• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

So Florida wins this game or is it a no contest?

They said they were calling the NCAA. My guess it would be No Contest.

The better question is why on earth do you play this game outside in Florida at night? It's freaking humid down here. Even in winter. I understand the pagentry, but have it during the day or something, or just have it in Jacksonville, but INSIDE an actual arena, and invite a bunch of Sailors and Marines to watch the game. Sure, it's not as cool as an aircraft carrier, but you'll sell more tickets and actually be able to play a whole game of basketball.

I missed the first half and I tuned in to watch the second half. Then they called the game, so I didn't see anything. Salty Gator fan is salty.

iamblades

I never thought rebounding would be one of this team's problems.

Granted there were about 80 billion uncalled over the back fouls, but everyone was going up for rebounds with one hand and tipping it around like they're playing goddamn volleyball.

Should be easily fixable with a bout of week of intense rebounding drills and some motivation though.

Was mostly impressed with how under control the team played. Not very effecient or effective most of the time, but not as much total sloppiness as I expected.

Duke did not look very good tonight. First game, yeah, but they just don't have the look of a team that is going to scare anybody or compete for championships. They really don't have any position where it's "that guy is a boss." The closest is Mason Plumlee; when he's on his game, he's actually pretty darn good. Problem is he'll be unstoppable for a game and then disappear for 5. Not sure I want to get all invested in them this year.

Proelite

Duke did not look very good tonight. First game, yeah, but they just don't have the look of a team that is going to scare anybody or compete for championships. They really don't have any position where it's "that guy is a boss." The closest is Mason Plumlee; when he's on his game, he's actually pretty darn good. Problem is he'll be unstoppable for a game and then disappear for 5. Not sure I want to get all invested in them this year.

Calm the fuck down.

We'll roll Kentucky next week. You'll see.

Duke fans melts down at the end of a season, not at the start.

I'm perfectly calm, dude.

Calmer than you are.

But seriously, I get it. Duke is Duke. They may get some impressive victories, particularly early on, they usually do. But I don't have a strong feeling about this team, that's all.

mbmonk

Kentucky post game interviews are up on Coach Cal's website. The first video has player interviews. I just can't help to feel happy for Polson.

The second video is Coach Cal. His breakdown is pretty much on point as most would imagine. I loved his comment on the zone offense. When I saw Maryland come out in zone I was concerned we didn't have an offense installed for it.

Kentucky was extremely lucky to win. I can't remember seeing a team shoot as bad as the Terps did in the first half. It was honestly a bit surreal.

Edit I forgot to put the link to the vids:
http://www.coachcal.com/18285/2012/11/post-maryland-video-interviews/

thefro

Indiana showed some flashes of *really* good play. Yogi played really well but there were some TOs with everyone else trying to show they can do more off the dribble than last year (and working in Hollowell & Creek back). 17 is way too many even at the tempo we're trying to play at.

Still need to work on rebounding as well, but that'll be better with Perea/Jurkin/Elston all back by the B1G season.

mbmonk

Three more quick observations of the UK game.

1) In the crunch Cal went to Mays.

2) Harrow didn't play in the last 5 minutes of a very close game despite only having 2 fouls. Cal went with Polson instead. I don't want to read to much into it to early, but that is very interesting.

3) Maryland had a great play drawn up for the last play of the game. The screener at half court was open after setting a knockdown screen, but the ball handler forced the shot instead of hitting the open shooter. The spacing might have been a bit off, but in general it would have produced an open three for a good shooter.

Pollux

To add to what mbmonk said...the best part of last night = I won't have to listen to 24,000 drunk UK fans scream "SHOOOOOOT" every time Polson touches the ball from now on.

McNei1y

Kentucky was extremely lucky to win. I can't remember seeing a team shoot as bad as the Terps did in the first half. It was honestly a bit surreal.

Yeah. It was UGLY. They came out strong in the second half but that first half was just horrible. It could've been a different story if they had just shot 5-10% better lol. 0-11 for three at half and around 7-30 FG% at half. smh

3) Maryland had a great play drawn up for the last play of the game. The screener at half court was open after setting a knockdown screen, but the ball handler forced the shot instead of hitting the open shooter. The spacing might have been a bit off, but in general it would have produced an open three for a good shooter.

Yeah, Maryland had Layman and Allen open on the side but Pe'Shon didn't have a clear passing lane to get them the ball. Aw well, never felt so good about a team after a loss like that. I doubt we'll shoot as bad as that in any game this season. I have high hopes for this team this year.

W1SSY

Indiana showed some flashes of *really* good play. Yogi played really well but there were some TOs with everyone else trying to show they can do more off the dribble than last year (and working in Hollowell & Creek back). 17 is way too many even at the tempo we're trying to play at.

Still need to work on rebounding as well, but that'll be better with Perea/Jurkin/Elston all back by the B1G season.

Yogi looked amazing in my opinion. Hollowell in the time he got on the court seemed like he was really trying to force it and make some plays. Just from watching the game I honestly feel like we have so many guys that can score.

The biggest problem for Indiana will be the same problem from last year and that is playing defense. It just seemed like on a lot of plays someone would lose track of who they were supposed to guard. Hopefully this is something that is improved as the year goes on. I am also a little worried about the lack of size. Watford can play the 5 if he needs to but after him all you really have is Jeff Howard. It seems like for the first nine games we have to rely on Zeller not getting in foul trouble and for the most part he was solid last year.

UCF went in last night and partially took over USF's home opener in their newly renovated Sun Dome and blew them out with complete domination. Feels good.

devilhawk

So it's not limited to doing to UK games. Jimmy Dykes just sucks all the time.

SDSU looks really sloppy and flustered in the sun.

Owensboro

2) Harrow didn't play in the last 5 minutes of a very close game despite only having 2 fouls. Cal went with Polson instead. I don't want to read to much into it to early, but that is very interesting.

Wasn't Harrow still sick from the Flu? I just assumed that game is a wash when it comes to evaluating him. He didn't practice with the team almost the entire week leading up to that game.

Also, unless someone figures out what a defensive rebound is Duke is going to kill us :(

mbmonk

Wasn't Harrow still sick from the Flu? I just assumed that game is a wash when it comes to evaluating him. He didn't practice with the team almost the entire week leading up to that game.

Also, unless someone figures out what a defensive rebound is Duke is going to kill us :(

Yea. Harrow was sick most of the week. That is why I don't want to read to much into it. But Harrow did start the game and played in both halves. So he was physically able to play. But you are right Cal could have sat Harrow for a couple of different reasons.

We do need to rebound better, but the positive on that specific front is Duke plays 3 guards and 2 forwards. They probably won't physically pound the boards as well as Maryland. Of course Duke will shoot much better than Maryland so there is an offset there.

I watched the vast majority of Georgia State vs Duke game. Georgia State ran zone exclusively against Duke. Which Kentucky probably will not do. I thought Duke's defensive rotations seemed fairly solid.

I think Cal probably will run plenty of PnR with Harrow and Goodwin, but also run some more traditional dribble drive/ iso's for Goodwin as he did in Maryland. I think Duke is going to have a problem guarding Goodwin to the basket one and one, but that is where their team defense is really going to be valuable.

If you just look at the starting fives I think the Poythress vs Saluimon matchup is going to be interesting. I can't wait for Tuesday night!

Top Bottom