• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

DominoKid

2014 SF Justin Jackson (#2 SF, #10 overall) just committed to UNC.

2014 class shaping up REAL NICE, already got two top 15 prospects (Joel Berry, #4 PG, #14 overall) and we're hosting Rashad Vaughn (#2 SG, #13 overall) on Saturday for the Duke game. Could be a MONSTER class.

sheeeeeeeeit. ballin.

joel berry is gonna build that class. he's actively recruiting the field.

Fjordson

Do you really hate Kentucky or something? Granted, I don't read the thread very much, but every time they are mentioned I always see you chime in with negativity about them.
He's a Louisville fan, of course he does.

(Luckily I have family connections to both schools and live in Cali so I root for both :lol)

Edit: beaten badly

DominoKid

Psh. You've got 7 or 8 of those career or 3 year college guys everyone will be talking about for decades if you win it all this year. I would never be envious of a group of guys who's recruiting soap opera went on longer than their actual college time. That's what March is all about.

And lets GO CARDS. Time to take down our old rival yet again.

even as a carolina fan i was very jealous of kentucky last year.

i enjoyed watching them a lot. i have no problem admitting that. i still wish we could've played them again though.

Bowser

i enjoyed watching them a lot. i have no problem admitting that. i still wish we could've played them again though.

Yeah, UNC/UK was destined to happen until fucking Creighton of all teams derailed our dreams :(

TheNatural

My Member!

I'm never jealous of teams like that, or teams like Syracuse with Carmello, which was miniscule compared to now. When I think of UNC I think of 3 and 4 year guys, guys like Hansborough and Jordan, guys who stayed to win the title. I can't imagine just watching a team put together on the fly for nothing more than a minor league gapstop to the pros. We've only had two early entry draft picks in like almost 20 years, and are up there in either first or second all time in 1,000 point scorers with you guys.

Even if it lowers our chances to win a title, I still wouldn't trade that for running guys in and out every year. It devalues even watching the game. It's one of the bigger reasons I can't understand anyone watching the NBA these days. Guys jump teams like it's a bodily function.

DominoKid

I'm never jealous of teams like that, or teams like Syracuse with Carmello, which was miniscule compared to now. When I think of UNC I think of 3 and 4 year guys, guys like Hansborough and Jordan, guys who stayed to win the title. I can't imagine just watching a team put together on the fly for nothing more than a minor league gapstop to the pros. We've only had two early entry draft picks in like almost 20 years, and are up there in either first or second all time in 1,000 point scorers with you guys.

Even if it lowers our chances to win a title, I still wouldn't trade that for running guys in and out every year. It devalues even watching the game. It's one of the bigger reasons I can't understand anyone watching the NBA these days. Guys jump teams like it's a bodily function.

I'm not such a romantic about these things. I like winning too much to be anything but a cynic.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm not such a romantic about these things. I like winning too much to be anything but a cynic.

I don't think you have to be a classical fan wishing for the good ole days to think that kind of roster turnover is ridiculous. UNC has had about as much pure talent as anyone the past decade with its own share of doners, but it seems like you guys have a nice mix constantly. I just can't imagine "ok new year, now root for these guys we just got." If you're going to follow sports and be an actual fan, what's the functional difference between doing that and just choosing to root for a new team each year? I couldn't stand it.

What IU is doing is great, because so many of those guys were there in really shitty down times and improved and have become rock solid because of it. That's what's great about this sport.

Fjordson

To be fair, not every single player on UK last year was like that. The three freshmen were, but Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller were all returning players. Hell, Darius was a senior from the Billy G days straight out of Maysville, Kentucky.

After this year though, it'll be interesting to see what Calipari does going forward. Is the mediocrity just from a bad batch of freshmen or is it a lack of upper classmen leadership?

TheNatural

My Member!
To be fair, not every single player on UK last year was like that. The three freshmen were, but Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, and Darius Miller were all returning players. Hell, Darius was a senior from the Billy G days straight out of Maysville, Kentucky.

Jones and Lamb stayed ... two years. My apologies.

Psh. You've got 7 or 8 of those career or 3 year college guys everyone will be talking about for decades if you win it all this year. I would never be envious of a group of guys who's recruiting soap opera went on longer than their actual college time. That's what March is all about.

And lets GO CARDS. Time to take down our old rival yet again.

It's just the part of beating every team you've faced that's appealing. Not the 1 and done factory that Calipari has established (though I dont begrudge him for making his program the place for one and dones, he's certainly the best at that).

But I do much prefer Crean's approach. Getting 3-4 year guys, with maybe 1 or 2 guys that would turn pro after one/two years, provides nice stability and allows the fan base to develop more of a connection with the players + seeing them grow and improve. Oladipo's career arc for instance....hard to imagine that happening at UK since they by and large get ready made players (their team's struggles this year not withstanding).

I greatly appreciate the way Crean rebuilt the program from the bottom up. He didn't take shortcuts with academic risks/juco's by and large....stuck to guys that would be 3-4 year players, establish the culture, etc. It took till the 4th year (and Cody Zeller) to put IU back into relevancy, but it's impressive given the mess he inherited from Sampson and the NCAA.

The rebuild would have happened sooner had Kyrie Irving come or had Maurice Creek not gotten hurt. In any case, I'm certainly more than pleased with where they are now.

To have two academic all-americans (Zeller and Hulls...with Oladipo close) coupled with the hard work the players + coaches have put into building the program back up, it's great.

Wait, what? K does know how weak the ACC is this year, right?

Not the first time I've heard or read him say that. They lost 2 of their first 3 without Kelly, including getting rolled at Miami by 27.

It might seem outlandish, it certainly does to me, but consider for a moment:

- They're 12-4 in the league.
- They almost lost at Boston College
- Were in a close game at Wake Forest, tied with 3 minutes to go
- Could have lost to UNC at home
- Could have lost to Miami again on Saturday

They're literally a few plays away from being 8-8 right now in the ACC. Does a .500 team in the ACC make the tournament? Not likely.

chris121580

Truth.

I think IU has the Midwest Region number one seed all but wrapped up with a win tomorrow night. They'd have the outright regular season title in the best conference in the country this year. Plus a win over the probable Big East champ, G'town.

How would Kansas or Louisville trump that resume? I can see Kansas getting a 1 in the South or West. Louisville a 1 in the East if they were to catch G'town and also win the Big East tournament.

Id be surprised if IU was displaced as the 1 seed in the Midwest....even if they lose their first game of the B1G tournament, I think they still get that slot.

With at win against Ohio St., I don't see the advantage in going all out at Michigan. Give the bench more minutes in that game. Injury is the thing to avoid this time of year.

To me, the intrigue lies in what Iowa does at home tomorrow night against Illinois. If Iowa can win that game....and MSU can beat Wisconsin at home Thursday....you could get an ideal revenge draw for IU in the B1G tournament. 8 Illinois v. 9. Purdue. Illinois wins thus setting the revenge game for IU on Friday. Wisky beats OSU in the 4/5 matchup. IU avenges the Wisky defeat in the semis on Saturday. That's what I am rooting for.

I'm envious of Kentucky's run last year. Only 2 losses. They lost in the conference tournament to Vanderbilt, but they beat them twice during the regular season. IU got UK in the regular season, but Kentucky avenged it when it counted the most in the Sweet 16 (which was still one of the best offensively executed games I've seen played in the tournament). They can say they beat everyone...even a win over UNC in the non conference. It's like Lennox Lewis avenging his Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman defeats....very satisfying for Lewis fans to say he beat every man he faced.

So, IU needs to beat Illinois and Wisconsin in the B1G tournament. Then get Butler again in the Midwest region + avenge that loss.
I'd be totally ok not having to play Butler again this season. They're always dangerous in the tournament even if they are slipping up lately

devilhawk

Well we're 5 on realtimerpi.com. If we win both this week, we may have the most top 50 RPI wins outside of Duke this year. I'm not too concerned with seeding either, but shit, how many fucking games does Michigan or Michigan State have to lose to actually drop? Syracuse has the same exact record as MSU and has dropped like a rock.

KU has the most Top 50 wins this year. If ISU crawls back in (was at 53), we would have two more.

alstein

Not the first time I've heard or read him say that. They lost 2 of their first 3 without Kelly, including getting rolled at Miami by 27.

It might seem outlandish, it certainly does to me, but consider for a moment:

- They're 12-4 in the league.
- They almost lost at Boston College
- Were in a close game at Wake Forest, tied with 3 minutes to go
- Could have lost to UNC at home
- Could have lost to Miami again on Saturday

They're literally a few plays away from being 8-8 right now in the ACC. Does a .500 team in the ACC make the tournament? Not likely.

A 9-9 Duke or NCSU would have made the tourney.

A 9-9 Duke or NCSU would have made the tourney.

Duke, yeah, maybe. NC State, probably not. Didn't beat anybody out of conference.

Either way, it's moot. Neither are going to be 9-9. State might get to 10-8, though, and that would be interesting to see. I think ACC teams are going to need to be a minimum of 11-7. Hear that, Terps? You're done.

Fjordson

Looks like Julius Randle is announcing his decision on March 20th. I keep reading that it's between Kansas and Kentucky at this point.

I would love to see him at UK, but we have so many incoming freshmen already, I think it might push him to Kansas. Hope I'm wrong.

alstein

Duke, yeah, maybe. NC State, probably not. Didn't beat anybody out of conference.

Either way, it's moot. Neither are going to be 9-9. State might get to 10-8, though, and that would be interesting to see. I think ACC teams are going to need to be a minimum of 11-7. Hear that, Terps? You're done.

They beat UConn. If State's an 8 seed, dropping their last 3 would drop them to a 12 I think (would include 2 WTF losses). I think State's going to end up a 7 personally, 6 possible if they make it to Saturday of ACCT, 5 if they win it. The tourney takes injuries into consideration, and losing Lorenzo Brown for 3 games probably cost them 2 wins in those games (though it helped get Tyler Lewis into the mix which they needed, so it wasn't all bad). This is also why I think Duke will get a 1, Ryan Kelly is back.

Polls really won't matter until after conference tourney time, as long as you are in striking distance, all number 1 seeds are there for the taking. IU seems to be the only one who has it made

I wonder what Michigan has to do to get back in the #1 seed discussion. Beat Indiana in the season finale and win the B1G tournament is probably required at this point, no?

W1SSY

I wonder what Michigan has to do to get back in the #1 seed discussion. Beat Indiana in the season finale and win the B1G tournament is probably required at this point, no?
That at least but I just don't think they have enough left on the schedule.

Big game tonight and I imagine Assembly Hall will be crazy. The students always get pumped for big games but having a senior night for three guys that have done a lot to get Indiana back to this point will probably make it even more crazy.

In the media Q&A Deshaun Thomas said IU was the second loudest place he has played in behind Kansas but I imagine that will change tonight.

That at least but I just don't think they have enough left on the schedule.

Big game tonight and I imagine Assembly Hall will be crazy. The students always get pumped for big games but having a senior night for three guys that have done a lot to get Indiana back to this point will probably make it even more crazy.

In a media Q&A Deshaun Thomas said IU was the second loudest place he has played in behind Kansas but I imagine that will change tonight.

Thad has said the loudest was Purdue in 2010 or something. Prepare for sadness tonight IU fans! We're going to shit all over your senior night!

W1SSY

Thad has said the loudest was Purdue in 2010 or something. Prepare for sadness tonight IU fans! We're going to shit all over your senior night!

If you play anything like last time and all we have to do is stop Deshaun, I don't see OSU standing a chance. In a perfect world Hulls and Watford go off and hit every shot they put up and that means raining threes. In reality Hulls plays average and Watford hides under a rock for the whole game.

TheNatural

My Member!
Conference tourneys have officially begun!

Winthrop and Radford kicking things off in the Big South tourney WITH THEIR SEASONS ON THE LINE.

I'm going to find a way to watch some of these games. Big South is basically assured of a 16 or 15 seed.

EDIT: Nevermind. $79.99 for an "annual" Big South subscription.

If you play anything like last time and all we have to do is stop Deshaun, I don't see OSU standing a chance. In a perfect world Hulls and Watford go off and hit every shot they put up and that means raining threes. In reality Hulls plays average and Watford hides under a rock for the whole game.

Hopefully we dont, I really dont think we win but it will be a closer game than last time.

alstein

Conference tourneys have officially begun!

Winthrop and Radford kicking things off in the Big South tourney WITH THEIR SEASONS ON THE LINE.

I'm going to find a way to watch some of these games. Big South is basically assured of a 16 or 15 seed.

EDIT: Nevermind. $79.99 for an "annual" Big South subscription.

I want to see High Point win because by dad got to play there briefly until they found out he was ineligible.

thefro

I think we match up well with OSU but it might be tougher than many expect since we played a pretty good game at OSU. We don't always make all those shots.

Also, this article today was pretty interesting. Bob Knight's the one who started the Candy-Stripe pants thing at IU the first year he was here because he thought they looked cool.

This is from the era where Bobby Knight wore cool plaid suits like this
Ikles2P.jpg

instead of the boring sweaters

http://www.lostlettermen.com/why-does-indiana-wear-candy-striped-pants/

LOL. Has a college coach ever went back to the same place he coached after quitting? That may be a first.

Larry Shyatt left Wyoming to go to Clemson, sued Wyoming to get out of his contract buyout, later got fired at Clemson, got rehired at Wyoming a few years later.

Another one I'm familiar with is Mike Dement, who left UNC-Greensboro to go to SMU. Resigned after a few unsuccessful seasons, returned to UNCG. Resigned again last season, now works at Burger King. Not sure about that last part.

Top Bottom