• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

iamblades

UK looking very average right now against Grand Canyon.

Offensively yeah, but we are constantly forcing straight up post ISOs. Being a well coached team, they are double and triple teaming the post every time, and we don't have people in position to take a kickout and/or our bigs don't yet know how to do it.

I don't really care how we look offensively in a game like this, if cal wants to use it as an opportunity to get the bigs some post up reps, that is fine by me. It'd be nice if he draws up some plays in the second half to punish them for double teaming so consistently.

Dat defense and rebounding though. This team, according to the roster at least, has legitimate size for a college team, and on the boards it's like high schoolers playing middle schoolers.

I thought yall were bullshitting but UK actually is playing a team named after a giant hole in the ground.

These Little Sister of the Poor games should really count for a half a win

iamblades

I thought yall were bullshitting but UK actually is playing a team named after a giant hole in the ground.

These Little Sister of the Poor games should really count for a half a win

For a brand new DI program, they actually have a decent amount of talent. Also it's not a tiny no name school, it's a giant for profit school. Say what you will about for profit colleges, it's not like they are resource starved.

I don't think I've seen a little sisters of the poor with 3 6' 11" guys anyway, even stiffs.

Pollux

For a brand new DI program, they actually have a decent amount of talent. Also it's not a tiny no name school, it's a giant for profit school. Say what you will about for profit colleges, it's not like they are resource starved.

I don't think I've seen a little sisters of the poor with 3 6' 11" guys anyway, even stiffs.
We still should be beating them by more than 30...

iamblades

We still should be beating them by more than 30...

Eh, I'm not worried about margin of victory in a game like this. The defense and rebounding have (mostly, aside from a handful of breakdowns) been there, and that alone will win them most of their games.

As I said with the forced post up iso plays, i think Cal is just trying stuff out to see what works.

I've notice he tends to do that with post offense at the start of seasons a lot, I dunno why.

I really liked the look of that finishing 5 with Ulis, both Harrisons, WCS and Towns. I imagine if the platoon system does break down eventually, that will be the primary lineup.

Illini are making me look bad already.
All the guards suck!

In their defense, one (Nunn) sat out all summer (and he looks fine, thankfully), Cosby hasn't played in a year or two, and the same for Starks (who kinda seems to legitimately suck).

Hill, Black, Egwu is looking like a pretty solid front court though...

inm8num2

Michigan State looks like garbage. As talented as Dawson is, he can't really create his own shot and isn't a threat outside the paint.

iamblades

Michigan State looks like garbage. As talented as Dawson is, he can't really create his own shot and isn't a threat outside the paint.

MSU looks awful in the early season almost every year it seems like, I wouldn't be panicking until Izzo isn't sitting on the bench anymore.

Pollux

Eh, I'm not worried about margin of victory in a game like this. The defense and rebounding have (mostly, aside from a handful of breakdowns) been there, and that alone will win them most of their games.

As I said with the forced post up iso plays, i think Cal is just trying stuff out to see what works.

I've notice he tends to do that with post offense at the start of seasons a lot, I dunno why.

I really liked the look of that finishing 5 with Ulis, both Harrisons, WCS and Towns. I imagine if the platoon system does break down eventually, that will be the primary lineup.
Fair point. I do think the platoon system seemed to look pretty good. But you're right they finished solid and they had so many second chance points that Gordon Bombay would be proud.

inm8num2

MSU looks awful in the early season almost every year it seems like, I wouldn't be panicking until Izzo isn't sitting on the bench anymore.

Most people expect it to be a down year. The team has talent and experience, but they're lacking a playmaker who can lead the team or create shots at will. I think the team will get better as the season goes along, but there will be plenty of losses.

iamblades

Fair point. I do think the platoon system seemed to look pretty good. But you're right they finished solid and they had so many second chance points that Gordon Bombay would be proud.

The bizarre thing was all the missed layups. I swear we missed 5 layups on one single possession, which I'd have to imagine if the game was actually in doubt the bigs would have gone up and dunked at least a couple of those.

Also booker had a terribad shooting night, hope he rebounds for the KU game.

The main issue with the Platoon system I'm seeing so far is that the white team has limited options for scoring if a team shuts off driving lanes and they aren't hitting threes. I saw no perceptible dropoff in overall defense and rebounding(though the style changes a little).

If Booker, Lyles and Ulis can hit jump shots it's not an issue, but they didn't really do that tonight.

Fjordson

So Isaiah Briscoe actually did sign a NLI today for UK. Interesting since he said on his announcement thing that he was going to wait until the spring. Either way, good news.

BTM

Nebrasketball starts this Sunday! Tim Miles leading the Huskers to the tourny hopefully again this year.

It feels really weird actually being good at basketball here in Nebraska.

Man, I get so hyped seeing Nunn/Rice/Hill/Egwu + Black off the bench. But then, I'm like...

who's the 5th man? Please be good, Cosby.

Guys, I can finally watch basketball again for the first time in years. This shit is awesome.
Congrats! Back from being overseas in some awful time zone, I assume?

Pollux

The bizarre thing was all the missed layups. I swear we missed 5 layups on one single possession, which I'd have to imagine if the game was actually in doubt the bigs would have gone up and dunked at least a couple of those.

Also booker had a terribad shooting night, hope he rebounds for the KU game.

The main issue with the Platoon system I'm seeing so far is that the white team has limited options for scoring if a team shuts off driving lanes and they aren't hitting threes. I saw no perceptible dropoff in overall defense and rebounding(though the style changes a little).

If Booker, Lyles and Ulis can hit jump shots it's not an issue, but they didn't really do that tonight.

True, but Lyles and Ulis were hauling ass all over the court which does make up for their lack of overall offensive production. Ulis especially was producing for other players and was diving all over for loose balls - I'm willing to forgive a very poor shooting performance if the player is hustling in other aspects - which most of the players were.

It's clear that these guys have bought in to Cal's system which is more than can be said for the teams last year and the year before at this point.

Congrats! Back from being overseas in some awful time zone, I assume?

Ha, I wish. Nah, just finished law school and passed the bar exam, so I can finally have a life again. Which means basketball and watching TV.

iamblades

True, but Lyles and Ulis were hauling ass all over the court which does make up for their lack of overall offensive production. Ulis especially was producing for other players and was diving all over for loose balls - I'm willing to forgive a very poor shooting performance if the player is hustling in other aspects - which most of the players were.

It's clear that these guys have bought in to Cal's system which is more than can be said for the teams last year and the year before at this point.

Ha, I wish. Nah, just finished law school and passed the bar exam, so I can finally have a life again. Which means basketball and watching TV.

Certainly, I agree completely, and I also don't think the shooting issues will last for the white platoon, always have to remember this was their first real game, so nerves can definitely affect the shooting. The advanced stats on ken pom are all favorable aside from 3p%, and this team definitely isn't going to shoot 21.4% from 3 for the year.

Also 66.7% offensive rebounding percentage. :eek:

Well, it was ugly, but eff it. We won! And Rayvonte Rice remains a man's man.

Nunn looked like a little gimpy, kinda terrified about his knee. Hill can't defend the 4 spot worth a crap. Black's a freshman. Starks looks horrible, Cosby looks rusty. Other than that, everything's going according to plan!

Pollux

!! Congrats!
Thanks. And congrats on the win.

Certainly, I agree completely, and I also don't think the shooting issues will last for the white platoon, always have to remember this was their first real game, so nerves can definitely affect the shooting. The advanced stats on ken pom are all favorable aside from 3p%, and this team definitely isn't going to shoot 21.4% from 3 for the year.

Also 66.7% offensive rebounding percentage. :eek:
Good point. I keep forgetting they're mostly freshman bc they look so good

Louisville played well. Gophers had way too many turnovers and couldn't hit a shot to save their lives, even from the free throw line.

Detailed Gophers report where you have no idea who I'm talking about:
Mo Walker came to play. So did Andre Hollins. Everyone else was far worse than their average play. Joey King is pretty much useless save for taking a charge here or there. Elliot Elliason is still pretty much worthless. Mathieu had an off night. The new guys on the team...Mason seems to be the only one worth a lick. The taller dude(forgot his name) just likes to chuck up 3's...but even he's better than McNeil who seemed to be splitting time at small forward. So the Gophers have a point guard, a shooting guard, and a center. Could be rough with only 3 competent players. Buggs showed last year in his limited time that he can play. Hopefully he gets more time infront of Konate or whatever his name is...that dude didn't play a lick of D.

Gophers have a pretty easy Big Ten schedule(Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan 1 game a piece) and a pretty weak non-conference schedule the rest of the way. With such a soft schedule they better win all the games going forward against ranked opponents or we'll be NIT champs again.

Harrell is pretty damn good and Louisville has some dudes who can drive to the hoop. Overall I wasn't too impressed with them though.

MSU is the reverse Duke.

MSU seems to almost lose to some clown school in the non-conference, somehow ends up in the Elite 8 in the NCAAT.

Duke looks like worldbeaters in November, somehow ends up out of the tournament on the first weekend of March.

In other news, pour one out for this guy from Utah.

Props to him for getting back up and back in the game I guess. My butt would have laid right there until they pulled me off the court after that disrespect.

Some UK fans just like to enjoy riding the hype train while it is still going full steam.

Any hardcore fan of another team would do the same. Bama has been doing it for years. I don't know how you could be a fan of UK right now and not be overly excited unless you were taking an inordinate amounts of Xanax everyday.Or unless you were just rational and calm pshhhh.

But there are fans from every team in both threads that can stink it up. But at least it isn't like the professional sport threads. Whew man it gets ugly in there, lol. Never understood why though.

Seth C

What'd I do =[

UK fans on GAF seem fine to me for the most part

He's just grumpy that the UK fans are active and having a conversation in this thread, basically. In other words, he hates that there are enough of here that care enough to talk about our team.

He's just grumpy that the UK fans are active and having a conversation in this thread, basically. In other words, he hates that there are enough of here that care enough to talk about our team.

Reason I don't really visiti in the offseason is its just unc/uk fans talking so i don't bother coming because it's boring. Once the season gets into full swings and fans of other teams start showing up this thread immensely better

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan's offense is deadly as usual. Michigan's defense however is even worse than usual. Poor Kam Chatman got abused today.

Seth C

Reason I don't really visiti in the offseason is its just unc/uk fans talking so i don't bother coming because it's boring. Once the season gets into full swings and fans of other teams start showing up this thread immensely better

Hey. We can't help it that our football team is so terrible that we can start focusing all of our attention on basketball by October. :)

UK's down at halftime and the thread's a ghosttown

obamahmmw.png

Looking for some change to this platoon setup. We need 5 players that really want to win. It has been ugly so far. We need our experienced guys to step up and play our game. Right now they are just trying too hard to catch up.

Seth C

UK's down at halftime and the thread's a ghosttown

obamahmmw.png

Probably because we are actually watching the game? I can't come annoy you here AND post on Rivals AND drink with my dad. Sorry. :p

Looking for some change to this platoon setup. We need 5 players that really want to win. It has been ugly so far. We need our experienced guys to step up and play our game. Right now they are just trying too hard to catch up.

The blue team, mostly comprised of guys who never played hard till the end of last season, aren't playing hard this season? So shocked.

Top Bottom