• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its not a huge position of need for UNC, but its gotta sting a bit that Duke could get the recruitment from an Eastern NC kid that Roy had been on for years.
UNC needs to get their shit together as far as the scandal goes. Go for the title this year and whatever happens it might be time to pay up. After all, its just Luke Maye walking through that door.

Carolina-GAF doesn't want to see the tweets on Duke beat writer Laura Keeley's timeline that says Ingram would have committed to Carolina a long time ago if not for the lingering scandal. This, despite Ingram also saying he grew up a Duke fan. Seems he truly was Roy's to lose.

Edit: Speaking of truly, I think this late recruiting season buys K 3 or 4 more games before somebody asks him to retire. Early January might still be in play!

Carolina-GAF doesn't want to see the tweets on Duke beat writer Laura Keeley's timeline that says Ingram would have committed to Carolina a long time ago if not for the lingering scandal. This, despite Ingram also saying he grew up a Duke fan. Seems he truly was Roy's to lose.

Edit: Speaking of truly, I think this late recruiting season buys K 3 or 4 more games before somebody asks him to retire. Early January might still be in play!

Or this,

Ben Swain ‏@TheBenSwain 2h2 hours ago Durham, NC
So that’s two in-state guys in 2 weeks, 4-star QB and 5-star SF, who have picked Duke that cited the UNC NCAA uncertainty… The story, IMO…

For truly, nah I'm still banking on ACC/B1G challenge

DominoKid

that's not new news. his dad came out and said that last fall.

honestly idgaf at this point. if the scandal scares them that bad go somewhere else.
if he's as good as he thinks the scandal will have less impact on his pro prospects than playing for Roy would tbh.

if the scandal scares them that bad go somewhere else.
if he's as good as he thinks the scandal will have less impact on his pro prospects than playing for Roy would tbh.

I don't think they're scared the scandal will impact them professionally, I just think the kids want to play in the NCAA tournament and they don't know for sure if they can at Carolina. They don't want the NCAA to drop the hammer or be a Syracuse situation where the school decides to self-sanction in the middle of their one year in college.

Things that will happen before the NCAA takes away the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's mens basketball program (yeah, I dropped the full name there)

1) K actually does go coach the Thunder
2) The NCAA starts paying players salaries
3) Kids in College Park stop rioting after wins
4) Tony Bennett coaches exciting basketball
5) Bo Ryan recruits a one and done

Things that will happen before the NCAA takes away the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's mens basketball program (yeah, I dropped the full name there)

1) K actually does go coach the Thunder
2) The NCAA starts paying players salaries
3) Kids in College Park stop rioting after wins
4) Tony Bennett coaches exciting basketball
5) Bo Ryan recruits a one and done

6) Clemson wins a game in Chapel Hill

Calipari just offered a 3 star NC State committ. Never seen him scramble like this.

Say what you will about 3 stars (Duke's first commitment after the title was a 3 star center), but going after players bad enough to play for NC State, that's just a sad state of affairs in Lexington.

(This is where we ignore that NC State beat Duke this year.)

Fjordson

Say what you will about 3 stars (Duke's first commitment after the title was a 3 star center), but going after players bad enough to play for NC State, that's just a sad state of affairs in Lexington.

(This is where we ignore that NC State beat Duke this year.)
We offered after he had committed to NC State too...basically trying to poach guys.

Yahoo Sports post-draft declaration preseason rankings: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...-at-next-season-s-top-20-teams-132044458.html

1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Kentucky
4. Iowa State
5. Kansas

NBC Sports: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...-basketball-way-too-early-preseason-rankings/

1. UNC
2. Iowa State
3. Maryland
4. Kentucky
5. Kansas

Seems to be a top 5 consensus building.
Kentucky gon' drop fast.

Bowser

Seton Hall SG Sterling Gibbs is transferring and eligible immediately. Averaged 16.3ppg and 43.6% from 3 last season. Could be a major pickup for someone.

Andy Katz is saying on the Twitter that schools are looking at Rasheed Sulaimon for a potential transfer. Maryland is on the list.

He's overloading on classes to try and graduate from Duke by August.

Y'all didn't hear that from me though

Seton Hall SG Sterling Gibbs is transferring and eligible immediately. Averaged 16.3ppg and 43.6% from 3 last season. Could be a major pickup for someone.

Wow

Bowser

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 3m3 minutes ago
Cheick Diallo has committed to Kansas, per his HS coach Eric Jaklitsch.

Another UK recruit bites the dust.

Duke Athletics ‏@Duke_ATHLETICS

Cameron Indoor...under construction.

CDtEodlUIAALA13.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Andy Katz is saying on the Twitter that schools are looking at Rasheed Sulaimon for a potential transfer. Maryland is on the list.

After Dez Wells, this may be a trend for them.

He's overloading on classes to try and graduate from Duke by August.

Y'all didn't hear that from me though

I thought it came out that his original plan was to graduate in 3 years and try the draft.. Texas makes a lot more sense than UMD, but whatever. I guess this sort of retroactively vets K's decision to keep him on the team post the sexual assault allegations. No team is going to touch Sulaimon if that issue has some real substance on it.

What UK's deal with Cal's current slump tho? Poaching NC State guys? Kirk should stay, he'll be recruited over in a year anyway.

Bowser

Proelite

If Jamal Murray commits to Kentucky, they could go from the tallest team in the nation to one of their shortest starting lineups in recent history.

Skal 7' 215+ lb
Alex Pythress 6'8 240lb
Isiash Briscoe 6'4 220 lb
Jamal Murray 6'5 190 lb
Tyler Ulis 5'10 170 lb.

Bench
Marcus Lee 6'9 220lb
Mychal Mulder 6'4 190lb
+Bench Warmers

They'll start 3 pg, with the heaviest, Briscoe, at SF. Teams will have a fit trying to guard them.

Height is overrated imo. Give me a lineup with 3 guards and a heavy SF at 4 any day.

Proelite

I believe the most 3 championship teams, Louisville, Uconn, and Duke all started 3 guards, 2 pgs, and a SF at the 4.

Louisville 2013 lineup
6'10
6'6
6'5
6'0
6'0

Uconn 2014 lineup
6'10
6'9
6'6
6'1
6'0

Duke 2015 lineup
6'11
6'7
6'5
6'2
6'1

2 PGs backcourt should be all the rage in college basketball.

Fjordson

I think we'll have some pretty nice multi-guard lineups. Especially with Briscoe out there, been really impressed by him. But we have like no depth, especially in the frontcourt. Could be a rough year.

Proelite

How tall is Mychal Mulder? I've been reading 6'4 185 lbs but site keep listing him as a swingman. His school website list him as a foward.

Fjordson

How tall is Mychal Mulder? I've been reading 6'4 185 lbs but site keep listing him as a swingman. His school website list him as a foward.
Yeah I think he's 6-4. That's what I've seen.

Not sure what he'll do next year, but he's got two years to play so he could provide some okay depth in 2016-17.

Silkworm

Hey Florida-GAF, what can I expect as a Thunder fan?

You can expect a damn fine college basketball coach. As an NBA coach? Yet to be determined.

Billy's offense likes to run a lot of ball screens so it takes some time to learn on the college level. Also he needs a floor general, a point guard who can distribute and get other players involved. If you don't have a good, dependable point guard (see Wilbekin) then you get what the Gators had this past season with Chiozza and Hill. Also his offense on the college level needs a good center to kick it down low to draw the defense in and have open shooters at the perimeter which the Gators also lacked this past season so that teams can't simply zone the Gators out (which normally the Gators can shoot the defense out of but again this past season's team lack perimeter shooters). Billy's college basketball teams are team orientated, one player may go off one night but then the next night someone else will go off. There are typically no ball hogs on Billy's teams.

Anyway, Billy is a very good coach and can adapt if needed. We shall see if he does become the OKC coach how this will all pan out. I hate to lose him as a Gator fan, but hope he does well if he does go to the NBA. I'd hate to see him fizzle out in NBA and then come back and coach Kentucky to multiple national titles *shudder* If he does go to the NBA but returns to college basketball hopefully he'd help replace Pitino at Louisville and be a thorn in UK's side for many, many years. ;-)

KingGondo

Banned
You can expect a damn fine college basketball coach. As an NBA coach? Yet to be determined.

Billy's offense likes to run a lot of ball screens so it takes some time to learn on the college level. Also he needs a floor general, a point guard who can distribute and get other players involved. If you don't have a good, dependable point guard (see Wilbekin) then you get what the Gators had this past season with Chiozza and Hill. Also his offense on the college level needs a good center to kick it down low to draw the defense in and have open shooters at the perimeter which the Gators also lacked this past season so that teams can't simply zone the Gators out (which normally the Gators can shoot the defense out of but again this past season's team lack perimeter shooters). Billy's college basketball teams are team orientated, one player may go off one night but then the next night someone else will go off. There are typically no ball hogs on Billy's teams.

Anyway, Billy is a very good coach and can adapt if needed. We shall see if he does become the OKC coach how this will all pan out. I hate to lose him as a Gator fan, but hope he does well if he does go to the NBA. I'd hate to see him fizzle out in NBA and then come back and coach Kentucky to multiple national titles *shudder* If he does go to the NBA but returns to college basketball hopefully he'd help replace Pitino at Louisville and be a thorn in UK's side for many, many years. ;-)
Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail.

Fjordson

Have they said yet why he actually got kicked off? Really surprised it's still a secret.

edit: that NC State kid signed with NC State. Even 3 star recruits not interested in Kentucky.

Proelite

What happened to Cal's recruiting this year?

Nothing. He has the #2 incoming class.

Sometimes departures can place you in a bind. Without the reclassification of Thornton and the commitment from Ingram, Duke would have had 8 scholarship players, 3 of which are not backcourt players, and 1 potential red shirt center.

Sheed going to either Texas or SMU makes way too much sense for it happen.

More likely, he goes to Maryland.

then

Duke plays Maryland in the ACC/B1G Challenge

then

Turtles kick our behind and he balls out

then

College Park burns down

then

truly calls for K's resignation

(I say all this, but I think that ESPN will actually send Maryland to Chapel Hill and get that early top 5 match-up between old rivals. Duke will probably get Michigan State at Cameron or something)

Top Bottom