• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
As the Russ turns.

Rick Pitino said on ESPNU's Signing Day Show Thursday night that Russ Smith is 60-40 leaning toward staying at Louisville and said his star guard could only benefit from another year in college to gain strength and continue working on his game.

He could put up some flat out Russdiculous numbers with our competition next year.

Speaking of the AAC, here's UConn's new logo

UConnHusky-Logo.jpg

As the Russ turns.

He could put up some flat out Russdiculous numbers with our competition next year.

Pitino says a lot of things.

The closest parallel I can think here with the parents pressuring a player to go would be Samardo Samuels, who I remember Pitino said was coming back in a press conference and then just an hour or two later I was listening to WHAS when a press release came from Jamaica saying he was staying in the draft.

Speaking of the AAC, here's UConn's new logo

UConnHusky-Logo.jpg

Looks great to me. Much better than the friendly looking dog with the tongue.

I wish Kentucky still had a Wildcat logo instead of the squashed nasty UK thing. Even the wildcat with the penis tongue would be better.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ah, nice. I didn't know if I should expect to see him next year at Duke, somewhere else, or at all.

I just hope he plays hard on both ends of the floor and makes the most of his senior year with his original class. I really can't talk shit about him knowing that his sisters death fucked him up pretty good.

TheNatural

My Member!
The great thing about winning the title here is it leads directly into Derby month and the spring game. It's going to be a month long celebration, the team is already going to be honored at the spring game Saturday, then the Derby stuff starts with the high school game with local commits, and stuff like the parade where the team will be honored. And Pitino has a horse in the Derby, it's pretty nuts.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The great thing about winning the title here is it leads directly into Derby month and the spring game. It's going to be a month long celebration, the team is already going to be honored at the spring game Saturday, then the Derby stuff starts with the high school game with local commits, and stuff like the parade where the team will be honored. And Pitino has a horse in the Derby, it's pretty nuts.

championship? You still talking about that? ;P

Fjordson

Word is all 3 of PJ, JMM and RB are back. Apparently RB made the call today. I'd expect an official announcement within a few days.
Very good news for UNC if true. Another year for JMM especially is probably the smart choice. Maybe I've missed some of his better performances, but he's looked very mediocre to me for the most part.

Which is unfortunate compared to the surprisingly positive development of other guys this year like Hairston and Paige (though Hairston might have just been buried in the beginning because of Roy's rotation).

His dad spouted off without his son's interests in mind. Pathetic if you ask me.

I'll wait and see. Pitino said Gorgui is 100% gone, but he himself hasn't said anything and has sounded like he's wanted to say. Guess I'll just wait until the deadline.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. Lots of outside voices these days on whether or not a kid should go pro.

I think Dieng is leaving, but I was surprised by that that quote from Russ Smith's dad so I can see him coming back one more year.

It's funny, I was watching The Masters earlier and a kid is playing at 14. And will probably make the cut. Not comparable sports I know, but it's an interesting contrast.

I think Dieng is leaving, but I was surprised by that that quote from Russ Smith's dad so I can see him coming back one more year.

If Russ wants to play in the league he has to go this year (next year's draft is looming on lots of these early entries—very few players actually have a chance to improve their stock in the next 12 months). The only reason I'd come back is if I'm convinced I wouldn't make a team, but who knows his financial situation.

Fjordson

Is this real? Surely it's not. Supposedly the newest banner hung by Clappy:

I make fun of Indiana and Tom Crean, but they have a pretty legitimate history and tradition when it comes to basketball. Not sure why Crean feels the need to do stuff like this. I just pray he didn't order Sweet 16 rings again.

disclaimer: I saw this on Rupp's Rafters, so there is a very good chance some asshole UK fan did this in photoshop.

Karakand

Woah, damn, crazy-ass Bruins Nation got Steve Alford to apologize for the way he handled the Pierre Pierce rape case at the University of Iowa.

And not just some Alford plea, either. A real apology. *dodges shoes thrown at him for telling a bad joke*

TheNatural

My Member!
Pitino got his tattoo today.

He decided to honor the year by getting a portrait of John Wooden on his left buttock and Denny Crum on his right. When he got home, he excitedly showed Joanne. After a moment of awkward silence, he asked her what she thought.

She paused, and then said, "Well, I recognize the guy in the middle as Calipari, but who are the other two guys?"

I make fun of Indiana and Tom Crean, but they have a pretty legitimate history and tradition when it comes to basketball. Not sure why Crean feels the need to do stuff like this. I just pray he didn't order Sweet 16 rings again.

disclaimer: I saw this on Rupp's Rafters, so there is a very good chance some asshole UK fan did this in photoshop.
I can't imagine that's a real banner. Iowa I would believe, but not Indiana.

ps: Suck it down, B1G! #4 despite our years of darkness!

He decided to honor the year by getting a portrait of John Wooden on his left buttock and Denny Crum on his right. When he got home, he excitedly showed Joanne. After a moment of awkward silence, he asked her what she thought.

She paused, and then said, "Well, I recognize the guy in the middle as Calipari, but who are the other two guys?"

Wooooomp woooomp

Fjordson

Anyone else going to watch the Jordan Brand Classic tomorrow? All-Star basketball at any level rarely results in a quality game, but I do like seeing all the big recruits each year. Also, I watch a decent amount of local high school ball because my nephew plays, so it's entertaining to see just how good the top recruits are compared to most kids their age.

Wiggins is on the same team as the Harrison twins and Randle. Hope they do some unofficial recruiting for UK this week :p

2012-12-3-calipari-x-large.jpg

And I'm diggin' that new UConn logo. Looks better than the old one.

Draxal

Rutger's head coach is most likely going to be Eddie Jordan. Which is honestly the best hire they could have done in these circumstances (Hurley would have been a disaster, he's too much of screamer, they needed some one squeeky clean).

Anyone else going to watch the Jordan Brand Classic tomorrow? All-Star basketball at any level rarely results in a quality game, but I do like seeing all the big recruits each year. Also, I watch a decent amount of local high school ball because my nephew plays, so it's entertaining to see just how good the top recruits are compared to most kids their age.

Wiggins is on the same team as the Harrison twins and Randle. Hope they do some unofficial recruiting for UK this week :p

Speaking of the JBC, this was posted on ESPN Insider's day 1 practice notes.

"The Harrisons began to dominate the ball in the backcourt, and as they started to force some lower-percentage shots, so did Randle. The sum total for Wiggins was that he touched the ball in only one of his team’s final seven possessions. Ironically, his play was to drive into the teeth of the defense and attempt to set up Aaron Harrison for a corner 3"

Probably just old fashioned Telep muckraking.

W1SSY

Not a banner but maybe a poster I am not for sure. He also tweeted one that tracks the number of NBA recruits and Jordan Hulls stats over his career.

Fjordson

Not a banner but maybe a poster I am not for sure. He also tweeted one that tracks the number of NBA recruits and Jordan Hulls stats over his career.
Ah, makes sense. I figured it could be some Rivals jerks making something out of nothing.

Speaking of the JBC, this was posted on ESPN Insider's day 1 practice notes.

"The Harrisons began to dominate the ball in the backcourt, and as they started to force some lower-percentage shots, so did Randle. The sum total for Wiggins was that he touched the ball in only one of his team’s final seven possessions. Ironically, his play was to drive into the teeth of the defense and attempt to set up Aaron Harrison for a corner 3"

Probably just old fashioned Telep muckraking.
D'oh. Bad shot selection doesn't surprise me at an all-star game, but you'd think they would try to feed him the ball at least every other possession :lol

Fjordson

Yeah, it looks like the posters Crean has hanging up in Cook Hall (IU's practice facility) to me. Basically just for recruiting.
Oh okay, yeah that makes more sense.

That's an impressive stat for Hulls playing all those games. To come when IU was at the very bottom and then help them make it back up. I'd guess he'll end up as an all-time favourite alum. Same with Watford.

DominoKid

Hairston officially back. His quote is interesting.

“I have spent a lot of time with my family over the past couple of days discussing school and my future, and I have finally decided today to return to the University of North Carolina for my junior year,” Hairston said. “I value the experiences I have had over the past two years in Chapel Hill, and hope to continue to grow under Coach Roy’s guidance. Coach always says ‘when you focus on the team during the season, he will support us in the offseason’ - this is my way of supporting coach, my teammates and the Tar Heel community. Go Heels!”

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm 99% sure Wiggins goes to UNC, and they will be a damn tough team.

Its wierd to say, but I sorta hope he does. I think that will put Duke and UNC on the same level, which both haven't been in the same year in a while. Wggins vs Parker is something our conference needs, I'm not gonna lie.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Jabari Parker interview at the Jordan Brand Classic.

Those remarks about UK...what a sonuvabitch. Overrated anyways.

Obviously kidding, really wish he had come to UK. Though I don't remember us ever being in the conversation for him.

Dakari Johnson interview at the JBC

He always talks about being a true center and the paint being his "domain". I love it. Big men like that are becoming somewhat rare these days.

Like with Duke, my understanding was you either were going to go with Parker or Randle. We were really interested in Randle for a while and then things switched nd K went after parker. Not unlike we did with Purvis and Sulaimon.

Next year in the ACC is going to be something to get used to. Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pitt are going to make things interesting, if only for their newness. Then Louisville the year after? If nobody else bolts during football season, ACC basketball in 2014-2015 will be something else.

Note to Wake Forest, NC State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, NC State, Boston College, Florida State:

Step your game up. It won't only be Duke and UNC making you look bad every year.

Fjordson

Like with Duke, my understanding was you either were going to go with Parker or Randle. We were really interested in Randle for a while and then things switched nd K went after parker. Not unlike we did with Purvis and Sulaimon.
Ah, okay. Yeah I remember he cut UK from his list pretty early.

I'm skeptical that a player as good as Jabari (projected already as a top 3 pick) would be in college longer than Austin freaking Rivers, but if he does stay an extra year and you guys get Tyus Jones and Okafor in 2014...good lawd.

Next year in the ACC is going to be something to get used to. Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pitt are going to make things interesting, if only for their newness. Then Louisville the year after? If nobody else bolts during football season, ACC basketball in 2014-2015 will be something else.

Note to Wake Forest, NC State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, NC State, Boston College, Florida State:

Step your game up. It won't only be Duke and UNC making you look bad every year.
Could be the closest thing to SEC football in bball.

Ah, okay. Yeah I remember he cut UK from his list pretty early.

I'm skeptical that a player as good as Jabari (projected already as a top 3 pick) would be in college longer than Austin freaking Rivers, but if he does stay an extra year and you guys get Tyus Jones and Okafor in 2014...good lawd.

Could be the closest thing to SEC football in bball.

Austin Rivers was going pro the second after the Lehigh loss. His ego wasn't going to let him stay in college even when he probably had coaches telling him he could have used another year.

Ultimately its his loss though. The draft was weaker this year than last and had he stayed he could have played himself into the top 5 easily.

Fjordson

If Jabari does stay a second year then I'll be impressed. Star players sticking around is always good for the college game. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Though it is slightly more believable than when the Harrison twins said they would be attending UK for four years :lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm now hearing Wiggins to FSU. I know its family connections but it has to suck for any CBB blueblood like UNC to lose the best player to a football school

Fjordson

I'm now hearing Wiggins to FSU. I know its family connections but it has to suck for any CBB blueblood like UNC to lose the best player to a football school
I heard that too. All the Rivals hooligans on Rupp's Rafters are losing their shit.

"WE DON'T NEED HIM. I LIKE A SOPH POYTHRESS OVER WIGGINS!"

But I have to say, for college basketball's sake, I think UNC or UK would have been great. UK for the theatrics of the recruiting class, UNC to play in the ACC with all the good teams next year and go against Jabari and Duke.

On the other hand, for my personal peace of mind, FSU is a pretty nice result because I can't imagine them being a contender even with Wiggins :lol UNC will be a tough team if they get him.

- Pac-12 Men's Basketball salaries from Wilner @ the Mercury News
1. UCLA's Alford: $2.6 million/yr
2. Arizona's Sean Miller: $2.2 million/yr
3. Oregon's Dana Altman: $1.8 million/yr
4. Washington's Lorenzo Romar: $1.7 million/yr
5. USC's Andy Enfield: $1.5 million/yr
5. Cal's Mike Montgomery: $1.5 million/yr
7. Arizona State's Herb Sendek: $1.2 million/yr
8. Oregon State's Craig Robinson: $950,000/yr
8. Utah's Larry Krystkowiak: $950,000
10. Stanford's Johnny Dawkins: $900,000/yr
11. Washington State's Ken Bone: $850,000
12. Colorado's Tad Boyle: $600,000/yr

The figures are approximate and have been reported by sources I trust and/or confirmed by my research. (As private schools, USC and Stanford are not required to disclose salary figures.)

The data excludes performance-based and retention bonuses. This is base pay and talent/media -- the guaranteed cash.

W1SSY

Looks like Indiana doesn't have a problem with over signing anymore because Remy Abell decided that he wants to go somewhere to get more playing time. Seems a little crazy for him to leave because I felt like he loved the program. I really hate how Crean has been over signing and then players have had to leave.

Oversigning seems ludicrous.

But maybe that's just my perspective as a Duke fan, where Coach K always seems to only have 9 or 10 scholarship players (8 that he'll play) and then walk-ons fill the rest of the roster.

Top Bottom