• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Do people really still hate Duke more than UK? I don't know if that's the case.

I think most hate these days for Kentucky is actually hate for Calipari that just rubs off onto whichever program he's at, plus general jealousy of how good the team currently is.

Hating Duke Basketball is as American as apple pie and baseball and has been basically for three decades.

Fjordson

Yes. A thousand times yes.
I think you're right as far as Duke and Kentucky on their own, but Calipari is an explosive variable that makes people lose their minds.

I guess saying Calipari is the most hated coach would be more accurate.

I think most hate these days for Kentucky is actually hate for Calipari that just rubs off onto whichever program he's at, plus general jealousy of how good the team currently is.
You're probably right.

If we manage to win it all I expect a lot more of these: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/is-kentucky-killing-college-basketball-20150227

I don't really enjoy watching Kentucky, largely because it feels like the ultimate conflation of college basketball into a professional enterprise. I'd rather watch a game between two very good mid-major teams that feels wholly like college sports. I don't want this future; I don't think anyone outside of Lexington wants this future, either.

Stahp media people.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Do people really still hate Duke more than UK? I don't know if that's the case. Just about every week I read something about how UK is ruining the sport.

edit: though I guess you could say that's more about the media getting on Calipari as opposed to UK as a whole.

Yep. People hate Cal, not so much UK. People hate both Duke and K (although general K-hate has started to diminish a bit ever since he took over USA Basketball and won 2 gold medals)

Karl2177

If ISU wins against OU and @TCU, BAY wins @UT and TTU, WVU wins @KU and OSU, and OU wins against KU, there would be a 5 way tie for the Big 12 title. #OneTrueChampion

You put Duke and sexual assault in the same sentence and there's literally not a single more eye-grabbing sentence in sports.

We saw it happen 9 years ago.

I think there's quite a few bigger eye grabbers given how low on the totem pole college hoops is these days, but it is still a pretty big deal.

Talon

That argument is basically "College Basketball should be what it always is - bad perimeter players and bad big men translating into 'good defense.'"

I think there's quite a few bigger eye grabbers given how low on the totem pole college hoops is these days, but it is still a pretty big deal.

How high up the totem pole was lacrosse though?

Duke is hated for what it stands for. Cal is hated by people who care about college basketball, Duke hate is universal.

polls are out:

AP said:
1 Kentucky (65) 29-0 1,625
2 Virginia 27-1 1,547
3 Duke 26-3 1,501
4 Villanova 27-2 1,417
5 Arizona 26-3 1,338
6 Wisconsin 26-3 1,318
7 Gonzaga 29-2 1,244
8 Wichita St 27-3 1,104
9 Kansas 23-6 1,087
10 Maryland 24-5 1,035
11 Northern Iowa 27-3 908
12 Notre Dame 24-5 879
13 Utah 22-6 823
14 Baylor 22-7 801
15 Oklahoma 20-8 759
16 Louisville 23-6 728
17 Iowa State 20-8 536
18 Arkansas 23-6 515
19 North Carolina 20-9 435
20 West Virginia 22-7 389
21 Butler 21-8 359
22 SMU 23-6 210
23 Ohio State 21-8 114
24 Providence 20-9 91
25 Murray St 26-4 79

Coaches said:
1 Kentucky (32) 29-0 800
2 Virginia 27-1 764
3 Duke 26-3 732
4 Villanova 27-2 688
5 Wisconsin 26-3 664
6 Arizona 26-3 654
7 Gonzaga 29-2 618
8 Wichita St 27-3 557
9 Maryland 24-5 505
10 Kansas 23-6 480
11 Notre Dame 24-5 469
12 Northern Iowa 27-3 420
13 Utah 22-6 392
14 Louisville 23-6 384
15 Oklahoma 20-8 359
16 Baylor 22-7 353
17 Iowa State 20-8 275
18 Arkansas 23-6 264
19 North Carolina 20-9 215
20 West Virginia 22-7 203
21 Butler 21-8 165
22 SMU 23-6 74
23 Providence 20-9 65
24 Murray St 26-4 50
25 Ohio State 21-8 42

Have a sneaky suspicion that Cuse beats UVa in the Carrier Dome tonight.

And I'm not just saying that because we need Virginia to lose their last two games in order to not outright win the ACC Regular Season Title for the second year in a row, validating BennettBall and inspiring other schools to take their basketball back to the Stone Age.

EDIT:As for seeding, if all three teams win out, I couldn't see the committee not giving the 1 seed out West to Arizona over Nova and Sconi.

Fjordson

I think Wisconsin is going to end up snagging that 4th 1 seed when it's all said and done.

UNC still in the top 20 huh? I'll take it...
I've seen media guys saying that Wisconsin is well behind Nova and Arizona in the committee's eyes. Not really sure why they were saying that exactly, but that sentiment kept popping up over the weekend. And today Lunardi has Nova as the fourth 1.

Real talk, I don't even care how Virginia goes about winning. I'm just happy that another team in the ACC is relevant.

Virginia can win games 42-30 all year long, I don't have to watch them play when they're not playing Duke. If the powers that be in the NCAA don't like it, maybe change the rules (and enforce them) to make the game faster and free-flowing.

DominoKid

UVA might be my most hated team right now. Can't wait to see them botch it in the S16 because their offense blows dick. Total regular season team.

I mean, UVa's defense is excellent. Truly great, and I don't want to downplay that.

But this is so tough to watch man.

And I don't think there's any chance that they could take an offense this bad and stand a chance against Kentucky.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I mean, UVa's defense is excellent. Truly great, and I don't want to downplay that.

And I don't think there's any chance that they could take an offense this bad and stand a chance against Kentucky.

Their offense has been really, really bad this game but the last two games it's been pretty good and they are still without Justin Anderson. I think they have a chance. I just love the team because they truly are a team. The key with them is they also endure and are very patient - to beat them, any team they face has to give it all they got.

Anyway, as for this game, it certainly wasn't a good display on UVA's part for the majority of that half.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think I heard Justin Anderson could be back as early as the UVA and Louisville game on Saturday. That would be awesome if he does, but I hope he doesn't go in too early. Perrantes already kind of cut it close going back in so early after a broken nose and mild concussion (he actually rebroke his nose against Tech).

hoos30

That start was pretty brutal, but that was also the worse they had done all year. Think about how mentally tough they are to overcome that start and win by a dozen on the road.

MisterR

UVA plays some great defense, but you can't have scoring droughts like they have in the NCAA tournament and win a championship. They fall behind a top 15 type team 13-2 and they are losing. I see them making the Elite 8 and getting bounced.

Back from my ban(politics). How bout them Gophers over Sparty? Minnesota has 2 decent road victories @Michigan State and @Iowa and many other bubble teams don't have any road victories. Throw in a neutral site win over Georgia and that's 3 good road wins. Of course they have 3 bad losses as well. But if they can beat Wisconsin at home on Thursday this will be a replay of last year. Gophers RPI will shoot up to the 50s or so, then they'll beat Penn St at home and they'll finish with the same record as last year in conference play and have an RPI around 50. They'll need to get past Indiana(7-10) and Maryland in the Big Ten conference and probably win the semifinal game (Purdue/Ohio State???)...but if they make it to the championship game of the BT tourney having beat Wisconsin earlier...and then they take out Indiana/Maryland/Ohio State...3 teams they did not beat in the regular season as they played them all only once(State being the closest at home). Then how can you not put in a team who then would have beaten...

Wisconsin
Maryland
Ohio State
Iowa
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois

That's all the teams above us besides Michigan who beat us with Lavert after we blew a 10 point lead on the road.

So if Minnesota gets a draw that puts them up again Indiana/Maryland(likely) and then Ohio State in the semis and they win all 3 of those games plus beat Wisconsin and Penn state at home to finish the season...I don't see how you can keep the Gophers out of the tournament. They don't even need to win the BT tournament.

UVA plays some great defense, but you can't have scoring droughts like they have in the NCAA tournament and win a championship. They fall behind a top 15 type team 13-2 and they are losing. I see them making the Elite 8 and getting bounced.

That's exactly how I see a potential game against UK going. Virginia's defense is elite in the half-court, but the one place you can get them is in transition.

I'd see Kentucky using their size and athleticism to turn Virginia over early and often (and that's not a knock on UVa, basically every team in the country struggles with UK's size) and score quick buckets in transition, putting Virginia in a hole they don't have the offense to dig themselves out of.

MisterR

Pretty interesting.

Since the 2001-2002 season 34 teams seeded 1-4 for the NCAAT have had an Adj Defense rank of 60th or below.

Below are the NCAAT results for those 34 teams

0 wins => 10 times (29.4%)
1 win => 12 times (35.3%)
2 wins => 8 times (23.5%)
3 wins => 2 times (5.9%)
4 wins => 2 times (5.9%)
So overall those 34 teams went an abyssmal 42-34 (.553) and 88.2% of the time they didn't get past the Sweet 16.

For the teams that met the criteria
1 seeds (2 teams) had a 6-2 record (.750) with 1 making the SW16 and the other the F4 (2003 Texas)
2 seeds (8 teams) had a 9-8 record (.529) with only 2 even making the SW16 and zero F4's
3 seeds (10 teams) had a 16-10 record (.615) with 5 making the SW16 and one making the F4 (2003 Marquette)
4 seeds (14 teams) had an 11-14 record (.440) with only 3 even making the SW16 and zero F4's

As a comparison
all other 1 seeds (50 teams) went 166-42 (.798) and made the F4 34.0% of the time and won 8 titles
all other 2 seeds (44 teams) went 115-43 (.728) and made the F4 22.7% of the time and won 1 title
all other 3 seeds (42 teams) went 89-39 (.695) and made the F4 11.9% of the time and won 3 titles
all other 4 seeds (38 teams) went 67-38 (.638) and made the F4 15.8% of the time
So overall the teams with ADJ D rank better than 60th had a winning percentage of (.726)

1-4 seeds in the last 13 seasons
ADJ Def >60th F4 5.9% of the time
ADJ Def 1-59th F4 23.0% of the time
That's 4 times more likely to make the F4

What about those team's Offensive numbers you say?...
The only 2 offending teams to make the F4 were both in 2003 and those teams were #1 and #2 in Adj O so that is a bit of good news. However 6 other such "suspect" defensive teams were ranked either #1 or #2 in ADJ O and those teams went a putrid 9-7 and only one (2014 UM) made it past the SW16.

Teams currently looking sketchy in this regard
Duke - Likely 1 or 2 seed currently sitting at 71st
Iowa St. - Likely 3 or 4 seed currently sitting at 88th
Notre Dame - Likely a 3 or 4 seed currently sitting at 148th
Arkansas - Possible 4 seed currently sitting at 78th

Now teams for sure still have time to improve and all of the above except for ND could play well defensively for the next 2 weeks and improve into the top 60.

Other teams that need to trend better defensively in order to stay out of this discussion
Wisconsin - Likely 2 seed currently sitting at 47th
West Virginia - Possible 4 seed currently sitting at 39th
Maryland - Likely 3 or 4 seed currently sitting at 44th
North Carolina - Possible 4 seed currently sitting at 46th

From slightly different angle.

2014: UConn: O (39) D (10)
2013: L-Ville O (4) D (3)
2012: UK O (2) D (8)
2011: UConn O (18) D (13)
2010: Duke O (1) D (9)
2009: UNC O (1) D (21)
2008: KU O (2) D (1)
2007: Florida O (1) D (17)
2006: Florida O (3) D (6)
2005 UNC O (2) D (12)
2004: UConn O (9) D (5)
2003: Cuse O (14) D (14)
2002: Maryland O (2) D (9)

If you look at all the runner-up, you will also find that multiple teams ranked outside of the top 20 on O, but the Butler (44) 2011 ,MIchigan (48) UK (41) 2014 teams were the only ones not to be at least top 20 in D efficiency. Butler (48) was only team to play for title that wasn't at least in top 20 for efficiency or D..

I did some additional research on those Butler teams and during their two year run, they won something like 8 games that were a possession or less (3 pts or less). No other teams who went back to back to the Final 4 were in more than 4 games of similar note. A true anomaly of a run.

Unfortunately, we have to bring it back to this sorry business

Duke AD Kevin White's statement on the Sulaimon Chronicle article

“Any allegation of student misconduct that is brought to the attention of our staff and coaches is immediately referred to the Office of Student Conduct in Student Affairs, which has responsibility for upholding the Duke code of conduct. The athletics department does not investigate or adjudicate matters of student conduct, and cooperates completely in the process,” White said.

“These investigations are conducted thoroughly, in a timely manner, and with great care to respect the privacy and confidentiality of all students involved. Those procedures have been, and continue to be, followed by Coach Mike Krzyzewski and all members of the men’s basketball program. Coach Krzyzewski and his staff understand and have fulfilled their responsibilities to the university, its students and the community.”

Krzyzewski was asked several times during the Atlantic Coast Conference’s weekly coaches’ teleconference to comment on the Chronicle's report. He declined each of those opportunities. White said Tuesday that was a matter of policy.

“As specified by federal law and university policy, all Duke officials, including Coach Krzyzewski, are prohibited from commenting publicly on any specific individual or situation.”

inm8num2

I kind of want Indiana to win this one so that when MSU goes there this weekend, the Hoosiers don't have their backs to the wall and all that.

I kind of want Indiana to win this one so that when MSU goes there this weekend, the Hoosiers don't have their backs to the wall and all that.

Unless we get super-hot from 3 point range, I'd fully expect MSU to beat us by double digits again. I'm out of hope for this team.

Fjordson

Final road game for UK tonight. Kinda nervous since we didn't look great playing Georgia at home and they were without their best player.

Iowa I could see make a run to the Elite 8. They have a solid team. Uthoff is a solid player. Indiana was still making 3's tonight in the second half(when I started watching)...team is unreal from behind the arc. I don't see Indiana going far in the tournament however.

Servbot24

Banned
Iowa I could see make a run to the Elite 8. They have a solid team. Uthoff is a solid player. Indiana was still making 3's tonight in the second half(when I started watching)...team is unreal from behind the arc. I don't see Indiana going far in the tournament however.

We do have the ability to do that, but we're not consistent enough. We can blow out Maryland as well as lose to Northwestern. We'll have a misstep at some point for sure.

That said things are shaping up well. If we win 2 or 3 more games we could land as high as a 6 seed. If we win our first round NCAA tourney game I'll be content with the season.

inm8num2

If MSU and OSU win tomorrow night four teams will be 11-6, with two of them getting the 3 and 4 seeds (double byes) in the B1G.

Top Bottom