• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Nah we're a solid lock for an 8-9 seed. Wins over Florida, VCU, Illinois, 23-10 record, no RPI >100 losses (bad losses). Top 30 in most (every?) computer ranking.

Bored, so I looked at Mizzou's resume.

107 Tennessee State
305 SIU-Edwardsville
310 Alcorn State
296 Nicholls State
267 Appalachian State
219 Southeast Missouri State
342 South Carolina State

Cupcake much? Dear heavens.

He gets a lot of hate but I always enjoyed his show on ESPN radio.
He has a show on cbs radio, now.

jerd

Bored, so I looked at Mizzou's resume.

107 Tennessee State
305 SIU-Edwardsville
310 Alcorn State
296 Nicholls State
267 Appalachian State
219 Southeast Missouri State
342 South Carolina State

Cupcake much? Dear heavens.

44 in SOS. You could probably make the same comparison for most teams in the tourney. Many teams play cupcakes early.

He gets a lot of hate but I always enjoyed his show on ESPN radio.

Gottlieb is one of the few analysts that actually talks x's and o's. He'll point out strategically what teams are doing wrong, which is refreshing. Usually analysts make the most superficially cliche comments, but Gottlieb actually is insightful at times.

For instance, yesterday he rightfully pointed out that Tom Crean's substitution patterns were a big mistake. Taking both Vic and Cody out at the same time, even having Yogi on the bench too. Playing Remy, Hollowell, etc, too many minutes. I love Crean but he was dead on about the mistake that Crean was making.

He may be a credit card thief, he may come across as snide sometimes....but he actually makes insightful comments. He's opinionated in an interesting way. Sometimes his arguments are off base, but he can be very astute.

Reminds me a little bit of Billy Packer. An announcer I used to love to hate growing up. Always felt he was biased in favor of the ACC. But at least Packer was opinionated + wasn't afraid to say something negative/call someone out. Again, he was wrong on many occasions + a bit pompous...but he was at least interesting. Id take Packer over Clark Kellog.

Kellog was a great studio analyst, but I think he's eminently forgettable as the lead in game color commentator. He does his Gruden esque positive at all times approach + doesn't get too specific in terms of the x's and o's.

I do like Steve Kerr, he adds a lot to the broadcast. Actually talks some of the strategy of the coaches.

Kevtones

I'm hoping Oregon gets a 6 seed. They lost their arguably best player in the center of the season when they were 18-2.

In games at full strength, they were 9-3 vs. the top 100. 3-0 vs. UW helps considerinh UWs win over SLU (that looks really good right now for the PAC 12)

Best wins: @UNLV, @UCLA, UCLA neutral, Zona - not great but Oregon has looked very good all season save for one weekend.

Seth C

I expect them to take a marginal step back next year, at least early, because they are losing all of their inside presence. They'll be extremely young in the post, and the post is where they have won games all year. I honestly think Frank Haith has the recruiting ability to bring in talent that can compete with UK, I just don't think he has the coaching ability right now.

Nah we're a solid lock for an 8-9 seed. Wins over Florida, VCU, Illinois, 23-10 record, no RPI >100 losses (bad losses). Top 30 in most (every?) computer ranking.

I get what you're saying, but the only real difference is you won against "better" awful teams. Let's be real though, you've not beaten anyone on the road. Illinois is 22-12 for fuck's sake with a losing record in their conference. I realize people like them but I think that's absurd as well. Florida? At home, just like Kentucky beat them. Got whipped at Ole Miss, of course, since you only managed to beat Mississippi State and South Carolina on the road. Yes folks, two real road wins the entire season, against teams that were 4-14 in conference play and losing overall records to boot.

I know where you're coming from. I see the computer rankings. I think they are stupid. A win over Appalachian State shouldn't count for more than a win over Morehead. In the end, they are both a useless measurement.

Missouri/Kentucky

RPI Wins

6 / 6
24 / 35
40 / 50
50 / 59
51 / 64
60 / 86
78 / 101
86 / 108
93 / 108
101 / 154
105 / 173
108 / 175
140 / 208
262 / 226
214 / 230
230 / 232
226 / 236
226 / 238
248 / 248
296 / 248
303 / 291

Losses

3 / 1
6 / 3
29 / 6
50 / 36
50 / 59
57 / 60
59 / 70
86 / 93
93 / 101
101 / 108
---- / 140

Missouri's Road Wins: 225 and 230
Kentucky's Road Wins: 50, 101, 108, 248

You're really going to tell me the only difference between a team being solidly in as an 8 seed or not making it at all is one extra bad loss VS a few extra wins against teams in the 70-100 RPI range? Again, if Kentucky has no shot (and I don't think we should) then Missouri should barely make it. There are not 40 teams between Missouri and Kentucky. No way.

Fjordson

Kellog was a great studio analyst, but I think he's eminently forgettable as the lead in game color commentator. He does his Gruden esque positive at all times approach + doesn't get too specific in terms of the x's and o's.

I do like Steve Kerr, he adds a lot to the broadcast. Actually talks some of the strategy of the coaches.

Yeah, I like Kellog, but he's a little dull. Kerr is pretty good, though.

Honestly, I think my favourite broadcast team right now is Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery. Bilas' willingness to blast inconsistent refs and the NCAA is always enjoyable. They were good calling the Big East tourney.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's because you left NFL-gaf!

If you like the wrong team then NFL Gaf can be unfun at times. Cajunator got shit on by a weekly basis and I don't know how he took it.

CFB Gaf is probably my favorite. Outside of that one Notre Dame jackass who would do his drive by bandwagon posting, it was pretty civil. I like here as well. I'm not sure if I'll follow NFL-GAF next season or not. I did post some during the super bowl, but that was it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
MARSHALL-HENDERSON-GATOR-CHOMP.gif

Apparently, something happened.

devilhawk

Missouri finished 6th in one of the worst conferences, has no good road wins, and bowed out in its first game in the SEC tourny.

In? Ok, but barely.

lush

If Florida had any balls whatsoever they'd have dropped his ass. He's pulling that shit with 7 to go and Florida still couldn't play tough.

jerd

I get what you're saying, but the only real difference is you won against "better" awful teams. Let's be real though, you've not beaten anyone on the road. Illinois is 22-12 for fuck's sake with a losing record in their conference. I realize people like them but I think that's absurd as well. Florida? At home, just like Kentucky beat them. Got whipped at Ole Miss, of course, since you only managed to beat Mississippi State and South Carolina on the road. Yes folks, two real road wins the entire season, against teams that were 4-14 in conference play and losing overall records to boot.

-snip-

You're really going to tell me the only difference between a team being solidly in as an 8 seed or not making it at all is one extra bad loss VS a few extra wins against teams in the 70-100 RPI range? Again, if Kentucky has no shot (and I don't think we should) then Missouri should barely make it. There are not 40 teams between Missouri and Kentucky. No way.

I know it is strange, but it looks like Mizzou's bad teams were at least good enough to rank them 25 spots higher in SoS, which is a major factor. I guess the only thing I can tell you is that you should blame the system then. According to the computer rankings (which is the selection committee's choice to go by, not mine) Mizzou is comfortably in.

I think another problem is that Kentucky could probably beat a lot of teams that are going to make the tourney on the right night. Their problem was the lull at the beginning of the season from having a team of Freshmen, and the one at the end when Noel went down. Maybe if the bulk of your losses were early on and UK was in the middle of a hot streak at 21-11 then things would be different (like how people thought it would be for Tennessee).

Missouri finished 6th in one of the worst conferences, has no good road wins, and bowed out in its first game in the SEC tourny.

In? Ok, but barely.

A deceiving stat when you consider there was only one game between second and sixth. Also, and I know it doesn't make that much of a difference but your post is factually inaccurate, they lost in the quarterfinals (their second game) to the eventual tourney champ.

But yes, they are awful on the road, no doubt about that. It almost makes it worse that they were all close games. 5 of their road losses were by a combined 11 points, with 2 more in overtime. They had very late (like sub 2 minutes) leads in all of them. It has been a very heartbreaking season, let me have this! ;-)

Edit: Coincidentally (because I know everyone is so interested) 2 of their 3 double digit losses were without their two leading scorers, which factors into both BPI and KenPom rankings.

lush

If Lunardi is to be believed Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and LaSalle are fighting for the last 2 spots.

Hell, throw in Saint Mary's as well. If teams like that get in over us we should back out of playing in Battle 4 Atlantis next season and schedule garbage in its place.

God, Wisconsin is frustrating as hell to watch. Foul and flop! Foul and flop!

Hopefully they can win a game in the NCAAs and avoid embarrassing the conference. Though I doubt it. (unless they get to bring along the B1G refs)

Kevtones

Hell, throw in Saint Mary's as well. If teams like that get in over us we should back out of playing in Battle 4 Atlantis next season and schedule garbage in its place.

Yeah I just looked at their resume and it's shit. Aside from the Creighton win, ugh.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think if PJ Hairston knocked the shit out of Henderson, I'd cheer for him. And I fucking can't stand PJ at all.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
St. Mary's has no business in the tournament. Schedule someone ooc, ffs. If they get in, it's because the committee is trying to make it seem like Gonzaga played someone in the last three months.

Top Bottom