• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC House Speaker: Charlotte needs to get rid of LGBT protections before we act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Chances appear to be dwindling that North Carolina lawmakers will alter a contentious, new state law limiting LGBT nondiscrimination protections, because a legislative leader says they won’t act until Charlotte first throws out its local ordinance increasing those protections.

House Speaker Tim Moore said this week he and other Republican legislators are willing to rewrite some parts of what’s known as House Bill 2. Among other things, it directs transgender people to use the restroom and locker rooms aligned with their biological sex.

But he said colleagues initially want to see Charlotte city leaders act — and in particular, to take the municipal regulation off the books. While House Bill 2 blocked enforcement of the city ordinance, supporters of the state law say Charlotte started the problem by passing the ordinance to begin with.

“I do think very frankly if Charlotte gets rid of the ordinance … it gives us the opportunity to look at some of those tweaks we’ve talked about making,” Moore told reporters. “For any conversations to happen, Charlotte needs to take a look at what it did and it needs to be the first to make any movement before there’s any conversation.”

But city officials showed Monday night they aren’t willing to do that.

The council voted 7-4 against a motion to hold a vote Wednesday on a resolution to remove the nullified ordinance from the books. It was the same margin as Feb. 22, when the council approved the ordinance, which expanded protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in public accommodations.

“We cannot compromise on basic human rights. Any repeal of LGBT protections is bad for business, bad for Charlotte’s future,” Mayor Jennifer Roberts tweeted before Monday’s council meeting

Fuck these flaming cunts.

HUELEN10

Fuck these flaming cunts.
No... you pretty much nailed it. fuck them.

Like, I understand all the "family values" "the children" and other BS or BS-like reasons, it's bullshit and to be expected by now, but getting rid off existing protections? Fuck those cunts.

LeBron-James-Smallest-Violin-Gif.gif

Wait till November you fuckers, hope you like sitting at home.

Brofield

Good on the mayor for being the only one with her head screwed on right.

God I hope the voters of NC know what to do with that colossal asshat of a governor

Kinsei

Banned
But both parties are the same!

Hopefully people in NC can come together and vote the pricks responsible for shit like HB2 out of office.

As a Charlotte resident this pleases me greatly. A lot of businesses around me have put up signage saying they'll ignore the law, and our CEO, for better or worse, is holding fast to his threat to move a thousand jobs right over the border to Fort Mill.

It's such a strange hill for Republicans to want to die on

cameron

But he said colleagues initially want to see Charlotte city leaders act — and in particular, to take the municipal regulation off the books. While House Bill 2 blocked enforcement of the city ordinance, supporters of the state law say Charlotte started the problem by passing the ordinance to begin with.

“I do think very frankly if Charlotte gets rid of the ordinance … it gives us the opportunity to look at some of those tweaks we’ve talked about making,” Moore told reporters. “For any conversations to happen, Charlotte needs to take a look at what it did and it needs to be the first to make any movement before there’s any conversation.”
This is batshit insane.

No... you pretty much nailed it. fuck them.

Like, I understand all the "family values" "the children" and other BS or BS-like reasons, it's bullshit and to be expected by now, but getting rid off existing protections? Fuck those cunts.

lol..I've been depressed on a unrelated subject. Thanks for the laugh. I'm sure you understand..

How dare Charlotte extend protection against discrimination to people based on their sexual orientation and gender identity. How dare them.

Speaking of, it's never not infuriating to hear most in the media only talk about the bathroom provision. HB2 isn't just a bathroom bill. It rescinded all protections against discrimination for the LGBT community, it made it illegal according to state law for local governments to enact such protections, and it further eliminated the ability to sue in state court over discrimination of any kind. And yet all anyone wants to talk about is the bathroom provision. Hello, media, do everyone a favor and don't let the language of the close-minded individuals pushing this nonsense also become your language, as that too narrowly frames the issue.

Cat Party

This is quite something. NC is facing down the DOJ, which has unlimited resources, fairly significant public support, and is all but certain to prove that HB 2 is unconstitutional. Yet NC seems to think, as the entity with no leverage here, that it can demand concessions from Charlotte. Bold move, Cotton.

How dare Charlotte extend protection against discrimination to people based on their sexual orientation and gender identity. How dare them.

Speaking of, it's never not infuriating to hear most in the media only talk about the bathroom provision. HB2 isn't just a bathroom bill. It rescinded all protections against discrimination for the LGBT community, it made it illegal according to state law for local governments to enact such protections, and it further eliminated the ability to sue in state court over discrimination of any kind. And yet all anyone wants to talk about is the bathroom provision. Hello, media, do everyone a favor and don't let the language of the close-minded individuals pushing this nonsense also become your language, as that too narrowly frames the issue.
Most of media gonna give a shit about what uninformed people are shouting about. They're not to inform but to see reactions. Why do you think Trump gets so much coverage? There's more than 400 Trump threads here on all the stuff he's done cause people can't control reacting to dumb stuff. It's a perpetuating cycle.

I would really like to know if there really is a chance of NC voting democratic over this. I want to have hope but given the amount of support Trump gets, it's clear to me I can't trust people to be logical and rational.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This is quite something. NC is facing down the DOJ, which has unlimited resources, fairly significant public support, and is all but certain to prove that HB 2 is unconstitutional. Yet NC seems to think, as the entity with no leverage here, that it can demand concessions from Charlotte. Bold move, Cotton.

This case is going to set an example for liberal cities and conservative states throughout the country.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Fuck the Republican Party and every single one of their bullshit values that say 'Fuck you' to anyone who isn't a straight white cisgender Christian male.

I would really like to know if there really is a chance of NC voting democratic over this. I want to have hope but given the amount of support Trump gets, it's clear to me I can't trust people to be logical and rational.

I'm a Charlotte resident, and I think the state has a good chance of voting Democratic in the statewide races. However, nothing will drastically change with the General Assembly and U.S. House Delegates. Too gerrymandered, and then there's the fact that there aren't enough Democrats running to re-take the state legislature. Though, breaking the Republican's veto-proof majority is very realistic.

impirius

The NCGA and McCrory picked this hill to die on. No idea why they think Charlotte would help them off it.

Very recent NC poll: HB2 Continues To Have Little Support From North Carolinians

Code:
[B]Do you support or oppose House Bill 2?[/B]
Support ........................ 35%
Oppose ......................... 44%
Not sure ....................... 21%

[B]Overall, do you think HB2 is helping or hurting North Carolina?[/B]
HB2 is helping North Carolina... 29%
HB2 is hurting North Carolina .. 56%
Not sure ....................... 15%

[B]Do you think House Bill 2 has had a positive or negative impact on the 
North Carolina economy, or has it not made a difference?[/B]
Positive impact on economy ..... 12%
Negative impact on economy...... 50%
Has not made a difference....... 30%
Notsure.......................... 9%

[B]Do you think House Bill 2 has had a positive or negative impact on 
North Carolina’s reputation nationally, or has it not made a difference?[/B]
Positive impact on reputation .. 24%
Negative impact on reputation .. 53%
Has not made a difference....... 18%
Notsure.........................  6%

Haha

You can really tell that they're trying whatever they can to deescalate the lawsuit situation without having at least some inroads in their discriminatory actions

I'm rightly enjoying watching them desperately fighting

DedValve

Banned
I vote for NC officials to have twirling mustaches, monocles and a top hat for extra effect.

Also tie up some gay people to the train tracks and laugh maniacally while filming yourself with a black & white filter.

I mean you might as well go the full mile and not half ass this shit.

Dali

So a lot of Republicans believe government is too intrusive and blanket Federal ordinances don't represent what's best for certain states. So taking that a step further would be the state being the overbearing nanny trying to force their backwards ass laws on one of the few urban centers in the state (you know places that may have the highest concentration of people that would benefit from the ordinance as well as the highest concentration of people against the state law).

Just seems kinda hypocritical. I'm really surprised and disappointed to see such behavior from the party.

hiryu64

eNYWhsm.gif

This can't possibly be real. There's no way someone could say something like this completely unironically. Yet here we are. God, it's like Lumbergh from Office Space. "Yeaaaah, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and, uhh, stop protecting minorities. Yeah, so, um, if you could just go ahead and, you know... repeal that law, that would be great."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom