• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
I heard that too. All the Rivals hooligans on Rupp's Rafters are losing their shit.

"WE DON'T NEED HIM. I LIKE A SOPH POYTHRESS OVER WIGGINS!"

But I have to say, for college basketball's sake, I think UNC or UK would have been great. UK for the theatrics of the recruiting class, UNC to play in the ACC with all the good teams next year and go against Jabari and Duke.

On the other hand, for my personal peace of mind, FSU is a pretty nice result because I can't imagine them being a contender even with Wiggins :lol UNC will be a tough team if they get him.

I think it would be more interesting to see Wiggins and like 3 other McD's All Americans find the worst public Division II team the past few years and just go there for shits.

Now that would be interesting. Not seeing fans of major schools bitch about how much better the guy would be at their school and when the guy doesn't come, didn't want him anyway.

Fjordson

Snippet from ESPN's day 2 practice notes from the Jordan Brand Classic:

Best pick and roll guard: Andrew Harrison

Harrison's ability to thrive in pick-and-roll situations is no secret. His size, explosiveness and versatile scoring tools all make him ideally suited for that role, but in this setting he showed a mature understanding of how to read the action.

He used his physical tools to split hard hedges, pulled up anytime his defender tried to go under and found his roll man often. Most impressive, though, was his understanding of when to flip the ball-screen, punishing a perfect hedge by using the screen a second time, thus preventing any hedge on his way back.

Omg.

I think it would be more interesting to see Wiggins and like 3 other McD's All Americans find the worst public Division II team the past few years and just go there for shits.

Now that would be interesting. Not seeing fans of major schools bitch about how much better the guy would be at their school and when the guy doesn't come, didn't want him anyway.
That's the worst part. It 's so lame. I see UK fans do that on Rivals. And I remember Kansas fans doing that when they didn't get Randle. Not cool.

Fjordson

Jabari looked crazy good.

And Randle, co-MVP with Jabari. What a monster. Guy is unstoppable when he gets a head of steam.

Andrew Harrison also looked the part of the top PG. Was blowing by or overpowering every guard he went up against.

Edit:

uk-fans-jordan-brand.jpg

Not me in there, I swear :lol

devilhawk

Embiid going all Mutombo on Randle was excellent.

Nigel Williams-Goss was the most impressive. Wiggins and Randle were very good. Wasn't impressed with the Harrison twins very much. Too bad Selden had the flu. And Parker was great too.

Fjordson

Yeah, Michigan could still be pretty good if everyone else is returning.

Although has Tim Hardaway Jr. said he's coming back? Can he see him leaving as a junior.

Yeah, Michigan could still be pretty good if everyone else is returning.

Although has Tim Hardaway Jr. said he's coming back? Can he see him leaving as a junior.

That team pretty much lived and died with Burke. He facilitated the entire offense, theyll still be top 3 in the B1G next year, but thats because the B1g will be pretty weak next season.

Fjordson

I do think they'll step down, but a sophomore GR III, Stauskas, and McGary could step up a lot next year.

B1G will be interesting next year. I feel like it's MSU's title to lose going into the season.

Bowser

Word is all 3 of PJ, JMM and RB are back. Apparently RB made the call today. I'd expect an official announcement within a few days.

Word is the announcement was pushed back due to the death of JMM's grandmother and since then Reggie has been having second thoughts. Sounds like he's reversed his decision now:

@WojYahooNBA
North Carolina junior Reggie Bullock is leaning strongly toward entering the NBA Draft, sources tell Y! Decision likely finalized today.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also the A10 is adding Davidson, after already adding George Mason, to replace some of the schools lost to the new Big East.

I wish the new Big East would go ahead and add VCU and Wichita State to the conference. I think they've earned it, but it sounds like they're wary they're more one hit wonders than Butler and once Smart leaves, they'll fall off. Really don't know how that's different than basically every team they added, but alright.

Loyola Chicago is replacing Creighton in the MVC as well. These conferences are going to be difficult as fuck to figure out who's in or not.

Talon

That team pretty much lived and died with Burke. He facilitated the entire offense, theyll still be top 3 in the B1G next year, but thats because the B1g will be pretty weak next season.
Or maybe the other big three guys will finally have to move off the ball without having Burke to rely upon to bail their asses out on a consistent basis.

Draxal

I wish the new Big East would go ahead and add VCU and Wichita State to the conference. I think they've earned it, but it sounds like they're wary they're more one hit wonders than Butler and once Smart leaves, they'll fall off. Really don't know how that's different than basically every team they added, but alright.

Gtown being Gtown here.

TheNatural

My Member!
Gtown being Gtown here.

I dunno. I think they may all just like the 18 game round robin. But Wichita is a consistent mid major power and put it all together this year, and they need another West division opponent there so they can have Marquette, St Louis, DePaul, Creighton, Butler, and Wichita all in one division. I would think that would be ideal.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I do think they'll step down, but a sophomore GR III, Stauskas, and McGary could step up a lot next year.

B1G will be interesting next year. I feel like it's MSU's title to lose going into the season.

If the other 3 come back we'll be just fine. Derrick Walton won't quite be Trey Burke but he also shouldn't have to be.

Trey came in and had Stu Douglas, Zack Novak, Matt Vogrich, Smotrycz, and Sophomore versions of Hardaway and Morgan to work with.

Walton will be playing with Stuaskas, Robinson, McGary, Levert, and senior versions of Hardaway and Morgan. Plus the Indiana Gatorade POY and Mr Basketball Zak Irvin, Spike, and Jon Horford.

We'd still have a very talented back court and a deep front court. I'd put Michigan as very close second to Sparty in chances of winning the B1G next season.

All this is contingent on Hardaway, Robinson, and McGary all coming back though and I'm not confident that is going to happen.

TheNatural

My Member!
This isn't an onion article or anything surprisingly enough. WTF?

Mike Rice made waves again, as Brian Geltzeiler tweeted that Rice is coaching a 12-year-old girls AAU basketball team in Holmdel, NJ. Geltzeiler also tweeted that Rice told one of the 12-year-old girls, ”I can’t even look at you.”

A source told SNY.tv that Rice is indeed still coaching a 12-year-old girls AAU team. It’s his daughter’s team, and he’s been coaching them since his tenure at Rutgers.

Rice is listed as a coach on the New Jersey Shoreshots coaches page and tournament team list.

According to Geltzeiler’s tweets, “he is still acting like a mad man,” at the AAU games.

However, parents on the team say otherwise. They are enraged by the tweets and the report on Deadspin saying Rice “is still acting f—ing insane.”

“The Deadspin report is a gross misrepresentation of the facts,” a source close to the AAU team told SNY.tv. “The team’s parents are fully behind Coach Rice and his instruction of their daughters.”

“Mike is doing this because this is what he does. This is what he loves,” a mother of one of the players told the New York Post. “Every kid on this team loves and adores Mike, and the parents, too.”

As for the opposing coaches, they had no problem with Rice’s sideline demeanor.

“As far as him acting improper in any way, that’s not true,” a coach at the game this weekend told the Post.

SNY.tv reached out to the league for comment, but it would not issue a statement on Rice coaching in the league.

http://snyrutgers.com/basketball/mi...ear-old-girls-aau-and-the-parents-support-it/

LMAO WTF?

Draxal

I dunno. I think they may all just like the 18 game round robin. But Wichita is a consistent mid major power and put it all together this year, and they need another West division opponent there so they can have Marquette, St Louis, DePaul, Creighton, Butler, and Wichita all in one division. I would think that would be ideal.

Gtown's blocking VCU by themselves, the C7 has it's owninfighting just like the old football schools weren't all on the same page.

This isn't an onion article or anything surprisingly enough. WTF?

http://snyrutgers.com/basketball/mi...ear-old-girls-aau-and-the-parents-support-it/

LMAO WTF?

Apparently, all the local NJ writers are saying this is nothing and the deadspin guy wasn't even there.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameo...-coaching-12-year-old-girls-aau-team/2082999/

TheNatural

My Member!
Gtown's blocking VCU by themselves, the C7 has it's owninfighting just like the old football schools weren't all on the same page.

They must be anti going to 12 I guess. Or maybe pro Richmond. I'm not sure what their beef would be against VCU just on VCU's merits.

They definitely could use another West team though so they can set up a division format Wichita is returning everyone next year basically, they're going to be the real deal. They need to jump in on this shit while it's hot. VCU may fall apart if Shaka leaves, but he told UCLA and Minnesota to fuck off, so he may be in for the long haul anyway.

One of UCF's forwards, Isaiah Sykes is staying. Figured he would and just used the draft thing as a barometer for the future.

Really excited about this BB team now going into next season.

DominoKid

Guess he really is that hard up for cash. That's the only explanation because he's just not ready for the NBA.

Anyway, Roy is meeting w/ Wiggins on Monday. If we get him I'll consider that a net gain.

Bowser

Guess he really is that hard up for cash. That's the only explanation because he's just not ready for the NBA.

Anyway, Roy is meeting w/ Wiggins on Monday. If we get him I'll consider that a net gain.

Eh. At this point RB is who he is. He's not going to get more athletic with another year at Carolina, and that's about the only thing that's going to make him into a surefire first round pick. I hope he catches on with a contender in the last few picks of the first round. I wish him well in the league, I definitely think he can be a contributor.

Bowser

And it's official:

CHAPEL HILL - University of North Carolina junior forward Reggie Bullock is entering the 2013 NBA Draft. The Kinston, N.C., native was Carolina's third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder last season. He led the Tar Heels and was third in the Atlantic Coast Conference in three-point percentage.

"It's been a great experience at Carolina and after talking to my family, the coaches and my inner circle of friends, I am ready to take the next step in my career," says Bullock. "I want to play at the next level and will put my name in the NBA Draft this year. I want to thank all of my coaches, teammates and the Carolina fans for their support these past three years. We did some great things that have prepared me to play in the NBA. I know the Tar Heels will have a great year next season."

Bullock averaged 13.9 points and 6.5 rebounds as a junior, earning second-team All-ACC honors from both the media and coaches. He made 88 of 202 three-point field goals, a percentage of .436. The 88 three-pointers were the third-most in UNC single-season history. He scored a career-high 24 points on Jan. 19, 2013, against Maryland.
Bullock played in 100 games as a Tar Heel and scored 989 points, an average of 9.9 per game. He made 188 three-pointers, eighth-most in school history. He scored in double figures 54 times, including 28 of 36 games in 2012-13.

"Reggie is such an outstanding young man and a talented basketball player," says UNC head coach Roy Williams. "He was our most consistent player this season, was productive on both ends of the floor and gave us great leadership. Our hope is that his decision will work out in a very positive manner for Reggie. He has big dreams and we will help him and support him in his efforts to reach those dreams. I'll always enjoy reflecting on Reggie's three seasons as a big part of our program."

Bowser

I think you guys will get Wiggins.

Meh. Self has the last visit (visiting next Tuesday, Roy is visiting next Monday). Hamilton hasn't visited since AW's official in December, which means he either feels REALLY good or REALLY bad about FSU's chances. If I had to guess, AW will be a Nole.

Bowser

When I look at it logically, if JMM comes back, there's literally no better situation for AW. Tons of minutes at the 3, a great pass-first PG, two upperclassmen scorers in PJ and JMM to help take the defensive pressure off, a chance to compete for a Final Four/title, tradition, Jordan brand, a legendary (as much as people hate on ol' Roy) coach, and a built-in rivalry and guaranteed at least two games with Duke/Parker (a player AW seems to relish facing). It just seems like the perfect situation.

And yet, I can't help but feel that Roy and UNC are running 4th in this recruitment. IMO, I think the rankings go like this:

FSU
KU
UK
UNC

Fjordson

I can't wait for the Wiggins decision. Only because it seems like no one has a clue. Usually you hear how a recruit is "leaning" one way or that it's down to two schools. Or some source comes out with one major rumor and it ends up being true. I've read that stuff about Wiggins, except I've seen it written in favor of all four schools on different sites :lol and every time the person is confident in what they're hearing.

Maybe Karl Towns will be the difference :lol 2014 UK commit who's rooming with Wiggins for the Nike Hoops Summit (look at that dope controller).

Final Rivals Rankings are out.

Rivals 2013

Nice to see Zak Irvin get his 5th star and Derrick Walton move back ahead of Demetrius Jackson.
I like Randle at #2, but I'm surprised by Aaron Gordon ahead of Jabari Parker and James Young outside the top 10.

So Shabazz gonna be another YNB or a Jordan Farmar?
YNB is Westbrook, right? I actually don't think he'll ever be as good as him. YNB is on an entirely different level as far as athleticism goes. I've never seen him get up and down anywhere close to as fast as that and he can't take guys off the dribble like YNB. His quickness has looked sort of mediocre this season to be honest. Then at the same he's a pretty average size so I don't think he'll be overpowering NBA guards either.

I definitely think he'll be better than Farmar, though. Nice outside shot, smart offensively, and a good rebounder as a guard. And he could always improve his quickness off the dribble, maybe shed 10-15 pounds after the draft.

Top Bottom