• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus these announcers are awful. When they aren't pushing Lunardi's Bracketology, they're flip-flopping back and forth about "Duke's FT shooting being a major liability for the NCAAT" to "Duke has 2 incredible FT-shooting guards that are huge assets for them in late-game situations"

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Jesus these announcers are awful. When they aren't pushing Lunardi's Bracketology, they're flip-flopping back and forth about "Duke's FT shooting being a major liability for the NCAAT" to "Duke has 2 incredible FT-shooting guards that are huge assets for them in late-game situations"

Those ass clowns said Villanova deserved a 1 seed more because they were better at FTs. Never knew that was a criteria.

profile_picture_by_kanyeshrug-d49hh4v.png

I guess it's better than a loss. Only slightly though.

TomShoe

Banned
Fuck! So close again. I swear, Virginia Tech athletics this year have been one big "almost." We can never seem to get it done when it counts. I knew it was over as soon as they botched that rotation that left Cook wide open.

EDIT: Scratch that almost. We just suck.

Here's a shot of the stadium during OT. Surprisingly enough, there were a LOT of Duke fans there, more than I thought there would be. Oh well, maybe we can get the upset at UVA, BC, or Miami coming up.

11025770_802515519797871_7863706576023311899_n.jpg

Y'all remember how Klay Thompson went for 37 in a quarter for Golden State this year?

Florida State's Xavier Rathan-Mayes went for 30 points in 4:39 against Miami.

(Seminoles still lost.)

Rob Dauster ‏@RobDauster 33m
The comeback is gonna come up short, but Xavier Rathan-Mayes scored 30 points in the final 4:30 against Miami. Insane.

Florida State's Xavier Rathan-Mayes scored 30 points in the final 4:39 of an 81-77 loss to Miami. Rathan-Mayes scored his 4th and 5th points of the night with 9:39 remaining in the first half, then didn't score again for 25 minutes - until a 3-pointer with 4:39 remaining in the game. Rathan-Mayes scored 30 of the Seminoles' final 33 points and finished the game with 35 points.

ESPN Stats & Information

Chris Jones charged with rape and sodomy

Former Louisville guard Chris Jones has been charged with raping one woman and sodomizing another and a warrant has been issued for his arrest, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported Thursday morning.

The alleged sexual assaults took place Saturday night, according to the report, and one of Jones' alleged victims, who was hospitalized on Sunday, identified him as the suspect.

According to the Courier-Journal, one of Jones' alleged victims was a 19-year-old woman and the other was 20.

Jones is expected to surrender in court this morning.

Louisville has not been allowed to comment due to privacy laws and an ongoing investigation.

EDIT:

UL's statement

B-yIsW5UAAAOpJY.png:large

alstein

UNC is 14th despite putting up 18 points in 20 minutes vs. NC State, despite them ranking 83rd in defensive efficiency.

State has been playing a lot better defensively the past 2-3 weeks. Cat Barber's emergence and BeeJay Anya getting more PT has helped.

DominoKid

sodomy is a crime if it's forced. not sure why it's never been included under the rape umbrella though. maybe because you can rape someone by forcing them to give you oral or even just violating them with a finger (or some kind of object).

i think one of the duke fans (peterb0y?) works in law so they'd probably be able to spell it out better.

Fjordson

sodomy is a crime if it's forced.
Oh damn, so it's considered an additional crime and not just rape. Gotcha.

Crazy if that's true. Like I said earlier, there had been a bunch of rumours about Jones getting into some real bad shit lately. That threatening text Louisville talked about in an announcement was just the tip of the problem.

inm8num2

Holy shit is anyone watching Minny-MSU? Unreal last couple of minutes. MSU lost the lead with around 4 left, got it back, Minny hanging around. 2.2 seconds left Minny hits a 3 to tie and MSU fouls the shooter. King missed the FT so it looks like we're going to OT (1.9 seconds for MSU to try something).

inm8num2

Ballgame. Bad loss based on Minny's record, but given how many close games the Gophers have lost they were bound to get one eventually.

Might need to steal one @ Indiana (and beat Purdue at home) to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday.

edit - maybe not over yet, Valentine cuts the lead down to 3 with 38 seconds left.

edit 2 - yea, it's over.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Too much Trimble. Michigan got the lead down to 3 and 4 at different points between the 6-8 minute mark and he hit a 3 both times to push the lead back out. Then Well got going and things got really difficult.

Smotrycz also did a great job of keeping Doyle off the offensive boards. Which is where Ricky is usually at his best.

Good game Terps.

Today in as the ACC turns...

NC State fresh off their beat down of UNC in Chapel Hill lost by 14 to the previously 10 win Boston College Eagles.

Georgia Tech took fourteen minutes to score their first field goal against Clemson and still managed to take it to overtime.

alstein

Today in as the ACC turns...

NC State fresh off their beat down of UNC in Chapel Hill lost by 14 to the previously 10 win Boston College Eagles.

Georgia Tech took fourteen minutes to score their first field goal against Clemson and still managed to take it to overtime.

That was a big, and expected egg from State. Think they're ok if they win their last two though.

Fjordson

these announcers in this UK game are hilarious. Raftery is messing himself at everything UK does then they put up a brick.
Yeah, or the "everyone talks about the talent on offense, but you forget the defensive prowess!!!". Even though people talk about our defense more than our offense.

Karl2177

Someone needs to let this Iowa State team know that basketball games are 40 minutes long, not 36. The last 4 minutes of the last 2 games have been god fucking awful.

Solid win. Looked good on both sides of the ball. Usually this time of the year I don't mind a loss but I don't think we have any lessons to learn. We play hard, Cal has mastered the lineup changes and we keep a solid pace, can break presses with limited turnovers, we have shooters, consistent ability to get penetration and we know when to go inside. We can play an outside-inside game, good clock management, outside defense is solid, in the paint it is one of the best in years, decent free throw percentage, shot selection is mostly good and we are overall just well disciplined and conditioned.

As a lifetime fan of the game I am ready to see some history made and if it is my team that might do it, sure why not? If you don't like UK I understand but if there was any other team that looked this good I would root for them as long as we weren't playing against them. I'm all in Cat GAF. Buy in and let's get behind our team to do big things.

Also, I'll be at the Florida game next week if anyone else wants to meet up.

Not to get ahead of myself, but who is running point for Duke next year? I thought Sulaimon might slide over, a la Jon Scheyer in his senior year. But with him gone, who can run the show?

Assuming Marshall Plumlee doesn't want the job, that is.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not to get ahead of myself, but who is running point for Duke next year? I thought Sulaimon might slide over, a la Jon Scheyer in his senior year. But with him gone, who can run the show?

Is Kennard a combo guard or straight SG?

Quinn Cook is having an off night from the 3.

Would anyone (a) notice or (b) cry foul if Duke brought one of Andre Buckner, Sean Dockery, or Tyler Thornton back for an extra year? I'm assuming they couldn't get away with Greg Paulus.

Cook finally makes a 3. 39 straight games with a made 3, Duke record (Trajan Langdon - 37). They said on the broadcast that the ACC record belongs to Dennis Scott (GT) with 69.

Real talk, I'm surprised that JJ Redick doesn't have either record.

Good win.

I've thought a good deal about this and I believe that Matt Jones would be the pick. Not necessarily because he's a good point guard, mind you, but because he'd probably be the most reliable ballhandler. Kennard is an unknown, Grayson has been really shaky a couple of times.

I expect a lot of (buzzword du jour) positionless basketball next year. No true point guard, no true small forward, only Marshall Plumlee as a real center.

Coach K is trying to sweet talk 2016 PG Derryck Thorton to reclassify to 2015 and take over for Jones next year.

JJ Redick's longest game streak with a made 3 was 35 games, his last 35 as a senior.

He played in 139 games, made a 3 in 134 of them. He had streaks of 19, 10, 25, 24, 21, and 35.

His 3-less games:

Feb 13, 2003, Wake Forest (0-4)
Mar 20, 2003 Colorado State (0-3)
Feb 18, 2004 Wake Forest (again) (0-5)
Jan 13, 2005 NC State (0-4)
Nov 14, 2005 Boston U (0-3)

Stupid Wake, Stupid State, and Stupid Red Sox.

As I understand it, half of the team (literally) is hurt. Jah, Grayson, Quinn all have bum ankles, and Justice is playing with a broken rib.

Catch-22 for Duke going into ACC Tourney. Go the distance and win it, and the whole team might be in the infirmary by the NCAAT or lose early and get rest, but end up in Kentucky's regional as a 2 seed.

Of course, clutch Duke shows up against good teams so maybe they would somehow overcome the massive size and depth advantage that UK has and...make that game close.

DominoKid

man out of all the good teams UK played i think we had the best game by far against them. and they still kicked our ass. so i wouldnt give yall much of a shot against them either. especially since yall flat out lack the bodies to throw at them. 40-0 feels like an inevitability.

im always in favor of tanking the ACC Tourney. obviously it's nice to win it. but when we have elite teams i'd rather we just rest up for the real tourney. this year i say we should take it seriously cause we're definitely not going anywhere in the real tourney. plus it'd be our first tourney win of any kind since the 09 title i think and it's about time the program get used to winning something again.

I'm going to change the rule back to the time when only conference champions went to the NCAA tournament.

And I'd only take 8 of those.
And play 3 rounds best of 3.

Conferences are free to determine their champion however they want -- regular season, free-for-all tournament, top 2 in a playoff, whatever.

Top Bottom