• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Fjordson

Lmfao @ that blatant travel before the final possession. College basketball is an absolute mess. Holy shit.

Glad we overcame the bullshit/bad second half to win, though.

I swear these college ball teams get dumber and dumber every day.

Every time I think I've seen the worst end-game execution ever, someone goes and tops it the next day.

LSU gets the dunce cap for the time being.

EDIT: Also not only did dude travel but he also stepped out of bounds before he passed the ball. But that's college for you.

Fjordson

I swear these college ball teams get dumber and dumber every day.

Every time I think I've seen the worst end-game execution ever, someone goes and tops it the next day.

LSU gets the dunce cap for the time being.

EDIT: Also not only did dude travel but he also stepped out of bounds before he passed the ball. But that's college for you.
It was Keith Hornsby! Gotta ride the hot hand. Not the NBA talent in their frontcourt!

:jnc

I can make no promises. But if I fail, I'll rock the avatar of your choice for 7 days.

Keep your avatar, and no worries. College refs aren't the greatest, but they're not all bad and not all bad one direction. Both teams get some raw deals, don't stress over it.

Side note, it's funny to see people complain about refs in the NBA. Particularly supposedly self-aggrandizing refs. It's like, have you seen the college game? NBA referees are robots by comparison. College dudes will run 50 feet to point in a player's face over a touch foul.

Saven

Banned
KAT photobomb after the game:

ec

Keep your avatar, and no worries. College refs aren't the greatest, but they're not all bad and not all bad one direction. Both teams get some raw deals, don't stress over it.

Side note, it's funny to see people complain about refs in the NBA. Particularly supposedly self-aggrandizing refs. It's like, have you seen the college game? NBA referees are robots by comparison. College dudes will run 50 feet to point in a player's face over a touch foul.
Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvfTpEWnjuc

Fjordson

Yeah, college refs are much much worse than NBA refs. It's not even close. Part of it I'm sure is the NCAA's fault in how they instruct them to call the games, but it's really really bad.

The NBA is just so much more fun to watch right now. And I say that as a fan of an undefeated team.

MisterR

Yeah, college refs are much much worse than NBA refs. It's not even close. Part of it I'm sure is the NCAA's fault in how they instruct them to call the games, but it's really really bad.

The NBA is just so much more fun to watch right now. And I say that as a fan of an undefeated team.

Yep, to my mind the refs are the worst problem with college basketball. They really need to hire full time refs and go back to the way they told them to call it last year. There will be a ton of fouls at first, but teams will adjust and there will be some freedom of movement. Then drop the shot clock down to 30 seconds.

eznark

Banned
Petteway tried to headbutt an official, didn't get a technical (despite deserving at least three) and is crying about the officials.

OK!

MisterR

RIP to Tark the Shark. I loved watching those Vegas team. So fun, so much swag and he saw through the NCAA like nobody else.

chris121580

Man, really sad news. Loved both of those guys. To talk about the Kentucky game last night, it's amazing how teams just cannot close them out...mainly due to missed free throws. Last night it was missed free throws and not running some clock when they had the chance...totally unacceptable and frustrating to watch it slowly unfold knowing they were going to blow it.

I am obviously not a fan of Kentucky however I will give credit where it's due and it's pretty incredible that Cal has gotten a bunch of superstars to be able to play as a team in such a short amount of time. It's also nice to see a Kentucky team that doesn't show boat after every play or complain about every call that goes against them. It's in my blood to always dislike Kentucky however this seems like the most likable group of players they've had in a long time.

Tonight, I think if we can pull off a miracle that we'll seal a spot in the tournament. The problem is Maryland is going to be out for blood after what we did to them at home and what Iowa did to them the other night. I have a bad feeling about the game but we'll see what happens. It's frustrating to never know with this team.

Lastly, I understand that everyone loves Okafor but if I have the first pick in the draft, I'm strongly considering going with Towns over Okafor. I feel like he's more NBA ready and can be a larger impact for a team than Okafor. I have no doubt Okafor will have success in the NBA but I think it'll take him a few years to get there

MisterR

Man, really sad news. Loved both of those guys. To talk about the Kentucky game last night, it's amazing how teams just cannot close them out...mainly due to missed free throws. Last night it was missed free throws and not running some clock when they had the chance...totally unacceptable and frustrating to watch it slowly unfold knowing they were going to blow it.

I am obviously not a fan of Kentucky however I will give credit where it's due and it's pretty incredible that Cal has gotten a bunch of superstars to be able to play as a team in such a short amount of time. It's also nice to see a Kentucky team that doesn't show boat after every play or complain about every call that goes against them. It's in my blood to always dislike Kentucky however this seems like the most likable group of players they've had in a long time.

Tonight, I think if we can pull off a miracle that we'll seal a spot in the tournament. The problem is Maryland is going to be out for blood after what we did to them at home and what Iowa did to them the other night. I have a bad feeling about the game but we'll see what happens. It's frustrating to never know with this team.

Lastly, I understand that everyone loves Okafor but if I have the first pick in the draft, I'm strongly considering going with Towns over Okafor. I feel like he's more NBA ready and can be a larger impact for a team than Okafor. I have no doubt Okafor will have success in the NBA but I think it'll take him a few years to get there

To me Towns has a higher ceiling than Okafor. He is going to be a beast in the NBA.

Towns has a higher ceiling, but you really think rich man's Nerlens Noel is more NBA ready than somebody who's going to average 17/10 the moment he steps on the court for an NBA franchise?

ho-kay.

MisterR

Towns has a higher ceiling, but you really think rich man's Nerlens Noel is more NBA ready than somebody who's going to average 17/10 the moment he steps on the court for an NBA franchise?

ho-kay.

If you think Town's game resemble's Noel's game in any way, then you haven't been watching Towns play. He has shooting range out to the 3 pt line. He's developed a great back to the basket game to go along with it as well.

If you think Town's game resemble's Noel's game in any way, then you haven't been watching Towns play. He has shooting range out to the 3 pt line. He's developed a great back to the basket game to go along with it as well.

Such a great shooting big man that he's 25% from 3 point line and has attempted 1 3 pointer in the last 5 games.

I like Towns a lot, but let's not get crazy here.

The exact opposite.

Okafor will be averaging 16 and 10 on day 1.

Towns will be better in five years though.

MisterR

Such a great shooting big man that he's 25% from 3 point line and has attempted 1 3 pointer in the last 5 games.

I like Towns a lot, but let's not get crazy here.

He's not going to shoot a lot of 3's at UK, that's what Booker and Aaron Harrison are for. I've watched him play for the national team and he can pop a 3 pointer. At the next level that will just continue to develop. I love Noel, but he basically has no offensive game outside of the lane. Their games have nothing in common, except that they can both block shots. Noel is a much better defender, maybe the best I've ever seen. Towns is much more polished offensively.

Fjordson

You're not alone. Saw lots of media guys saying that on twitter last night. And I don't think they're wrong.

Towns is mostly known for his offensive versatility, but he's been a surprisingly great interior defender also. Currently leading the country in blocks per minute and he's leading UK in blocks overall as part of college's #1 defense. It's impressive.

His per 36 minutes right now are 17 points per game, 12 boards and 4.5 blocks.

ho-kay.
Eh? Towns is so different from Noel. Not the athlete or on ball defender he is, but much better in just about everything else. Especially offensively. I mean even smaller things like free throws show a pretty big gap between the two. Noel shot 50% from the line versus Towns' 77%. Now I would agree that his 3 point shooting was apparently exaggerated coming out of high school. He didn't shoot it well in the pre-season and I don't think he's been a real threat during the season either. But he's shown a knack for just about everything else inside of that.

Okafor is really good also, though. Whether it's Okafor, Towns or Mudiay that goes #1, I don't think the team with that pick will be disappointed.

chris121580

Motherfucker. We left so many damn points on that court. Troy's 2 missed dunks, Hartman's missed layup, and free throws. So frustrating

iamblades

Yeah, WCS is the Nerlens/Davis type(but bigger, which makes it seem even freakier how athletic he is), and Towns is the exact opposite.

Towns is closer to Cousins than Nerlens, if we are sticking with UK big man comparisons.

As far as NBA readiness vs. upside, I think they are both probably the most most NBA ready big men we have seen in years, and should both be double/double guys the minute they enter the league. Towns would be my pick because he is the better defender, and maybe cause I'm a bit biased. I don't think their offensive games are as different as a cursory look at the stats would suggest. Dukes offense basically ensures Okafor can operate mostly one on one in the paint, while UK runs multiple bigs resulting in a much more clogged up paint area.

Upside is hard to judge, but one thing that does stick out to me, is that, measurements aside, to me Towns looks substantially taller than Okafor. I don't know if it just a visual illusion or what, but even on the tallest team in college basketball, he stands out as a big fucking dude. Towns is definitely more athletic as well.

If the Gophers can pull these next two off @ Iowa and @ Indiana...they might be back on the bubble with an easy home date against Northwestern after that and sporting a 7-7 record in conference play. They're going to have to beat Wisconsin at least once though to get a signature victory.

Don't think Michigan State makes the dance. Illinois seems like it'll make it though. Gophers who have a similar resume to Illinois(despite 2 games back in the conference) is up in air. Need to beat Wisconsin. Need to beat Wisconsin.

Top Bottom