• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Crisco

Banned
state has a lot of talent this year. they better get it done (win the acc reg season. lets be reasonable.) cause if not it's nba mass exodus.

Meh, we know Leslie and Brown are gone after this year. Howell and Wood are also seniors. Other than that, no one else is a threat to leave. No matter how good Purvis looks, he's still just a 6'3" shooting guard. Him and Warren are 2 year guys at least.

We are crazy talented though. We played like shit in that game yet still won in dominating fashion. Brown was especially shitty which usually means the whole team struggles. Sky is the limit if we just keep improving.

alstein

Meh, we know Leslie and Brown are gone after this year. Howell and Wood are also seniors. Other than that, no one else is a threat to leave. No matter how good Purvis looks, he's still just a 6'3" shooting guard. Him and Warren are 2 year guys at least.

We are crazy talented though. We played like shit in that game yet still won in dominating fashion. Brown was especially shitty which usually means the whole team struggles. Sky is the limit if we just keep improving.

Gott's got more coming in so next year's team will be young but capable.

I just hope nothing derails what could be a bright future.

scoobs

Ku sure looking like a top 10 team tonight.

Super young team, going to take some time to get the offense flowing but the ceiling is very high for this team to grow. Also, Ben McLemore is better than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBc_3Zz-C6w

189684_10152253630895442_1424995430_n.jpg

Look out for this guy, hes going to score a few points and potentially break the NCAA dunk record

EDIT: Figured I'd include this too

mbmonk

Super young team, going to take some time to get the offense flowing but the ceiling is very high for this team to grow. Also, Ben McLemore is better than most.

In what sense specifically do you mean when you say "Super young". KU is starting 3 seniors along with the 2 freshman.

Do you mean the overall age of the team is young?

jayhawker

In what sense specifically do you mean when you say "Super young". You are starting 3 seniors along with the 2 freshman.

Do you mean the overall age of the team is young?

We are starting three seniors, and they're all incredible defenders, but none of them are guys who use possessions on offense. Withey and Releford mostly score on lobs and offensive rebounds, and EJ was basically just a guy who stood at the 3 point line and shot it when Ty passed him the ball last year. He has the capability of creating, but he's never had to do it.

That means our guys who make stuff happen are freshman--Mclemore, Ellis, Traylor--and then EJ, who's a senior but is learning a new role. We'll get a lot better. Our defensive ceiling with this team is probably close to the 2007 team's high. It's our half-court offense that is going to struggle until league play. In the meantime, we'll grind out a few ugly games.

Wellscha

Guys, could anyone recommend me a college basketball game for the 360 with a good dynasty mode?

man, watching so many college basketball games got me really amped up.

fuck EA

Amory

Man, the Paradise Jam is one crappy tournament. UConn really should cruise to victory, but it would've been cool to have another ranked team to play against. I'm a little worried about Wake Forest tonight, though.

On the other hand, pretty good chance to pick up a second trophy in a season where we're not really supposed to win any trophies.

alstein

Man, the Paradise Jam is one crappy tournament. UConn really should cruise to victory, but it would've been cool to have another ranked team to play against. I'm a little worried about Wake Forest tonight, though.

On the other hand, pretty good chance to pick up a second trophy in a season where we're not really supposed to win any trophies.

Don't worry about Wake, they're terrible these days. Bottom has fallen out of that program the last couple of years.

mbmonk

We are starting three seniors, and they're all incredible defenders, but none of them are guys who use possessions on offense. Withey and Releford mostly score on lobs and offensive rebounds, and EJ was basically just a guy who stood at the 3 point line and shot it when Ty passed him the ball last year. He has the capability of creating, but he's never had to do it.

That means our guys who make stuff happen are freshman--Mclemore, Ellis, Traylor--and then EJ, who's a senior but is learning a new role. We'll get a lot better. Our defensive ceiling with this team is probably close to the 2007 team's high. It's our half-court offense that is going to struggle until league play. In the meantime, we'll grind out a few ugly games.

I am not attempting to be overly argumentative on this topic, and I appreciate the breakdown of KU. I think it was insightful, but that doesn't really explain why this team is "super young". Unless I missed the general thrust of your post. Which is about 98% likely. :)

When I hear super young I think a starting 5 of all sophomores & freshmen. Or maybe single Jr or Sr in the mix. But when the majority of your starting 5 are seniors calling that lineup super young seems like stretch. Of course I pull for UK so that could skew my perception on the matter. :)

I completely admit there is no stringent definition of a super young team. So I think it is up for debate. Just for me personally, I don't think starting 3 seniors fits that phrase.

EDIT: In you post are you saying that they are super young offensively and not necessarily age/experience wise?

Guys, could anyone recommend me a college basketball game for the 360 with a good dynasty mode?

man, watching so many college basketball games got me really amped up.

fuck EA

51rnlr0ccRL._AA300_.jpg

Last College BB game that I am aware of. I admit I haven't played it. There might be some college mods for the PC versions of NBA 2k12 and 2k13.

devilhawk

I am not attempting to be overly argumentative on this topic, and I appreciate the breakdown of KU. I think it was insightful, but that doesn't really explain why this team is "super young". Unless I missed the general thrust of your post. Which is about 98% likely. :)

When I hear super young I think a starting 5 of all sophomores & freshmen. Or maybe single Jr or Sr in the mix. But when the majority of your starting 5 are seniors calling that lineup super young seems like stretch. Of course I pull for UK so that could skew my perception on the matter. :)

I completely admit there is no stringent definition of a super young team. So I think it is up for debate. Just for me personally, I don't think starting 3 seniors fits that phrase.
It qualifies because KU is integrating 9 freshman into team (2 of them RS). The starting seniors have traditionally been role players and not main focuses. It would not shock me if Releford and even Withey are not starting by years end. KU will only go as far as McLemore and Ellis take us. Withey is not an offensive post presence, EJ has not played point before this year and typically only was a spot up shooter, and Releford is the definition of an on-ball defender role player. The scorers, the go-to guys will be freshmen. 9 Freshmen is a lot, you must agree to that.

It would not shock me if Releford and even Withey are not starting by years end. KU will only go as far as McLemore and Ellis take us. Withey is not an offensive post presence, EJ has not played point before this year and typically only was a spot up shooter, and Releford is the definition of an on-ball defender role player.

I hope you're wrong on Withey. We really need his presence down low on defense, and I'm still hopeful he can be somewhat productive offensively, even if he doesn't have T-Rob to draw the double teams.

mbmonk

It qualifies because KU is integrating 9 freshman into team (2 of them RS). The starting seniors have traditionally been role players and not main focuses. It would not shock me if Releford and even Withey are not starting by years end. KU will only go as far as McLemore and Ellis take us. Withey is not an offensive post presence, EJ has not played point before this year and typically only was a spot up shooter, and Releford is the definition of an on-ball defender role player. The scorers, the go-to guys will be freshmen. 9 Freshmen is a lot, you must agree to that.

I would agree with that. I specifically asked that question in my first post on the matter. I looked at KU's roster and it is very young overall. It's just not young in terms of the players they put on the floor to start the game.

thefro

I would agree with that. I specifically asked that question in my first post on the matter. I looked at KU's roster and it is very young overall. It's just not young in terms of the players they put on the floor to start the game.

That's true, but when they're asked to take on much bigger roles at the beginning of the season (which starts about a week earlier than it used to), it's still a big adjustment.

Even Indiana looked out of sync in their first couple games, and they brought back nearly their whole team. That's because they're playing a pressing defense now, have other players who've expanded their games and are trying to do new things (Zeller, Oladipo, Sheehey), and also have new players to work in with everyone (or a returning player from injury like Creek who's basically a new player).

jayhawker

EDIT: In you post are you saying that they are super young offensively and not necessarily age/experience wise?

I didn't actually make the comment originally, but I'd say we are extremely inexperienced at making offensive plays in the half court, and that our two main half-court playmakers are going to be Ben Mclemore and Perry Ellis, both of whom are freshman.

I'd also say a big part of Bill Self's offense is feeding the post and big-to-big passing. Our post passes have been downright terrible, mostly due to our freshman bigs not posting right. And our big-to-big passing is almost non-existent right now, mostly due to our freshman bigs and Withey all being unfamiliar with each other.

It would not shock me if Releford and even Withey are not starting by years end.

Whaaaat? Releford can't shoot so far this year and he's made a couple bad passes, but his hustle plays and defense have been outstanding, even better than last year. Withey is also playing better than last year, especially considering he's not standing next to ThoR.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Next years Puerto Rico Tip Off field has been set....

Auburn, Charlotte, Florida State, Georgetown, Kansas State, Long Beach State, Michigan and VCU will duke it out in PR next year.

Amory

51rnlr0ccRL._AA300_.jpg

Last College BB game that I am aware of. I admit I haven't played it. There might be some college mods for the PC versions of NBA 2k12 and 2k13.

51I8idxCLeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

EA put out NCAA Basketball 10...I used to think it was OK, but the NBA 2k series absolutely ruined it for me. The controls just feel so loose, and the presentation is lifeless.

I'm surprised college basketball games aren't popular, a ton of people hate the NBA but are college die-hards. If 2k would release a college game with the same presentation values and gameplay of the NBA series...oh man. I'd be all over that.

TheNatural

My Member!

EA put out NCAA Basketball 10...I used to think it was OK, but the NBA 2k series absolutely ruined it for me. The controls just feel so loose, and the presentation is lifeless.

I'm surprised college basketball games aren't popular, a ton of people hate the NBA but are college die-hards. If 2k would release a college game with the same presentation values and gameplay of the NBA series...oh man. I'd be all over that.

They sold pretty well too if I remember correctly. The only thing that seemed to stall this whole videogame series out was when Ed O Bannon and ex player wanted to sue for their likeness. Then suddenly the series stopped.

Yeah the NCAA Football series is still going, but it makes so much, and features of players likeness don't have to be too in depth because they're under a helmet and padding, so there's plausible deniability there I think. I hope next gen the series comes back though.

Karakand

The NCAA and UCLA have resolved the eligibility case of Shabazz Muhammad. UCLA acknowledged amateurism violations occurred and asked the NCAA on Friday afternoon to reinstate Muhammad. The university required the student-athlete to miss 10 percent of the season (three games) and repay approximately $1,600 in impermissible benefits. The NCAA agreed the actions taken by the university were sufficient. Because Muhammad has already sat out three games, he is now eligible to compete.

Bowser

Kennedy Meeks (#20 ESPN Top 100, #2 C) committed to UNC a few minutes ago. Telep says that gives up a top 5 class. Wiggins (pipe dream) would make that top 2 easily. But he's UK bound :(

Fjordson

Is Noel hurt? Not getting the UK game here in California of course, but they had a live look-in on ESPN 2 and it looked like he was on the bench with some trainers. Was surprised to see him out of the game since there was like 16 minutes still left in the first half.

iamblades

Is Noel hurt? Not getting the UK game here in California of course, but they had a live look-in on ESPN 2 and it looked like he was on the bench with some trainers. Was surprised to see him out of the game since there was like 16 minutes still left in the first half.

No, he played a bunch of minutes the rest of the game, ended with 15 7 4 and 4. I think he might have slightly tweaked a hip or something when he landed awkward or something, saw a grimace. But he didn't leave the game immediately and the announcers didn't even mention it so it must've not been serious.

Fjordson

No, he played a bunch of minutes the rest of the game, ended with 15 7 4 and 4. I think he might have slightly tweaked a hip or something when he landed awkward or something, saw a grimace. But he didn't leave the game immediately and the announcers didn't even mention it so it must've not been serious.
Oh okay, good. Got worried for a second there :lol

how did they look? No Harrow again?

mbmonk

Kennedy Meeks (#20 ESPN Top 100, #2 C) committed to UNC a few minutes ago.

6'9" 275lbs. He is a chunky monkey with a busted Nerlins Noel flatop :p

kenneydmeeks.jpg

I have a feeling Roy is going to burn off the baby fat in rather short order. I will be interested in seeing how good he is once he drops the weight.

Congrats.

mbmonk

Doh! Good call. I didn't bother to look at EA games. Thanks.

iamblades

Oh okay, good. Got worried for a second there :lol

how did they look? No Harrow again?

Looked great offensively again.

Occasional breakdowns on hustle plays and defensive breakdowns late in the shot clock because someone stopped playing, but overall they looked good. Forced way more turnovers than Cal's teams usually do, which may be something they have to do later on in certain matchups if they aren't going to be able to play lock down defense for the shot clock and most importantly, get defensive boards.

Poythress continued playing like a beast, and Wiltjer played much more aggressively offensively. Goodwin was robbed of a spectacular dunk and played well aside from a little sloppy ball handling for a short stretch. Noel was getting in the passing lanes all night and showed some good interior passing skills, ending with 4 assists and 4 steals.

DominoKid

6'9" 275lbs. He is a chunky monkey with a busted Nerlins Noel flatop :p

kenneydmeeks.jpg

I have a feeling Roy is going to burn off the baby fat in rather short order. I will be interested in seeing how good he is once he drops the weight.

Congrats.

Roy gonna make him a svelte beast.

It's weird watching paige. Ive gotten too used to how kendall saw the game.

PJ cant shoot at all.

DominoKid

well i was gonna rage if UNC kept playing like the first half since i gave up a friday night for em. but they played alright in the second half.

still have a few fundamental quibbles and most of them center around player development.
- why is mcadoo still launching shots with no idea of his court position?
- why is dex's jumper different based off a foot of distance?
-- while im on dex's jumper, WHY THE FUCK DOES HE STILL SHOOT FADERS?
- while i'm on jumper form, why does pj still have a leg kick?
-- why does pj shoot the ball like it's hot?
- how come none of our two's can do anything on the ball?
i could go on but you get the point.

like...wtf are roy and co teaching these kids?
or maybe it's a skillset identification (recruiting) problem?

but yeah. it was a comfortable win. i enjoyed the second half. that's who we need to be.
light em up from the outside and mcadoo beast on the interior

THANK YOU BASED GROCE

You haven't lived until you stay up till 2:10 am to watch your team win in overtime over Hawaii on what is probably the worst web stream since realplayer

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
THANK YOU BASED GROCE

You haven't lived until you stay up till 2:10 am to watch your team win in overtime over Hawaii on what is probably the worst web stream since realplayer

I've been following the score on yahoo. The stream was completely worthless.

DJ finally got his head out of his ass.

I've been following the score on yahoo. The stream was completely worthless.

DJ finally got his head out of his ass.
The rebounding was so, so bad. The next week of practice will presumably be 100% box out drills, because to be honest it would've been an easy win if the Illini had rebounded like an actual basketball team.

A missed Hawaii FT was basically an automatic offensive board.

e: I should add, i found a awesome renegade stream with about 2 minutes left in regulation. Instead of the official one's minutes of buffering interrupted by an occasional picture, it was seconds of video interrupted by random disconnects. Got the job done though

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
well i was gonna rage if UNC kept playing like the first half since i gave up a friday night for em. but they played alright in the second half.

still have a few fundamental quibbles and most of them center around player development.
- why is mcadoo still launching shots with no idea of his court position?
- why is dex's jumper different based off a foot of distance?
-- while im on dex's jumper, WHY THE FUCK DOES HE STILL SHOOT FADERS?
- while i'm on jumper form, why does pj still have a leg kick?
-- why does pj shoot the ball like it's hot?
- how come none of our two's can do anything on the ball?
i could go on but you get the point.

like...wtf are roy and co teaching these kids?
or maybe it's a skillset identification (recruiting) problem?

but yeah. it was a comfortable win. i enjoyed the second half. that's who we need to be.
light em up from the outside and mcadoo beast on the interior

Your team looked like hot garbage. If you had played anyone in the top 50, you would have lost, easily.

jakncoke

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me. We're about to lose to Oakland, another one of those seasons. /sigh

edit; holy shit going to be epic end

OMG YOU FUCKING SHIT YOU TRAVELING CUNT

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

edit; cant believe we wont 10. also we're going to get fucked on wed hard. 25 pt loss incoming

Top Bottom