• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K8 Season 5 Interest Thread (360)

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Dark FaZe said:
Aight vumpler, I see you on all the time so I'm sure we'll get something set up tomorrow.
You got it :) I'll be home and ready any time between 2pm CST and the game tonight.

AkaBalla

DCX!!! I'm back.. I'll be in and out from my computer... So hit me up on aim.. I'll be avail from now until about 3 pm est..

Aka

vumpler

Dark FaZe said:
Aight vumpler, I see you on all the time so I'm sure we'll get something set up tomorrow.
i got home a little early. I'm here all day and ready.

Smokey

BigBlackGamer said:
I never see you online. Im on XBL ALL the time and I dont think I've ever seen you online.

ahh well already got the loss. bout to play shawn.

You still need to check this thread though as this is where the primary discussion happens as far as meeting up etc.

BigBlackGamer said:
I never see you online. Im on XBL ALL the time and I dont think I've ever seen you online.

ahh well already got the loss. bout to play shawn.

Sorry about the loss :(. I sent you two messages via xbox live while you were online that should be in your messages list about a match and posted twice in this thread about it. I've seen you online a few times but I'm not going seek a private chat or keep bothering guys multiple times when they are doing other things.

great game shawn. all my games seem to go into OT. :lol

Dark FaZe said:
Sorry about the loss :(. I sent you two messages via xbox live while you were online that should be in your messages list about a match and posted twice in this thread about it. I've seen you online a few times but I'm not going seek a private chat or keep bothering guys multiple times when they are doing other things.

its all good. next time I know to conact the person back instead of waiting for them or check this thread more often.

BigBlackGamer said:
great game shawn. all my games seem to go into OT. :lol

its all good. next time I know to conact the person back instead of waiting for them or check this thread more often.

Yeah great game dude. I dodged a bullet when you missed that game winning three pointer!

Great game vumpler. Again, sorry about messaging about the full court. Was my stupidity and I'm not sure why I was complaining about it anyway.

There was one point where you were able to get it within 5 or so after making like 4 or 5 threes and a row and I was really blown back. For some reason Cardinal always hits shots on me :(. For now on when someone brings in a random scrub from the bench thats known for 3pt shooting, I'll try to deny him :lol.

Durant was fucking horrible today. Had some good looks that simply didn't go down. Everyone else was firing away pretty well though. I still don't know if I should start Ridnour or Watson :\.

vumpler

Is there a rule about when it's "ok" to full court press? Example: I was down 10 with 3 minutes to go, called full court press. Faze paused to ask why I was doing it, and I told him basically you've been whipping my ass all game and there is only 3 minutes to go.

I called full court again earlier in the game, maybe late the 2nd quarter. I was down by 18-22 and was just trying to break up the madness of me getting raped. I called it off of course when it got back to 12-14.

-----------------

On defense how do you guys control the paint? I can't stop shit, and I'm using 2 centers! They both suck major chong but that should be beside the point. I set the Power Forward to Sag Off so that hopefully he'll stay next to the paint to help out if a foreseen drive is coming but it doesn't help much.

I find myself on defense clicking over to players all the time to move them closer to their man. Sometimes I can't figure out what the hell my guys are thinking. One play against Faze my point guard just decided to go chill in the paint when there was no sign of him driving, leaving his PG wide open for a 2 pass 3 pointer.

Incredibly frustrating, I have my D pressure set to 75% and my pointguard set to "play tight" and he still does dumb things. I'm not picking on just my pointguard it seems to be all of them at random times.

vumpler

Dark FaZe said:
There was one point where you were able to get it within 5 or so after making like 4 or 5 threes and a row and I was really blown back.
:lol That was the closest I had been all game. Yeah it was 4 3's back to back. I've never had that happen. I can't buy a 3 generally but for some reason (I guess because I was at home) it wanted me to stay in it, sort of.

I couldn't keep up ever. I found myself just running it down the court full speed half the game, and that is NOT my style. I can't play like that. I have to set it up, and take a shot. It was definitely a situation of me getting stuck to your game style and not being able to make a presence. You kept your lead as well as anyone I've seen.

gg

DCX

DCX
AkaBalla said:
DCX!!! I'm back.. I'll be in and out from my computer... So hit me up on aim.. I'll be avail from now until about 3 pm est..

Aka
Ugh, i was out food shopping and going to go to softball practice from 6 til i assume 8. I can play around then. Or if i had to after the game.

DCX

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Well I got my first win in many many games today.

I was down by 13 at half and down as much as 19 in the 3rd quarter and then I started to heat up AND play some smothering defense.
The only problem is at the end of the game I had 82 points in the paint. I had no clue and I'm sure Wsv771 didn't either. So subtract my fast break points and points in the paint and I still had 62 total points in the paint.
Dang it. Right?

Well I've offered to take the loss but I do it with a bit of frustration. In no way was I deliberately trying to go to the paint (it can be shown that I have never ever even come close to breaking the P.i.t.P limit before). I didn't over use the pick and rolls cause I'm not really good at them. But I had many shots where I would swing the ball, do a quick pump fake and the defender would jump and put himself outta position (a lot of the time it was still a computer defender due to how quick I was moving the ball). Well I would have a wide open lane to the hoop via baseline etc. I would take my one dribble and push the stick and sometimes I would get a pull-up and others I would get a layup via an animation that started at almost the 3 pt line.
And I'm curious how the game decides if it's a fast break pt too. I would reckon that I had more fast break points from my definition than the game tracked but that's opinion.
And I'm curious about this decision because it was my defense that won me this game.

Anyways unless Smokey steps in and overrules a rule I'm still 0-3. I'm not really bitter, just needed to get that out.

I finally get an awesome post player and now I use him too much. Haha. Oh well.

And I know that there is no defending this outcome. A rule is a rule. Just hurts a bit :D

So did an Admin give you the loss or did the game somehow track your PiP and give you the loss automatically?

Damn, 80 or so points in the paint :O. I'm sure you didn't mean to do it on purpose though. You played a really balanced game against me this year. Though I do remember Garnett posting the fuck out of me a few times, but you were perfectly within your rights to do so.

I'm always checking PiP though. I stopped and checked it at least 5 times in todays game. I simply felt I was scoring way to heavily in the paint, even though I believe I finished with only about 35 points inside today.

vumpler

Truelize said:
I scored 80 in the paint
The whole in the paint issue is such a strict rule. Like Faze said he felt he had to keep checking to make sure he didn't pass the cursed number of 50(- 2nd chance.) Hell 2nd chance points aren't even calculated half the time. I keep track of it in my head to the T to keep an idea of where I am, and its WRONG so often. I guess they mean 2nd chance meaning an immediate tip in as opposed to "i grabbed the rebound and now I'm going to put it back up." I had counted 7 2nd chance scores and it registered me for 4. I'm sure this is happening to everyone.

I know the rule is there to keep things from getting out of hand, but with some of the lesser teams in the game its difficult. For me to get anything going it has to start in the paint. I have to get Rudy or Mike Miller the ball down low to get him at least 3 red bars. Then they can progress to deeper mid range shots, to 3's. I missed 5 wide open mid rangers with rudy and 4 WIDE open with Mike Miller. Thats 9 free NBA shots. Ok they might miss 2, so 7 free shots that were bricked. Anyone in the nba can hit these shots but the ball just won't go some times.

Oh and heaven forbid Mike or Rudy get cold. This game is beyond strict on cold. When they say cold, they mean NBA players turn into really tall 7th graders. I don't care how cold someone is, if you feed them the ball 5 times from the top of the key ONE is going to drop in real life. Or out of 3 layups ONE should drop.

Its probably just playing with a crappy team (which is fine, the grizz are my team and I'm dealing with it) but Rudy nor Mike Miller should miss that many open shots in a row just because they're "cold"

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm an Admin so I just gave Wsv771 the win.

And I have never ever came anywhere close to going past the 50 points in the paint rule in the past so I had no clue I was even in danger of passing the limit.

The rule is there to stop people from driving and dunking constantly or abusing the pick and roll. And to make us actually shoot jumpers. And the rule has worked for us.

If I had been "trying" to get to the rim and past the limit I would feel guilty. But I never concentrate on getting to the hoop unless I really really need a hoop. The fact that I went 12 over the limit baffles me.
Like Vump said I'm sure I didn't actually go over the limit at all because what the game considers points in the paint or fast break points is probably quite inaccurate. But we made the rule for a reason so it is what it is.

To me it all depends on how the points are scored. I think the rule should stand, but if circumstances happen where the player DOES go over the limit then the opposing player should have a right to make the decision on whether or not that was a legitimate victory.

I'm not sure how the people are here just yet having only gone against a few guys, but most of us seem like pretty stand up guys. I don't know.

Me speaking only for myself, if someone scored 60 in the paint on me it would depend on how its done. If its the opposing player almost always just forgetting about setting up an offense or anything even close to sim and setting pick and rolls 2 feet from the basket every 3 seconds so he gets a ton of shots at the cheese dunk then yeah, I've got an issue with it. If its Kobe doing unblockable free throw line dunks EVERY possession running through double teams(in the paint) and etc every trip down I have a problem. If its just a player running to the 3 point line, then sprinting for an attempted dunk, doesn't get the free lane, backs up and tries against 50 times to find a glitch in my A.I or w/e and keeps scoring inside, then thats an issue. If a player attempted maybe 2 jumpshots in a quarter then yea I've got a problem.

But if its something like the temp of their offense creating holes in my defense and getting easy dunks through transition in the passing lanes then thats my fault. If its me playing bad man on man defense its my fault. If there are numerous holes inside my defense from human error and no glitches its my fault.

People are going to have different ideas of whats cheese scoring and whats not. But ultimately I believe the person who was scored on so much inside should have a decision.

Also what happened between La and Chicago? Its showing me a 59 to 50 score on 2k site.

DCX

DCX
Aka, we have to do this tomorrow. I'm going to bed and finish watching the game. C you tomorrow.

DCX

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Also what happened between La and Chicago? Its showing me a 59 to 50 score on 2k site.

dont worry rookie, you'll encounter my iron first defense soon enough

Smokey

Alright I just got back in town.

Looking over this page I see there is plenty discussion over PIP. It is there as True said, to stop people from just running into the lane and dunking constantly or shooting nothing but layups. For the new guys it'll just take some time to get used to the rule, but it has helped this league be somewhat sim as compared to just playing random people.

I thought I'd explained it before but I guess not. I've no problem with FC press, unless you are up by 10+ or something of that nature. Applying FC pressure is a risk/reward deal. On one hand it can change the temp of the game in your favor, but on the other hand if you're going against a quick PG(like Tony parker) he will blow past your guy and it'll be easy buckets on the other end. As long as it is used correctly(and I'll know because people will PM me if it's not) I don't have a problem with it. However if you use FC you MUST manually guard your opponent. None of that sit at the other end with the C while the CPU does all the work shit.

Also Cerrius, we'll probably have to play tomorrow. I've been flying since 2pm and I am pretty tired.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey Bones said:
Alright I just got back in town.

Looking over this page I see there is plenty discussion over PIP. It is there as True said, to stop people from just running into the lane and dunking constantly or shooting nothing but layups. For the new guys it'll just take some time to get used to the rule, but it has helped this league be somewhat sim as compared to just playing random people.

I thought I'd explained it before but I guess not. I've no problem with FC press, unless you are up by 10+ or something of that nature. Applying FC pressure is a risk/reward deal. On one hand it can change the temp of the game in your favor, but on the other hand if you're going against a quick PG(like Tony parker) he will blow past your guy and it'll be easy buckets on the other end. As long as it is used correctly(and I'll know because people will PM me if it's not) I don't have a problem with it. However if you use FC you MUST manually guard your opponent. None of that sit at the other end with the C while the CPU does all the work shit.

Also Cerrius, we'll probably have to play tomorrow. I've been flying since 2pm and I am pretty tired.

You might say that about full court press but that rule was set long before your time my friend. Rule stands that you cannot FCP in the first 3 quarters unless you are down by 10 pts or more. Period.
If I lose a legit win because we have a points in the paint rule than I do no think it's cool to bend on the FCP rule.
And I gave Wsv771 the choice to take the win or not. He took it. I asked him if he honestly thought that my points in the paint is what lost him the game. He never replied. I know what won me the game. My defense. I was down 19 in the middle of the 3rd and I won by 8. He only scored 19 pts in each quarter of the second half. He shot 68% in the first half and I was playing horrible defense. Once I stopped switching so fast and taking my players outta position he started missing shots.
A rule is a rule. But I say it's not what cost him the game.

But honestly the only reason this game will mean a thing to me is if it's the deciding game for playoff position.

vumpler

Truelize said:
But honestly the only reason this game will mean a thing to me is if it's the deciding game for playoff position.
We'll see my friend

I hope to try to make a run towards the playoffs however there is nothing on my side in that goal being reached :lol

Smokey

Truelize said:
You might say that about full court press but that rule was set long before your time my friend. Rule stands that you cannot FCP in the first 3 quarters unless you are down by 10 pts or more. Period.

Period sounds like that can't be changed...when in fact...it can be. I've kept Aka's 50 PIP rule, but changed the trade stipulations to make the league more interesting. I've said my stance on FCP. If you're winning the game there is no need for you to FCP, but if you've been losing all game and need to try something different to try and get you back in the game there is nothing wrong with FCP. It is possible to FCP without being cheap or cheesy. That's stupid to say:

"I'm down by 8 but oh I can't FCP to try and disrupt my opponents rhythm or throw him off his game to cut that deficit. Only if I was down by 10+ points I could, but not 8 damn!".

That's silly.

AkaBalla

DCX said:
Aka, we have to do this tomorrow. I'm going to bed and finish watching the game. C you tomorrow.

DCX

tonight @ 8pm - 9pm est.. be on aim.. wont be home until 7pm and wont be around the computer until about 8.

DCX

DCX
AkaBalla said:
tonight @ 8pm - 9pm est.. be on aim.. wont be home until 7pm and wont be around the computer until about 8.
I'll be able to play around 8-9pm.

DCX

Smokey

Let's play at 630p central. I turned on the game a few minutes ago only to realize that both of my battery packs are out of juice so I need to let them sit on the charger for a second.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey Bones said:
Let's play at 630p central. I turned on the game a few minutes ago only to realize that both of my battery packs are out of juice so I need to let them sit on the charger for a second.

ok, i'll be in the lobby.

Smokey

GG Cerrius. I'm pretty satisfied with my squad as it is right now. It's nice looking at my team stats and seeing 5 players avg. 10+ in PPG (Lewis, Nelson, Howard, Turkoglu, Reddick).

:D

Also, when you guys finish the game please make sure you exit the game correctly and not just shut your 360 off. Otherwise the stats won't get recorded.

It looks like AKA and DCX are playing now and they are the last game for week 3 and then I will advance the week.

AirBrian I play you next can you play tonight?

AkaBalla

Smokey Bones said:
Also, when you guys finish the game please make sure you exit the game correctly and not just shut your 360 off. Otherwise the stats won't get recorded.

Its actually when people just sit in the post game menu and dont exit. it will not regitster stats to the site after about a 3 minute window. I t will register if u power down the console.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey Bones said:
GG Cerrius. I'm pretty satisfied with my squad as it is right now. It's nice looking at my team stats and seeing 5 players avg. 10+ in PPG (Lewis, Nelson, Howard, Turkoglu, Reddick).

GG Smokey. It's tough keeping up with your offense with all the three point shooting power you have.

Wade and Ricky were the only ones coming through for me.

edit: aka, I sent you a trade offer through XBL.

Top Bottom