• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Fjordson

I'm tired of waiting for this kid. He can do whatever he wants, I no longer care.

He should go to UNC.
Haha, I think Dave Telep and company are to thank for these drawn out recruiting processes. ESPN feeds off this shit and really gets everyone in a frenzy for "the decision".

As far as where he goes, I'm not overly concerned at this point because UK was able to get Randle. I think we'll be a quality team with or without Wiggins and I can't blame him if he feels the UK roster will be a bit crowded next year (though he'd start at UK over Poythress, let's be real). Or if he simply likes one of the other coaches better.

I will be glad when it's over, though, so that all the speculation will go away. And if he does go to UNC that game in December at Chapel Hill could be pretty amazing.

DominoKid

man if yall didn't see the NHSI final you missed a doozy of a finish.

St. Benedict & Monteverde trade the lead like 4 times in the last minute, ending in a GW 3 for Monteverde. so sick.

Fjordson

man if yall didn't see the NHSI final you missed a doozy of a finish.

St. Benedict & Monteverde trade the lead like 4 times in the last minute, ending in a GW 3 for Monteverde. so sick.
I recorded it, going to watch it later. Mostly because of Montverde's center going to UK next year.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS
North Carolina's P.J. Hairston is returning to North Carolina, sources told CBSSports. Still not sure about McAdoo and Bullock yet.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS
North Carolina's P.J. Hairston is returning to North Carolina, sources told CBSSports. Still not sure about McAdoo and Bullock yet.

No surprise there. He can really improve his draft status with a National Championship next year, if they get Wiggins and the rest come back.

EDIT: I'm nuts, I forgot how many great freshman are coming in. I don't know what the right decision is for the dude.

Crisco

Banned
So Juco transfer Desmond Lee just committed to NC State. Still would have preferred Purvis staying but this guy almost looks like a better fit for the offense. Not as fast but a better shooter. If Josh Davis commits as well, I'll feel more confident about our NCAA tournament chances next year.

No surprise there. He can really improve his draft status with a National Championship next year, if they get Wiggins and the rest come back.

EDIT: I'm nuts, I forgot how many great freshman are coming in. I don't know what the right decision is for the dude.

Really, go or stay is always a case-by-case thing that comes down to how much the guy wants to play (or sometimes needs, depending on the financial situation of the family) in the NBA immediately. I personally would always lean towards going if I'm a lock first rounder, just because I don't want to risk an injury and possibly jeopardizing my draft status.

On the other hand, if I'm a guy like Hairston who may not be a deadlock first rounder yet, and whose family is financially good and values my education, I'm going to come back.

BTW, Rupp Rafters is the worst forum on the internet with the absolute dumbest fans on the planet.

They so desperately try to feign hatred of other teams, because they soooo want to be like UNC and Duke. Truth is, the UK-UL rivalry is stale and without genuine animosity, as the teams don't even play in the same conference. When Rick first went there a decade ago, it was kinda interesting, but not anymore. Reading catspause/rupp rafters right now will make you want to puke. They need some mods BAD over there.

BTW, Rupp Rafters is the worst forum on the internet with the absolute dumbest fans on the planet.

They so desperately try to feign hatred of other teams, because they soooo want to be like UNC and Duke. Truth is, the UK-UL rivalry is stale and without genuine animosity, as the teams don't even play in the same conference. When Rick first went there a decade ago, it was kinda interesting, but not anymore. Reading catspause/rupp rafters right now will make you want to puke. They need some mods BAD over there.

Niche forums contain the worst kind of fans in general and Rupp's Rafters just happens to have cornered the market on both old and new shitty internet fans.

I'd like a nice community of thoughtful fans who have a sense of humor about rivalries. This is the closest I've found. I posted a comment on /r/wildcats/ that was basically "Head's up to Minnesota: Billy Gillispie is available" and someone got caremad saying it was disrespectful to compare Tubby to Billy, which I wasn't doing at all and was actually clowning on our having hired that trainwreck to follow him.

Something like Deadspin's comments would be better than a traditional forum thread, as per topic I want to see the best comments and any good responses.

Just thinking out loud on this instead of doing my actual work. :)

Niche forums contain the worst kind of fans in general and Rupp's Rafters just happens to have cornered the market on both old and new shitty internet fans.

I'd like a nice community of thoughtful fans who have a sense of humor about rivalries. This is the closest I've found. I posted a comment on /r/wildcats/ that was basically "Head's up to Minnesota: Billy Gillispie is available" and someone got caremad saying it was disrespectful to compare Tubby to Billy, which I wasn't doing at all and was actually clowning on our having hired that trainwreck to follow him.

Something like Deadspin's comments would be better than a traditional forum thread, as per topic I want to see the best comments and any good responses.

Just thinking out loud on this instead of doing my actual work. :)

Do you know of a UK forum that's not full of insane people?

Do you know of a UK forum that's not full of insane people?

We do ok here, and I know several of us are Rupp's Rafters expatriates. Again, not saying I even want a better forum than what we have here, but that anything like Rupp's Rafters lost its best contributors long ago and not even great moderation now will save it. I think a monoculture of fans only ever goes to bad places and it's worse in the Rivals.com world where folks will wander over to the other team's board to either spy or stir the pot.

I also suspect the moderation stopped at RR once CatsPause splintered off into the ether. One of the funniest things back then is any mention of KSR (which I realize is trendy to hate, but is the best connected media outlet to the basketball program) would lead to instant deletion as they believed anything there was being copied from the premium section of CatsPause. Hiding your head in the sand is not a winning strategy when trying to keep an audience.

What I'm looking for is generally more sources of smart college basketball content. Ideally you'd get a decent group of partisans from each school so it's neither boring nor insane. One of my favorite things right now is the Walk Ons Podcast—the latest iteration being Matt Jones (just lost most people I'm sure), Mark Ennis and Ben Swain who are Kentucky, Louisville and Duke fans in that order in case someone isn't familiar. It's my favorite conversation about sports these days and I hope to see more stuff like that.

Fjordson

I like KSR a lot. I know some dislike Matt Jones, but I like him.

And yeah, Rupp Rafters has some idiots. Rivals in general does to be honest for every school.

W1SSY

Oladipo is announcing his decision at 4 today
he is gone
. But Zeller isn't so it seems like either he still hadn't decided or is returning.

chris121580

Twitter rumors are saying Cody is gone as well. No clue what to expect next season. So happy for Victor. He has earned his way to the NBA and I will be following him the whole way.

TheNatural

My Member!
Everyone sure loves to get the fuck out ASAP after the year ends. It's like they know it's another 7 months before next season and they can't stand it. I know it's about money, but most of these guys aren't going to make shit and are going to jump into a completely different life playing in random countries where they can get any sort of money.

jakncoke

Banned
Everyone sure loves to get the fuck out ASAP after the year ends. It's like they know it's another 7 months before next season and they can't stand it. I know it's about money, but most of these guys aren't going to make shit and are going to jump into a completely different life playing in random countries where they can get any sort of money.

I think thats pretty much why Adams is leaving he has like 17 brothers/sisters back home in New Zealand. Probably feels obligated to take the money and help them out. I wish he would of stayed, maybe could of been something special when he got muscle and worked on his issues

Twitter rumors are saying Cody is gone as well. No clue what to expect next season. So happy for Victor. He has earned his way to the NBA and I will be following him the whole way.

I'm happy for Oladipo too. Him leaving was expected and well deserved.
I still had some hope that Cody would play one more year, develop his mid range shot, get his degree. Alas it wasn't to be. :(

Just makes the Syracuse loss sting that much more. That will be one of those games as a sports fan that I will never get over. Win the best B1G in 20 years, with road wins at Ohio St., MSU and Michigan, 2 lottery picks on the team, 3 pt shooting of Watford + Hulls, Sheehey as a 6th man, number one seed.....and yet they didn't even make the Final Four.

Could be a while before Crean has a team capable of getting to a Final Four/winning it all. Players like Oladipo and Zeller don't come around very often.

Without Cody, next year is a rebuilding year for sure. Making the tournament and finishing in the upper half of the B1G is probably the most realistic scenario to hope for.

chris121580

I'm happy for Oladipo too. Him leaving was expected and well deserved.
I still had some hope that Cody would play one more year, develop his mid range shot, get his degree. Alas it wasn't to be. :(

Just makes the Syracuse loss sting that much more. That will be one of those games as a sports fan that I will never get over. Win the best B1G in 20 years, with road wins at Ohio St., MSU and Michigan, 2 lottery picks on the team, 3 pt shooting of Watford + Hulls, Sheehey as a 6th man, number one seed.....and yet they didn't even make the Final Four.

Could be a while before Crean has a team capable of getting to a Final Four/winning it all. Players like Oladipo and Zeller don't come around very often.

Without Cody, next year is a rebuilding year for sure. Making the tournament and finishing in the upper half of the B1G is probably the most realistic scenario to hope for.

I think you nailed it. That Syracuse loss is really painful to think about. Had we shown up and still lost...that's one thing but to know the team you watched all season didn't even bother to show up or put forth their best effort is the part that's hard to swallow. I have no expectations going into next season which I think is a good thing. I do have high hopes for Luke Fischer though

I think you nailed it. That Syracuse loss is really painful to think about. Had we shown up and still lost...that's one thing but to know the team you watched all season didn't even bother to show up or put forth their best effort is the part that's hard to swallow. I have no expectations going into next season which I think is a good thing. I do have high hopes for Luke Fischer though

Yeah I think Fischer and the rest of the 13' class will end up being better than the balleyhood 12' class ("The Movement").
It makes not getting Gary Harris hurt that much more.

12' class
- Yogi was as good as advertised, though he needs more confidence in his jump shot.
- Hollowell was about what I expected, he contributed a bit here and there.
But the other players did very little.
- Perea being the biggest disappointment. Maybe the 9 game suspension set him back too far. He's gotta learn how to catch the ball better and play more instinctively. He needs a big summer.
- Jurkin with the injury issues. I'm betting he'll end up transferring.
- Patterson didn't qualify and will be playing for the Cuse' next season. Too bad as I think he could turn into one of the best defenders in the country before his career is done.

13' class looks like it will have more instant contributors -
- Vonleh should be a stud, highest ranked recruit Crean has gotten, beast rebounder, can hit 3s, play outside in. I'm excited to see what he can do.
- Stan Robinson is my pick to surprise fans next year and start. 6'4, lefty, good leader, excellent defensively, can handle, slash and shoot the ball pretty well.
- Troy Williams should help right away defensively and running the floor. Hope he has Oladipo's work ethic.
- Fischer as you said could be pretty good. My issue with him is I think he's not strong enough yet. I expect him to get pushed around in the B1G next season against the upper echelon teams. I think he'll be skilled and hopefully more willing to shoot the jumper than Cody was. Eventually I think he could be one of those Bo Ryan Wisky style bigs that are good, solid frontcourt guys. But I think IU fans are over hyping him a bit, and that talk will only get bigger now that Zeller won't be back. I just hope fans give him time to develop. He's not in Cody's stratosphere.
- Devin Davis + Collin Hartman. Just a matter of where the minutes will be for these guys. Davis seems like he's really strong and athletic for his size, plays tough. Hartman can shoot 3s which IU will need next year w/out Hulls/Watford/even Oladipo's 3 pt shooting.

But yeah, still very much a rebuilding year. No Cody + lack of outside shooters will make offense harder to come by next season. Defense could be pretty good though.

thefro

I think we're going to be better, especially by the end of the year than most IU fans think. Gonna be a pretty long/athletic team full of 6-6 and up players (sans Yogi who's really athletic but short). Hopefully that means better D & rebounding.

W1SSY

I am glad for Oladipo and it is 100% the correct decision. I knew Oladipo was gone before the season was over but I don't feel the same way about Zeller. I would not be shocked if he returns for another year. If he does leave Fischer will have to step up and play big.

Obviously losing four starters will hurt but Indiana should be fine next year. It will be interesting with what lineup they go with next year. I imagine something like:
PG:Yogi
SG: ?
SF: Sheehey
PF: Vonleh
C: Fischer

We lack an interior guy and unless Jurkin becomes amazing in the offseason I think Fischer starts as a freshman. The other guard would be interesting because I really think Abell, Hollowell, or Williams to start. I for one an just excited that Indiana seems to be out of the bottom of the B1G and will stay competitive.

Fjordson

So Oladipo is gone. Probably the right decision. He improved so much between end of last year and this year.

Interesting to see what Zeller does. I feel like he could use another year in college, though the draft will be stronger next year.

Not the fault of the kids. The NCAA has a deadline on the 16th, so they're forcing everyone to decide in the week after the championship.

Good details here: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Testing-the-NBA-Draft-Waters-in-2013-4103/

According to NCAA Proposal No. 2010-24, “student-athletes interested in 'testing the waters' of the NBA draft [are required] to remove their name from consideration before the first day of the spring National Letter of Intent signing period.”

The first day of the spring National Letter of Intent signing period is April 17th this year, meaning that any player that makes himself eligible for the NBA draft before then must remove it by April 16th in order to retain his collegiate eligibility.

What this essentially means is that there is no “testing the waters” anymore.

its better this way. the old deadline used to let them wait until the end of april. maybe longer iirc. get on with it.

I don't like dragging it out, but I say give them two weeks. It's fine if you aren't in the final four, but those kids deserve some time to celebrate/mourn and then figure out where they're expected to fall.

Fjordson

UK officially signed this year's Mr. Basketball for Kentucky Dominique Hawkins. Very athletic point guard who should be around for a few years. Nice to see a kid get a scholarship who isn't the usual McDonald's All-American NBA talent. He's been saying that playing for UK has always been his dream, so it's pretty cool to see him get an offer.

DominoKid

i get that Russ Smith wants to go out on top, but he's gonna be an absolute disaster in the NBA.
Zeller is smart to get out while the getting is good.

TheNatural

My Member!
Maybe Russ will have an Earl Clark reversal and come back. It seems like his dad made this decision for him. I don't think the guy will mold into a first rounder next year with a deeper draft pool, but he could put up some totally ridiculous numbers with the league we're in. Playing teams like SMU, Rutgers, Houston, etc - he could go off for 25 a night, with no problem.

He's earned the right to do whatever he wants, I'll miss him though.

Has until the 16th to make a final decision I believe.

I know we are waiting on one of our players to make a final decision. Would suck to lose him and I don't think he's quite ready for the draft.

chris121580

i get that Russ Smith wants to go out on top, but he's gonna be an absolute disaster in the NBA.
Zeller is smart to get out while the getting is good.

Smith is good but he dribbles himself into trouble too much and he needs to bulk up. I think Siva may have the same problem with his size.

Fjordson

So Zeller and Oladipo are gone. Interesting to see how IU does next year.

Also, Phil Pressey from Missouri is entering the draft. Could be a rough year for them next year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ryan Kelly had surgery on his injured foot. Turns out it wasn't really healed when he returned, might be why his production slipped after those first couple of games back.

Coupled with not being in game shape for 2 months he was essentially a decoy, save the Miami game. I hate that it happened during his senior year.

So Dickie V has UNC number 2 behind UK, and this isn't even counting Wiggins. This to me is completely laughable. Hairston is a good player, but other than that, you are relying on a lot of unknown quantities.

Talon

Coupled with not being in game shape for 2 months he was essentially a decoy, save the Miami game. I hate that it happened during his senior year.

So Dickie V has UNC number 2 behind UK, and this isn't even counting Wiggins. This to me is completely laughable. Hairston is a good player, but other than that, you are relying on a lot of unknown quantities.
ACC BABY!!!

DON'T DISCOUNT THE HUCKLEBERRY BOUNCEBACK FACTOR!!!

Fjordson

UNC number 2 without Wiggins? A bit high I think. Even with Wiggins I'n not sure they're top 2. And he has Indiana 4. Way too high considering they're losing four starters.

I'm also uncomfortable with UK as number 1 already. All I want is for them to be better than last year. I'm confident they will be, but it's pretty early to be putting them on top of any power rankings. Last year we were preseason #3 on many polls :lol

TheNatural

My Member!
Still trying to wrap my head around this run dating back to last year and possibilities for next year. At the end of 11-12 regular season we went 2-4, including a senior day loss to South Florida.

Since then U of L is 43-6, and has beat every team in the Big East except Georgetown and avenged multiple losses several times (went 3-0 in the Big East tourney last year against teams lost to in the regular season, and 6-0 this year in the Big East and NCAA Tourney.)

Notable wins in this run:

- Everyone in the Big East except GTown, 3 wins against Notre Dame especially sweet
- New Mexico
- Michigan State
- Florida
- Memphis
- Kentucky
- Oregon
- Duke
- Michigan

And if preseason tourney next year goes the way it's set up, we'll get an early season chance to play North Carolina. Pretty awesome run.

Fjordson

Sounds like Russ Smith isn't fully decided on next year despite what his dad said. Pitino was on ESPN saying he's still gathering advice on what he should do and that he hasn't been able to make up his mind yet.

Bowser

Word is all 3 of PJ, JMM and RB are back. Apparently RB made the call today. I'd expect an official announcement within a few days.

TheNatural

My Member!
Sounds like Russ Smith isn't fully decided on next year despite what his dad said. Pitino was on ESPN saying he's still gathering advice on what he should do and that he hasn't been able to make up his mind yet.

His dad spouted off without his son's interests in mind. Pathetic if you ask me.

I'll wait and see. Pitino said Gorgui is 100% gone, but he himself hasn't said anything and has sounded like he's wanted to say. Guess I'll just wait until the deadline.

Top Bottom