• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

DominoKid

Hasn't that mess been going on all week? Don't these kids have class to attend? :S

But no, not watching. I really don't like all the unnecessary exposure on high school students, to be honest. I don't know, something about the current state of affairs just completely rubs me the wrong way. And those commitment press conferences are the worst. "Here's 8 hats, I'm going to put on the one for the school I'll attend." "Let me pull the t-shirt out of the bag."

Can a kid just pick up the phone, call the coach, then maybe call the beat writer at the local newspaper, and then go about his life? "Hey, Coach ____, I want to come to ____. What do I need to do now?"

Bunch of over-entitled ingrates.

And yes, I want all of them to get off my lawn.

I can't hate. If I was that good I'd try and outdo Harrison Barnes Skype chat for my committal.

So the new old American Athletic Conference aka old Big East will be taking up an at-large bid from some lowly undeserving conference. You're welcome!

Temple
Tulane
East Carolina
Houston
South Florida
Central Florida
UConn
Cincinnati
Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Navy - In spirit as they are a FB only member.

Solid 4 bid league! Maybe a 5th on a good day. Until UConn and Cinci peace out.

TheNatural

My Member!
So the new old American Athletic Conference aka old Big East will be taking up an at-large bid from some lowly undeserving conference. You're welcome!

Temple
Tulane
East Carolina
Houston
South Florida
Central Florida
UConn
Cincinnati
Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Navy - In spirit as they are a FB only member.

Solid 4 bid league! Maybe a 5th on a good day. Until UConn and Cinci peace out.

I would say more like 3.

@JayBilas:
Glad to see NCAA making money off Kevin Ware: http://t.co/PLSOkwVgUg Or, is the value in this only the school, and the No. 5 is random?

g4Mu9Gv.jpg

http://shop.uoflsports.com/Louisvil...ise-Up-5-On-Court-T-Shirt-_1996495479_PD.html

Kind of disgusting, isn't it?

I'm not sure those are teams that are going to be locks year in year out. Cincy completely collapsed at the end of the year and are losing Wright, Temple is losing the guy who was basically their whole team this year.

Let's say this configuration is stuck together for the life of the TV contract - so 6 years. I'd wager that at least 4 of those years, the league would send 4 teams minimum. Cincy isn't going to let things get out of hand considering they're still having to jockey for a spot in the ACC or Big XII.

Temple isn't exactly new to the dance either and have been, what, 5-6 straight seasons? Not a stretch to say they can keep making them.

TheNatural

My Member!
Let's say this configuration is stuck together for the life of the TV contract - so 6 years. I'd wager that at least 4 of those years, the league would send 4 teams minimum. Cincy isn't going to let things get out of hand considering they're still having to jockey for a spot in the ACC or Big XII.

Temple isn't exactly new to the dance either and have been, what, 5-6 straight seasons? Not a stretch to say they can keep making them.

3-4 is reasonable, I don't think 4 minimum each year is going to happen. PAC 12, SEC, A10 are a few of the leagues doing around there right now, and I would put this conference there with those.

3-4 is reasonable, I don't think 4 minimum each year is going to happen. PAC 12, SEC, A10 are a few of the leagues doing around there right now, and I would put this conference there with those.
Yeah that's fair. I guess I meant minimum of 4 in the majority of years. But overall yeah 3-4. Think there will be some other players too but if anything they would displace one of the aforementioned teams.

Time for UCF to step up and try for an at large for once.

Draxal

Supposedly, Dunphy isn'texactly happy with the A10-Big East -ACC situation.

And on Ricegate, from the NJ star ledger.
"Pernetti was first made aware of the recordings on Nov. 26 after Eric Murdock, a one-time NBA player recruited by Rice to serve as director of player development, approached him after he lost his job, according to the school sources. The athletic director called Barchi and they immediately retained an outside investigator ? revealed by the university late yesterday as the law firm of Connell Foley in Roseland ? to review them.

The law firm reviewed hours of videos and the coach's contract and concluded Rice could not be legally fired under the terms of his contract, based on the conduct seen on the video tapes, according to university sources familiar with report. "

NJ is a blue state and state employees get much stronger protection than red states, they were being cheap and this blew up on them.

Supposedly, Dunphy isn't exactly happy with the A10-Big East -ACC situation.
What do you mean? I don't think anyone is happy with the situation right now. But this upcoming year at least their sports will be under one banner for the first time in forever. Hopefully they take this round of conference membership seriously unlike their last experience with a non-MAC football conference.

Draxal

What do you mean? I don't think anyone is happy with the situation right now. But this upcoming year at least their sports will be under one banner for the first time in forever. Hopefully they take this round of conference membership seriously unlike their last experience with a non-MAC football conference.

Well, there's a headcoaching vacancy that opened just up the turnpike.

Well, there's a headcoaching vacancy that opened just up the turnpike.

Eh, if you not one of the handful of elite programs, you're always going to have to worry about a coach leaving for greener pastures. If he were to leave, I'm sure Temple wouldn't have much problem attracting a competent candidate. At the end of the day, they're still a part of a multi-bid BB league.

Draxal

Eh, if you not one of the handful of elite programs, you're always going to have to worry about a coach leaving for greener pastures. If he were to leave, I'm sure Temple wouldn't have much problem attracting a competent candidate. At the end of the day, they're still a part of a multi-bid BB league.

Rutger's not a green pasture, it's pretty much scorched earth right now.

TheNatural

My Member!

U of L isn't getting royalties BTW:

ATLANTA (WDRB) -- Kevin Ware apparel is springing up around the city faster than spring flowers, and that has raised the eyebrows of some who wonder whether the university should be profiting from a player's injury.

U of L sports information director Kenny Klein, however, said that the university isn't raking in cash from the apparel sales.

He said when Ware went down, U of L players asked if they could wear a tribute shirt for him at the Final Four. In response, adidas created the "RI5E TO THE OCCASION" shirts, and in expectation of fan demand also produced them for retail sale.

U of L associate athletic director Brent Seebohm said that U of L, "proactively decided to waive any traditional licensing royalties revenue connected to the No. 5 graphic to be worn by the team on the court. . . . The shirt was created as a respectful tribute to honor Kevin within NCAA trademark apparel parameters, and allow fans to rally around the team. Because of that, adidas is contributing a portion of every sell to the university's scholarship fund."

As with anything, somebody's making money. But in this case, the U of L athletic association says it isn't cashing in.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/21875785/...regular-royalties-from-ware-merchandise-sales

Crisco

Banned
yesterday i saw they're blocking all current & future conference members so no louisville. he should've just went there in the first place but i guess his people wouldnt let him out of town.

It's a moot point anyway, because UConn was his first choice. More of a message to anyone else who wants to transfer for no good reason. I'm generally all for kids going wherever they want, but in cases like this, their should be restrictions. Legitimate reasons to transfer include things like being buried on a bench when you could be getting minutes elsewhere, outgrowing a program (see: Curry, Seth), or just massive program turmoil (Rutgers). Sitting out a year when you would have gotten 30+ mpg on a NCAA tournament level team for 2+ years because you couldn't handle a benching is not one.

It was no slight intended against Louisville, as I know that pretty much any school (...or Adidas or Nike or Reebok) would do it. It was just once again pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of collegiate athletics.

At any rate, the shirt has been taken down (or at least shows as no longer available), and here's more reading:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ville-cardinals-sell-kevin-ware-tribute-shirt

TheNatural

My Member!
It was no slight intended against Louisville, as I know that pretty much any school (...or Adidas or Nike or Reebok) would do it. It was just once again pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of collegiate athletics.

At any rate, the shirt has been taken down (or at least shows as no longer available), and here's more reading:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ville-cardinals-sell-kevin-ware-tribute-shirt

Saw that column. An ambulance chasing lawyer lecturing on where money should go is ironic though, when he's hoping to win a suit to get himself a new mansion.

I agree it's somewhat tactless to accept profit from sentiment regarding a player's injury. But the players wanted something to wear in honor of him, and fans wanted one too. And in the end, it's still only a number that's in the shirt. I don't see how even though it's in honor of Ware, that likeness can be applied to a number. I think this is where Ed O Bannon is going to lose this suit.

As a side note, I haven't bought one of the $19.99 Final Four shirts because they're so cheap. I remember buying one years ago, and one wash and they basically shrunk in half.

Pretty funny video from DraftExpress. Bunch of recruits at the McDonald's AA game joking around. I love Kennedy Meeks:

http://youtu.be/6_ynTkuLj-8

He seems like a great kid. His shout out to Cal after calling our class overrated was pretty funny. I don't know much about his skill but it's great to have so many personalities in the class on top of being loaded with talent.

I feel like the next two years in college are going to be something else as the loaded draft next year hopefully won't leave too many cupboards dry.

Piecake

So, college-gaf's opinion on the Minnesota Pitino kid hire? Interesting choice, and am kinda glad they went young and swung for the fences on promise. He seems like he knows what he is doing as well.

Well, anything is better than watching tubby's horrifically boring offense try to score points and his team continuously fold during big 10 play

Fjordson

So, college-gaf's opinion on the Minnesota Pitino kid hire? Interesting choice, and am kinda glad they went young and swung for the fences on promise. He seems like he knows what he is doing as well.

Well, anything is better than watching tubby's horrifically boring offense try to score points and his team continuously fold during big 10 play
Probably going to end up as a great hire, he seems like he has a lot of promise.

But Tubby is also a pretty good coach in my opinion, was a little surprised by his firing.

I don't like Richard personally based on his leaking Eric Bledsoe's transcript (allegedly, lol), but he seems likely to be a good coach and sounds pretty sharp when talking about the game. I do wonder if he'll be able to recruit talent to Minnesota and I honestly would have stayed in Florida and enjoyed the weather.

But Tubby is also a pretty good coach in my opinion, was a little surprised by his firing.

I guess that's sort of the rub with Tubby. Everyone likes him as a person and he's a good coach, but he's neither great enough to be considered an elite coach nor bad enough to know you need to fire him. Tubby left Lexington on his own, so it's weird how little crap Minnesota has taken considering the stuff that was coming UK's way when he left. That said, I don't really blame them having suffered through Tubby's last few years here which were about as festive as a funeral save for the Brandon Stockton chest bump.

Piecake

Probably going to end up as a great hire, he seems like he has a lot of promise.

Check out tubby's big 10 record and you'll likely reconsider

I don't like Richard personally based on his leaking Eric Bledsoe's transcript (allegedly, lol), but he seems likely to be a good coach and sounds pretty sharp when talking about the game. I do wonder if he'll be able to recruit talent to Minnesota and I honestly would have stayed in Florida and enjoyed the weather.

The problem right now is that we don't have a practice facility. The Barn is awesome, but it is historically nostalgic awesome. Not really something that impresses a kid who doesnt give a shit about that. So having a modern practice facility, especially since everyone else does, is pretty damn necessary

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Pretty funny video from DraftExpress. Bunch of recruits at the McDonald's AA game joking around. I love Kennedy Meeks:

http://youtu.be/6_ynTkuLj-8

Meeks had to carry the Duke/UNC smack talk video. Hicks, Parker and Jones just wouldn't say much of anything. Every year, there is some UNC bound kid that says something in jest that pisses off all the Duke homers. This year they felt bad for Meeks because he was the only one who tried.

Jabari may be the most athletic player we've had in forever, but he's pretty much Steve Erkel.

Fjordson

Jabari seems like a nice guy. Matt Jones is kind of annoying, but whatever.

Kennedy Meeks is hilarious, though. Lots of charisma for an 18 year old. Future in broadcasting after basketball I bet.

DominoKid

if you havent been watching the NHSI you've been missing out.

---

"I think it's still up in the air but we're much much closer to having all of them back than we were last year,” Williams said. “They are all enjoying school, they are all still hungry to do more and there is nobody that is a guaranteed Top 10 pick. ..."

“We still have to continue going through the process, allowing those guys to make decisions and in my mind some of them have already been made just about, but we're going to wait until all three are done so we can just have one announcement," Williams said. - Roy

optimism back.

Top Bottom