• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Before UNC fans fling themselves off the nearest cliffs, couple things to consider

1. NCSU beat Duke and L'ville
2. They almost beat UVA and should have beaten ND
3. This gets them (most likely) in the tourney
4. It wasn't Clemson.

Yeah, also factor in that the Louisville win was a road win and they almost beat UNC earlier this year and they may be the most dangerous nearly 0.500 (league) team in the country. Hopefully this gets them in (barring their normal choking against terrible teams).

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bigger news: Cuse is about to hand ND a loss at South Bend

The ACC just officially became a two horse race in one night. All we need is for Wake to give UVa a loss tomorrow and it will be game on*

*Of course assuming Duke doesn't crap up in Blacksburg which they've been known to do from time to time. Also assuming the Wake/UVa game is even played considering the blizard/apocalypse is coming to North Carolina tomorrow night.

Va Tech lost to App St. I know everyone shows up for Duke, but as long as the team doesn't sleepwalk, they win by double digits.

Crisco

Banned
Gottfried gets credit for the idea to go full boreball, which totally fucked UNC's transition game. Good game feels good.

UNC it's not that ba...

Joe Giglio ‏@jwgiglio 38m38 minutes ago
NC State ends 11-game losing streak in Chapel Hill, first win over Roy Williams at Smith Center, first win at UNC since 2003

Ken Medlin ‏@kenmedlin 36m36 minutes ago
Per #UNC, 46 is the lowest point total for Heels at the Smith Center - ever...

Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt 37m37 minutes ago
The last time N.C. State beat UNC in Chapel Hill, the Panthers were lining up a free agent visit for some cat named Jake Delhomme.

Andrew Batchelor ‏@awbatchelor 34m34 minutes ago
That awkward moment when you criticize fans then score less than 50 and lose to State at home

B-p35-RUYAAZhZo.jpg

...It's worse!

7297_3688.gif

Sconi you better beat the Turtles for your own sake.

If you don't they'll say they're your rival and hound you for it for the rest of time.

Or at least until they betray the conference and run to the Big East or some shit.

Grover chirping, are there any Terp fans here to respond?

You're probably too young to remember the late 90s, early 2000s, but the rivalry was firing and the hate was real.

Yeah, we left the ACC and that sucks, but fuck Duke still.

Grover chirping, are there any Terp fans here to respond?

You're probably too young to remember the late 90s, early 2000s, but the rivalry was firing and the hate was real.

Yeah, we left the ACC and that sucks, but fuck Duke still.

Oh I remember it all. The Miracle Minute, the 01 Final Four, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Lonny Baxter all of em.

We had some good games.

But as RF said, any hate in that rivalry was one-sided. Duke fans didn't, don't, and never will treat Maryland how they treat UNC.

Aside: My pops actually grew up a Maryland fan in the 80s. He switched to Duke basically around the same time Len Bias passed.

Bowser

Sitting here thinking about UNC since that '09 title feeling like Stevie Johnson:

"I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO..."

chris121580

Total trap game for my Hoosiers tonight against a hot Northwestern team. If we can get a win tonight, we should be set for the tournament

ryseing

Yeah, also factor in that the Louisville win was a road win and they almost beat UNC earlier this year and they may be the most dangerous nearly 0.500 (league) team in the country. Hopefully this gets them in (barring their normal choking against terrible teams).

We're over .500, thank you (8-7).

On the brightside for the Heels, Carolina's win in Raleigh can now be considered a resume builder!

Was just thinking about that. We're now a quality win for Cincy, WV, and Carolina.

nillapuddin

My sister is on her way to Mississippi St game and her and 2 other cars slid off the road because of the conditions, luckily she and her car are okay. Someone helped get her car out of the ditch but she's really scared of driving home tonight.

If any of my BBN family or local Bulldog fans are there tonight, please be safe and careful driving there and back tonight.

Sorry we're gunna ruin your week Mississippi, but don't take that out on my sister.

Okafor is playing tonight.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 11m
Now official RT @Duke_MBB HE'S BACK! @BigJah15 will be in the starting lineup for Duke tonight.

Details
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 13m
Okafor participating in warmups fully

Details
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 48m
Plan is for Jahlil Okafor to play tonight vs VTech, barring any setbacks in warmups

Maybe ESPN2 can go back to Richmond for a third overtime.

Laura Keeley @laurakeeley · 1m
half: VTech 39, Duke 37. Hokies shot 69 percent from the field

Laura Keeley @laurakeeley · 2m
Devin Wilson stepping out of bounds will count as one of Duke's "stops" -- VT scored on 16 of last 18 possessions

Laura Keeley @laurakeeley · 4m
This is incredible. Hokies cutting Duke up, can't miss, have scored on 16 of last 17 possessions

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Oak needs to be benched. The ankle is not 100%, his D makes Jabari ashamed and the rest of the team is phoning it in with him in there.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Oak needs to be benched. The ankle is not 100%, his D makes Jabari ashamed and the rest of the team is phoning it in with him in there.

Not with the way we're shooting tonight. We need his offense.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
As bad as UNC looked last night, Duke looks worse.

This is the worst defensive display I've seen in a long time from a Duke team. And I lived through 2011-12

And they aren't losing to a mediocre team, they are losing to the worst ACC team that arguably doesn't have much ACC talent. App St beat VT and App St is a terrible basketball team.
At this point I'm almost rooting for VT just to see the fallout.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The only reason this game is close is because VT is hitting ridiculous 3's. I've said this before, but mediocre teams keep doing to us this season, and it's not because we're not defending the 3 well. Literally doubling their season percentage

The only reason this game is close is because VT is hitting ridiculous 3's. I've said this before, but mediocre teams keep doing to us this season, and it's not because we're not defending the 3 well. Literally doubling their season percentage

That's the definition of not defending the three well...

The saving grace for this season is that Duke somehow turns super clutch when they play good teams.

If they somehow manage to not get upset by a guppy and make it to the E8, they'll definitely win it all

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
That's the definition of not defending the three well...

You can't really do anything when teams are hitting contested 3s all day on you. That's not bad defense. It's not like we're giving these teams open looks on all of them.

You can't really do anything when teams are hitting contested 3s all day on you. That's not bad defense. It's not like we're giving these teams open looks on all of them.

The last four threes VT made. Duke players are not contesting. They're half assing close outs and they're just watching them shoot.

At some point you have to ask. Why does it always happen to you? Is it bad luck all the time or is it just you suck at Defense?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Really could use that Tyus Jones 3 pointer that rolled around like 6 times before missing from the first half...

edit: not sure this team has the energy for another OT game with our thin roster...oof

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Coach K is now in the Bob Knight phase of his career. He needs to abandon the 1 and dones or M2M, and hopefully he has a retirement strategy in mind....soon.

Top Bottom