• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can already tell Providence ain't got the juice for this

Carolina has all broken jumpshots so they might able to keep it kinda close, but they aren't going to pull out a win

Wasn't that more true when the football playing schools were there? Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, etc? I feel like the Catholic 7 schools generally don't threaten as much outside of Nova and Georgetown historically. Much of the heavy lifting at least in the 2000s seemed to have been those football programs that later left.

That's not to say the current Big East isn't a great conference or anything. I just don't see the "Final 4 contenders every year" thing.
I mean I agree with you but X, SH, and Nova should be good enough to have a chance for a few years.

thefro

Just wondering if anyone knows if Kansas residents watch Kansas City sports teams, ie the Chiefs and the Royals??

They absolutely do in the eastern part of the state. I have a bunch of relatives there and they are big Royals fans.

You might get some Broncos fans in western Kansas I'd guess.

so

much

dancing
Well, why do you think they call it the Big Dance?

NH9gE7v.gif

No self-respecting NC State fan would give Carolina credit for anything.

Did you mean Nevada Wolf Pack?

LOL, I know, right? It is just that FTs are such a lost art. I actually liked Herb because he stressed them so much. My excuse for giving UNC props is it's late at night and my wife is a grad. Even so, time for some atonement I think!

I do like how the ACC is just wins against Steven F Austin and Middle Tennessee away from getting everybody through to the Sweet 16 tho

Has one conference ever had 6 teams in the S16 before?

I do like how the ACC is just wins against Steven F Austin and Middle Tennessee away from getting everybody through to the Sweet 16 tho

Has one conference ever had 6 teams in the S16 before?

Most ever is 5 -- 2009 by Big East (most of those teams are in the ACC now*), and 2015 by the ACC.

*I think, will confirm

Edit: Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse, all now in ACC.
UConn, in the AAC split
Villanova, in the new Big East

oh man i cant wait to see how next weekend plays out. We mre gonna roll on Indiana.

I like your confidence, I hope Vegas feels the same way.

Made $400 on the IU moneyline today.

Keep it up! Get the public to bet UNC all week! I'll be there in the end, betting IU on the moneyline

Funny how a low-seeded Gonzaga is more dangerous than a high-seeded Gonzaga.

They didn't play as many good teams as they did last year and had a couple of surprising losses, but this is essentially the same elite 8 team without Pangos, who was their third best player anyway.

EDIT: Every time I see Domantas Sabonis play I'm more convinced he'd have been the one missing big man K hasn't really had since Josh McRoberts. He's had NBA big men since, but none of them fit his system well.

Funny how a low-seeded Gonzaga is more dangerous than a high-seeded Gonzaga.

2 years ago when we were a 1 seed was dumb luck more than anything. Olynyk having the year he did came out of no where because he barely played his first year and redshirted his 2nd. I knew we weren't going to go very far. Last year's team was legit. Our 5ish best players besides Sabonis were all Juniors or Seniors. We were right to be a 2 seed and lost to 1 seed Duke in the Elite 8 who ended up winning the whole tournament.

I didn't have real high expectations for this year but I didn't think we would bottom out as hard as we did. I thought at best we were probably a 6 seed but didn't think we'd have to win our conference tournament just to make it here.

They didn't play as many good teams as they did last year and had a couple of surprising losses, but this is essentially the same elite 8 team without Pangos, who was their third best player anyway.

EDIT: Every time I see Domantas Sabonis play I'm more convinced he'd have been the one missing big man K hasn't really had since Josh McRoberts. He's had NBA big men since, but none of them fit his system well.

We lost Harris who started the last 4 years with Pangos to graduation and Karnowski who was our starting center last year and this year to injury.

I will say that I am, in fact, the KOD.

I flipped over to the UNC/Friars game literally as Providence made a basket to make it 41-41. and it was all downhill from there. I only watched for a few seconds, in which time Carolina went out to 47-41 and never looked back.

0Y3XaC0.png

Everything after the highlighted point and play is all my fault. Sorry, Friar-nation.

2 years ago when we were a 1 seed was dumb luck more than anything. Olynyk having the year he did came out of no where because he barely played his first year and redshirted his 2nd. I knew we weren't going to go very far. Last year's team was legit. Our 5ish best players besides Sabonis were all Juniors or Seniors. We were right to be a 2 seed and lost to 1 seed Duke in the Elite 8 who ended up winning the whole tournament.

We lost Harris who started the last 4 years with Pangos to graduation and Karnowski who was our starting center last year and this year to injury.

Ah yeah forgot about him.

Either way, seems to me you've got two legit NBA players in Wiltjer and Sabonis--who I think should be late lottery--this season, which was not the case last year.

thefro

Additionally. those 2 teams we'd be counting on (I'm lumping you in with us ACC homers) are Notre Dame and Syracuse.

So basically 4 in the Sweet 16 isn't bad.

They've benefited from a lot of upsets.

Miami had to beat a #14 and #11 seed
Duke beat a #13 and a #12
Syracuse beat a #7 and has to play a #15
Notre Dame beat a #11 team and gets to play a #14

Even the #1s both got the #9 seed instead of the #8 seed

Bowser

They've benefited from a lot of upsets.

Miami had to beat a #14 and #11 seed
Duke beat a #13 and a #12
Syracuse beat a #7 and has to play a #15
Notre Dame beat a #11 team and gets to play a #14

Even the #1s both got the #9 seed instead of the #8 seed

Meh, the committee did a poor job of seeding this year. Case in point, every 9 seed was favored over the 8 seed by Vegas. Wichita St was actually favored by Vegas by 2.5 over Miami and was in the Kenpom top 10 at the time of the game.

And part of the reason the ACC gets to play these lower seeds is because teams like MSU, WVU, and Baylor couldn't beat them...

jayhawker

LOL, I know, right? It is just that FTs are such a lost art. I actually liked Herb because he stressed them so much. My excuse for giving UNC props is it's late at night and my wife is a grad. Even so, time for some atonement I think!

No they aren't. College basketball ft percentage has been slowly rising and peaked this year at an all time high. People think guys are terrible at fts because they only remember the misses. Players are better shooters now than ever before.

wbsmcs

Today's games seem a little more meh compared to yesterday.

Mainly interested in SFA and Hawaii today. Possibly the Oregon game tonight if I'm not too tired.

Mathematically still alive in my pool! I just need Iowa St. over Oklahoma in the finals.

Servbot24

Banned
Iowa getting fucked up. Glad I stopped being invested in this team a month ago.

To be clear I'm always rooting for them, but at a certain point you expect this and it doesn't really phase you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom