• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Bowser

I'm googling YNB, and the top results I get are

Your National Bank
Yeast Nitrogen Base
Yanbu Airport

I believe it stands for Y NOT BROOK, commonly associated with the following pics:

TRMPz.jpg

VEsC0IM.jpg

Bowser

Return of the Mac official!

CHAPEL HILL - Sophomore forward James Michael McAdoo will return to the University of North Carolina for his junior season in 2013-14. McAdoo earned second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors after leading the Tar Heels in rebounding and steals and finishing second in scoring in 2012-13.

The Norfolk, Va., native averaged 14.4 points and 7.3 rebounds and made 54 steals in leading UNC to a 25-11 record and the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

"Coach (Williams) and I have been talking about this since the end of the season and today my parents joined Coach and me in those discussions," says McAdoo. "I have decided to stay in school at North Carolina and play another season for the Tar Heels.

"I love this school and my teammates and I love being a North Carolina basketball player. There will certainly be a time when I want to play in the NBA, but right now I truly enjoy college life and I want to continue doing that for another season."

McAdoo scored in double figures a team-high 32 times, posted nine double-doubles and scored 20 or more points five times. He was fourth in the ACC in steals, ninth in rebounding and 12th in scoring. He has averaged 10.1 points and 5.5 rebounds in 74 games as a Tar Heel.
"I am ecstatic about having the opportunity to coach James Michael for another season," says Roy Williams. "He's an incredible young man who did some really nice things this year. He's going to be an even better player in the future. Coaching young people like James Michael is what makes me enjoy coaching so much.

"James Michael's decision says a lot about the University of North Carolina and his teammates. He truly enjoys the entire collegiate experience. It's the reason he came to this decision."

Last week, rising junior guard P.J. Hairston said he was returning next year. Earlier today, junior forward Reggie Bullock announced that he was entering his name into the 2013 NBA Draft.

"I'm certainly looking forward to coaching P.J. and James Michael again," says Williams. "They have grown a lot as young men in their first two years at Carolina and I expect them to be fantastic leaders for us next season."

Fjordson

McAdoo scored in double figures a team-high 32 times, posted nine double-doubles and scored 20 or more points five times. He was fourth in the ACC in steals, ninth in rebounding and 12th in scoring. He has averaged 10.1 points and 5.5 rebounds in 74 games as a Tar Heel.

Fourth in steals, top 10 in rebounding? That's surprisingly good, maybe I've been too hard on JMM.

JMM will eat Duke's lunch next year on the interior. He's not huge but Duke has nobody down low to compete.

Edit: wait, hold on. I'm being told Josh Hairston is returning for his senior season. So disregard my prior thought.

JMM will eat Duke's lunch next year on the interior. He's not huge but Duke has nobody down low to compete.

Edit: wait, hold on. I'm being told Josh Hairston is returning for his senior season. So disregard my prior thought.

We're all going to be eating crow next year when Hairston is ACC Player of the Year and a 1st team All-American

These kids must not have watched the Duke-Louisville game.

Or paid attention to the fact it's a down draft, according to the experts.

Still, part of me does admire kids who want to say in school and enjoy the college life for a bit longer. Like you said, I hope it works out for him.

KingGondo

Banned
Thrilled to be getting Smart back.

Guy is legit, and I think he'll still be a top 10 pick even in next year's strong draft. His draft stock is based on his physical and mental talents, and the weaknesses in his game can be remedied with hard work--every indication is that he's a very hard worker.

Just wish we had a better coach to take advantage of his talents.

Thrilled to be getting Smart back.

Guy is legit, and I think he'll still be a top 10 pick even in next year's strong draft. His draft stock is based on his physical and mental talents, and the weaknesses in his game can be remedied with hard work--every indication is that he's a very hard worker.

Just wish we had a better coach to take advantage of his talents.

He'd be a top 5 pick this year. Leaving guaranteed money on the table to compete in a draft with Wiggins, Parker, and Randle. Not a good move.

TheNatural

My Member!
He does it every year.

WE'RE A TWO SEED BELOW ARIZONA? BULLSHIT!

:p

PS - I also like how it's so early that there's not even a separate conference for the AAC and New Big East and they're still all lumped into one.
Well sites don't usually start referring to new changes until they actually happen. By July 1, you'll see a full transition on most competent websites.

Hardaway Jr. jumping seems like a bad decision unless his upside is much less than I'm imagining purely based on pedigree. I can't imagine money is a huge issue beyond wanting some of his own, but he's towards the back of a mediocre pack this year. And I played a shit ton of NBA Live '98 usually with the Heat, so I'm a big fan of anyone named Tim Hardaway.

Who all is left to decide at this point? Russ Smith I'm still thinking will go—looks like early second round, and I'm sure he can find a spot on a roster.

If Hardaway is at the back of a bad pack this year, then he's right to go. It seems as if stock doesn't typically improve the more they see you.

These are the people still on Chad Ford's decision radar

ONE FOOT IN THE DOOR
Players leaning toward declaring for the draft but haven't officially announced their intentions

Shane Larkin, PG, So., Miami
Kelly Olynyk, C, Jr., Gonzaga
Adreian Payne, PF, Jr., Michigan State
C.J. Wilcox, SG, Jr., Washington

50-50
Players who are still deciding about declaring for the draft

Isaiah Austin, PF, Fr., Baylor
C.J. Fair, F, Jr., Syracuse
Gary Harris, SG, Fr., Michigan State
Ray McCallum, PG, Jr., Detroit
Mitch McGary, F/C, Fr., Michigan
Doug McDermott, F, Jr., Creighton
Andre Roberson, F, Jr., Colorado
Glenn Robinson III, F, Fr., Michigan
Rasheed Sulaimon, SG, Fr., Duke

Sulaimon's thinking of declaring for the draft?

From what I've heard I thought he'd be back for sure.

I think Ford simply lists anyone he projects as reasonably draftable unless told otherwise, to be honest. Then he lists people who aren't but think they are.

On the other hand, he would also probably be aware of anyone putting out feelers to try to gauge their own status, and it's possible that Sulaimon or someone close to him did just that.

Sulaimon's staying.

He could... maybe get drafted now, but he has a lot to gain and little to lose if he comes back.

Scratch that, he'd definitely get drafted second round. But still not worth it and I think he knows that.

KingGondo

Banned
He'd be a top 5 pick this year. Leaving guaranteed money on the table to compete in a draft with Wiggins, Parker, and Randle. Not a good move.
The big money in the NBA is in the second contract. If he's as good as he seems to be, he's only costing himself one year of rookie salary over a long career for the price of playing on a pretty loaded team next year.

As long as he doesn't massively regress or get injured you can't really say it was a mistake.

Bowser

The big money in the NBA is in the second contract. If he's as good as he seems to be, he's only costing himself one year of rookie salary over a long career for the price of playing on a pretty loaded team next year.

As long as he doesn't massively regress or get injured you can't really say it was a mistake.

...it's a mistake. I know you're happy your team will be better, but you don't pass up top 5 money.

This sums it up well: http://college-basketball.si.com/20...reportedly-will-return-to-school-wow-and-why/

Gary Harris to return.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9186334/gary-harris-michigan-state-spartans-return-sophomore-season

B1G has been pillaged by early entry this offseason thus far.
Indiana - Oladipo, Zeller
Michigan - Burke, Hardaway Jr. (no word yet on GRIII and McGary)
tOSU - D. Thomas

Payne is 50/50 on whether he's staying. Just with Harris back.....I think that's enough to make Sparty the B1G favorite over OSU. If Payne comes back, they're the unquestioned favorite. I'd put Wisky 3rd (Dekker will beast next season if Bo lets him).

My big question with Sparty next year is Keith Appling. How good can they be when he is their 'point' guard?
The guy is a solid combo guard, gives you slashing ability, some defense, the occasional (and I stress occasional) perimeter shot.....but he's been so up and down most of his career. He doesn't see the floor that well in terms of setting his teammates up. They'd be better off if they could move him to the 2/3 spot with Harris.
Let Trice handle the point, or even let Denzel Valentine play a point forward role. He passes and sees the floor far better than Appling does.

I'm thinking MSU, especially if they get Payne back, wins the B1G.
Could they make a Final Four? No question, especially with Izzo. But I just think in the end they'll be a really good team at best. I don't think their ceiling is as high as some of the other top teams next year. There's no Mateen Cleaves, Kalin Lucas quality point to run the show. Or even a Marcus Taylor (why did this kid leave early?) or Drew Neitzel quality ball handler.

Then again, it's all academic since Kentucky is going to wreck everyone's shit next year.
If they land Wiggins, they've got a great shot to be the first team since the 76' Hoosiers to run the table. :(

The big money is certainly in the second contract, but he's costing himself a year of that big money. Playing careers are finite. He's taking another year of playing unpaid, then he will have the same length of rookie contract that he would have had, which gives him net less time to earn that big money on the second+ contract. He is also going to have another year with scouts who will pick his game apart because they will see him more, which means he'll slide down the board and end up lower on the rookie pay scale, costing himself more money, while the next crop of freshman come in and dominate the top 5 and 10.

TheNatural

My Member!
Gary Harris to return.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9186334/gary-harris-michigan-state-spartans-return-sophomore-season

B1G has been pillaged by early entry this offseason thus far.
Indiana - Oladipo, Zeller
Michigan - Burke, Hardaway Jr. (no word yet on GRIII and McGary)
tOSU - D. Thomas

Payne is 50/50 on whether he's staying. Just with Harris back.....I think that's enough to make Sparty the B1G favorite over OSU. If Payne comes back, they're the unquestioned favorite. I'd put Wisky 3rd (Dekker will beast next season if Bo lets him).

My big question with Sparty next year is Keith Appling. How good can they be when he is their 'point' guard?
The guy is a solid combo guard, gives you slashing ability, some defense, the occasional (and I stress occasional) perimeter shot.....but he's been so up and down most of his career. He doesn't see the floor that well in terms of setting his teammates up. They'd be better off if they could move him to the 2/3 spot with Harris.
Let Trice handle the point, or even let Denzel Valentine play a point forward role. He passes and sees the floor far better than Appling does.

I'm thinking MSU, especially if they get Payne back, wins the B1G.
Could they make a Final Four? No question, especially with Izzo. But I just think in the end they'll be a really good team at best. I don't think their ceiling is as high as some of the other top teams next year. There's no Mateen Cleaves, Kalin Lucas quality point to run the show. Or even a Marcus Taylor (why did this kid leave early?) or Drew Neitzel quality ball handler.

Then again, it's all academic since Kentucky is going to wreck everyone's shit next year.
If they land Wiggins, they've got a great shot to be the first team since the 76' Hoosiers to run the table. :(

Then again if they don't, and they have another major injury and/or some eligibility problems, it could all collapse. Too early to tell.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Yup not surprised but a little disappointed. Fully expecting Glenn and Mitch to go too at this point.
Hardaway made sense. There is little remaining upside for him to stay in college. I could understand if McGary leaves after his impressive tournament run, though I think he could really benefit from a full year playing at that level. Robinson would be inexplicable. He definitely needs more time in college. It's not worth leaving just to take advantage of a bad draft, I think.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Robinson would be inexplicable. He definitely needs more time in college. It's not worth leaving just to take advantage of a bad draft, I think.

I'd agree that its inexplicable that a team would want to draft him in the top 10 this year but not inexplicable that he'd strongly consider entering the draft if he were going to go that high.

Then again if they don't, and they have another major injury and/or some eligibility problems, it could all collapse. Too early to tell.

Yeah no question that a major injury or team chemistry issues could derail them a bit.

But I fear that next season in college basketball will be like watching this year's NBA Playoffs.

I'm an NBA fan but to me this will be the least suspenseful playoffs in recent memory. Everyone knows the Heat are going to win the championship (barring an injury to Lebron or Wade).

Kentucky next year could be the exact same way. I will try and enjoy Indiana's season like always.....but the suspense in terms of who is winning the title won't be there.

I think if UK lands Wiggins........it will take a Villanova vs. Gtown' 85 type performance (team shooting 78.6% range) to knock them out. I'm being a bit hyperbolic but I do think it'll take a near perfect game to beat them.

Hope I'm wrong about that but that's the way I see it right now. Hopefully Wiggins sees the light and goes elsewhere, thus injecting a little bit of suspense back in next year's season.

But what is the upside to his playing another year in Stillwater? He's not gonna improve his stock. He's not gonna earn money. He might get injured. As far as I can tell, he's not really a raw talent in the vein of GRIII who needs another year to learn how to play basketball.

This draft is thin at the PG, where-ever he lands he will get plenty of playing time. He's going to get better at basketball by playing against better competition.

It's great news for the athletic department and the fans. Not so much for Marcus Smart.

If you're ready, you're ready. And he's definitely ready.

Top Bottom