• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

TheNatural

My Member!
Why is deflecting the ball out of bounds worthy of some extra reward?

In regards to "bailing out" the offense, so what? It makes going for the steal a more risk/reward thing, rather than reward/reward.

The offense is still in the backcourt when they inbounds it. It makes no fucking sense to restart the count, they still hadn't advanced the ball past the half court line. Should every deflection out of bounds restart the shot clock too?

Bowser

The ACC conference schedules are leaking

Duke plays home and homes with Georgia Tech, Wake, Syracuse, and UNC.

This season will see the first time Duke plays at ND since 95, the first time they play at Pitt in more than 30 years, and the first time they've ever played Syracuse at the Carrier Dome (or CIS for that matter).

ACC's last fuck you to Maryland - no home games with UNC or Duke (or NCSU, but meh, not really a fuck you, is it?)

TheNatural

My Member!
Local reporter tweeting that Russ Smith will be back next year, announcement tomorrow. This puts us back in the top 5 next year if true. Time for another Final Four run.

Drew Deener ‏@Drew_Deener 39m
2nd source confirmed but sd 'keep in mind.. It's russ'. Feedback from nba was if he improves body, shot select. And A/TO. Cud b 1st Rd in'14

Drew Deener ‏@Drew_Deener 41m
Just heard from a very good source that Russ Smith is going to announce tomorrow that he is returning to UofL for his senior year

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Local reporter tweeting that Russ Smith will be back next year, announcement tomorrow. This puts us back in the top 5 next year if true. Time for another Final Four run.

Drew Deener ‏@Drew_Deener 39m
2nd source confirmed but sd 'keep in mind.. It's russ'. Feedback from nba was if he improves body, shot select. And A/TO. Cud b 1st Rd in'14

Drew Deener ‏@Drew_Deener 41m
Just heard from a very good source that Russ Smith is going to announce tomorrow that he is returning to UofL for his senior year

Smart kid.

I also saw this on Twitter....

TheDevilsDen.com ‏@TheDevilsDen 58m
Duke visiting Tarik Black tonight for a visit. To say it's a big visit would be somewhat of an understatement.

Marshall Plumlee underwent foot surgery today and will miss a good chunk of the summer.

He's now the third Blue Devil to get surgery on a lower-leg ailment in the past month (with Kelly and Curry).

ACC's last fuck you to Maryland - no home games with UNC or Duke (or NCSU, but meh, not really a fuck you, is it?)

Now I get to hear from Terp fans that they won the last game they ever played against Duke at Comcast.

They'll probably be hanging up a banner for it.

Fjordson

Louisville going to be really good again with Smith back.

Man, UK's out of conference schedule is going to be tough. Louisville, UNC, and MSU are all potential top five teams (especially U of L and MSU).

The offense is still in the backcourt when they inbounds it. It makes no fucking sense to restart the count, they still hadn't advanced the ball past the half court line. Should every deflection out of bounds restart the shot clock too?
"it makes no sense" isn't really an argument one way or the other, since I could say the same about the 10 second count to begin with, or the 35 second clock, or the fact that the offense starts shooting free throws after 7 fouls in a half.

The 10 second count forces the offense to bring the ball up relatively quickly (to speed the game up), and implicitly to reward the defense for playing full court. That is its purpose. It resets because someone decided that it would give the defense too much of an advantage to not have it reset. There's no danger in sabotaging the speed of the game by resetting the 10 second count, because you still have the shot clock (which doesn't reset, as noted) as a sort of safety net to keep things moving. It's purely a question of balance and fairness, not "sense".

I'd be very hesitant to change that rule -- and in general any rule, without careful consideration. It's one of those rules that benefits teams with less physical talent. Or, put another way, skewing it in the favor of defense hurts mid-majors, which hurts the reason most people tune into March Madness (upsets).

Don't try to hurt the game just so your favorite team can force more turnovers.

Smart kid.

I also saw this on Twitter....

TheDevilsDen.com ‏@TheDevilsDen 58m
Duke visiting Tarik Black tonight for a visit. To say it's a big visit would be somewhat of an understatement.

I'd like to not have to rely on transfers for frontcourt depth, but that's what happens when you miss on every single big-time center you recruit outside of the Clan Plumlee.

And besides, who needs this guy, when you have Future Hall of Famer Josh Hairston in the cut.

And now Hairston's getting surgery on his thumb.

TheNatural

My Member!
"it makes no sense" isn't really an argument one way or the other, since I could say the same about the 10 second count to begin with, or the 35 second clock, or the fact that the offense starts shooting free throws after 7 fouls in a half.

The 10 second count forces the offense to bring the ball up relatively quickly (to speed the game up), and implicitly to reward the defense for playing full court. That is its purpose. It resets because someone decided that it would give the defense too much of an advantage to not have it reset. There's no danger in sabotaging the speed of the game by resetting the 10 second count, because you still have the shot clock (which doesn't reset, as noted) as a sort of safety net to keep things moving. It's purely a question of balance and fairness, not "sense".

I'd be very hesitant to change that rule -- and in general any rule, without careful consideration. It's one of those rules that benefits teams with less physical talent. Or, put another way, skewing it in the favor of defense hurts mid-majors, which hurts the reason most people tune into March Madness (upsets).

Don't try to hurt the game just so your favorite team can force more turnovers.

They didn't bring the ball up yet, the clock shouldn't reset. Most people agree with this. It's how the shot clock works, it's logical.

Don't cry because Louisville owned Michigan's ass in the title game. Maybe your team will learn how to play defense in the future and you won't cry that breathing on someone is a foul.

TheNatural

My Member!
Officially the Russ ... HAS COME BACK ... to the Ville.

Pitino presser going on. Wants to be first in family to graduate, repeat as champs, add 10 pounds of muscle to get ready for the pros and work on his game.

Good decision by Russ.
They didn't bring the ball up yet, the clock shouldn't reset. Most people agree with this. It's how the shot clock works, it's logical.

Don't cry because Louisville owned Michigan's ass in the title game. Maybe your team will learn how to play defense in the future and you won't cry that breathing on someone is a foul.
Did you just accuse me of being a Michigan fan? That's slander if I've ever seen it!

NewLib

Banned
Officially the Russ ... HAS COME BACK ... to the Ville.

Pitino presser going on. Wants to be first in family to graduate, repeat as champs, add 10 pounds of muscle to get ready for the pros and work on his game.

Probably a good decision by Russ. Louisville should be #1 overall to start next year even though I am curious how they replace Dieng's production

Allen, a 6-­foot-­4 shooting guard, averaged 19.3 points per game for the Florida 3A state champions. Like the great player he is, Allen scored 31 and 27 points, respectively in the finals and semifinals en route to the title.

Clutch

Allen always knew he wanted to attend Duke. Last July, he experienced a meteoric rise and let it be known that if Duke offered him a scholarship, the Blue Devils would be difficult to trump. At the time of Allen’s statement he was barely a blip on the national recruiting scene. Neither Florida nor Duke had shown much interest, yet Allen had his sights set on the biggest stages.

The memory is as clear as the commitment. Allen calmly said he wanted to play at Duke and thought in time the Blue Devils would notice him. He was right. Within the month Duke had laid eyes on him but still hadn’t offered.

Everything changed, however, this month when Duke conducted its in­home visit with the junior.

“It’s so exciting to say that’s your dream school and see this kid work his butt off, be recruited and then get offered by Coach K,” Providence School coach Jim Martin said. “He put his head on that pillow at night thinking about playing for Duke. It gives you goose bumps thinking about that story. Everyone here is so proud of him.”

Blue-blooded

Allen, a 4.0 GPA student, is ranked by ESPN as the No. 36 overall junior and No. 8 shooting guard in the 2014 class. He’s the kind of kid who leaves an impression when you meet him. This is a player who sets the tone with his hard work and is a leader by action. When you call schools to learn about a player and he’s universally liked and respected, you know you’re dealing with a complete package.

On the court, Allen blends athleticism with IQ. An attack-mode player, he’s unselfish and doesn’t command the ball in order to impact a game.

Scrappy

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=3487

Blue Devil confirmed.

TheNatural

My Member!
Probably a good decision by Russ. Louisville should be #1 overall to start next year even though I am curious how they replace Dieng's production

Dieng isn't going to be replaced stat for stat, although Harrell at the 5 would be perfectly fine with Van Treese as a veteran scrapper back is fine as well. The rest will depend on how Price, Mango, and Agau develop with basically no experience.

That's all fine though really, next year is extremely weak in the frontcourt. UK has Cauley-Stein and Randle, Michigan has McGary back, and IU has Vonleh coming in, but it won't be a big man's game next year in the NCAA. Much less in the AAC where it's basically completely devoid of any big men. Perfect year for us to get a ton of experience up front without risking a lot of losses.

Allen, a 4.0 GPA student, is ranked by ESPN as the No. 36 overall junior and No. 8 shooting guard in the 2014 class. He’s the kind of kid who leaves an impression when you meet him. This is a player who sets the tone with his hard work and is a leader by action. When you call schools to learn about a player and he’s universally liked and respected, you know you’re dealing with a complete package.

On the court, Allen blends athleticism with IQ. An attack-mode player, he’s unselfish and doesn’t command the ball in order to impact a game.

He's gonna be a shoo-in for med school.

Fjordson

So does this take you out of the running for Devin Booker or do you guys have room for another guard?

Also Booker picked up an offer from Coach Cal today.
Did he really? Interesting.

After Rashad Vaughn, I would have figured D'Angelo Russel would be the next guard for Cal to offer. He's from Louisville and goes to the same school as our 2013 center Dakari Johnson. Looked good in that National High School invitational thing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Did he really? Interesting.

After Rashad Vaughn, I would have figured D'Angelo Russel would be the next guard for Cal to offer. He's from Louisville and goes to the same school as our 2013 center Dakari Johnson. Looked good in that National High School invitational thing.

Well I wish he had!

Fjordson

As a Warriors fan, I can now say that I love Harrison Barnes :lol

He isn't consistent yet, but he has all-star potential. Some of the games I've watched of him this year were super impressive. Very athletic, great jumper, and a lockdown defender when he's into it. Can guard almost anyone on the floor save for the really big guys on the block.

His numbers aren't mind blowing, but starting all season on a 6 seed playoff team in the better conference and contributing is impressive.

Bowser

I wanted Barnes over MKG but DY kept telling me that was dumb.

Barnes was focused on playing within the secondary break system of Roy's, but to me it was obvious he thrives much more in a freelance environment. I think he would have easily put up 20+ ppg had he played at a school like UK. Hell, he averaged ~17ppg last year playing in Roy's big-man oriented system.

Fjordson

Yeah, he's doing very well in the GSW offense. With Curry and Klay Thompson hitting everything within 35 feet, some defenses overlook Barnes and then he starts scoring at will.

He had like 26 last game versus Denver and he barely looked like he was even trying. Especially with his jumper, he's got a great stroke.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I wanted Barnes over MKG but DY kept telling me that was dumb.

Barnes was focused on playing within the secondary break system of Roy's, but to me it was obvious he thrives much more in a freelance environment. I think he would have easily put up 20+ ppg had he played at a school like UK. Hell, he averaged ~17ppg last year playing in Roy's big-man oriented system.

Wing players don't typically thrive at UNC, Barnes was as ill suited for Carolina as a classic post player would be at Duke. The other thing is it took Barnes a while to adjust to the college game where the talent caught up with him a bit. To his credit, he adjusted to the pro game much faster. From what I've seen he's almost a completely different player than what he was at UNC.

ncb_e_pitino11_600.jpg

#ThugLyfe

Talon

Wing players don't typically thrive at UNC, Barnes was as ill suited for Carolina as a classic post player would be at Duke. The other thing is it took Barnes a while to adjust to the college game where the talent caught up with him a bit. To his credit, he adjusted to the pro game much faster. From what I've seen he's almost a completely different player than what he was at UNC.
Still thing that team could've lost a close one to Kentucky in the title game.

Top Bottom