• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

iamblades

As I understand it, half of the team (literally) is hurt. Jah, Grayson, Quinn all have bum ankles, and Justice is playing with a broken rib.

Catch-22 for Duke going into ACC Tourney. Go the distance and win it, and the whole team might be in the infirmary by the NCAAT or lose early and get rest, but end up in Kentucky's regional as a 2 seed.

Of course, clutch Duke shows up against good teams so maybe they would somehow overcome the massive size and depth advantage that UK has and...make that game close.

The odd thing is, I don't really fear good offensive teams and skilled teams, because UK's defense is that good when they focus on it. Which is why I don't buy the 'Duke, Gonzaga, Wisconsin have best chance to beat UK because they can shoot. Which is not to say they can't beat us, but those aren't the kind of teams that terrify me based on the historical precedents.

The teams that always fuck us up are teams that are quick, athletic and defense focused, hence fucking UCONN, and that WVU team that knocked out the Wall/Cousins team. That is how you beat Cal's teams historically though, you play a pressing trapping defense with athletic and quick players and don't let them run offense. I can't think of a big game UK has lost since he's been here where it was just because the opponent shot it too well.

I'm not sure who fits that category this year. I guess maybe Arizona, but I haven't been too impressed at all with their bigs when I have watched them. They have a lot of bodies but they are not intimidating.

UVA is clearly a defensive focused team, but they are a conservative scheme based grind it out defense, not the kind of hyper aggressive defense that I'm talking about here. Cal's teams have been perfectly comfortable playing grind it out basketball vs a set defense.

Villanova I haven't watched at all, but just looking at the roster I'm not sure they have to size to match up, they only have 1 player taller than 6'7" in their rotation.

Unrelated but interesting statistic I just noticed. Kentucky has 6 players with a higher BLK% than Okafor, if you count Poythress that is.

Fjordson

Damn. Kinda like Gonzaga so I feel bad for them. Probably out of a #1 seed now.

If things hold, I wonder who the fourth #1 will be. Kentucky, Duke, Virginia and...Arizona? Nova?

So is one of the 1st, 2nd round tournament sites in Vegas? If so I may have to go check it out since I'll be in Vegas that weekend
No Vegas this year. Though there's a regional final in LA.

iamblades

Just clinched the conference in Salt Lake City. Feels Good Man.

Now on to two straight weeks of debating bracket logistics for everyone ranked 3-8

UK UVA Nova Duke

Wisc Zona ?? ??

The last 2 2 seeds are the only spots I don't know. Maybe the Zags and Kansas, but I'm not sold on either of those teams.

The one seeds are solid(unless Duke loses to UL) and I have been mostly solid on those one seeds for a while now.

Damn. Kinda like Gonzaga so I feel bad for them. Probably out of a #1 seed now.

If things hold, I wonder who the fourth #1 will be. Kentucky, Duke, Virginia and...Arizona? Nova?

No Vegas this year. Though there's a regional final in LA.
Maybe there's a chance to check it out since it's near Easter and spring break. Thank you for the info.

as it stands right now, I think it's Nova over Arizona; computers like both (Arizona moreso) but the voters favor the BEast to the Pac-12. If Arizona wins out though it'll make for a really compelling argument for the 1st seed in the West.

I think Duke can drop the game in Chapel Hill next week and still hang on to that 3 spot.

BYU is a tournament team, and Gonzaga still only has 2 losses so it does feel wrong fucking them out of a top seed. But on the other hand fuck them, they're Gonzaga; I don't think the committee shows them any sympathy.

Notre Dame and Wichita St. for the last 2 seed

Actually happy Gonzaga lost. We didn't deserve a 1 seed. Watched most of our games this year and we never really looked that dominant. We should still be either a 2 seed or a 3 in the West.

Bad news: Duke is on pace to have their worst free throw shooting team in 16 years.

Good news:The last time Duke shot free throws this bad was one of, if not the, finest Duke team to not win a title ever.

Talon

Like last year?

I'll repeat it. Don't sleep on Kaminsky. When the best player on the court is on your team, you usually win.
Did I imagine that you lost to Maryland? No doubt Wiscy can get to the Final Four, but I stand by it: Guard play carries the day in the Tournament. We've seen it time and again.

Velcro Fly

Come on Purdue. A sweep of Ohio St. would go a long way to getting into the tourney. Team has played so well lately and another nice road win would be swell.

Kevtones

wtf

Oregon hasn't swept the Bay Area schools on the road in 40 years. Streak over. On Stanford's Senior Day.

This team's tallest player is a 6'9'' freshman. Next is 6'6''.

This team is wizardry.

Yeah one year, not saying they wont but over the past decade Wiscy has severely underperformed in the tournament.
Yes, and they'll go back to underperforming after Kaminsky leaves.

Did I imagine that you lost to Maryland? No doubt Wiscy can get to the Final Four, but I stand by it: Guard play carries the day in the Tournament. We've seen it time and again.
My guys have lost to lots of teams, including Maryland! And Nebraska. And Miami.
mBEbGgn.png

As for Wiscy, they'll be a force in the tourney.

The guy from The Chronicle is basically accusing K of covering up two rapes based on rumors and an anonymous source. Nice.

I didn't read it like that. Sounds to me that they just didn't know what to do and chose to do nothing. Which, in the absence of formal charges through either the Office of Student Conduct and the Durham PD, essentially amounts to a Title IX compliance issue.

The aesthetics of this is bad though, through and through.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't read it like that. Sounds to me that they just didn't know what to do and chose to do nothing. Which, in the absence of formal charges through either the Office of Student Conduct and the Durham PD, essentially amounts to a Title IX compliance issue.

The aesthetics of this is bad though, through and through.

Yep, and the bolded is what makes this so tricky, especially given the lacrosse fiasco and how that turned out, and that was with formal charges (side note: can't believe that was almost a decade ago now...)

I can't see this ending well though, for anyone. Media is going to be all over this.

Yep, and the bolded is what makes this so tricky, especially given the lacrosse fiasco and how that turned out, and that was with formal charges (side note: can't believe that was almost a decade ago now...)

I can't see this ending well though, for anyone. Media is going to be all over this.

I wonder if they're gonna do another "Lunch with Dean Sue" any time soon.

Fjordson

I was just wondering a few days ago what exactly happened to Sulaimon. Story sort of disappeared.

I can't even imagine how frenzied the media would be if it had been a UK player.

I was just wondering a few days ago what exactly happened to Sulaimon. Story sort of disappeared.

I can't even imagine how frenzied the media would be if it had been a UK player.

You put Duke and sexual assault in the same sentence and there's literally not a single more eye-grabbing sentence in sports.

We saw it happen 9 years ago.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You put Duke and sexual assault in the same sentence and there's literally not a single more eye-grabbing sentence in sports.

And this time its the basketball team in a post Penn St coverup world. I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but I'm still curious on how Sulaimon would stay in good standing if there was enough smoke to kick him off the team. I know they don't want to repeat the whole lacrosse mess, but I'm doubting these are false allegations

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
but I'm still curious on how Sulaimon would stay in good standing if there was enough smoke to kick him off the team

I would guess he was kicked off for reasons other than the sexual assault allegations. It's possible that they played a part, but there must've been other serious behavioral issues, otherwise the timing of his dismissal and all of the language surrounding it (and the University's response/lack thereof) just doesn't add up.

edit: which of the Duke guys on here is still a student? any insights from "on the ground" that go beyond more rumors?

edit2:

Adam Rowe @BlueDevilLair
Example of why Duke couldn't have rushed to judgement in the Sulaimon issue, they're being sued for that right now: http://www.wral.com/duke-student-expelled-after-sex-assault-claim-sues-for-degree/13678099/

And this time its the basketball team in a post Penn St coverup world. I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but I'm still curious on how Sulaimon would stay in good standing if there was enough smoke to kick him off the team. I know they don't want to repeat the whole lacrosse mess, but I'm doubting these are false allegations

Multiple allegations of the same nature certainly indicate as such. But the basketball team is not in the business of doling out justice.

We'll just have to wait and see how much action/inaction the school took with these allegations.

So which message board digs up the identity of the mysterious anonymous affiliate that's sourcing the Chronicle article first?

PackPride (who are basically professional PIs at this point), TDD, InsideCarolina, or one of the UK boards?

I would guess he was kicked off for reasons other than the sexual assault allegations. It's possible that they played a part, but there must've been other serious behavioral issues, otherwise the timing of his dismissal and all of the language surrounding it (and the University's response/lack thereof) just doesn't add up.

edit: which of the Duke guys on here is still a student? any insights from "on the ground" that go beyond more rumors?

That would be me.

I've no insider info, unfortunately. Yall know about as much about this as I do.

Fjordson

Well people just making shit up for clicks is no good (though of course that'll happen). Was just a little surprised by how quickly the story faded. I mean isn't this the first player Coach K has kicked off the team in his 30+ year career? Seemed like a huge deal to me when it first broke, so I won't be surprised if Sulaimon was into some heavy shit.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So which message board digs up the identity of the mysterious anonymous affiliate that's sourcing the Chronicle article first?

PackPride (who are basically professional PIs at this point), TDD, InsideCarolina, or one of the UK boards?

That would be me.

I've no insider info, unfortunately. Yall know about as much about this as I do.

There is enough self loathing and guilt at Duke that an outside source is not remotely necessary.

DominoKid

That would be me.

Nobody will dig deep on it. Packpride doesn't have little dick complex with yall like they do with us. IC sucks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Nobody will dig deep on it. Packpride doesn't have little dick complex with yall like they do with us. IC sucks.

C'mon Domino, you don't even believe that. Duke basketball is the most hated sports team in the US, save maybe Notre Dame football. There is no safe haven, the state isn't full of Duke graduates in positions of power to protect them a la UNC, and there are a ton of journalists who probably see K as the last Paterno coach deity and would love to take his whole program down.

I'm not saying this is all one big conspiracy, but when there smoke at Duke, EVERYONE is hunting for the fire.

Fjordson

Do people really still hate Duke more than UK? I don't know if that's the case. Just about every week I read something about how UK is ruining the sport.

edit: though I guess you could say that's more about the media getting on Calipari as opposed to UK as a whole.

Top Bottom