• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
With that much time left, why is the ball handler either not driving, or there not a designed play. Seemed like everyone was just standing there outside the perimeter with an 'oh shit' look on their face.

Out of timeouts... better using them than having 3 left at the end of every game like Crean does.

Ahh, didn't realize they were out of em.
Too true on Crean though.....I still dont how he didn't call more timeouts when Illinois made that run in the last 4 minutes.

thefro

Fail by MSU there on that last play.

IU can clinch the B1G outright now on Senior night against OSU Tuesday night.
Thank you Michigan.

That's going to be a fantastic moment if they can do that.... clinching the title outright on Senior Night would be huge after all the program's been through.

You can just about set your clock to it.

Team beats Duke on their home floor.
Students rush the court.
Team celebrates with students.
Team loses next game.

UVA lost to Boston College today, as per the usual. 3 for 4. Don't rush the court, kiddos.

That's going to be a fantastic moment if they can do that.... clinching the title outright on Senior Night would be huge after all the program's been through.

It will be a day long remembered....
It'd be the first outright title since 93.

Makes me think of all the struggles since then (besides the glorious run in 02, damn Coverdale's ankle injury notwithstanding) -

- Knight's flameouts the last 5 years of his run, worst one being the game against Colorado (and Chauncey Billups) where the team literally quit 5 minutes into the game. Still for me the most depressed I've ever been at the end of the season.

- Mike Davis anointing Bracey Wright at the expense of seniors who had done so much for the program...thus screwing up the team chemistry in 03.

- Kelvin Sampson's phone idiocy

- Kyle Taber, last man standing after the Sampson mess, a walk on.....coupled with Crean scrambling to bring in bodies that year

- The year before Cody came...when IU was still struggling to win games....feeling like it couldn't get over the hump given Creek's injury problems.

To be where they are now...it's remarkable. I just hope this club is healthy the next 5 weeks.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm not asking for a high tournament seed or anything. But a little respect, please!

xVqMDNa.jpg

thefro

Probably Gonzaga barely #1, IU #2 (lost to NCAA team in MN on the road), Kansas #3, Georgetown #4, Dook #5 (bad loss at VA negates Miami win at home) would be my guess for the polls tomorrow.

Miami #6, Michigan #7 (really bad loss to Penn State), Louisville #8, MSU #9 (loss at Michigan by 1 shouldn't hurt them), Florida #10 (loss on the road to medicore TN team)

TheNatural

My Member!
I'd put U of L a bit higher after winning at Syracuse. Especially with Michigan losing to Penn St.

We're probably going to be shafted since top 10 teams like Duke and Michigan that lost earlier in the week, had a top 10 win follow it. Either way Duke still has to go to UNC, Michigan has to play IU, and the conference tourneys, so I feel like we can rise to 1 seed position if we win our last two, and a couple in the BEAST tourney.

Fjordson

We're probably going to be shafted since top 10 teams like Duke and Michigan that lost earlier in the week, had a top 10 win follow it. Either way Duke still has to go to UNC, Michigan has to play IU, and the conference tourneys, so I feel like we can rise to 1 seed position if we win our last two, and a couple in the BEAST tourney.
I can definitely see that. Louisvlile looks pretty steady at the moment, and you really never know who's going to get upset near the top this year.

Random note, but I'm watching the Bulls and Pacers on ESPN and Marquis Teague is playing really well. He's blown by George Hill a few times to get into the lane and made some nice dishes (two of them to another former UK champ, Nazr Mohammed).

It's a stark reminder of the insane guard play UK has had over the past few years and how lacking it is this year in comparison =[ I know Ryan Harrow is probably working hard to get better, but he can't hold a candle to guys like John Wall, Teague, Brandon Knight, or Doron Lamb.

chris121580

Feels real good to get a Big 10 Championship after all the program has been through. It's been a long road to get back to where we are. It'd only be fitting to win it outright on Senior night for the guys who went through so many ups and downs in the program.

W1SSY

Gonzaga 1, Indiana 2, Kansas 3, Duke 4, Georgetown 5, Louisville 6 in USA Today coaches poll.

AP Top 10: 1. Zags; 2. IU; 3. Duke; 4. Kansas; 5. Georgetown; 6. Miami; 7. Michigan; 8. Louisville; 9. Kansas State; 10. Michigan State
Four teams earned #1 votes in AP Poll: Zags (51), IU (7), Duke (5), Georgetown (2).

TheNatural

My Member!
Screw the AP in this instance. Michigan wins at home against Michigan State doesn't make up for a 200 RPI loss, especially when we went to the Carrier Dome and won. I think we should be ahead of both Miami and Michigan in the AP, like we are in the coaches.

It's whatever, as long as we get our first couple games in Lexington. Need a win tonight over Cincy, they always make it into a grinder.

W1SSY

Screw the AP in this instance. Michigan wins at home against Michigan State doesn't make up for a 200 RPI loss, especially when we went to the Carrier Dome and won. I think we should be ahead of both Miami and Michigan in the AP, like we are in the coaches.

It's whatever, as long as we get our first couple games in Lexington. Need a win tonight over Cincy, they always make it into a grinder.

Yea Michigan probably shouldn't be that high especially from how they have been playing recently. At this point the rankings mean nothing, it is more important to get a good seed in the tournament.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yea Michigan probably shouldn't be that high especially from how they have been playing recently. At this point the rankings mean nothing, it is more important to get a good seed in the tournament.

Well we're 5 on realtimerpi.com. If we win both this week, we may have the most top 50 RPI wins outside of Duke this year. I'm not too concerned with seeding either, but shit, how many fucking games does Michigan or Michigan State have to lose to actually drop? Syracuse has the same exact record as MSU and has dropped like a rock.

Talon

Jesus. You are the touchiest fan in all of Sports-GAF. You and Cloving should get a trailer.

TheNatural

My Member!
Jesus. You are the touchiest fan in all of Sports-GAF. You and Cloving should get a trailer.

I'm touchy, because I think the polls are ridiculous and am trying to discuss it? SMH.

Wouldn't want to add discussion to the thread or anything to up it over it's usual 5 post per day mark outside of ongoing game comments. Not that you contribute a bit or anything.

W1SSY

Well we're 5 on realtimerpi.com. If we win both this week, we may have the most top 50 RPI wins outside of Duke this year. I'm not too concerned with seeding either, but shit, how many fucking games does Michigan or Michigan State have to lose to actually drop? Syracuse has the same exact record as MSU and has dropped like a rock.
Probably has to do with MSU losing on the road against tough opponents and Syracuse losing at home. If anything you have to protect home court.

Talon

I'm touchy, because I think the polls are ridiculous and am trying to discuss it? SMH.

Wouldn't want to add discussion to the thread or anything to up it over it's usual 5 post per day mark outside of ongoing game comments. Not that you contribute a bit or anything.
It's true.

If I responded to every perceived slight to my teams, I'd probably have three times as many posts!

TheNatural

My Member!
It's true.

If I responded to every perceived slight to my teams, I'd probably have three times as many posts!

Uh, it's not about slight. It's called discussion. At least I'm a big fan of the sport, and not a drive by poster who barely keeps up.

If I think my team is underrated compared to what others have done, and say so, someone bitches. If I think we're dog shit, someone bitches. Somehow I'm both a homer and a hater. Maybe I'm just discussing whats going on, and typing on a computer about it, and that's about it. I'm not a UK fan, I'm not going to send death threats to whoever "disrespects" us.

chris121580

Gonzaga can have that number 1 spot. It's cursed anyway. I'm just going to be pissed if we win the Big 10 outright and not get the overall number 1 seed even if we don't win the Big 10 tournament. I think winning our next 2 games would seal us as the overall #1 I would hope. Michigan hasn't lost at home this season

Crisco

Banned
Man, if NC State ends up with the 8/9 matchup in Gonzaga's bracket, I'll be laughing all the way to the Elite 8. Biggest fraud of a #1 seed ever.

TheNatural

My Member!
another classic pitino gif

a6nZBfg.gif

Saw that live, cracked up. I'm not sure what it was about though because someone set an illegal screen, I guess Russ didn't use the screen the right way or something, who knows. Sometimes I worry he's going to turn Russ into a tentative player. But then again, right after that he drove the ball through the middle like a maniac and got a foul.

thefro

Gonzaga can have that number 1 spot. It's cursed anyway. I'm just going to be pissed if we win the Big 10 outright and not get the overall number 1 seed even if we don't win the Big 10 tournament. I think winning our next 2 games would seal us as the overall #1 I would hope. Michigan hasn't lost at home this season

I just want to be the #1 seed in the Midwest. I don't care about #1 in the polls or who the "#1 overall!" seed is in the NCAAs.

I just want to be the #1 seed in the Midwest. I don't care about #1 in the polls or who the "#1 overall!" seed is in the NCAAs.

Truth.

I think IU has the Midwest Region number one seed all but wrapped up with a win tomorrow night. They'd have the outright regular season title in the best conference in the country this year. Plus a win over the probable Big East champ, G'town.

How would Kansas or Louisville trump that resume? I can see Kansas getting a 1 in the South or West. Louisville a 1 in the East if they were to catch G'town and also win the Big East tournament.

Id be surprised if IU was displaced as the 1 seed in the Midwest....even if they lose their first game of the B1G tournament, I think they still get that slot.

With at win against Ohio St., I don't see the advantage in going all out at Michigan. Give the bench more minutes in that game. Injury is the thing to avoid this time of year.

To me, the intrigue lies in what Iowa does at home tomorrow night against Illinois. If Iowa can win that game....and MSU can beat Wisconsin at home Thursday....you could get an ideal revenge draw for IU in the B1G tournament. 8 Illinois v. 9. Purdue. Illinois wins thus setting the revenge game for IU on Friday. Wisky beats OSU in the 4/5 matchup. IU avenges the Wisky defeat in the semis on Saturday. That's what I am rooting for.

I'm envious of Kentucky's run last year. Only 2 losses. They lost in the conference tournament to Vanderbilt, but they beat them twice during the regular season. IU got UK in the regular season, but Kentucky avenged it when it counted the most in the Sweet 16 (which was still one of the best offensively executed games I've seen played in the tournament). They can say they beat everyone...even a win over UNC in the non conference. It's like Lennox Lewis avenging his Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman defeats....very satisfying for Lewis fans to say he beat every man he faced.

So, IU needs to beat Illinois and Wisconsin in the B1G tournament. Then get Butler again in the Midwest region + avenge that loss.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm envious of Kentucky's run last year. Only 2 losses. They lost in the conference tournament to Vanderbilt, but they beat them twice during the regular season. IU got UK in the regular season, but Kentucky avenged it when it counted the most in the Sweet 16 (which was still one of the best offensively executed games I've seen played in the tournament). They can say they beat everyone...even a win over UNC in the non conference. It's like Lennox Lewis avenging his Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman defeats....very satisfying for Lewis fans to say he beat every man he faced.
[/B].

Psh. You've got 7 or 8 of those career or 3 year college guys everyone will be talking about for decades if you win it all this year. I would never be envious of a group of guys who's recruiting soap opera went on longer than their actual college time. That's what March is all about.

And lets GO CARDS. Time to take down our old rival yet again.

Bowser

2014 SF Justin Jackson (#2 SF, #10 overall) just committed to UNC.

2014 class shaping up REAL NICE, already got two top 15 prospects (Joel Berry, #4 PG, #14 overall) and we're hosting Rashad Vaughn (#2 SG, #13 overall) on Saturday for the Duke game. Could be a MONSTER class.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wow this is the best offensive start I've seen us have so far this season. Too bad Cincy's starting to shoot pretty well to start too.

Avinexus

Psh. You've got 7 or 8 of those career or 3 year college guys everyone will be talking about for decades if you win it all this year. I would never be envious of a group of guys who's recruiting soap opera went on longer than their actual college time. That's what March is all about.

And lets GO CARDS. Time to take down our old rival yet again.

Do you really hate Kentucky or something? Granted, I don't read the thread very much, but every time they are mentioned I always see you chime in with negativity about them.

Top Bottom