• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Proelite

Sheed going to either Texas or SMU makes way too much sense for it happen.

More likely, he goes to Maryland.

then

Duke plays Maryland in the ACC/B1G Challenge

then

Turtles kick our behind and he balls out

then

College Park burns down

then

truly calls for K's resignation

(I say all this, but I think that ESPN will actually send Maryland to Chapel Hill and get that early top 5 match-up between old rivals. Duke will probably get Michigan State at Cameron or something)

Have to start off a good season by beating Michigan State, and then cap it off by beating Michigan State.

It'll be funnier if Maryland visits Cameron next year.

We should schedule Florida and SMU in the preseason.

That we can play against Gbinijie, Sheed, Semi, and Alex Murphy next season.

Looking back, it's funny how convinced I was that Alex Murphy and Rasheed Sulaimon was going to be the next Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith.

Bowser

Potential good news for fjord:

StraightHoops.com @HoopsMediaLLC · 3h 3 hours ago
I am hearing Jaylen Brown to #Kentucky. Again, not making the call yet, just passing along the info. #BBN #Michigan #Kansas #UNC

This account called Ingram to Duke last Saturday and Diallo to KU Monday evening.

Proelite

Potential good news for fjord:

This account called Ingram to Duke last Saturday and Diallo to KU Monday evening.

WOOOOOT!

Can't wait for the Ingram vs Brown show down.

Skal
Poythress
Brown
Brisco
Ulis

That's as good as a starting five as any in the nation next year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
WOOOOOT!

Can't wait for the Ingram vs Brown show down.

Skal
Poythress
Brown
Brisco
Ulis

That's as good as a starting five as any in the nation next year.

Our first 5 blows their doors off. Hell I'd put Michigan's second 5 up against that team.

Spike
Rahkman
Dawkins
Robinson
Donnal

Bowser

Our first 5 blows their doors off. Hell I'd put Michigan's second 5 up against that team.

Spike
Rahkman
Dawkins
Robinson
Donnal

JEwBFJd.gif

There's a reason Michigan is pegged as a fringe top 20 team and UK is listed top 3.

Silkworm

Whelp, end of an era in UF basketball. Billy Donovan today is officially the head coach of the Oklahoma Thunder. *sigh*

Hope Foley can find a good new coach for UF basketball to help continue all the good Billy did for UF basketball over the past 19 years and not let it sink back into mostly mediocrity.

Wonder who the new dean (i.e. longest tenured head coach) of SEC basketball is now? Is it Coach Stallings at Vanderbilt?

Whelp, end of an era in UF basketball. Billy Donovan today is officially the head coach of the Oklahoma Thunder. *sigh*

Hope Foley can find a good new coach for UF basketball to help continue all the good Billy did for UF basketball over the past 19 years and not let it sink back into mostly mediocrity.

Wonder who the new dean (i.e. longest tenured head coach) of SEC basketball is now? Is it Coach Stallings at Vanderbilt?

He was officially the coach of the Magic, too.

Wait for the ink to dry. ;)

Silkworm

He was officially the coach of the Magic, too.

Wait for the ink to dry. ;)

He's not going to pull the same thing twice if he has any real NBA aspirations :-D He's gone :-( Now the question is who will fill the gigantic shoes he's left. I hope Gator basketball can survive and thrive based off of what Billy has built at UF. :)

lush

Florida really didn't deserve him. Good move for him, he seems better suited to the NBA. I'll be interested to see what Foley does.

Weak fan support.

What are you going to do, Florida is a football state. But there is this

Florida is a national program in every measurable way -- success, recruiting, perception, even attendance. (More numbers worth noting: In 1996, the Gators averaged 6,400 people at their home games; since 2000, they've topped the 10,000-mark annually.)

From: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...hanged-face-florida-gators-basketball-program

To shift gears, and for something that grinds mine, from the same article:

He's not a scrapper. He's a guaranteed future hall of famer, Billy the Kid transitioned to Billy the Older and Wiser.

The basketball hall of fame is all kinds of ridiculous. It seems any college coach that can manage to stick around 20 or more years can get in -- while still coaching and doing who knows what that could eventually damage his or her reputation -- and a bunch of potentially worthy professionals (players and coaches) remain on the outside looking in.

The basketball hall of fame is all kinds of ridiculous. It seems any college coach that can manage to stick around 20 or more years can get in -- while still coaching and doing who knows what that could eventually damage his or her reputation -- and a bunch of potentially worthy professionals (players and coaches) remain on the outside looking in.

To be absolutely fair, Billy D's one of only like a dozen coaches with multiple chips and one of four with a repeat.

Wooden
Krzyzewski
Rupp
Donovan

That's it.

The rest of his resume's pretty average in terms of HOF credentials, but if championships are the ultimate metric, it's hard to deny him.

Silkworm

To be absolutely fair, Billy D's one of only like a dozen coaches with multiple chips and one of four with a repeat.

Wooden
Krzyzewski
Rupp
Donovan

That's it.

The rest of his resume's pretty average in terms of HOF credentials, but if championships are the ultimate metric, it's hard to deny him.

Well, there is

Donovan finishes his tenure at Florida with more wins at the helm of an SEC program (467) than anyone other than Adolph Rupp, while his 35 NCAA Tournament wins rank at the top of SEC coaches. His win total is more than twice that of any other coach in Florida history.

6 SEC Championships
4 SEC Tournament Championships
4 Final Fours
3 National Championship games appearances

Oh and Billy recently notched his 500th win as a basketball coach, joining Bob Knight as the only coaches to reach that milestone before their 50th birthday. If that's average for a HOF outside of a back-to-back national championships, I hope the next Florida coach ends up with a similar average HOF resume. ;-)

Plus as earlier mentioned he's only 50 years old. Had he stayed at UF for another 10-20 years, I'm sure his resume would be even more accomplished. But that won't happen now :-(

Fjordson

Brown gonna go to Michigan. Adidas enjoys stringing along the big Nike schools. Reminds me of the Wiggins recruitment.

This whole class is bunk. I'll be glad when it's over.

Brown gonna go to Michigan. Adidas enjoys stringing along the big Nike schools. Reminds me of the Wiggins recruitment.

This whole class is bunk. I'll be glad when it's over.

Wiggins is a different story, though. He went to Huntington Prep, which is a Nike school. That's why it was surprising he ended up at Kansas.

Bowser

Man. So kids will flip to Adidas but not to Nike...? Wat.

Adidas is offering kids gobs of cash to flip. I don't think Nike, given their dominant position, feels the need to do so. I mean, take a look at guys like Wiggins, Rose, and Lillard signing huge Adidas deals. Hell, even Harrison Barnes, who went to the flagship Nike/Jordan Brand school, signed with Adidas in the pros.

Fjordson

Adidas is offering kids gobs of cash to flip. I don't think Nike, given their dominant position, feels the need to do so. I mean, take a look at guys like Wiggins, Rose, and Lillard signing huge Adidas deals. Hell, even Harrison Barnes, who went to the flagship Nike/Jordan Brand school, signed with Adidas in the pros.
Frustrating.

I wonder how many kids have flipped to Nike for UK in the past few years. Has to be low. Kinda hope Calipari doesn't waste time on them in future classes.

Fjordson

Called it (sorta).

Can't believe Cal has as many incoming 5 star players as we do. Recruits must have heard Calipari is going to the Bulls or something.

Wow. Didn't see that one coming. Cuonzo did an ok job last year given the limitations of the roster (no frontline depth and some injury issues), but his recruiting has been unbelievable.

Silkworm

Wow. Didn't see that one coming. Cuonzo did an ok job last year given the limitations of the roster (no frontline depth and some injury issues), but his recruiting has been unbelievable.

Tennessee was so, so stupid for essentially running him off due to their impatience with him and their desire for Pearl to return. Bah. Glad Martin is doing well at Cal :)

DominoKid

welp guess we won't be seeing Brown at all this year.

Cal? Really???

i'm sure Kenny Williams is headed to UVA too. just awesome.

Fjordson

Wonder what's left before next season. Guessing Thon Maker to Arizona State, Jamal Murray to Oregon, Skal is ineligible and Calipari leaves for the NBA.

Did he really? Damn. I'd forgotten. I was sitting here nodding in agreement to vas's post :lol but I stand corrected.

I actually didn't even realize he was still playing in the NBA until I watched Bucks / Bulls the other day.
yeah, that SC team had a sophomore Taj Gibson iirc, and did alright in maybe the best season the Pac's had top to bottom in the past 10 years

I wanna say either Bill Simmons or Zach Lowe pegged him to be an all-star, and remember he was getting like 17/18 ppg his first couple seasons in Memphis, I think his pro career floundering had more to do with conditioning and just generally shitty teams more than anything

e: wrt Brown, Cal is going to be preseason top 15 and will prob finish 1st or 2nd in the Pac, he'll be fine

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So OT here but who here is on PSN? I have the same ID, truly101.

I've also postponed Coach K's retirement arrangements at Shady Pines for 3 years. I'm having them add a garden.

Duke just gave a full scholly to Justin Robinson (son of the Admiral, previously thought to just be a preferred walkon), but I'm pretty sure there's still a spot left if Swanigan wants to come join the Winning Team.

Duke just gave a full scholly to Justin Robinson (son of the Admiral, previously thought to just be a preferred walkon), but I'm pretty sure there's still a spot left if Swanigan wants to come join the Winning Team.

On Robinson

In a bit of good and intriguing news, the 6-8 Robinson is said to still be growing. You may recall that his father was 6-7 when he signed with Navy and quickly grew to 7-1.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...om-preferred-walk-on-to-scholarship-recipient, links to http://news4sanantonio.com/m/news/f...es-Duke-scholarship-127122.shtml#.VUvNYnJOW9K

Top Bottom