• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Maybe he just wants to win something at Okie Lite before leaving. I think it's admirable. I wish more star players felt that way.

SENTIMENTS MAKE YOU WEAK.

That was a great decision by Rivers, he has no physical talent or upside and would have been second round pick if he stayed another year in college.

I don't know. It's hard for me to see him fall below where he was last year given how much better that draft was than this year's. Regardless of how you think he is now, it's pretty clear that Rivers was the best player on our team that season, and I don't expect him to fall off against weaker competition.

I mean, who from this year other than Noel goes above Drummond?

In the mean time, he could've learned some court vision. He definitely could've used it.

Lmfao @ the top pic. Yeah, Why Not Brook is what it is. I actually like Westbrook as a player, but he does some dumb shit on offense sometimes.

Also, did you guys see this poll on ESPN? The results are a little weird :lol

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=ncb&pollId=3638831
Yeah I was talking about Westbrook. He really didn't show nothing at UCLA and just thinking Shabazz going the same route as him if he's gonna turn out to be a great basketball player.

DominoKid

Yall need to get on Twitter. It's the shit. It makes the famous people so touchable, at least the ones that actually like interacting w/ their fans.

I don't know. It's hard for me to see him fall below where he was last year given how much better that draft was than this year's. Regardless of how you think he is now, it's pretty clear that Rivers was the best player on our team that season, and I don't expect him to fall off against weaker competition.

I mean, who from this year other than Noel goes above Drummond?

In the mean time, he could've learned some court vision. He definitely could've used it.

AR has court vision. He just doesn't want to pass the ball. He could've been a hell of a PG if he really put his mind into it. But that'd require a change in his mental makeup that I don't think he could make. I always assumed that's why Doc sent AR to Duke, for K to break him down, but I guess even K couldn't get through to him. It often seemed like yall played around him instead of with him.

AR has court vision. He just doesn't want to pass the ball. He could've been a hell of a PG if he really put his mind into it. But that'd require a change in his mental makeup that I don't think he could make. I always assumed that's why Doc sent AR to Duke, for K to break him down, but I guess even K couldn't get through to him. It often seemed like yall played around him instead of with him.

That's about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop.

He just doesn't have a good grasp of spacing on the court. The number of times he dribbled into bad situations.

Fjordson

Wtf @ that 14 year old. Insanity. Though is it just me or do his crossovers look illegal as shit. Like carrying or something, the ball is practically above his head.

And that Hairston quote is scary considering UK plays them in December. With his size and shooting stroke he could turn into a beast so long as Roy gives him his run.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wtf @ that 14 year old. Insanity. Though is it just me or do his crossovers look illegal as shit. Like carrying or something, the ball is practically above his head.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. But that also speaks to how freakishly explosive he is for a freshman to still be able to blow by people like that even with all the wasted movement.

The state of Michigan has two freshmen phenoms in Cassius Winston and Josh Jackson but neither looks like quite the freak this kid does.

And somewhere George Costanza is mildly annoyed by his name.

Fjordson

Haha, I remember that episode. Seven was one of the names he suggested.

Also, the Nike Hoop Summit is on ESPN 2 in like 15 minutes. Usually way more competitive than the all-star games so I'm going to watch. Wiggins and company beat the US last year, but this class is way better than last year's so it should be a good game.

Fjordson

Few days late here, but the World team spanked the US. They packed it in with a zone and the US didn't bother to get any consistent shooters on the squad for some reason. US also didn't have a single player taller than 6-9, which killed them on the glass because the World team had two 7 footers and a 6-11 guy from France.

Jabari looked great, Julius Randle and Andrew Harrison looked great, Kasey Hill had some nice plays in transition. Everyone else for USA was just decent.

Now we just have Wiggins' decision and then the long wait until the fall. As someone who isn't into baseball, summer really sucks as far as sports go once the NBA playoffs are done.

Bowser

Congrats UK, the fact that Cal was the only one who got to follow up on his OV in person speaks volumes to where he's going IMO

Fjordson

His coach said on Twitter he's stuck in Portland because of flight cancellations after the Nike Hoop Summit. Might not mean too much actually.

Bowser

Paige/Britt/Davis
McDonald/Paige
Hairston/Tokoto
McAdoo/Johnson/Hicks/Simmons
Hubert/James/Meeks

I think that's definitely a Sweet 16 team, potentially Elite 8 if one of the centers can step up their games. Not much wing depth though.

Rob Fulford @rfulford

Andrew will be still be speaking with everyone by phone. Hasn't made it in from Portland yet. Has been stuck in airports with cancellations

It's not officially over yet, but....congrats UK.

Fjordson

I don't know, seems too obvious for a recruit that has had everyone in the dark throughout the entire process :lol

I still say 1. UNC 2. FSU then UK and Kansas as the underdogs.

Sounds like a mixture of flight troubles and general exhaustion from dealing with his recruitment. This may have been what he needed to finally decide to wrap it up, though I'm not sure that it means anything about a particular lean.

Bowser

Sounds like a mixture of flight troubles and general exhaustion from dealing with his recruitment. This may have been what he needed to finally decide to wrap it up, though I'm not sure that it means anything about a particular lean.

I'm less FML than I was when the only news was that the visits were cancelled, but it's still a blow to the other coaches not to be able to meet with him in person (although I'm not sure what they could tell him that he doesn't already know yet)

Bowser

Roy Hibbert ‏@Hoya2aPacer
Congrats to @THANS50 he's getting his own ESPN 30 for 30 about his career at sum school called UNC. Tweet him to congratulate him!

I can't tell if he's joking or not lol

The only thing is it seemed like Roy's chance to close and now I feel a lot better about UK's chances.

Roy Hibbert ‏@Hoya2aPacer
Congrats to @THANS50 he's getting his own ESPN 30 for 30 about his career at sum school called UNC. Tweet him to congratulate him!

I can't tell if he's joking or not lol

Guessing it would be even worse than the Kansas one.

TheNatural

My Member!
nwcBt1h.jpg

Really wish I had front row seats to the Final Four ...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Rob Fulford @rfulford

Andrew will be still be speaking with everyone by phone. Hasn't made it in from Portland yet. Has been stuck in airports with cancellations

It's not officially over yet, but....congrats UK.

If Wiggins goes to UK, this is one of the few times the "thanks Obama" meme will be justified.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan has added Stanford to their schedule for next year. Will be playing at the Barclays center.

So far Michigan's early schedule look like this....

2013 Puerto Rico Tip Off: Auburn, Charlotte, Florida State, Georgetown, Kansas State, Long Beach State, Michigan and VCU

vs. Arizona
at Iowa State
vs. Stanford (Barclays Center)

Fjordson

Not sure on the practice stuff having never played college ball myself, but I guess more practice is good.

The shot clock change is interesting. I've never been a huge fan of lowering it, especially not down to 24 like some fans say, since I don't think it would necessarily improve the game. Would take out a lot of the different offensive sets you get to see in college that aren't in the pro game, could simply result in more garbage shots at the end of the clock, etc. 30 seems like a pretty good compromise, though. Should be fine as long as they don't go down to 24.

This won't happen since I don't see too many people complaining about it, but I think they could do with some changes to timeouts. I mean maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like the college game has like 60 timeouts every goddamn game. Between the timeouts for each team, the media timeouts, and college refs being pretty slow with any sort of replay review the games lose any semblance of flow sometimes.

I assume they'll never touch the media timeouts for business reasons, so maybe take one or two away from the teams. There's no reason play needs to be stopped as much as it is these days.

WHAT ABOUT PURITY OF THE GAME?

This Bulls Nets game is absolute dogshit and it's still more fun to watch than all but a handful of the college games I saw last year.

How about a game that looks less like football and more like basketball.
30 second shot clock,
no hand checks!
6 personal fouls.

...and then let that settle for a few years before we do anything else.

WHAT ABOUT PURITY OF THE GAME?

This Bulls Nets game is absolute dogshit and it's still more fun to watch than all but a handful of the college games I saw last year.
The NBA game got a lot more interesting from a pure basketball perspective once they got rid of hand checking. Help defense became A Thing again, and the game benefited immensely.

The league is still fubar by the long regular season and the fact that more than half the league makes the playoffs.... and competitive balance. There have been 9 different champions since 1980. 7 won multiple titles in that span. The rest of the league might as well not exist.

TheNatural

My Member!
Handchecking isn't hurting the game, it's post play and letting players grab cutting players. There's no freedom of movement inside the arc.

I would take a 30 second shot clock change, as well as stop making the 10 second backcourt reset when the ball goes out of bounds.

Handchecking isn't hurting the game, it's post play and letting players grab cutting players. There's no freedom of movement inside the arc.

I would take a 30 second shot clock change, as well as stop making the 10 second backcourt reset when the ball goes out of bounds.
Hate this idea, FWIW. I'd sooner see it go to an 8 count (like the NBA) than screwing with the backcourt rule just because everyone pretends it's a good idea.

Good call on the grabbing jerseys though. I guess I'm lumping "hindering an offensive player by grabbing him" together, whether it's the cutters or ballhandlers.

Also, if you think handchecking isn't hurting the game you should watch Wisconsin and Purdue play in the B1G! Actually, don't, just take my word for it.

immensely.

The league is still fubar by the long regular season and the fact that more than half the league makes the playoffs.... and competitive balance. There have been 9 different champions since 1980. 7 won multiple titles in that span. The rest of the league might as well not exist.

Eh, entertaining lottery teams like the T-Wolves, the Cavs, and the Wizaaaaards didn't really exist 10 years ago. There's so much more talent in the NBA now that there's always an awesome game on every night if you've got league pass.

As to the competitive balance, talent just wins out in the end in basketball.

Outside the Thunder last year, the Western Conference has only sent 3 teams to the finals since 1999. Lakers, Spurs, Mavs. And they happen to have Dirk, Duncan, and Kobe on those teams, only the 3 best players of their generation.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hate this idea, FWIW. I'd sooner see it go to an 8 count (like the NBA) than screwing with the backcourt rule just because everyone pretends it's a good idea.

Good call on the grabbing jerseys though. I guess I'm lumping "hindering an offensive player by grabbing him" together, whether it's the cutters or ballhandlers.

Also, if you think handchecking isn't hurting the game you should watch Wisconsin and Purdue play in the B1G! Actually, don't, just take my word for it.

You hate the idea that the backcourt 10 second call resets when the defense gets a deflection and knocks the ball out? No one is pretending anything, I think it's pretty much universal consensus that it's a bail out for the offense and penalizes good defense. I can live with an 8 second call as well, Pitino would double his turnover rate if that occurred.

Handchecking in the hands of the quality of officials in the NCAA would ruin the game. They can't even call blatant shit now, I would hate to see all the clean steals turn into fouls.

Fjordson

NBA is great to watch because of all the talent, but I still get more excited by the college game because it isn't as predictable. With the big upsets and the tournament.

The NBA has never had parity, but I guess I'm just noticing it more as I get older. Like the playoffs right now feel so dull because really only 2 teams have any hope of taking down Miami.

You hate the idea that the backcourt 10 second call resets when the defense gets a deflection and knocks the ball out? No one is pretending anything, I think it's pretty much universal consensus that it's a bail out for the offense and penalizes good defense. I can live with an 8 second call as well, Pitino would double his turnover rate if that occurred.
Why is deflecting the ball out of bounds worthy of some extra reward?

In regards to "bailing out" the offense, so what? It makes going for the steal a more risk/reward thing, rather than reward/reward.

Eh, entertaining lottery teams like the T-Wolves, the Cavs, and the Wizaaaaards didn't really exist 10 years ago. There's so much more talent in the NBA now that there's always an awesome game on every night if you've got league pass.
Who cares? Total lack of competitive balance mean those are glorified exhibition games. But don't get me wrong, I love watching some preseason NFL!

As to the competitive balance, talent just wins out in the end in basketball.
When every playoff series is a best of 7
and the superstars get all the calls
talent wins out...

Top Bottom