• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC: Yemen raid that left SEAL + 25 civilians dead gave no significant intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

170227-william-owens-mn-1650_2f783d717b69cb71f822fe850aa86bd1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
Last month's deadly commando raid in Yemen, which cost the lives of a U.S. Navy SEAL and a number of children, has so far yielded no significant intelligence, U.S. officials told NBC News.

Although Pentagon officials have said the raid produced "actionable intelligence," senior officials who spoke to NBC News said they were unaware of any, even as the father of the dead SEAL questioned the premise of the raid in an interview with the Miami Herald published Sunday.

A senior Congressional official briefed on the matter said the Trump administration has yet to explain what prompted the rare use of American ground troops in Yemen, but he said he was not aware of any new threat from al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the al Qaeda affiliate that was targeted.

The official, and others briefed on the matter who spoke to NBC News, echoed the remarks of Sen. John McCain, R.-Ariz., that the raid was designed to kill or capture one or more militants — something the military did not initially acknowledge.

In addition to the death of Ryan Owens, six other U.S. service members were wounded. And at least 25 civilians were killed, including nine children under the age of 13, according to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism. One of them was the 8-year-old daughter of U.S.-born al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

A Pentagon official told NBC News today the Pentagon does not dispute these numbers.

A $70 million U.S. aircraft also was destroyed. The Pentagon already has at least three investigations into the raid underway.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...ignificant-intelligence-say-officials-n726451

AgentCooper25

Neo Member
Everyone focusing on the SEAL operator's death when most likely he was at the very least indirectly responsible for the deaths of, according to medical reports, seven children, aged 3 to 13, along with a pregnant woman.

Just to remind people

1. Trump made this decision during dinner

2. He couldn't even be bothered to be in situation room during the operation

3. Trump used the name of the fallen solider to deflect criticism from himself

This is fucking disgusting, and even moreso that Orange Fuckwad is going around the airwaves beating his chest like a fucking gorilla talking about "winning wars" like a troglodyte. He's toying with American lives and sending people out to die, civilians are getting killed from shit he does over dinner, and the assholes who kept flapping their gums about Benghazi have absolutely nothing to say on this matter. Even though he directly commanded this operation to begin while Hillary was only Secretary of State (aka wasn't nearly as directly responsible as this asshole is for his disaster).

This is infuriating on every possible level. This jackass is going to kill countless innocents in a fuck-up war solely to fill his massive ego, line his pockets, and spread Bannon's apocalyptic ideology.

Everyone focusing on the SEAL operator's death when most likely he was at the very least indirectly responsible for the deaths of, according to medical reports, seven children, aged 3 to 13, along with a pregnant woman.

The sad reality is that people in the US care more about one American than 500+ middle-eastern civilians. But you're right: the civilians killed must not be forgotten. Their blood is in his hands.

How do the best of the best military end up killing a bunch of kids? The footage is out there undoubtedly but I'm trying to visualise it.

Like don't they aim at shit and make a judgement? I mean that must of been some serious spray and pray going on, right?

Or I suppose it could of been from airstrike of some kind and . maybe it wasn't soldiers blind firing.

Monocle

America, fuck yeah! Comin' again to save the motherfuckin' day, yeah!

I'm President, let's do some shit, what wouldn't Obama do? Green light that, I'm President Badass.

Just to remind people

Yeah, this one seems pretty cut and dry. Trump's hubris got a bunch of children killed.

Trump is so desperate to be the strongman. Hes willing to risk human lives, American or otherwise, to appear as such. How terrifying.

NYR

This missions was Trump swinging his "big" dick only to realize it isn't as easy as that.

Just to remind people

As SEALs Fought For Their Lives, Trump’s Account Sent And Deleted A TV Tweet

As a team of elite U.S. commandos found themselves under unexpectedly heavy fire in a remote Yemeni village last month, eight time zones away, their commander in chief was not in the Situation Room.

It’s unclear what he, personally, was doing. But his Twitter account was busy promoting an upcoming appearance on the Christian Broadcasting Network.

“I will be interviewed by @TheBrodyFile on @CBNNews tonight at 11pm. Enjoy!” read a tweet from President Donald Trump’s personal account on Saturday, Jan. 28.

This is fucking disgusting, and even moreso that Orange Fuckwad is going around the airwaves beating his chest like a fucking gorilla talking about "winning wars" like a troglodyte. He's toying with American lives and sending people out to die, civilians are getting killed from shit he does over dinner, and the assholes who kept flapping their gums about Benghazi have absolutely nothing to say on this matter. Even though he directly commanded this operation to begin while Hillary was only Secretary of State (aka wasn't nearly as directly responsible as this asshole is for his disaster).

This is infuriating on every possible level. This jackass is going to kill countless innocents in a fuck-up war solely to fill his massive ego, line his pockets, and spread Bannon's apocalyptic ideology.

The sad reality is that people in the US care more about one American than 500+ middle-eastern civilians. But you're right: the civilians killed must not be forgotten. Their blood is in his hands.
Now imagine how this disaster is going to be a recruitment video, thereby radicalizing many more in the region. All they have to do is show the video of 8 dead Yemeni children riddled with bullets to people open to radical ideas.

I suspect that by the end of the first four years Trump will be directly responsible for the death of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of innocents, both abroad and in the US.

Loxley

And I'm sure the American people can trust Congress to conduct numerous bipartisan investigations of the raid in order to discover what exactly went wrong and who was responsible, in order to find solace for those who lost thei-hahahahaHAHAHAAHAHAHA.

dejay

Banned
Trump wanted to be seen as the president of action, so he green lighted an op that apparently had already been compromised. Still, he doesn't work in a total vacuum so all the blame can't be put on him.

If they did indeed lie about the success of the mission then that's par for the course. I don't believe a word coming out of Spicer's mouth. The guy has deeply compromised himself and the country to keep his job.

giga

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231151588 said:
spicer was just saying today how the operation yielded good intel.

Scumbag.

On Monday, Spicer addressed the remarks of Bill Owens, whose son died.

"I can tell him that on behalf of the president, his son died a hero and the information that he was able to help obtain through that raid, as I said before, is going to save American lives," he said. "The mission was successful in helping prevent a future attack or attacks on this nation."

Multiple senior officials told NBC News they have not seen evidence to support that claim.
I'll take the multiple officials over SS.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just to remind people

Yup. Congratu-fucking-lations on your new president, America.

Boke1879

Yea this whole thing was a shit shot. Unfortunately it won't be the last time.

I want that dad on everything possible though. That story needs to be told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom