• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Overall happy that we didn't give up. With a little more experience and if we can get Harrow healthy and not sucking we should be in good shape.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Tip of the cap to the UK fans here. I've always been glad that even though we have a strong dislike of our respective teams, we can post here and act like normal civil people.

Don't sell your team short this year.

iamblades

This is a coaching/strategy loss IMO.

When Plumlee went out with his 4th and we started force feeding the post even though our big guys aren't post players yet and our guards can't make post entry passes reliably is when we lost the game. Several possessions of inept offense in a row allowed duke to get the margin too high to claw back in the end, came up just short. It would be a good idea at the end of the year when those guys are offensive threats, right now it just kills all offensive flow.

The bad plays by Goodwin at the end didn't help, but that's just too much to expect a young guy to perform in that situation this early.

I like the signs of what this team can look like in march though. Poythress is a MAN. Spell M, A, N. MAN.

Fjordson

Props to Duke. You guys handled your business after our run. Some really nice play from Curry there at the end. Especially the drive where he got Noel up in the air with that hesitation move.

I like that Noel and Poythress played worlds better than they did against Maryland. Poythress especially will be a beast once he gets a bit more sure of himself on offense.

I just hope Harrow can give us something at point guard. We need someone who knows how to run things, and then that'll allow Goodwin to play the 2-guard. Would also love to see Wiltjer get some more shots on the perimeter.

Owensboro

Well that was about what I expected from UK. I'm honestly surprised they were able to come back near the end and make it a close game, but I never did expect them to win.

The worst part of the game were the completely drunk asshat UK fans directly behind me who were screaming all kinds of obscenities the entire game, and then the Duke fans four rows up who decided that every time duke hit a 3 they had to stand up, turn around, and act like the biggest badasses in the building. God, I just hate drunk boisterous fans. Why can't we all just enjoy a game? Telling Kentucky to "fucking drive the ball you pussies" doesn't help anyone and makes you look like a jackass.

So how long until uk is unranked?

Well, they never should have been top 10 to begin with, but unranked? They'd have to drop the Notre Dame, Baylor, and one other game before the Lousiville game to completely drop out of the top 25 I'd expect. It's possible! I expect UK to lose around 7-9 games this year, so they have to come at some point.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This is a coaching/strategy loss IMO.

When Plumlee went out with his 4th and we started force feeding the post even though our big guys aren't post players yet and our guards can't make post entry passes reliably is when we lost the game. Several possessions of inept offense in a row allowed duke to get the margin too high to claw back in the end, came up just short. It would be a good idea at the end of the year when those guys are offensive threats, right now it just kills all offensive flow.

The bad plays by Goodwin at the end didn't help, but that's just too much to expect a young guy to perform in that situation this early.

I like the signs of what this team can look like in march though. Poythress is a MAN. Spell M, A, N. MAN.

Poythress is a beast, no doubt. You can't blame Cal though. You have two players at 7'0 being guarded by someone 6'8. You have to try attacking down low.

Fjordson

Watching some ESPN this morning, and I've seen the highlights from last night a few times now.

They keep showing that dagger towards the end where Curry made Noel look like a fool with that hesitation move. And then he's smirking as he goes back down the court after he scores.

Feels bad man.

thefro

So IU's supposed to sign 6 players today even though we only have 3 scholarship seniors.

Crean is basically like a SEC FB coach in terms of oversigning

Bowser

UVA lost to Delaware and Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast last night?

Jesus, the ACC is going to blow this year.

And as much as it pains me to say it, Duke's winning the ACC this year. State is overrated.

DominoKid

ACC ball is going to be fun this year.

if by fun you mean a motherfucking eyesore to watch then yeah. i still think we'll win the acc this year. duke aint shit and state aint shit.

i'll cherish this last year of true big east ball. hopefully cuse and pitt dont get chumped as soon as they set foot in the acc.

Avinexus

Props to Duke. You guys handled your business after our run. Some really nice play from Curry there at the end. Especially the drive where he got Noel up in the air with that hesitation move.

I like that Noel and Poythress played worlds better than they did against Maryland. Poythress especially will be a beast once he gets a bit more sure of himself on offense.

I just hope Harrow can give us something at point guard. We need someone who knows how to run things, and then that'll allow Goodwin to play the 2-guard. Would also love to see Wiltjer get some more shots on the perimeter.

I think anyone could get Noel and WCS in the air. They are so undisciplined. Anytime someone drives into the lane you see two or three UK players going for the block.

Poythress is definitely going to be good though, he actually reminds me a slightly less muscular Azubuike.

Good showing for UK though I think, especially after how bad they played against Maryland.

scoobs

Kentucky will destroy Duke if they meet again in March. I think the two teams that lost last night have way way more upside than the teams that beat them.

Proelite

Kentucky will destroy Duke if they meet again in March. I think the two teams that lost last night have way way more upside than the teams that beat them.

Chances are well meet again in 5 years. If we meet in the tournament i did be ecstatic since that means we made the final four.

Fjordson

I think anyone could get Noel and WCS in the air. They are so undisciplined. Anytime someone drives into the lane you see two or three UK players going for the block.
Very true. We aren't great defensively yet. At least not consistently.

Though I have to say, Nerlens showed up to play. Especially compared to the Maryland game.

16 points, 8 boards, 4 steals, 3 blocks, 2 assists. 6-8 from the line, only a single turnover, and just three fouls. And he played 38 minutes. Not bad against a top 10 team.

Comapre that to Plumlee. Plumlee was more efficient scoring with 18 points in 29 minutes, but he only had 3 rebounds, less steals and blocks, five turnovers, and he fouled out.

mbmonk

I want to apologize to UNC GAF for losing to Duke. :p

Congrats to Duke. I thought Duke played great defense. And Coach K really has a great offensive system that fits his players ( or vice versa ). Great job by K last night.

I thought Kentucky played well w/o a true point. Duke did a great job on their help defense and Kentucky was mostly unable to exploit it. Once they get some experience playing together and running the offense I think they will be able to make teams pay for helping off of their man. All things considered I was pretty happy with how UK played.

PS: Sulaimon's quickness surprised me. The kid seems like a great player.

Bucknell looking good this year, could make the tournament without the automatic buy-in of winning the Patriot League. Just beat George Mason last night.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
if by fun you mean a motherfucking eyesore to watch then yeah. i still think we'll win the acc this year. duke aint shit and state aint shit.

Uh, did you watch your games vs Shaw or Gardner Webb? Not exactly inspiring much fear in the ACC. If you hadn't noticed, you don't have a high quality banger down low (ithats not JMM's style) you don't have an elite PG and your depth is your shooting guards. Not exactly a team I'd think Roy knows how to win with. You could argue he had better talent in 2010, though I'll concede Paige is probably better than Turnover Jesus

chris121580

Impossible not to love Vonleh. He signed today with IU:

Rivals 2013 No. 7 Noah Vonleh signed with Indiana today and talked about his goals of winning a national championship, how Tom Crean's player development program led to his decision to play for the Hoosiers.

Vonleh highlights the Hoosiers No. 3-ranked 2013 recruiting class and brings one of the most multifaceted big men in the country to the Indiana basketball program.

Capable of playing in the paint and as a guard, Vonleh wants his versatility to flourish at IU.

"I don't want to have any numbers on my position, Vonleh said when asked if he was a two, three or a four. "I want to be a basketball player."

During a webcast from New Hampton Prep in N.H., Vonleh answered a number of questions, including several from Peegs.com prior to the webcast.

As he told Peegs.com Saturday night when he committed, Vonleh reiterated that seeing coach Tom Crean in practice made him feel IU was the place that would get him ready for the NBA.

"In practice, he has a lot of drills that he does like pick and roll, pick and pop, pick and slip," Vonleh said. "Me doing those things in practice will really help me get ready for the next level. Doing a lot of guard work will help me get ready."

Vonleh said a key moment for him was when he watched practice, Indiana did everything Crean and assistant Kenny Johnson told him the Hoosiers would do.

"They recruited me the hardest," Vonleh said. "Everything they said they do to get their players ready for the next level, they did in their practices."

At 6-foot-9 and 222 pounds but capable of handling the ball, Vonleh will have freedom at IU.

"Coach Crean said if I get the rebound, I can bring it up and start the offense," Vonleh said. "They have Yogi Ferrell, who's a very good point guard. If he's pushing it, I can be the trailer."

Vonleh initially planned to make Indiana his first visit, but after being on campus, he decided it was the only one he needed to take.

"Everything stuck out about them," Vonleh said. "He does a lot of things I feel will help me get better. I felt I didn't need to visit anywhere else."

Vonleh joins a class that includes Troy Williams, Stanford Robinson, Devin Davis, Collin Hartman and Luke Fischer.

Vonleh knows Davis from AAU competition. Vonleh also was with Robinson at LeBron Camp and was with Williams at the NBPA Top 100 camp.

Vonleh is aware he has the potential to be in the NBA after one season in college. He's going to IU, however, with a focus on winning and developing.

"However long it takes me to get to the NBA is however long it takes me," Vonleh said. "My goals will be to win a national championship and try to get myself high in the mock drafts."

Vonleh visited Indiana over the weekend, attending Friday night's basketball game.

"The fans, they made me feel really welcome," he said. "They were chanting my name, 'We want Noah.' I was really happy about that, how their fans make recruits feel welcomed into their school."

Before the end of his news conference, Vonleh looked at the camera and said:

"I'm happy to be a Hoosier, and I can't wait to see you all in Bloomington next year."

pxleyes

Banned
Well that was fun.
mZ6O9.jpg

Those look like great seats. But seriously, why is the arena so empty? Even if it's during football season I can't imagine not being able to fill every one of those 12,000 seats.

Fan up, Gata!

Those look like great seats. But seriously, why is the arena so empty? Even if it's during football season I can't imagine not being able to fill every one of those 12,000 seats.

Fan up, Gata!

10 times better than Georgia's crowd. Kentucky and maybe Vanderbilt are the only programs in the SEC that are passionate about basketball. (It helps to have shitty football teams ) Florida and the other teams get interest from their fans when their team is doing well.

scoobs

Fan up, Gata!

SEC schools tend to have a hard time generating interest in CBB, except for kentucky, they have nothing to cheer for in CFB

SEC schools tend to have a hard time generating interest in CBB, except for kentucky, they have nothing to cheer for in CFB

Even still, Kentucky does a decent job of showing up for football games most years. The last two years have been an exception since there's been a concerted effort to send a message to the AD about coaching, but I'm certain we've been ranked in the top 25 of attendance nearly every year since Commonwealth expanded in the late 90s. If we were even a middling SEC team we'd be packing the place (and still do when we're not playing Poop State).

What's odd is a team that's in contention for a championship (and has a recent run of success) unable to get people to show up to nationally televised matchups against top 25 teams. I don't mean this as a slight to passionate Gata fans—obviously any UF fans here represent the best type of fan and don't get any grief from me. It just seems crazy on a general level that there aren't even enough casual basketball fans around to fill up 12,000 seats for big games.

DominoKid

state has a lot of talent this year. they better get it done (win the acc reg season. lets be reasonable.) cause if not it's nba mass exodus.

TheNatural

My Member!
We look pretty beastly. I know it's shit competition, but we look a lot smoother starting the year out instead of past years when it seemed like we had to get kinks out constantly to be good by year's end. Going to be interesting how we do against most likely Mizzou and Duke/Memphis next week.

Top Bottom