• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

I will say, if it's 34-0, I'll be a nervous wreck during every single tournament game, more so than usual.

The 34 previous wins won't matter if we come up short in the tournament. It would be a very sickening feeling, although I guess I would know how Wichita felt last year.

Game stunk. Horribly officiated, not that it really mattered (UK +8 still bested the -6 1/2 I bet against). Glad it's over. Now onto the powerhouse SEC schedule.

Pollux

I will say, if it's 34-0, I'll be a nervous wreck during every single tournament game, more so than usual.

The 34 previous wins won't matter if we come up short in the tournament. It would be a very sickening feeling, although I guess I would know how Wichita felt last year.
The only difference is it's witchita.

iamblades

Kentucky now has three players on Kenpom's KPOY leaderboard, LOL.

Player kPOY Rating
1 Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin 2.212
2 Jahlil Okafor, Duke 2.122
3 Justin Anderson, Virginia 1.740
4 Anthony Gill, Virginia 1.648
5 Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky 1.558
6 Dakari Johnson, Kentucky 1.508
7 Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky 1.461
8 Ryan Boatright, Connecticut 1.452
9 Wesley Saunders, Harvard 1.431
10 Terry Rozier, Louisville 1.423

All in a row too.

That game yesterday was awful. The refs tried to job UK but it was balanced out by Louisville not being able to hit ANY open shots.

Big letdown for the amount of hype that game was getting. And it further confirmed what I already knew. UK's not losing unless they beat themselves. They'll come out in some road SEC game on a Tuesday night in February and not give a fuck and the other team will have the best game of their collective careers and squeak out a win against UK. But when they try, they aren't going to lose.

Which brings me back to the game a week ago against UCLA. Everyone was talking OMG UK won by a billion points, but that's expected out of them by now. The bigger story is what a sorry state of affairs that UCLA program is in. Wooden is turning in his grave right now.

Kentucky now has three players on Kenpom's KPOY leaderboard, LOL.

Player kPOY Rating
1 Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin 2.212
2 Jahlil Okafor, Duke 2.122
3 Justin Anderson, Virginia 1.740
4 Anthony Gill, Virginia 1.648
5 Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky 1.558
6 Dakari Johnson, Kentucky 1.508
7 Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky 1.461
8 Ryan Boatright, Connecticut 1.452
9 Wesley Saunders, Harvard 1.431
10 Terry Rozier, Louisville 1.423

All in a row too.
Looks like a 2 man race, though.

Which brings me back to the game a week ago against UCLA. Everyone was talking OMG UK won by a billion points, but that's expected out of them by now. The bigger story is what a sorry state of affairs that UCLA program is in. Wooden is turning in his grave right now.

Currently losing to Alabama 20-5 with 6:26 in the first half, lol.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Defense did the time warp to last season. If someone has to work to get a 2 point bucket or just makes a good shot, good for them, but they've allowed 6pts plus of uncontested layups. That shit should not happen. Pack it in the paint

Good win against Robert Morris, but with Harrison tweaking his ankle and our problems on turnovers, I expect conference play to be an uphill battle for us each game.

Silkworm

Kurtz.... WHY? Just kill me. *sigh* Kurtz played decently and helped keep the Gators in the game but that play... that play. Carter re-injures himself, UF manages to suck more than FSU today which is quite an achievement this year... just... just... as a Gator fan, f-you 2014!!!!!

Silkworm

Walk-on. Former team trainer. Kid has been a Gator for-ever. I can't tell you how bad I feel for him right now.

Just going to focus on my daughter that is almost here and ignore the pain that is Gators Athletics right now.

Just remember the Gator women's softball and gymnastics teams both won national championships this past year... Oh and the Gator basketball team finally made the Final 4 in 2014. And Gator baseball looks very promising for 2015!

Gotta find some positives as Gator fans, even if recent events with football and basketball seems to overshadow things :) Of course I'm sure your daughter can provide you more joy than any Gator athletic achievement ever could.

bachikarn

goddamn is this Gator team a huge disappointment. They were supposed to at least be an awesome offensive team, but they suck at offense. No one can friggen shoot.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well, that game today sucked.

Oregon redux. At some point we'll learn how to close out a game.

I feel like that point will come when Groce finally figures out Starks isn't a PG and your offense runs way better with Tate on the floor.

It's just going to get worse from here too because Starks isn't going to be going up against many other PG's with a fractured toe like Walton has.

Black also seems to be deserving of some more minutes but I understand that is trickier because you need Hill out there too. Yesterday would have been a great opportunity to get both guys on the floor at the same time because Hill could have easily guarded Irvin at the 3.

Hopefully by the time the NIT rolls around. I see great potential with this squad in making the Final Four of that tourney.
It's funny to see people freaking out. We probably played as well as we have all year on Tuesday. Finally starting to look like an actual basketball team as opposed to a collection of talent. My prediction for this team is that they will:
1. make the NCAA tourney
and
2. make the round of 32
and
3. depending on matchups, could even end up in the S16. Unfortunately they're going to have double digit losses, which means the 8-9 game is in play, which might mean SURPRISE, Duke or UK. In which case we're not going to the S16 no matter how well we're playing into March...

Hill will be the go-to guy on offense, the defense and rebounding will continue to be better, and our shooting will improve as guys get over their slumps. Cosby might even make more than one shot in a game!

I feel like that point will come when Groce finally figures out Starks isn't a PG and your offense runs way better with Tate on the floor.

It's just going to get worse from here too because Starks isn't going to be going up against many other PG's with a fractured toe like Walton has.

Black also seems to be deserving of some more minutes but I understand that is trickier because you need Hill out there too. Yesterday would have been a great opportunity to get both guys on the floor at the same time because Hill could have easily guarded Irvin at the 3.
Tate played great, it's going to be impossible to keep him out of the starting lineup if he can knock down shots and not turn it over -- basically, if he plays like he did against you guys. He's the only legit PG on the roster, after all...

Issue with him is that he's never played that well against legit competition, so it remains to be seen if it was a fluke or a trend.

re: Hill, he might end up at the 3, but Groce will have to manage guys' egos. Also, we'd end up playing a lot more zone that way, which wasn't really working with you guys bombing in 3s from everywhere...

My actual concerns are:
1. Nunn looks hurt. He is slow, he is tentative, he is not good. :(
2. Rice needs to pass the effing ball on that last play of regulation. Come on, man.

Top Bottom