• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

iamblades

Aside from KAT's foul trouble fucking up the offensive flow of the blue platoon, the bigest thing the team needs to learn from this game is that you ALWAYS have to get back in transition, no matter who you are playing.

This was the first time we saw the effect that UK's depth is going to have on teams this year. This game was won mostly just by wearing them out physically. In the last third of that game, UK was just physically fresher, and quicker to the ball.

ETA: our kenpom stats actually improved after this game, but it's hard to know the accuracy of those this early.

Speaking of kenpom, is his average height stat correct?

Cause according to him Kentucky's average height is over 22 inches taller than the D1 average. I mean I know we are big, but that has to be inaccurate:

Average Height: 79.8" 1 57.7"
I mean 57.7 is less than 5 feet tall.

ETA: Ahh I see, every team that hasn't played a game has 0.0 average height.

DominoKid

this is going to be an unexciting season if our outside shooting doesn't come around. i dread watching us attack zones all season.

UCF beats Stetson in Orlando. I still maintain UCF should only play them at their campus. It's tradition to take over their stadium going back to our Atlantic Sun conference days.

thefro

Mike Davis comes back to Indiana tonight with his Texas Southern team. They lost most of their players from their NCAA appearance last year but it's definitely more intriguing than your normal cupcake match-up.

Bowser

1430928.gif

lol Joel James side eye

ESPN's CBB Tip-Off Marathon (from 7:00 EST tonight to 9:30 tomorrow night)

B2rF3MzCIAAKSgN.jpg

Pick your poison. Obviously the Champions Classic is being considered the marquee event of the day, but still a lot of intriguing match-ups elsewhere.

In other news, The best moment from Duke's short season so far

Marshall Plumlee's already made more ill-advised jumpshots than Josh Hairston did in his 7 years at Cameron.

Fjordson

I'm pretty nervous about the Kansas game tomorrow. I'd love to keep our #1 ranking for more than a week this year, but it seems like we still have some kinks to work out.

Duke -6.5 right now.

Bet the farm, folks - they're absolutely going to destroy MSU.

I really don't want to sound overconfident and have it backfire in my face, but...

I don't think that game will be that close either.

I can't get any read on how the battle of the reflexive twins UK-KU will go. I'd say KU right now, but not very confidently.

Seth C

I really don't want to sound overconfident and have it backfire in my face, but...

I can't get any read on how the battle of the reflexive twins UK-KU will go. I'd say KU right now, but not very confidently.

MSU will give Duke a scare but it won't be close by the end of the game. Duke is the best team in the country right now.

Fjordson

I think Duke will comfortably beat MSU by 12-15. Some freshmen mistakes and Quinn Cook fuckery could keep it from being an even bigger margin, but that's about it.

Not really sure about our game versus KU. On paper and in the long run I think we have the better team with more depth. But this early in the season, after the shaky Buffalo performance and Cal still working out his rotations, I can see us losing.

There's a good chance I'll be completely wrong about both of these.

inm8num2

Michigan State has zero threats to score in the post. IIRC they had five entry passes total against Navy. Going back to last year, even with Payne they still relied way too much on outside shooting (8 points in the paint against UConn in the tourney loss).

Dawson can get some putbacks, but otherwise scoring in the paint probably will be the biggest weakness all year. Costello and Schilling are probably going to struggle big time on defense and rack up some fouls. On top of that, MSU's guards are going to be completely out-matched.

It's going to be ugly. I really don't see any way MSU keeps this within 16-18. Might get out of hand early.

Another year, another pre-conference blowout loss to a Duke/UNC for Izzo. :)

Y'all goofs are trying to jinx Okafor into breaking his foot, like that ain't happened to the Blue Devils before. I see your plan, I read your book. Well, the Cliff's Notes. OK, somebody texted me the basics of the synopsis, the point is cut it out.

Seth C

Y'all goofs are trying to jinx Okafor into breaking his foot, like that ain't happened to the Blue Devils before. I see your plan, I read your book. Well, the Cliff's Notes. OK, somebody texted me the basics of the synopsis, the point is cut it out.

We went to the NIT a season ago because our star came down and snapped his leg in two. Probably not our game.

Fjordson

:lol honestly not. Especially after the injury stuff UK had that Seth C mentioned. Genuinely think Duke will be damn good this year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
1430928.gif

lol Joel James side eye

Who the fuck he think he is, Luigi?

BTW UK fans, I wasn't complaining about you by comparing to Bama Gaf, more like you guys have the largest group of fans and will ultimately shape the discussion here. Thats all.

I'll cherish that Duke win damn it. :p

Everyone talks about the loss from last year but my soul's still burning from the 74-47 loss at LJ in 2009.

The sights of Martynas Pocius clanking a corner 3 off the side of the backboard and the entire team's inability to get the ball past half court in the second half of that game are nightmare fuel.

At least last year was half-way respectable.

Thank Tebow that we won the title in 2010 because that 2009 season with UNC winning the title in dominating fashion and the way Duke went out like punks to Villanova could have been the bells tolling for the Empire.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Everyone talks about the loss from last year but my soul's still burning from the 74-47 loss at LJ in 2009.

The sights of Martynas Pocius clanking a corner 3 off the side of the backboard and the entire team's inability to get the ball past half court in the second half of that game are nightmare fuel.

At least last year was half-way respectable.

Meh, Duke got revenge the following year, though the margin wasn't quite that bad. Singler was fired up that game.

bachikarn

Balls, figured we might have trouble with Miami since we were down Chris Walker and eventual key contributor Alex Murphy. Hurt a lot worse when it turned out DFS couldn't play. Despite that, we actually looked really good for 75% of the game, and then we started derping and Miami got really hot. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Balls, figured we might have trouble with Miami since we were down Chris Walker and eventual key contributor Alex Murphy. Hurt a lot worse when it turned out DFS couldn't play. Despite that, we actually looked really good for 75% of the game, and then we started derping and Miami got really hot. Oh well.

You might be in for a surprise...

Top Bottom