I'll be advancing the league later on tonight.

Smokey Bones said:
I simmed it because BBG said he can't be in the league anymore...and he's the owner fo the Mavs soo...

I just sent him messages through GAF and XBL so hopefully you two can play.

Either way I'll be advancing the league later on tonight.

Thanks Smokey, I appeciate the gesture and apologize for the scenario. If the game is not played tonight, it will not be because of me as I'll be in that lobby chillin out...

Yo Smokey,

Been in the lobby for about 20 mins waiting for the Memphis owner, I'll be in for another 15 before I move onto MGS4...

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I got in at 9:40 cst and he still isn't there. I heard he was going to be there all night... He didn't make it 40 minutes if he showed at all.

I could care less to play this scrub anyway, flip a coin.

Smokey

Looks like you two were able to meet each other so just post here when you're done so I can advance the week.

aka I don't have a replacement as of now. Don't really want to post on the gaming side either asking for anybody..so for now it's an automatic win. Sucks, but watryagonnado?

vumpler

Shawn=most sim player in history of sports

1. Makes sure to shoot within 6 seconds of passing in the ball no matter if you're up by 60 - CHECK
2. Clog passing lanes with big men when the opponent tries to setup a play and play sim - CHECK
3. Make sure to sprint to the paint and pass out to an immediate 3 within 6 seconds of a pass in at least 25% of the time - CHECK
4. Run coast to coast as fast as possible with tony parker when up by 50 - CHECK
5. Gaf lets it stand and never calls him out for cheese - CHECK
6. Shawn has an excuse that he deems "legit" like always - CHECK
7. Abuse pick and roll often - CHECK
8. Click over to tim duncan to get your own offensive rebounds when otherwise you wouldn't get it - CHECK
9. GAF Sim leagues - Priceless

I figure Vumpler would proabbly try and manufacture some bullshit about why he got murdered, so I took pictures of the shot charts and game stats to showcase why he got killed. More at the jump once I get the images on photobucket...

Smokey

vumpler said:
Shawn=most sim player in history of sports

1. Makes sure to shoot within 6 seconds of passing in the ball no matter if you're up by 60 - CHECK
2. Clog passing lanes with big men when the opponent tries to setup a play and play sim - CHECK
3. Make sure to sprint to the paint and pass out to an immediate 3 within 6 seconds of a pass in at least 25% of the time - CHECK
4. Run coast to coast as fast as possible with tony parker when up by 50 - CHECK
5. Gaf lets it stand and never calls him out for cheese - CHECK6. Shawn has an excuse that he deems "legit" like always - CHECK
7. GAF Sim leagues - Priceless

You must've not been lurking in last season's thread..shawn and I had our little bout but it's been put aside and everything is cool now so there must be some bad blood between you too which is obvious by the score, but please don't bring it into this league(if it's not already too late).

Shawnwhann said:
I figure Vumpler would proabbly try and manufacture some bullshit about why he got murdered, so I took pictures of the shot charts and game stats to showcase why he got killed. More at the jump once I get the images on photobucket...

ANDDDDDDD WE'REEEEEEE OFF!

Drama has arrived ladies and gentlemen!

vumpler

Smokey Bones said:
ANDDDDDDD WE'REEEEEEE OFF!

Drama has arrived ladies and gentlemen!
Uh what's there to show? Kid cheeses for four quarter, in the first two I get down by 35 and start throwing up prayers from 3, he does numbers 1-7.

Game over. Kid must hate his life :lol

Smokey Bones said:
You must've not been lurking in last season's thread..shawn and I had our little bout but it's been put aside and everything is cool now so there must be some bad blood between you too which is obvious by the score, but please don't bring it into this league(if it's not already too late).

Smokey you are right on point with your intuition about the scenario. In case you didn't know, Vumpler is one of GAFs most notorious league joke characters. He pulls out every trick/exploit in the book to win and then manufactures some drama to deflect attention away from himself.

Again when I post the shot charts and the game stats, I'll paint a really clear picture on how Vumpler managed to earn the dubious distinction of the first guy to ever shoot 50 three pointers, play full court defense all game, throw half court passes, and STILL lose by 67 points. Just wait until you see the images from the game stats....

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
71 fg%???? Whoa. I wish my controller worked that well. :lol

Am I the only one in this league that uses the shot stick for everything? I'm beginning to think that I should go back to the button. Thinking the shot stick has too much room for error. There are a lot of times where I don't pull it down quick enough so when I let go it's just a fake. Faking when you are actually trying to shoot SUCKS.

Alright, let me introduce you to a case study of "How to Own a Cheeser"

1.jpg

Notice the amount of field goals for both teams. Memphis has 4 more shot attempts, but San Antonio manages to make 31 more shots. How does that happen? A couple of things...One, Memphis shooting (and bricking) three pointers while playing full court defense is a bad idea when Tony Parker is running the show. Two, stellar defense as evidenced by the steals and blocked shots for SA. Three, a bunch of stupid and foolish shots resulting in a +22 rebounding advantage for SA. Though San Antonio had 64 points in the paint, 32 were off of fast break and second chance points yielding a very acceptable 32 official points in the paint relative to the total 142 points. Moving on to the shot charts...

4.jpg

Notice the over abundance of 3 point shots taken by Memphis (50 to be exact). The large number of misses lead to several fast break opportunities San Antonio was able to capitalize on.

2.jpg

Here is San Antonio's shot chart. Though a lot of opportunities were had in transition offense, San Antonio was greatly effective executing pick and pop basketball and stellar post play from the front court players.

3.jpg

Lastly, San Antonio's box score. A little blurry, but you can view the whole thing on the 2K site. Notice the nice distribution of offense highlighted by a 40 pt and 19 assist effort from Parker. Everybody was involved up and down the roster indicating this wasn't a one trick pony offense being executed...

So there you have it. You have one guy making a bunch of claims and you have another guy that had the foresight to take in evidence to tell the true story of how the game went down. I didn't even go into the slew of illegal moves made by Vumpler including half court passing, full court d all game, shaking free throw cams, and doubling at half court and outside the paint. I had no expectation of domination like this, but Vumpler doing a variety of boneheaded moves and approaches allowed me to take this victory relatively easy....

I rest my case, you can advance the league now Smokey....

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Case closed? Seems like it.

With all the bad blood between you guys I think the positive thing is that you got your game over and done with.

Smokey

Truelize said:

With all the bad blood between you guys I think the positive thing is that you got your game over and done with.

Agreed.

Lets just let that one go and move onto the next series of games.

Please try and get your game played by Tuesday night (6/17)

Truelize said:

Agreed, I have Vumpler on ignore so the only way I'll see his retort is if someone quotes him...

BTW, I use Shot Stick exclusively and I could never go back to button shooting. I couldn't do Parker's signature floater shot on command without the Shot Stick!

Holy shit @ San Antonio game.

Alright AirBrian. I'm sending you a friend request and posting here on gaf. I'm usually available in the evenings. 7pm eastern through whenever at night is when I'm usually available. I'm sure we can set something up.

DCX

DCX
....wow...just wow. Seriously, i have grudges against alot of players in GAF leagues but never would i ever try to beat someone by 60+ What did that game do for the league? Seriously, i mean that one game has broken the integrity of what makes a GAF league different from playing randoms and non sim leagues. Bullshit i say. Shawn did the same to me in Madden when i had his Cowgirls and got away with it, does it here and got away with it. Congrats man, you are now a Vet* Bulletproof. Oh well, maybe my comment will earn me a 70 point explosion, maybe week 16 will earn me an 80! How i love how this has turned out.

DCX

DCX said:
....wow...just wow. Seriously, i have grudges against alot of players in GAF leagues but never would i ever try to beat someone by 60+ What did that game do for the league? Seriously, i mean that one game has broken the integrity of what makes a GAF league different from playing randoms and non sim leagues. Bullshit i say. Shawn did the same to me in Madden when i had his Cowgirls and got away with it, does it here and got away with it. Congrats man, you are now a Vet* Bulletproof. Oh well, maybe my comment will earn me a 70 point explosion, maybe week 16 will earn me an 80! How i love how this has turned out.

DCX

Here we go again.... trust me when I say I have never won a game in such a lopsided manner. My synopsis of the game and the numbers tell the story pretty convincingly in my opinion. The one other missing ingredient was the fact that the Memphis owner is pretty green in this game while I've played hundreds of games like alot of the other vets here. It's kinda hard to dial it back when your opponent is doing every trick in the book as I've described in my post, so hopefully that gives you some extra context there. You can't chill out and kill clock when when you're being humped on all the way up the court with full court pressure....

BTW, I couldn't blow you out by 60+ much less 30+ or 40+ even if I tried....

AirBrian

Dark FaZe said:
Holy shit @ San Antonio game.

Alright AirBrian. I'm sending you a friend request and posting here on gaf. I'm usually available in the evenings. 7pm eastern through whenever at night is when I'm usually available. I'm sure we can set something up.
Got it! I'll be around today, but I'm not sure when I can play. My AC went out, and since I'm in Texas and it's 95F outside, yeah, that's priority #1 today.

Do you have AIM?

Yes. OoTiMeRzoO

I'm rarely on it, but I guess I'll make it a point to be on it tonight when I'm not already on xbl

I'll probably be on late tonight though. 8pm eastern through the whole night more than likely.

DCX

DCX
Shawnwhann said:
Here we go again.... trust me when I say I have never won a game in such a lopsided manner. My synopsis of the game and the numbers tell the story pretty convincingly in my opinion. The one other missing ingredient was the fact that the Memphis owner is pretty green in this game while I've played hundreds of games like alot of the other vets here. It's kinda hard to dial it back when your opponent is doing every trick in the book as I've described in my post, so hopefully that gives you some extra context there. You can't chill out and kill clock when when you're being humped on all the way up the court with full court pressure....

BTW, I couldn't blow you out by 60+ much less 30+ or 40+ even if I tried....
I think if you tried you would lose cause it would'nt be you playing your game. Still, ask Matrix, i was killing he with my Knicks up something like 30 and all i did in the 4rth was drain the clock and shoot long jumpers with my second unit. Not trying to say anything how you played, but i still ended up with a 20 point victory.

DCX

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Shawnwhann said:
BTW, I use Shot Stick exclusively and I could never go back to button shooting. I couldn't do Parker's signature floater shot on command without the Shot Stick!

Dang. I really wish I could pinpoint my weaknesses. But I do know up until last game (or sometime during the game) I would slowly hold the stick down. Like I was playing Skate and it then it dawned on me that I might be screwing up doing that. And when I started flicking it down quickly I started to heat up.

I would have had a better game against my last opponent, but I played against someone that controlled just their pg more than 80% of the game and then set all the rest of their defenders to tight defense. It was a horrible experience and something I have never seen in GAF leagues.

Truelize said:
71 fg%???? Whoa. I wish my controller worked that well. :lol

Am I the only one in this league that uses the shot stick for everything? I'm beginning to think that I should go back to the button. Thinking the shot stick has too much room for error. There are a lot of times where I don't pull it down quick enough so when I let go it's just a fake. Faking when you are actually trying to shoot SUCKS.

Shot stick for close range buckets or fast break dunks/layups for creativity.

For pure jumpshots X button. I find I can fade away or whatever pretty easily with X in combination with the left analog if necessary.

AirBrian

Dark FaZe said:
Yes. OoTiMeRzoO

I'm rarely on it, but I guess I'll make it a point to be on it tonight when I'm not already on xbl

I'll probably be on late tonight though. 8pm eastern through the whole night more than likely.

I probably won't be on tonight, but I'll be around during the day tomorrow until like 4 PM (CDT). During the week I get home from work usually between 5:30 to 7 PM. Hopefully the AC guy gets here and we can play today! If not, Monday evening is good for me if you're available.

DCX said:
I think if you tried you would lose cause it would'nt be you playing your game. Still, ask Matrix, i was killing he with my Knicks up something like 30 and all i did in the 4rth was drain the clock and shoot long jumpers with my second unit. Not trying to say anything how you played, but i still ended up with a 20 point victory.

DCX

Perhaps I could have turned the other cheek when faced with the incessant half court passing and full court defense....but it is tough in the moment when you see someone playing with such a disregard for normalcy.

You're right in a sense; I wanted to win this game handily, but this result exceeded my wildest expectation of what was possible in an 8 minute HOF NBA 2K game...

Truelize said:
Dang. I really wish I could pinpoint my weaknesses. But I do know up until last game (or sometime during the game) I would slowly hold the stick down. Like I was playing Skate and it then it dawned on me that I might be screwing up doing that. And when I started flicking it down quickly I started to heat up.

I would have had a better game against my last opponent, but I played against someone that controlled just their pg more than 80% of the game and then set all the rest of their defenders to tight defense. It was a horrible experience and something I have never seen in GAF leagues.

I dunno what it is. I just feel for the apex on players shots and it tends to work out for me. I used to do Dark Faze's approach, but I'm completely converted over the shot stick now. It really helped with my free throw shooting too!

AirBrian said:
I probably won't be on tonight, but I'll be around during the day tomorrow until like 4 PM (CDT). During the week I get home from work usually between 5:30 to 7 PM. Hopefully the AC guy gets here and we can play today! If not, Monday evening is good for me if you're available.

No problem. We'll get something going.

Top Bottom