• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

If Wiggins goes to UK, congratulations to the 2014 NCAA Champion University of Kentucky Wildcats.

That or the most disappointing season for any team in the history of the sport. Paired with so epic a meltdown that they'll have to invent a new word for how bad it is.

Can't wait.

Fjordson

Gordon to Arizona unsurprisingly. Awesome pickup for them. He's right there with Wiggins for most athleticism in the class.

DominoKid

Yall should look up this stuff about Rutgers coach Mike Rice acting a fool in practice. This is wild. Throwing balls at players heads, cursing them out, calling them faggots, getting physical w/ them, etc. Jeremy Schaap clowned the shit out of their AD on OTL. And the dude that snitched it on it all got fired last year.

Yall should look up this stuff about Rutgers coach Mike Rice acting a fool in practice. This is wild. Throwing balls at players heads, cursing them out, calling them faggots, getting physical w/ them, etc. Jeremy Schaap clowned the shit out of their AD on OTL. And the dude that snitched it on it all got fired last year.

Just now seeing some stories on it. I wonder if the person that got fired would be eligible for whistle-blower protection/lawsuits too.

TheNatural

My Member!
Just now seeing some stories on it. I wonder if the person that got fired would be eligible for whistle-blower protection/lawsuits too.

The whistleblower is Eric Murdock, and he's the one making the lawsuit because HE got fired. I think the fact that it's coming from an ex pro who played 9 seasons in the league shows it's not just some typical BS.

The whistleblower is Eric Murdock, and he's the one making the lawsuit because HE got fired. I think the fact that it's coming from an ex pro who played 9 seasons in the league shows it's not just some typical BS.

Ok yeah, that's what I meant. So damn Rutgers can definitely get it from a few angles.

jakncoke

Banned
So on the radio today on the way home that one scum ref that was fixing games in nba or whatever was talking about point shaving in basketball and how he has a source that a major d1 school shaved at least 10 games last season. Unsure to believe him or not

So on the radio today on the way home that one scum ref that was fixing games in nba or whatever was talking about point shaving in basketball and how he has a source that a major d1 school shaved at least 10 games last season. Unsure to believe him or not

Tim Donaghy? His allegations against the league he was active in weren't even taken all that seriously (rightly or wrongly).

Draxal

What the fuck? Who would play this fucker in college?

I'm shocked he didn't get hit by one of his players.

There's a topic in ot about this right now, today I learned that Rick Majerus pooped in a towel.

But yeah, Mike Rice is kinda ape shit crazy.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hearing rumors that Rodney Purvis wants to transfer to Louisville, but with them joining the ACC soon I wonder if they will let him. So glad we chose Rasheed.

Fjordson

#pac12refs

Aaron Gordon ruined my day.

At least we still have NWG. We should just run 4 guards and Shawn Kemp Jr./Perris Blackwell next season.
NWG is nice. Won the 3 point contest at McDonald's All-American game.

edit: Alex Poythress coming back to Kentucky next year. Very nice.

DominoKid

Hearing rumors that Rodney Purvis wants to transfer to Louisville, but with them joining the ACC soon I wonder if they will let him. So glad we chose Rasheed.

yesterday i saw they're blocking all current & future conference members so no louisville. he should've just went there in the first place but i guess his people wouldnt let him out of town.

Fjordson

Same as WCS, not a good move. Great for UK though.
Poythress will have lots of draft competition since he's basically a small forward, but the more I look at it the more I think it makes sense for WCS.

He's somewhere around 10-12 on most mock drafts and I can see him basically staying in the 10-15 range for the '14 draft. There aren't really any big men at the top of the '13 class. Dakari Johnson is the highest ranked center, but he's also coming to UK and most people think he'll play two years in college.

Anyone watching the McD's All-American Dunk contest on ESPN? I'm jealous of Duke now man, Jabari Parker fucking gets up. He must have lost a little weight or something, because he's way more athletic than what he looked like on TV in his games earlier this year.

TheNatural

My Member!

I don't want his fucking ass. He missed his chance, kid is a headcase, he committed here before and then ditched us when an assistant moved. Now we're doing great and he wants back in? Nope.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone watching the McD's All-American Dunk contest on ESPN? I'm jealous of Duke now man, Jabari Parker fucking gets up. He must have lost a little weight or something, because he's way more athletic than what he looked like on TV in his games earlier this year.

I watched some of it on Youtube. To be honest I didn't think Jabari's ups were anything crazy. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Plumlees (not joking, Miles' vertical was 40" when measured at the draft combine, and IIRC Mason either won or was runner-up for his year's contest and almost dunked 3 balls in one dunk)

Maybe you saw him on TV when he was just recovering from his injury? He's definitely improved his athleticism back to where it was pre-injury so that could account for the difference you noticed.

lush

Poythress will have lots of draft competition since he's basically a small forward, but the more I look at it the more I think it makes sense for WCS.

He's somewhere around 10-12 on most mock drafts and I can see him basically staying in the 10-15 range for the '14 draft. There aren't really any big men at the top of the '13 class. Dakari Johnson is the highest ranked center, but he's also coming to UK and most people think he'll play two years in college.

Why come back then? It's just not a good decision or advice, whatever. They especially don't have to look far to see how fragile their careers can be.

Yeah, the Ware injury really sort of undermines the whole "I love college" deal. Yeah, it's a freak accident, but if you don't intend to stay long enough to get your degree anyway, and your stock has no real chance of improving, go. Get that money this year, and start the clock ticking for that second contract.

Man, just thinking about that leg, I still don't understand how it happened, but thank God for modern medical science that they could repair it. Hopefully, no infection sets in.

Fjordson

I watched some of it on Youtube. To be honest I didn't think Jabari's ups were anything crazy. Maybe I'm spoiled by the Plumlees (not joking, Miles' vertical was 40" when measured at the draft combine, and IIRC Mason either won or was runner-up for his year's contest and almost dunked 3 balls in one dunk)

Maybe you saw him on TV when he was just recovering from his injury? He's definitely improved his athleticism back to where it was pre-injury so that could account for the difference you noticed.
Ah, I didn't know he had an injury this year. Maybe that was it. I mean he still looked like a great player on TV, but he looked much quicker and ligher in that dunk contest. He's going to be a beast next year.

Why come back then? It's just not a good decision or advice, whatever. They especially don't have to look far to see how fragile their careers can be.
Very fair point about injuries, but I guess he's hoping to improve his game (especially on offense). He'll get to practice against 4-5 other future NBA players for a year. And the few players that have come back at UK over the last few years benefited a lot from an extra year. Guys like Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb.

And I've heard that WCS's family is very solid financially, so he probably just doesn't feel any pressing need to leave. If he does well this year he could be better prepared for the pros and even move up a few spots maybe to like 7 or 8.

Funny how Cauley-Stein was ranked outside the top 40 and considered to be a 2-3 year player at least. Guess Noel's injury really shined a light on how dynamic a player WCS could be.

I'm also really happy Wiltjer isn't transferring. He has his issues on defense and with rebounding, but I love his offensive game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So Noel and Goodwin are the only early entries? I guess thats expected. I'm not ready to crown you champs just yet. Its still 6 freshmen and returning players from a team that way underperformed. We're going to be loaded, Zona has a lot of good players, Michigan could be a factor depending on who leaves, stays.

Still you have me hoping Wiggins picks UNC, and you should be ashamed for that.

thefro

So Noel and Goodwin are the only early entries? I guess thats expected. I'm not ready to crown you champs just yet. Its still 6 freshmen and returning players from a team that way underperformed. We're going to be loaded, Zona has a lot of good players, Michigan could be a factor depending on who leaves, stays.

UK's issue is going to be that they're pretty thin at guard... you've got the Harrisons, Young and Jon Hood at the moment.

Also, if Zeller stays, I think Indiana could be better than this year's team by the end of the year, so they could be in the mix as well.

Fjordson

Yeah, going to be lots of good teams, not just UK.

I hate the message board fans saying "40-0 BABY! TIME FOR 9!!!" Do they not see the folly in such arrogance after this year? Goddamn.

thefro is also right about our depth on the perimeter. We're going to be adding at least two more players for those spots so hopefully that helps. It's almost guaranteed we're going to give an offer to this year's Mr. Basketball for Kentucky (tough as nails PG, 3-4 year player) and then we either add Wiggins or a decent JUCO transfer like Mays was this year.

I find it a little strange that Noel hasn't declared yet. I mean I'm not going to delude myself that he's coming back. Actually, a lot of mock drafts have him back up to the top spot so I know he's leaving, but it's interesting that he hasn't announced like all our other players from last year.

Yeah, Jabari is a good, but not great athlete. Hood's going to be the premier athlete on this Duke team.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
UNM has hired lifelong assistant coach and many time rejected for head coaching jobs, Craig Neal to lead the Lobos!

/slits wrists

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah, going to be lots of good teams, not just UK.

I hate the message board fans saying "40-0 BABY! TIME FOR 9!!!" Do they not see the folly in such arrogance after this year? Goddamn.

thefro is also right about our depth on the perimeter. We're going to be adding at least two more players for those spots so hopefully that helps. It's almost guaranteed we're going to give an offer to this year's Mr. Basketball for Kentucky (tough as nails PG, 3-4 year player) and then we either add Wiggins or a decent JUCO transfer like Mays was this year.

I find it a little strange that Noel hasn't declared yet. I mean I'm not going to delude myself that he's coming back. Actually, a lot of mock drafts have him back up to the top spot so I know he's leaving, but it's interesting that he hasn't announced like all our other players from last year.

You're probably the best UK fan I've read on the internet. As someone said on the local radio show a couple days ago, some fans are normal otherwise and then mention UK and they go 'UK crazy.' I call it rabble. Most act like entitled jackasses bringing up anything UK related.

I don't mind if they get Wiggins, I actually hope it happens so it brings a spotlight on this entire circus of one and doners and brings it all to a head. Maybe it will be so ridiculous things will change, or one of the entourage with their hands out gets exposed. It's going to be a great smoke test to break the system.

lush

I don't mind if they get Wiggins, I actually hope it happens so it brings a spotlight on this entire circus of one and doners and brings it all to a head. Maybe it will be so ridiculous things will change

I'm hoping it happens as well for these same reasons. The more the NCAA looks like a joke, the better.

Very fair point about injuries, but I guess he's hoping to improve his game (especially on offense). He'll get to practice against 4-5 other future NBA players for a year. And the few players that have come back at UK over the last few years benefited a lot from an extra year. Guys like Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb.

And I've heard that WCS's family is very solid financially, so he probably just doesn't feel any pressing need to leave. If he does well this year he could be better prepared for the pros and even move up a few spots maybe to like 7 or 8.

Funny how Cauley-Stein was ranked outside the top 40 and considered to be a 2-3 year player at least. Guess Noel's injury really shined a light on how dynamic a player WCS could be.

I just don't see why or how you turn down a first round grade. It's either a bad decision or bad advice, probably both. WCS especially made a horrible decision as he's a lottery pick easily. Especially considering how weak this draft is and how strong 2014 is looking, all risk and little reward

Fjordson

Wow looks like Minnesota is going to land Richard Pitino. HUGE get for them, this guy is going to be a big time coach.
That's a pretty great hire. Going to be a great coach.

As an aside, he seems like a super nice guy. They showed him a lot in the celebration after Louisville beat Duke and he was with Rick visiting Kevin Ware.

Who's going to watch the McD's (AKA Kentucky vs the World) game tonight?
I am. I like seeing all the big name recruits and seeing who's going where. Even though the quality of play will be mediocre like any other all-star basketball game.

The recruit I'm most fascinated with right now is Kennedy Meeks. This kid looks like an offensive lineman, but apparently he's really good. Want to see him play in that game tonight.

DominoKid

I am. I like seeing all the big name recruits and seeing who's going where. Even though the quality of play will be mediocre like any other all-star basketball game.

The recruit I'm most fascinated with right now is Kennedy Meeks. This kid looks like an offensive lineman, but apparently he's really good. Want to see him play in that game tonight.

He still fat. He ain't ready for prime time yet. He's in for a world of pain when he gets in our workout program lol.

Bowser

He still fat. He ain't ready for prime time yet. He's in for a world of pain when he gets in our workout program lol.

Yep, he's in for a shock once he realizes the kind of work he's gonna have to put in to get to UNC shape. But I don't doubt he'll put the work in. Probably won't be a big contributor his freshman season, but I def think he's going to turn into a true Carolina big man in due time.

Who's going to watch the McD's (AKA Kentucky vs the World) game tonight?

Hasn't that mess been going on all week? Don't these kids have class to attend? :S

But no, not watching. I really don't like all the unnecessary exposure on high school students, to be honest. I don't know, something about the current state of affairs just completely rubs me the wrong way. And those commitment press conferences are the worst. "Here's 8 hats, I'm going to put on the one for the school I'll attend." "Let me pull the t-shirt out of the bag."

Can a kid just pick up the phone, call the coach, then maybe call the beat writer at the local newspaper, and then go about his life? "Hey, Coach ____, I want to come to ____. What do I need to do now?"

Bunch of over-entitled ingrates.

And yes, I want all of them to get off my lawn.

Fjordson

I think half the blame goes on the press. They eat that shit up. Dave Telep and company on ESPN U are positively giddy during those announcement specials for big recruits, it's hilarious.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hasn't that mess been going on all week? Don't these kids have class to attend? :S

But no, not watching. I really don't like all the unnecessary exposure on high school students, to be honest. I don't know, something about the current state of affairs just completely rubs me the wrong way. And those commitment press conferences are the worst. "Here's 8 hats, I'm going to put on the one for the school I'll attend." "Let me pull the t-shirt out of the bag."

Can a kid just pick up the phone, call the coach, then maybe call the beat writer at the local newspaper, and then go about his life? "Hey, Coach ____, I want to come to ____. What do I need to do now?"

Agreed, for the most part. Even when we've had players in the McD's AA game, its worthless as fuck to watch. I hate the circus involved with these guys, I can't imagine how some of these batshit fans keep stalking high school players on a yearly basis to go to their school. It's fucking weird.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Tony Parker's press conference just ended. He's going to Golden Corral

I'ma watch tonight because I want to see Jabari style on someone.

Top Bottom