• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Fjordson

K is taking over. Gotta imagine Ingram follows Thornton to Duke. Cal is getting left in the dust surprisingly. I don't think UK's getting Newman or Ingram. Better hope they land Brown, but I think he's Adidas bound.
The only recruit UK will be adding is likely a 4-star Juco player from Canada...

And of course we have to play Duke in November.

Ingram is meeting with the Duke staff again today after they had already had an in-house visit on Friday.

its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

(He cancelled a visit with UCLA, met with UK on Friday, and has meetings scheduled with UNC and NCSU tomorrow as of this moment)

Bowser

Ingram is meeting with the Duke staff again today after they had already had an in-house visit on Friday.

[im]http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif[/img]

K specifically requested that second in-home because I think he knew he had to sell Ingram on the PG position after Jones left. Consider that question answered now.

Roy's been on Ingram the longest (first to offer him when he was ranked in the mid-40s...now he's #3, over Jaylen Brown, in ESPN's top 100) and Ingram did admit he would have committed to Carolina back in November had it not been for the NCAA cloud.

Hopefully that means something, but I'm not optimistic.

edit: this is Ingram's schedule Grover - NCSU was yesterday, UCLA was never scheduled:

April 17 - Duke (AM)
April 17 - UK (PM)
April 18 - Kansas
April 20 - NC State
April 21 - Duke
April 22 - UNC
April 27 - Announcement

Fjordson

its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

(He cancelled a visit with UCLA, met with UK on Friday, and has meetings scheduled with UNC and NCSU tomorrow as of this moment)
Damn, I forgot about Ingram. Holy shit. K's transformed into a beast.

Coach K after losing to Mercer with Jabari:

H9zTRR3.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
First, Laettner steps on Timberlake and now this. Pitino can't catch a break.

This is where we ignore the 2013 Elite 8 result.

I was totally going to Kevin Ware your post. Dammit. It was a WITTY RETORT!!!!

RUINED!!!!!!

Oh well, Duke is hopefully about to get a commit from a 4* QB in a bit so good day all around.

DominoKid

honestly Ingram should just go to Duke. he could keep riding that garbage ass scandal card him and his fam keep trying to play instead of having to throw Roy's coaching and recent record under the bus. even though there's nothing the NCAA could do to us that would affect his ability to go pro quickly if he's as good as he thinks he is.

that last visit is essentially a courtesy visit for him to let Roy know before everyone else.

Duke just landed Derryck Thornton.

But Coach K's power level is increasing. Not only did he get a top 20 player, he got him to reclassify to 2015. Unreal.

it's honestly not that special. he's just coming back to his natural class. smart move to go to the league faster.

It's crazy times when K could ride into bumass Kinston (and I mean that with all respect, Kinston fam, if you're outchea on GAF) and get a top player.

Huck not looking too good with the one and dones right now. JMM and Harrison Barnes have given him the rep as the "Will try to hold you back" coach. It ended up working out for Barnes, McAdoo on the other hand...

EDIT: I feel bad about taking a potshot at Kinston. Especially when I was born in Lumberton, which is the bummiest of the bummy NC towns.

LDOC was solid,even though Jeremih only played half his set and T-Pain mailed in his performance. All fun tho

Anywho, K's working right now. Visited Harry Giles the night after visiting Ingram

Jason Jordan ✔@JayJayUSATODAY
How did @TheReal_HG3 celebrate his birthday tonight? Hosting Coach K & Coach Capel for an in-home visit. "It was great!"

iamblades

Malik Newman denies reports, says he's still deciding

Thon Maker has narrowed his choices to UK and Indiana.

Kentucky fans can step off the ledge now.

UK has been the obvious choice for Maker all along, no school/coach has a better track record recently with players of his style. AD/Noel/WCS all point the direction for the hyper athletic 7 footers.

Though if he ends up picking IU over UK, that will fuck with UK fans more than almost anything imaginable..

I'm not terribly worried about next year either way, I'm confident in our point guard play and Skal, Poythress and Lee is still a decent front court. Plus the team should get up and down a little more instead of being so halfcourt focused, which might be fun to see.

Worst case scenario we don't get Maker and Skal gets Enes Kantered and we have a season like 2013 though.

We still gotta figure out a way to get some goddamned wings though. Why no legit SF prospects since MKG?

We get Maker, Skal plays, and we pick up a decent wing and we are right back where we need to be to win a title. Probably not 'hair away from undefeated' but you can't really ask for that every year.

Fjordson

The small forward thing is absolutely baffling.

If Skal plays and we get Jamal Murray after he reclassifies then I'll think we'll be decent. Still kinda annoying we missed on so many guys this class for whatever reason, but oh well.

DominoKid

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 54m 54 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Emmert on Syracuse case: Different from UNC because it was case of athletic dept officials contributing to cheating. "In NCAA's wheelhouse."

urrhHac.gif

Fjordson

That Thon Maker facebook account was fake. Not actually down to IU or UK. Since that would have meant UK might have gotten a third 5 star in this class and that ain't happening.

RRnhhqW.gif

Malik Newman officially to Mississippi State

Quote from his pa dukes

“From what I heard [Howland] has just as many players in the NBA as [Kentucky coach John Calipari] Cal does,” Webster told The Clarion-Ledger. “The fact that he went to three straight Final Fours, that in itself speaks volumes. Mississippi State wasn’t far off. I think if Coach [Rick] Ray would have been there another year they might have made it with the juniors and seniors they have.”

Ricky-Gervais-Facepalm-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

Cal really letting these bummy SEC squads stack up on his watch

Fjordson

Wow @ that quote. Did Calipari accept the OKC job or something? These recruits know something I don't.

Oh well. His dad went to Miss. State I think so I'll blame it on that.

edit: Miss. State wasn't far off...they were 13-19 last year..

Bowser

Man if UK doesn't land Brown, I'm going to be really interested to see how they do next year. If I had to guess, Ingram to Duke, Maker to ASU or Indiana, and Diallo to St. John's or KU. UK will still be a top 10 team easily, and probably top 5, with a squad of Ulis/Briscoe/Poythress/Lee/Skal with Matthews/Hawkins/Willis off the bench. Not deep, but plenty talented.

NC State fifth assistant coach Rob Moxley gets on the Twitter machine, sends subtweets to Brandon Ingram and takes shots at UNC and Duke

Rob moxley @Robmoxgopack
Nc state has the best fans in the USA. We will fill the PNC when we cut the nets down. Will not be 1/4 filled. Step up!! #real fans

(Shot at UNC's fans)

Rob moxley @Robmoxgopack
Our fans live in North Carolina!! Not nj and ny. Where do you want to live?? Everett case. Jimmy v. Mark Gottfried. Let's go Need believers

(Obvious shot at Duke being Jersey South)

Friends don't let friends tweet drunk

About 20 minutes from the Ingram announcement.

And just going to throw this rumor going around on Twitter out for the lols: Coach K was seen in Oklahoma City eating lunch with members of the Thunder organization.

Bowser

And just so it's on record, my gut says Ingram shocks us and goes to Carolina.

K wrapped him up. Coaches were notified over the weekend.

Jaylen Brown news:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 25m25 minutes ago
Jaylen Brown is down to five schools -- California, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan & North Carolina -- a source confirms to Scout.

Jaylen Brown has sliced his list of schools to California, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan and North Carolina, a source confirmed to Scout.

Georgia, Georgia Tech and UCLA were the three schools Brown eliminated from consideration. Separate sources told Scout that he started making those calls Sunday afternoon

The Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler standout took official visits to Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan and North Carolina. He visited California unofficially.

Although previous information was that Brown wouldn't do any more in-home visits, multiple sources told Scout that he met with Kentucky, Michigan and North Carolina this past week.

At this point, a decision date hasn't been set.

Fjordson

Jaylen Brown news:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 25m25 minutes ago
Jaylen Brown is down to five schools -- California, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan & North Carolina -- a source confirms to Scout.
Adidas kid, so really Michigan or Kansas.

Fjordson

What happened to when Calipari bought all the recruits we needed =[ crazy how many we've lost this class. Did Coach K steal his visa or something?

Proelite

What happened to when Calipari bought all the recruits we needed =[ crazy how many we've lost this class. Did Coach K steal his visa or something?

It's a weak class, Cal is probably sandbagging for next year.

Except we're getting like 3-4 of the top 10. :D

This one and done stuff is risky business. We can very well lose in the first round again next year.

On that, apparently not.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1m1 minute ago
Ingram's dad said that, in order to make sure word didn't get out, they didn't tell coaches the decision in advance. Will make calls tonight

Shot in the dark here, but I think they know.

(Yes, I know he can also thank them for their time and wish them well and all that.)

Roy and em gonna need the NCAA to close the book on this academic fraud investigation.

UNC is going to keep losing out on dudes until that whole thing is resolved.

EDIT: Yeah, we weren't even looking at this 2015 class until like two weeks ago. 2016 is supposed to be the super class with Tatum, Giles, and Battle.

Fjordson

Roy and em gonna need the NCAA to close the book on this academic fraud investigation.

UNC is going to keep losing out on dudes until that whole thing is resolved.

EDIT: Yeah, we weren't even looking at this 2015 class until like two weeks ago. 2016 is supposed to be the super class with Tatum, Giles, and Battle.
Oh yeah I forgot about Tatum. Duke will get him and Battle.

Top Bottom