• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

impirius

The bad news: South Carolina was down by 17 to Milwaukee at one point and went 0-11 from three-point range.

The good news: The Gamecocks hung around until the threes stopped falling for Milwaukee and came away with a victory that would not have happened last year.

This will be a very interesting team to watch as the offense gets some more experience playing together and Bruce Ellington comes in to compete for the PG job. SEC play will probably be ugly for a couple of years until Martin gets some full recruiting classes in. The fact that South Carolina has enough warm bodies to fill the bench this season is already a testament to Martin.

I think Duke is going to have a problem guarding Goodwin to the basket one and one, but that is where their team defense is really going to be valuable.

Goodwin is just the type of guard that gave Duke's defense fits last year. Our point guards just struggled to stay in front of guys.

I do feel better about Duke's chances going into this game than I did before watching Kentucky play Maryland. I think they're more talented but because of our experience (and Kentucky's lack of), we're much closer to our peak potential now than Kentucky is to theirs.

Larry Browns team beat Loyola Marymount today. I feel he's one of those coaches that believes once he leaves coaching, he's going to die soon after. Can't blame him for wanting to live longer.

Larry Browns team beat Loyola Marymount today. I feel he's one of those coaches that believes once he leaves coaching, he's going to die soon after. Can't blame him for wanting to live longer.

Well, SMU threw him enough money to care I guess. The plan is for him to stay this season and next at most to give SMU a pulse again then hand it off to one of the young assistants to continue on as they now will have to compete in the BE.

Pretty good strategy in this case given his age and the fact he accepted the job with that arrangement in mind. So it shouldn't be an ugly transition at all when it comes.

thefro

Fresh new polls!

Librul media poll
Rank Team Record Points First Place Votes Previous Rank
1 Indiana 1-0 1598 46 1
2 Louisville 1-0 1572 18 2
3 Kentucky 1-0 1438 1 3
4 Ohio St. 1-0 1339 0 4
5 Michigan 1-0 1327 0 5
6 N.C. State 1-0 1278 0 6
7 Kansas 1-0 1222 0 7
8 Syracuse 1-0 1163 0 9
9 Duke 1-0 1109 0 8
10 Florida 1-0 1007 0 10
11 North Carolina 2-0 944 0 11
12 Arizona 1-0 882 0 12
13 UCLA 1-0 746 0 13
14 Missouri 1-0 716 0 15
15 Creighton 1-0 678 0 16
16 Baylor 2-0 578 0 19
17 Memphis 0-0 570 0 17
18 UNLV 0-0 538 0 18
19 Gonzaga 1-0 437 0 21
20 Notre Dame 1-0 343 0 22
21 Michigan St. 0-1 325 0 14
22 Wisconsin 1-0 324 0 23
23 Connecticut 1-0 262 0 NR
24 Cincinnati 1-0 152 0 24
25 San Diego St. 0-1 128 0 20

Dropped Out:
No. 25 Florida St.

Others Receiving Votes:
VCU 75, Murray St. 64, Minnesota 58, Pittsburgh 36, Saint Louis 32, St. Joseph's 30, Butler 22, Texas 20, Marquette 18, Tennessee 18, Kansas St. 12, Miami (FL) 9, St. Mary's 8, New Mexico 7, West Virginia 7, Florida St. 7, Ohio 6, Alabama 5, Stanford 4, Northern Iowa 4, Davidson 4, Georgetown 1, Maryland 1

Gannett McPaper/Lucasfilm sister company SID poll
Rank Team Record Points First Place Votes Previous Rank
1 Indiana 1-0 768 25 1
2 Louisville 1-0 740 4 2
3 Kentucky 1-0 701 2 3
4 Ohio St. 1-0 648 0 4
5 Michigan 1-0 638 0 5
6 N.C. State 1-0 601 0 6
7 Kansas 1-0 583 0 7
8 Syracuse 1-0 522 0 9
9 Duke 1-0 515 0 8
10 Florida 1-0 465 0 10
11 North Carolina 2-0 447 0 12
12 Arizona 1-0 426 0 11
13 Creighton 1-0 360 0 15
14 UCLA 1-0 351 0 13
15 Missouri 1-0 319 0 17
16 Memphis 0-0 310 0 16
17 Baylor 2-0 270 0 18
18 UNLV 0-0 241 0 19
19 Gonzaga 1-0 221 0 22
20 Wisconsin 1-0 212 0 21
21 Notre Dame 1-0 143 0 23
22 Michigan St. 0-1 135 0 14
23 San Diego St. 0-1 66 0 20
24 Cincinnati 1-0 63 0 NR
25 Texas 1-0 60 0 24
Schools Dropped Out
No. 24 (Tie) Florida State (0-1).
Others Receiving Votes
Connecticut 58; Virginia Commonwealth 54; Murray State 34; Kansas State 19; Pittsburgh 15; Saint Marys 13; Marquette 11; New Mexico 11; Saint Louis 8; Tennessee 8; Minnesota 7; Santa Clara 6; Colorado State 4; Florida State 3; Iowa State 3; Stanford 3; Bucknell 2; Colorado 2; Georgia 2; Maryland 2; Saint Josephs 2; Middle Tennessee 1; Ohio 1; South Alabama 1

mbmonk

Goodwin is just the type of guard that gave Duke's defense fits last year. Our point guards just struggled to stay in front of guys.

I do feel better about Duke's chances going into this game than I did before watching Kentucky play Maryland. I think they're more talented but because of our experience (and lack of), we're much closer to our peak potential now than Kentucky is to theirs.

I feel similar to you on this front.

I think Goodwin may be able to get to the basket against Duke, but can he make the right decision once the defense rotates over? With experience he will be able to make the right decision, but Tuesday might be a bit early for that to happen. Goodwin seems a bit out of control when going to the basket. If Duke can contest w/o fouling then I think they will be able to limit Goodwin's damage.

I will say that Goodwin has improved his decision making in the PnR from the very first exhibition game against Northwood's. I saw him go to his third read and find the open shooter in the Maryland game. So he is improving :).

There is a solid chance the Harrow will
harrow-could-miss-duke-game-mays-questionable
( still sick and didn't practice this weekend ). If that does happen that will hurt Kentucky's chances obviously. Mays is questionable with a swollen eye, not to mention he is still nursing a knee injury.

mbmonk

I do feel better about Duke's chances going into this game than I did before watching Kentucky play Maryland. I think they're more talented but because of our experience (and lack of), we're much closer to our peak potential now than Kentucky is to theirs.

I think Goodwin may be able to get to the basket against Duke, but can he make the right decision once the defense rotates over? With experience he will be able to make the right decision, but Tuesday might be a bit early for that to happen. Goodwin seems a bit out of control when attacking the basket. If Duke can contest w/o fouling then I think they will be able to limit Goodwin's damage. EDIT: How could I forget Duke can just draw fouls using the Duke flop... I mean take charges.. :p

I will say that Goodwin has improved his decision making in the PnR from the very first exhibition game against Northwoods. I saw him go to his third read and find the open shooter in the Maryland game. So he is improving :).

There is a solid chance the Harrow will sit out tomorrow nights game ( still sick and didn't practice this weekend ).

jayhawker

Joel Embiid is supposed to announce sometime this week between Kansas, Florida, and Texas.

I don't normally care all that much about recruiting, but KU doesn't have a 7 footer for next year and I really like this kid. We'd probably get 3 really good years out of him. I don't know if KD's legacy is giving Rick Barnes extra points or not, but I tend to think this is between Self and Donovan.

jakncoke

Banned
Finally getting a lil lead

edit; wtf john johnson is leaving now. i really liked what i seen of him last season. shit sucks
edit2; adams going to be fun to watch this shame he's prob a 1 and done

Joel Embiid is supposed to announce sometime this week between Kansas, Florida, and Texas.

I don't normally care all that much about recruiting, but KU doesn't have a 7 footer for next year and I really like this kid. We'd probably get 3 really good years out of him. I don't know if KD's legacy is giving Rick Barnes extra points or not, but I tend to think this is between Self and Donovan.

Wow I didn't even know we (Texas) were in the hunt for him. I thought Julius Randle and Keith Frazier were the only top ballers we realistically had a shot at.

Fjordson

I think Goodwin may be able to get to the basket against Duke, but can he make the right decision once the defense rotates over? With experience he will be able to make the right decision, but Tuesday might be a bit early for that to happen. Goodwin seems a bit out of control when attacking the basket. If Duke can contest w/o fouling then I think they will be able to limit Goodwin's damage. EDIT: How could I forget Duke can just draw fouls using the Duke flop... I mean take charges.. :p

I will say that Goodwin has improved his decision making in the PnR from the very first exhibition game against Northwoods. I saw him go to his third read and find the open shooter in the Maryland game. So he is improving :).

There is a solid chance the Harrow will sit out tomorrow nights game ( still sick and didn't practice this weekend ).
Yeah, Goodwin is great at getting to the basket. Was pretty impressed by his penetration against Maryland.

Just hope our other big recruits give more production next game. Need more offense from Poythress and Noel, and hopefully Noel can stay out of foul trouble.

TheNatural

My Member!
Georgia has a pretty bad team this year. Only like 100 fans showed up to watch the game from the looks of it on television.

It's always amazed me how many major college football programs that put 90 or 100,000 people in the stands for games, the size of a small city. can't even find 500 fucking people to watch their basketball team play.

In just our 2nd game we've already tied the number of times we scored more than 40 pts in the 1st half of a game last year. Thank you based-Groce.

I for one do not miss Weberball.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I do feel better about Duke's chances going into this game than I did before watching Kentucky play Maryland. I think they're more talented but because of our experience (and Kentucky's lack of), we're much closer to our peak potential now than Kentucky is to theirs.

I don't think we're anywhere close. We have experience on UK, thats about it. If Curry is 100% healthy I think we have the talent. But I expect Duke to get the shit kicked out of them a couple of times at the beginning of the season. I don't even care. Right now I'm worried about Cook and the rest of the team getting in sync and whatver is going on with robocop. Once those are settled, I'm excited to see Duke get better.

cashman

Banned

Texas is supposedly a distant 3rd.

linko9

This Watch ESPN BS is pretty annoying. For the past 5 or so years I could get every game that ESPN shows online because it's supported by my ISP. But now they've changed the rules, and basically you have to have a cable subscription, or else pretty much every game is blacked out. The future sucks.

TheNatural

My Member!
This Watch ESPN BS is pretty annoying. For the past 5 or so years I could get every game that ESPN shows online because it's supported by my ISP. But now they've changed the rules, and basically you have to have a cable subscription, or else pretty much every game is blacked out. The future sucks.

Yup, ESPN3 is worthless now. Knew it was only a matter of time before they became greedy fucks like the rest of the network is and locked that down.

McNei1y

I'm so pumped for Maryland this year. The team hasn't been this stacked in awhile.

I wish I could skip work tomorrow and just watch college basketball all night.

mbmonk

Here is a good video that shows the PnR plays ( Shake and Spread ) the both Duke and Kentucky run. The video is not about Duke or Kentucky, but it is the same general play and philosophy. When watching the first segment just insert the Duke players and or Kentucky players on the positions on the court for their NBA counter parts. This will be run when they have the shooting PF like Kelly and Wiltjer in the game.

I believe this is the same play I was speaking about in the Coach K practice post.

I will definitely be looking for this tonight. I can't wait.

Harrow is out according to Dick V twitter...

I don't think we're anywhere close. We have experience on UK, thats about it. If Curry is 100% healthy I think we have the talent. But I expect Duke to get the shit kicked out of them a couple of times at the beginning of the season. I don't even care. Right now I'm worried about Cook and the rest of the team getting in sync and whatver is going on with robocop. Once those are settled, I'm excited to see Duke get better.

No, I think we'll get better as the the season progresses too.

But I think that, at this moment in time, we're a better team than Kentucky due to the gap in experience between the two teams. I'm not sure the same would be true at the end of the season, but tonight at 9:30 in the Georgia Dome, I would bet on Duke winning that game.

Maybe I'm wrong and we get our shit pushed in.

chris121580

Anyone watch the Michigan/IUPUI game last night? Michigan looks every bit as good as us in my opinion. They are young but very good and very athletic. That was the first time I'd seen GR3 play and he's every bit as good as advertised. I didn't even recognize Jordan Morgan. They said he lost 20 pounds. Team is scary good

mbmonk

Anyone watch the Michigan/IUPUI game last night? Michigan looks every bit as good as us in my opinion. They are young but very good and very athletic. That was the first time I'd seen GR3 play and he's every bit as good as advertised. I didn't even recognize Jordan Morgan. They said he lost 20 pounds. Team is scary good

I didn't get to watch it. I am hoping to catch it on ESPN 3 if it's available.

Talon

Yup, ESPN3 is worthless now. Knew it was only a matter of time before they became greedy fucks like the rest of the network is and locked that down.
Eh, to be fair, this was probably a decision made by cable providers rather than Mickey Mouse.

chris121580

I didn't get to watch it. I am hoping to catch it on ESPN 3 if it's available.

It should be pretty soon. Also, IU allowing a no name team to put up 67 points is unacceptable. I haven't watched the game yet, DVRing it on the Big Ten Network this afternoon but it seems our defense is once again is going to be our problem

W1SSY

Indiana didn't play great last night but at no point was I worried about NDS keeping it close. The ESPN article on the game makes it seem like the Bison kept it close and almost won but they were down by 13 at half and lost by almost 30. Remy Abell was amazing hitting all of his shots and putting up 14 off the bench. Apparently Zeller was sick and still got 22 points and 9 boards. I cannot wait for Indiana to actually play a decent opponent so I can see how good they actually are.

Amory

Nice to see UConn ranked this week, I hate it when there's no little number next to our name...feels wrong.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I'm trying to watch it right now but its very hard with the world biggest scumbag Bruce Pearl doing our game.

Top Bottom