• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they aren't. College basketball ft percentage has been slowly rising and peaked this year at an all time high. People think guys are terrible at fts because they only remember the misses. Players are better shooters now than ever before.
That's awesome, I hadn't seen the statistics. Definitely feels the opposite because, as you said, people remember the misses (and especially high-profile screw ups like Memphis famously declaring they didn't need FTs and then losing to Kansas because of it).

Meh, the committee did a poor job of seeding this year. Case in point, every 9 seed was favored over the 8 seed by Vegas. Wichita St was actually favored by Vegas by 2.5 over Miami and was in the Kenpom top 10 at the time of the game.

And part of the reason the ACC gets to play these lower seeds is because teams like MSU, WVU, and Baylor couldn't beat them...
Wichita was much better than an #11, but Miami did get to play them when it was their 3rd game in 5 days.

In general the first couple rounds are a crapshoot though. It's single elimination, it's to be expected.

(that said, i'm fine if we want to say the B1G sucks this year, since it suits my personal interests. B^))

jayhawker

That's awesome, I hadn't seen the statistics. Definitely feels the opposite because, as you said, people remember the misses (and especially high-profile screw ups like Memphis famously declaring they didn't need FTs and then losing to Kansas because of it).

This is from Ken Pomeroy a few weeks ago. I haven't seen him update anything, although he may have said something on twitter.

Random tidbit: I’ve been tracking the nation’s chase for the all-time free throw percentage record and it’s looking very likely that the pursuit will be successful. After a stellar Thursday in which the nation made a collective 73.0% of their shots, the season’s percentage is up to 69.81%. Way to go, nation! The record, set two seasons ago, is 69.87%. Teams tend to improve their shooting as the season progresses although that trend levels off as we get to March. But for the first time since basketball was a gleam in James Naismith’s eye, it’s possible college basketball teams will crack 70% at the line.

To be fair, I'm not sure if guards are shooting better or if the difference is all bigs shooting better. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the difference was in bigs working on their shot more than their back-to-the-basket game. But the amount of threes taken keeps going up, too, and the rate of them being made isn't dipping despite the higher amount taken, so it's likely that guards are shooting better generally. I'm just not sure how much that correlates with free throws.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Refs getting back in this. Terrible call.

I mean, he pushed the SFA guy down as he was going up for the tip... if the other one is a foul...

Well, Notre Dame ain't winning shit, I guess it's ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom