• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Avinexus

There's only one ball, Wiggins would be stupid to go to Kentucky. UNC also plays both Kentucky and Duke at home next year, if he wants exposure it's the best choice.

I feel like the era of choosing a school for exposure is long gone. He will be drafted top five next year whether he plays at UNC or Washington State Technical School for the Blind.

Seth C

There's only one ball, Wiggins would be stupid to go to Kentucky. UNC also plays both Kentucky and Duke at home next year, if he wants exposure it's the best choice.

If he wants exposure playing for the recruiting class to topple the Fab 5 would be the best choice. No offense to UNC.

Also, he'd have an entire season to practice against and with the projected 4th, 5th, 6th, 16th, and 20th players in his NBA draft class. If he wants to get better, why not go ahead and spend the extra year playing with an NBA team? He can only do that at one school.

I feel like the era of choosing a school for exposure is long gone. He will be drafted top five next year whether he plays at UNC or Washington State Technical School for the Blind.

That era is in full force. Why else do you think the blue blood programs get so many top tier recruits?

If he wants exposure playing for the recruiting class to topple the Fab 5 would be the best choice. No offense to UNC.

Also, he'd have an entire season to practice against and with the projected 4th, 5th, 6th, 16th, and 20th players in his NBA draft class. If he wants to get better, why not go ahead and spend the extra year player with an NBA team? He can only do that at one school.

Damn, Seth. You should work for Cal's staff.

If Wiggins picks UK, it will be just STUPID crazy. My gut tells me UNC.

Also something to consider: Wiggins plays in Huntington WV, which is 15 minutes away from Ashland KY, probably the number 2 or 3 hot-spot for UK fandom behind the greater Lexington area. He had people come in droves to his games in the area wearing Kentucky gear and chanting his name. Might have an effect, although I'm not even sure if it's right/legal. There was a post on reddit showing the line of people wearing Kentucky stuff to see him play a few months ago. A line... for a high school game, lol.

Avinexus

That era is in full force. Why else do you think the blue blood programs get so many top tier recruits?

That would be more to do with wanting to win, less to do with wanting exposure, imo. Blue bloods have always gotten good recruits, that's partially how they became the blue bloods in the first place.

yeah, that and exposure tend to go hand in hand.

True, but you don't really need a ton of exposure exposure to go high in the draft. 25% of the top 16 in the 2010 draft were from Butler, Fresno State, VCU, and Nevada. There's a lot more scouting now so while NBA teams are probably biased towards the guys who are on TV, it probably doesn't affect things too much now compared to previous years.

Fjordson

$$$$$$$$$
Most people are going to roll their eyes and tell me to GTFO, but I wonder if that sort of thing is going away.

I mean these one and done kids are on campus for less than a calendar year before they're getting lottery pick contracts worth millions. Why risk getting into any sort of trouble with improper benefits? They're going to be walking into way more legit money once their season is over.

I would be hesitant to use "topple" and "Fab Five" together in reference to the current UK superclass. Giants have a habit of living a little toooo large and invariably things have to come back down.

That would be more to do with wanting to win, less to do with wanting exposure, imo. Blue bloods have always gotten good recruits, that's partially how they became the blue bloods in the first place.

Winning and exposure also go hand in hand. It's why someone like Wiggins would never go to a small time school with lesser tier teammates. Big programs have more money and better facilities/staff. All of that adds up to winning, exposure, and more money. They may not choose a school for exposure explicitly, but it's definitely an implicit part of their decision.

Winning and exposure also go hand in hand. It's why someone like Wiggins would never go to a small time school with lesser tier teammates. Big programs have more money and better facilities/staff. All of that adds up to winning, exposure, and more money. They may not choose a school for exposure explicitly, but it's definitely an implicit part of their decision.

Kentucky have become kind of the bad guys of College Basketball. They get exposure win or lose. Shit, probably more when they lose because of the national schadenfreude. (Although obviously Kansas, UNC, Duke, and other major program fans don't really give a shit about UK)

TheNatural

My Member!

Also, he'd have an entire season to practice against and with the projected 4th, 5th, 6th, 16th, and 20th players in his NBA draft class. If he wants to get better, why not go ahead and spend the extra year player with an NBA team? He can only do that at one school.

He's going to be #1 no matter what. The exposure line is crap, it doesn't matter. All these fans arguing "OH GO TO MY TEAM IT WOULD OBVIOUSLY BE BEST" are stupid. It's irrelevant.

His best option by far, if he wants to have *real* competition, make money, and learn to work on his own is go to Europe for a season. He would make enough in one year of Europe that would be the differential between rookie contracts of the overall #1 or the last pick in the draft.

Seth C

I would be hesitant to use "topple" and "Fab Five" together in reference to the current UK superclass. Giants have a habit of living a little toooo large and invariably things have to come back down.

Well all I can tell you is that the class is already rating higher than the Fab 5, going on. There is no guarantee of the outcome, but if Wiggins signs with Kentucky his group are easily better on paper than the Fab 5. To the point it isn't even close. So the hype will be there. So long as one of them doesn't call a timeout to lose a game, I think they'll be okay.

He's going to be #1 no matter what. The exposure line is crap, it doesn't matter. All these fans arguing "OH GO TO MY TEAM IT WOULD OBVIOUSLY BE BEST" are stupid. It's irrelevant.

His best option by far, if he wants to have *real* competition, make money, and learn to work on his own is go to Europe for a season. He would make enough in one year of Europe that would be the differential between rookie contracts of the overall #1 or the last pick in the draft.

I didn't make the exposure argument, but still, he would get the most playing with this class at Kentucky. Going to Europe is a big step, and he would't be playing with anyone who was successful in the NBA. At Kentucky he'd be playing with 4 or 5 NBA lottery picks. If that's what he wants, of course. If he wants to be the lone gunman he can go to FSU.

Well all I can tell you is that the class is already rating higher than the Fab 5, going on. There is no guarantee of the outcome, but if Wiggins signs with Kentucky his group are easily better on paper than the Fab 5. To the point it isn't even close. So the hype will be there. So long as one of them doesn't call a timeout to lose a game, I think they'll be okay.

I was obliquely referencing banners and getting paid with "toppling". No doubt the talent is stacked.

TheNatural

My Member!

I didn't make the exposure argument, but still, he would get the most playing with this class at Kentucky. Going to Europe is a big step, and he would't be playing with anyone who was successful in the NBA. At Kentucky he'd be playing with 4 or 5 NBA lottery picks. If that's what he wants, of course. If he wants to be the lone gunman he can go to FSU.

The guy could go to North Carolina A&T and be #1. Brandon Jennings wasn't even the best high school player, went to Europe, averaged like 7 points and made over $3 million including endorsements in a year. Wiggins with his hype could probably get $5-$6 mil. Good Euro League guys can play, they're well rounded, and would mop the floor with basically any McDonald's All American team any given year. Plus many end up in the draft if they're foreign players.

If his end game is to make money (which obviously is for everyone coming out in a year), be prepared for a pro life, and learn the ropes around veterans and not kids - his best bet is Europe. Everything else in college is splitting hairs.

Agreed, most kids aren't mature enough to handle living and working in a foreign county at 18 years old though. Wiggins could probably handle it, but a large majority of kids aren't able to. I know I wasn't.

Most people are going to roll their eyes and tell me to GTFO, but I wonder if that sort of thing is going away.

I mean these one and done kids are on campus for less than a calendar year before they're getting lottery pick contracts worth millions. Why risk getting into any sort of trouble with improper benefits? They're going to be walking into way more legit money once their season is over.

What risk? The kids get in no actual trouble, most the time this shit isnt even caught until theyre already gone. There's pretty much 0 risk for 1 and ones taking money unless they are crazy out there with it.

TheNatural

My Member!
Agreed, most kids aren't mature enough to handle living and working in a foreign county at 18 years old though. Wiggins could probably handle it, but a large majority of kids aren't. I know I wasn't.

He'll have so many handlers up his ass over there, he wouldn't have to learn a single foreign word. Won't have to pretend to go to class, will live in a suite, get driven to games, and fuck hot European girls.

Bowser

lol didn't notice everyone was posting about Randle to UK in this thread

As I said in the other thread, I can't help but think this eliminates UK from the Wiggins sweepstakes. Too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if any of Goodwin/Poythress/Cauley-Stein return as they intimated last night.

He'll have so many handlers up his ass over there, he wouldn't have to learn a single foreign word. Won't have to pretend to go to class, will live in a suite, get driven to games, and fuck hot European girls.

Mmm, that's what I call living the dream. And you're right he would in all likelihood have all his needs taken care of for him. Hell, if he went to Turkey they'd probably put him up in a palace.

As I said in the other thread, I can't help but think this eliminates UK from the Wiggins sweepstakes. Too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if any of Goodwin/Poythress/Cauley-Stein return as they intimated last night.

I think you are 100% correct.

Fjordson

What risk? The kids get in no actual trouble, most the time this shit isnt even caught until theyre already gone. There's pretty much 0 risk for 1 and ones taking money unless they are crazy out there with it.
Just the risk of it coming out later and looking bad. I mean, what's the point when you're going to be making a ton of money soon?

Maybe I'm being naive about it, but it just seems unnecessary with these kids leaving so soon.

I think so also. Man, doesn't UK play UNC next year? If Wiggins goes to UNC that'll be some must see TV shit.

Just the risk of it coming out later and looking bad. I mean, what's the point when you're going to be making a ton of money soon?

Maybe I'm being naive about it, but it just seems unnecessary with these kids leaving so soon.

Becuase theyre dumb 18 year olds. Think back to when you were 18, if someone said heres $5k take it, you would be all over that. "Kids", i hate calling them kids because theyre not, are short sighted and just see the now.

devilhawk

Cal's system mandates a NBA lottery pick PG. Think going back to Memphis of the one consistency with his good teams.

Kentucky will come down to the Harrison twin PG. If he sucks - they won't make it far.

Fjordson

Like Derrick Rose...
Nah, I'm talking about like school's bribing recruits or whatever. Rose's violation was just cheating on his SAT.

Shouldn't say "just" cheating, that's still bad, but it's not a money issue.

Buck's point was well made, though. Rational thinking says you don't get mixed up with any sort of shady shit and just make your money legit in a year, but I'm thinking on this as an adult with a decent job. As an 18 year old kid I might not think it through like that.

Wiggins and Hairston would probably be the best backcourt UNC has ever had.

Just read that Wiggins' dad grew up in Kinston, NC. It's crazy how much basketball talent that town produces.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nah, I'm talking about like school's bribing recruits or whatever. Rose's violation was just cheating on his SAT.

Shouldn't say "just" cheating, that's still bad, but it's not a money issue.

Buck's point was well made, though. Rational thinking says you don't get mixed up with any sort of shady shit and just make your money legit in a year, but I'm thinking on this as an adult with a decent job. As an 18 year old kid I might not think it through like that.

Getting cash is is the old way of thinking of things. I don't doubt that the cash on demand factor has been pretty much eliminated these days. Read the SI article a few years ago about the football agent coming out on some of the doings. Only the archaic guys were handing out blank checks.

Nowadays its more about people who are essentially boosters illegally recruiting on behalf of someone else. If an 18 year old kid gets approached by Worldwide Wes saying 'hey come play for Cal', or maybe not even having to say it, just giving him a cell phone and letting him talk to Lebron, Jay Z, or whoever - and enticing him to be in that clique for the future, what's he going to do? Be in a clique of powerful people, join the Creative Artists Agency, or whatever - or just be another college kid - the option is simple.

Guys like Kidd-Gilcrest hanging out with the guy in his freshman year of high school at Memphis games, or Anthony Davis running to hug the guy in the stands after winning the NCAA title, aren't doing it because he's got on a patent on head gloss.

TheNatural

My Member!
In related news:

Syracuse University basketball has been under NCAA investigation for a period of “years,” a source with knowledge of the case told CBSSports.com.

That source said the school has received a letter of preliminary inquiry from the NCAA.

The specific nature of the alleged violations was not disclosed by the source but the transgressions were described as both major and wide-ranging in nature. The investigation also encompasses football but is believed to primarily involve basketball. Syracuse has been penalized only once by the NCAA in a major case according to the association's legislative database. That was in 1992 in a case that focused on extra benefits in the basketball program.

The ongoing investigation has apparently grown larger in scope. When asked to characterize how wide-ranging the probe might be, a source with knowledge of the case told CBSSports.com: “Throw a dart at the [NCAA] Manual [and you would hit a violation by Syracuse]."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...01/syracuse-hoops-under-investigation-by-ncaa

That's a bombshell. Not to late to deport their asses to the America 12, ACC.

Having too much talent never hurt any quality recruit.

If he ends up playing with guys that are going lotto for sure it results in a less likelihood of you getting fucked by the Lacedarius Dunns of the world who look to get a ride to the NBA just by stealing your shine.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Also, he'd have an entire season to practice against and with the projected 4th, 5th, 6th, 16th, and 20th players in his NBA draft class. If he wants to get better, why not go ahead and spend the extra year playing with an NBA team? He can only do that at one school.

Aren't most of your players coming back this year cept Nerlens? Thats a lot of players for not a lot of ball, especially considering the Harrison twins reputation.

I hear rumors that Wiljter was being forced out. We'll take him.

If Kentucky were to get Wiggins too...
lapierre-woo.gif

Would love to watch a UK practice next year, McD's All-American games every day.

Fjordson

Aren't most of your players coming back this year cept Nerlens? Thats a lot of players for not a lot of ball, especially considering the Harrison twins reputation.

Lmao. You don't want Wiltjer! An inferior Ryan Kelly.

Alright, that's mean. He's had some great games and is an offensive beast, but you might as well be playing 5 on 4 when he's on defense and he routinely gets outworked on the glass. I can't even begin to think how many times I've seen him give up an offensive rebound.

I will be interested in seeing who comes back next year. I'd love for Goodwin, Noel, and Cauley-Stein to come back, but Noel is most likely gone. Goodwin is saying he's not ready for the NBA so he may well be back. Which will be a good thing. It's been a bad year and Goodwin has had some bad games, but ironically he's been playing well ever since our win over Mizzou. And he gives max effort and doesn't back down from physical play (unlike Harrow and Poythress).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I swear I've been hearing rumors for a few years that the NCAA would be coming down on Syracuse in a major way. It's going to be interesting seeing how they get treated by the media.

They're going to wait until Boeheim retires before lowering the boom. The NCAA enforcement division is pathetic.

Lmao. You don't want Wiltjer! An inferior Ryan Kelly.

Alright, that's mean. He's had some great games and is an offensive beast, but you might as well be playing 5 on 4 when he's on defense and he routinely gets outworked on the glass. I can't even begin to think how many times I've seen him give up an offensive rebound.

I don't think you realize how dire our frontcourt situation potentially will be next year. With Kelly and Mason Plumlee graduating, we're relying on Marshall Plumlee (who needs to bulk up or will be injured again all next year), Amile Jefferson ( who I really like in terms of rebounding and defense, but is undersized and offensively limited), and Josh Hairston (who is Josh Hairston).

We'll be ballin on the wings tho so it's all good.

Fjordson

I don't think you realize how dire our frontcourt situation potentially will be next year. With Kelly and Mason Plumlee graduating, we're relying on Marshall Plumlee (who needs to bulk up or will be injured again all next year), Amile Jefferson ( who I really like in terms of rebounding and defense, but is undersized and offensively limited), and Josh Hairston (who is Josh Hairston).

Yeah, you're going to be good. Jabari Parker is going to be a beast. From his highlights and watching a few games of his on ESPN he reminds me of Carmelo. Can shoot it and overpower people inside. And I've heard dozens of times at this point that Matt Jones is easily the best shooter in the class.

Bowser

I've read rumors that Jefferson may transfer...

I've read rumors that Jefferson may transfer...

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he got nearly as much as run as he should have, especially when Kelly was still out and he was the third option inside.

I hope he doesn't, because I do like him as a player, but it wouldn't shock me to see him join the list of victims of K's love for short rotations. Along with Slient G last year.

Seth C

You don't want KWiltJ, really. Unless you're more interested in YouTube videos than basketball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_9_9Ax7N3M&list=UULejc9s3NQ19e7ZfG7gGnsg&index=6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_4KkT8J9WQ&list=UULejc9s3NQ19e7ZfG7gGnsg&index=8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CLI4H1j8eQ&list=UULejc9s3NQ19e7ZfG7gGnsg&index=18

Fjordson

Hahaha. Kyle has pretty nice flow in that first one.

Honestly, I hope Wiltjer comes back. Guys playing for multiple years is always a positive and Wiltjer has lots of potential.

Top Bottom