• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Fjordson

Conferences seem sort of irrelevant to me. Like last year the SEC was total total garbage. That's all anyone ever said. Then all of a sudden the SEC accounted for half of the final four. And ESPN and other stations can hardly catch their breath between all of their Big 10 worship, yet the B1G hasn't won a title in 14 years and over the past 25 years they've only won two.

tldr: good team = good team, regardless of conference.

iamblades

Conferences seem sort of irrelevant to me. Like last year the SEC was total total garbage. That's all anyone ever said. Then all of a sudden the SEC accounted for half of the final four. And ESPN and other stations can hardly catch their breath between all of their Big 10 worship, yet the B1G hasn't won a title in 14 years and over the past 25 years they've only won two.

tldr: good team = good team, regardless of conference.

Pretty much.

This isn't football where you need a strong conference to get votes. Basketball is settled on the court, and perceived conference strength has had little to do with postseason success.

The early non conference season in basketball favors teams that have consistency and low turnover, while in the end talent wins out more often than not, and the conferences that have consistently put more talent in the NBA(in terms of players who actually stick in the league) are the Pac12, the ACC, and the SEC. The Big 10, Big East, and Big 12 trail substantially.

In the SEC with the exception of Kentucky, Florida and Vandy, no one has had any stability in coaching recently, which has hurt the league, especially in terms of early season competitiveness, but the SEC is really not that bad of a league, and has substantially outperformed leagues that are perceived as better basketball leagues like the Big 10 and Big East at producing NBA talent, even after you take Kentucky out. It just hasn't performed well in the regular season non conference for whatever reason.

Rating conference strength as a single unit is kind of impossible to do objectively, because it all depends on how you weight it towards the best teams or the worst teams. The ACC probably has the overall best top 5, but the bottom of that league is garbage, yes even worse than the bottom of the SEC. The big 12 has 8 really strong evenly matched teams, but can their best team compete with the top of the ACC (or Kentucky)? Once you get the the middle of the pack, is there really all that much difference between the 40th best team vs the 50th or 60th best?

Timeout. Michigan has a dude that survived not one, but two plane crashes? It's simultaneously amazing yet awful, knowing that basically his whole family died (mother and 2 siblings in the first crash, father and stepmother in the second) and yet this kid survived each one.

In related news, I'll have to keep Michigan jokes to a minimum from here on. (This year. Basketball only.)

theapg

bad loss for Arizona

thank god this happened in December

Arizona hasn't looked that impressive to me. They've won like 4 games by less than 4 against average opponents (other than Gonzaga), and they lost to an average team. The talents there so maybe they will put it together, but right now they don't look too tough.

Arizona hasn't looked that impressive to me. They've won like 4 games by less than 4 against average opponents (other than Gonzaga), and they lost to an average team. The talents there so maybe they will put it together, but right now they don't look too tough.
their much lauded frontcourt has gotten shredded over the past 2 weeks to teams that probably won't make the tournament. I've heard through the grapevine there's something going on with Rondae right now off the court, but I don't know what. We miss Aaron Gordon. We miss Grant Jerrett. With this roster's makeup, I think a FF is wishful thinking.

Timeout. Michigan has a dude that survived not one, but two plane crashes? It's simultaneously amazing yet awful, knowing that basically his whole family died (mother and 2 siblings in the first crash, father and stepmother in the second) and yet this kid survived each one.

In related news, I'll have to keep Michigan jokes to a minimum from here on. (This year. Basketball only.)

Yep, Austin Hatch from Fort Wayne. I'm glad Michigan honored his scholarship and hope he can develop into a rotation player for them.

LycanXIII

JLaw is at the game.

B54umNLCYAAwAS9.jpg

Pollux

There are about 20 missed foul calls against Louisville. Harrell is mugging people in the paint and nothing. Or that elbow to Ullis's head. Bullshit

nillapuddin

Wooooooooooooooooooooo

Never had a single doubt.
I wanted that 10 point spread so bad though.

L's DOWN

"Louisville has the most McDonald’s restaurants per capita in the nation. Kentucky has the most McDonald’s All-Americans"

Fjordson

Awesome win. I should probably stop doubting this team. Ulis was the man.

We didn't play great, but a win is a win. Defense continues to be great.

Pollux

Awesome win. I should probably stop doubting this team. Ulis was the man.

We didn't play great, but a win is a win. Defense continues to be great.
You'll be doubting them all season. It's HARD to go 40-0. But if any team can do it it's this one

nillapuddin

It bothers me how they never acknowledge that the Indiana team went undefeated yes, but only for 32 games. 8 more chances to lose is a pretty substantial difference.

Nor do they ever mention that UK was the team to end Witchita St undefeated attempt.

40-0 seems crazy, but this team is pretty crazy...

Top Bottom