• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K8 Season 5 Interest Thread (360)

Smokey

Cerrius said:
Rashard Lewis is pretty ridiculous in this game. I've played people who shoot nothing but near halfcourt shots with him and actually make a nice percentage of them. :lol

Good so you already know what to expect when I give you your first loss this season next game:D

Dark FaZe said:
Whats the cut off date for this series of games? Friday night?

Yes. Tomorrow night 11:59pm central. Here are the games that are left:

Dallas @ Seattle
Chicago @ Boston
Memphis @ Utah

I'm going out of town tonight and will not be back until Sunday, and I know AKA is going out of town as well. So for the next series of games the other co-admins are everybody but the rookies(sorry guys!) So there shouldn't be any issues.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
AirBrian said:
True, I'm still at work :-( so can we play tomorrow?

We should be able to play tonight. I have a PVR so we could even play during the game (I bet we get a nice smooth connection during that time frame). Message me on Live if you can.

AirBrian

Sounds good. I'll have on AIM too. I'm actually home now, but I need to take care of some stuff and eat. Then it's rumble time!

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
WSV I don't know where you are but i added you to my gamertag list. SpoonKiIIah is me.. .Would like to get our game in....

GCQuinton

vumpler said:
WSV I don't know where you are but i added you to my gamertag list. SpoonKiIIah is me.. .Would like to get our game in....

You didn't get my PM an hour ago? No biggie. I'm free to get our game in now if you want.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Brian and I just tried 5 or 6 times. We almost got a full half in if you combined all of our play time.

How can this game's netcode be this bad???

AirBrian

2K's site seems to be down too. :-(

On another note, True and I had the greatest pre-game trivia question ever:

What was Bryant Reeves' nickname?

_1168881_reeves150.jpg

BIG COUNTRY!

vumpler

Truelize said:
Brian and I just tried 5 or 6 times. We almost got a full half in if you combined all of our play time.

How can this game's netcode be this bad???
I have played people in Canada and never had lag issues or disconnects unless someone has a bittorrent client running and there are many connections made.

AirBrian

Me and True have played plenty of times with no lag/drops to know it's not our connection. The 2K site is wanky too right now, so it's definitely the 2K servers.

vumpler

AirBrian said:
Me and True have played plenty of times with no lag/drops to know it's not our connection. The 2K site is wanky too right now, so it's definitely the 2K servers.
I see. I was commenting on the "How can this game's netcode be this bad???" because I've seen zero signs of it being poor net code. No worries :)

How is host determined in this game anyway?

And there is definitely lag online with this game. I almost always have to shoot much earlier than usual on my freethrows to sink them. I'm starting to wonder if I've been missing some jumpshots because I haven't gotten used to the timing with the lag. If there is lag on free throws, there is most certainly lag on jumpshots.

But maybe I'm the only one experiencing this?

vumpler

Smokey Bones said:
So did any games get played at all today or did 2K server screw us over?
WSV and I played. Game was crazy. Went to OT because he trained an amazingly clutch shot. A funny tidbit: It was 4 minutes into the 1st quarter before either of us scored :lol

GCQuinton

vumpler said:
WSV and I played. Game was crazy. Went to OT because he trained an amazingly clutch shot. A funny tidbit: It was 4 minutes into the 1st quarter before either of us scored :lol

GG vump but a few things:

-64 points in the paint? Really? You paused the game to check it in the fourth so I know you were aware of it.
-During timeouts, don't just skip them when you're done. I could barely get subs in because of that.
-Nobody in this league does the FT rattling, so watch that.

AirBrian

Smokey, we're going to play our game on Saturday.

Dark FaZe said:

And there is definitely lag online with this game. I almost always have to shoot much earlier than usual on my freethrows to sink them. I'm starting to wonder if I've been missing some jumpshots because I haven't gotten used to the timing with the lag. If there is lag on free throws, there is most certainly lag on jumpshots.

Yeah, the shot release timing when playing online has always been a little different from the offline timing. I've found that it's a little quicker online, which would support what you're saying.

vumpler

GCQuinton said:
GG vump but a few things:

-64 points in the paint? Really? You paused the game to check it in the fourth so I know you were aware of it.
I know WSV. I keep track of it pretty hard because DCX already talked to me about it. I did everything I could to not score down there. ~24 of those were fast breaks, and there were 8 second chance points. When looking at the scoring and shooting breakdown yours and mine was almost dead on everywhere except I had I think 4 more shots from mid range than you. We had practically the same number of shots from outside, mid range, and down low, just I made a few more down low some how.

In the 4th and OT I pulled up on a few fast breaks and shot from mid range etc, when I don't feel that IRL that would happen when its a 2 or 3 on 1 situation. However to keep the down low points down I pulled up.

I do fully agree that was to many points down low by the stats, but did it really feel to you like all I was doing was camping down low? It sure didn't to me. I was busting my ass at mid range and couldn't buy a bucket. The only reason I edged you out was because I had 11 more steals than you and 5 more blocks.

-During timeouts, don't just skip them when you're done. I could barely get subs in because of that.
I apologize. Bad habit from pub games and I'm working on it.
Awkward. DCX and I discussed this briefly and we didn't really come to a conclusion on the situation. Is it an official rule you can't do that? Free throws are a timing mechanic in the game moreso than watching the player release his shot. It adds pressure to an otherwise free situation. They're not free in the NBA, the crowd is going nuts. I would appreciate it if more people would discuss this issue for me since I'm new to the league.

Smokey

Dark FaZe said:

It probably goes to whomever challenges their opponent. A good way to see how bad the lag will be is to pause the game at the very beginning(before tipoff) and go through the menu. If there's lag you'll certainly be able to tell just from scrolling through the menus so that'll let you know that when the game starts you'll need to release the shot stick/x button a little earlier to compensate for the lag.

gcquinton said:

Yeah nobody does this but in the 2 seasons that I've played I've never read that it wasn't allowed. I guess it's a unwritten rule type of thing. My stance on it is I'm ok with it if you are the HOME team. If I'm playing the Heat, the FT rattling for would be appropriate for Cerrius, because I am in a different teams gym. But I don't think the away team should be able to do it because well, you're away and not home.

AirBrian

Yeah, there's no way the away team should be able to shake the screen.

Personally, I think it's a little cheesy to do it in a sim league for either team.

So are going to move the deadline back 'til tomorrow for AirBrian/True or are we going to let them move the schedule back and still advance tonight?

Smokey

ChrisJames said:
So are going to move the deadline back 'til tomorrow for AirBrian/True or are we going to let them move the schedule back and still advance tonight?

Is that the only game that needs to be played for this week? I can't check because I'm out of time. I'm willing to wait until tomorrow to advance if we're just waiting on them.

AkaBalla

DCX i can squeeze one in within the next hr or so (Week 3).. Hit me up on aim if someone can advance.

If not then i guess we will play either Sunday night after 8pm est (Not during the C's game) or Monday night after 9pm est..

Aka

Matrix, unless you can play in the next hour or so, we'll have to get our week 3 game in either tomorrow after 10:30 EST or around the same time on Monday. I'll be gone Sunday.

Just let me know what works best for you.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Brian and I will do our best to get our game in Saturday. I can move it back for our game so don't worry about that at all. And I will check to make sure no one else is playing before I move the week.

And Vump, the netcode in this game is pretty freakin bad man. When we play each other just listen/watch how slowly I move through the menus at the start of the game. I get more lag than you American folk. It's just a fact. I've learned to live with it most of the time though. But I have not played a single other game on the 360 that has given me as much grief as far as disconnects and laggy connections as the NBA2k series. And I've played a lot of online games .

Smokey

I'll advance the league sometime late Satuday night to give the guys who haven't had a chance to complete their games to do so.

Dark Faze have you tried contacting Black through XBL? That's how I was able to get in touch with him.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ChrisJames said:
Matrix, unless you can play in the next hour or so, we'll have to get our week 3 game in either tomorrow after 10:30 EST or around the same time on Monday. I'll be gone Sunday.

Just let me know what works best for you.

I can do tonight past 10:30 est,I'll post in here or hit you up on aim around then or a little after.

vumpler

Truelize said:
And Vump, the netcode in this game is pretty freakin bad man. When we play each other just listen/watch how slowly I move through the menus at the start of the game. I get more lag than you American folk. It's just a fact. I've learned to live with it most of the time though. But I have not played a single other game on the 360 that has given me as much grief as far as disconnects and laggy connections as the NBA2k series. And I've played a lot of online games .
What part of the world are you playing from?

Smokey Bones said:
I'll advance the league sometime late Satuday night to give the guys who haven't had a chance to complete their games to do so.

Dark Faze have you tried contacting Black through XBL? That's how I was able to get in touch with him.

Yeah I sent him 2 messages on XBL.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
vumpler said:
What part of the world are you playing from?

Canada. I thought that was well known. Regardless, I bet most the people that have played in our leagues over the years will agree that the NBA2k series gives up more network issues than any other online game we play (either as a GAF group or just online period). And the fact that we have such consistent issues simply connecting to games is play stupid. We are playing Peer To Peer here, there should be nothing stopping us from getting a game connected. Oh unless the netcode that works between two users and connects to the 2k website/servers is under performing.

There were times when I couldn't even play certain players. I can recall a time when Wellie was still ballin with us that we could just never connect. Not once. No routers, no carrier pigeons, nothing interfering.

Hopefully it will get better someday.

Oh... I never have issues when I'm just playing through the lobby system with ranked games. My lag only appears in league or tournament games. If that isn't a perfect example of netcode issues I'm not sure what is

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Count me out Chris and better find a replacement Smokey,Ninja Gaiden II demo finally finished off my 360.

Whoooooo more time for blu-ray movie watching,MLB Show and MGS4!

Smokey

Matrix said:
Count me out Chris and better find a replacement Smokey,Ninja Gaiden II demo finally finished off my 360.

Whoooooo more time for blu-ray movie watching,MLB Show and MGS4!

:(

Matrix

I just bought it for the ps3 to get my fix since it's so cheap.

I'll miss you guys :(

vumpler

Matrix said:
Whoooooo more time for blu-ray movie watching

Every time I hear someone say a sarcastic statement like this it makes me think of Yahtzee

"...Blu-Ray movies, which is apparently some new format that's better than DVD. It's supposed to have higher definition but personally I've never found myself saying 'oh, Army of Darkness is still a glorious celebration of boyish-fantasy-violence but if only the resolution was a wee bit bigger it could be significantly improved'" :lol

Towel trick :lol

In all seriousness though, condolences on your system Matrix.

-Went ahead and advanced to week 3. We've been on week 2 for 4 days now, so there's no need to wait any longer.

Here's the schedule for week 3. Deadline Tuesday.

Detroit 0, Houston 0
Denver @ New York
Boston @ Utah
Miami @ Orlando
Chicago @ LA Lakers
San Antonio @ Dallas
Seattle @ Memphis

vumpler said:
Every time I hear someone say a sarcastic statement like this it makes me think of Yahtzee

"...Blu-Ray movies, which is apparently some new format that's better than DVD. It's supposed to have higher definition but personally I've never found myself saying 'oh, Army of Darkness is still a glorious celebration of boyish-fantasy-violence but if only the resolution was a wee bit bigger it could be significantly improved'" :lol

I don't think he was being sarcastic... And for film fans like myself and many others, HD movies are actually pretty sweet. But I do get your point, it's just that some people appreciate/really want to see movies in high def while some others couldn't give a rats ass.

Matrix

ChrisJames said:
I don't think he was being sarcastic... And for film fans like myself and many others, HD movies are actually pretty sweet. But I do get your point, it's just that some people appreciate/really want to see movies in high def while some others couldn't give a rats ass.

You are right,I wasn't being sarcastic :) I love movies more than I do games and no better way to watch than in hi-def.

Top Bottom