• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Fjordson

I'm half a Tarheel fan tonight. Harrison fucking Barnes baby. He had another huge playoff game for the Warriors and helped seal the game for us with defense and a big free throw. Dude could turn into a great player if he keeps working at it.

Bowser

I'm half a Tarheel fan tonight. Harrison fucking Barnes baby. He had another huge playoff game for the Warriors and helped seal the game for us with defense and a big free throw. Dude could turn into a great player if he keeps working at it.

iC01cPf1X6QNa.gif

TheNatural

My Member!

So you're basically like an NC State, Wake Forest or Charlotte fan?

Kentucky's superteam for the year after next is taking shape.

ESPN Insider said:
It's widely known in recruiting circles that Jahlil Okafor (Chicago/Whitney Young) and Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley), Nos. 1 and 2 respectively in the class of 2014, would like to attend the same school together. 10th ranked Justise Winslow (Houston/Saint John's) has also been rumored to consider joining the duo in college. But in his most recent notebook, Dave Telep reports that class of 2014 No. 8 Cliff Alexander (Chicago/Curie) also may even be loosely on board.

Telep says a college coach told him that Jones is recruiting Alexander (Chicago/Curie) to join the group.

“Tyus is the ring leader,” the coach said. “They all want to play with him.”

Telep said that Jones did not deny the possibility of Alexander when he reached out to him. Overall, it's premature and unlikely that all four would play at the same school. But the fact Jones is taking initiative in this area makes us believe that at least two of these players will end up alongside each other in college.

Cal and Wesley are probably salivating reading this.

Fjordson

Holy shit at that group.

People keep saying Tyus and Okafor are Duke leans, I could see those two go there (though two one and dones in the same class seems high for Coach K). Hopefully the others go elsewhere for everyone else's sake :lol Especially Cliff Alexander. He said UK and MSU have been the two recruiting him hardest and that UK is his dream school.

I'm already prepared to not get Tyus and Okafor. People keep saying Mudiay will be the PG Cal gets next year and our frontcourt could be crowded with Karl Towns and holdovers from this year. Though I would really like Okafor. Dude is a beast.

jakncoke

Banned
The ACC conference schedules are leaking

Duke plays home and homes with Georgia Tech, Wake, Syracuse, and UNC.

This season will see the first time Duke plays at ND since 95, the first time they play at Pitt in more than 30 years, and the first time they've ever played Syracuse at the Carrier Dome (or CIS for that matter).

late to see this. but nice to see our home and away conference games, wonder how we'll do in our first year in the ACC. I was excited about next year till adams left

Holy shit at that group.

People keep saying Tyus and Okafor are Duke leans, I could see those two go there (though two one and dones in the same class seems high for Coach K). Hopefully the others go elsewhere for everyone else's sake :lol Especially Cliff Alexander. He said UK and MSU have been the two recruiting him hardest and that UK is his dream school.

I'm already prepared to not get Tyus and Okafor. People keep saying Mudiay will be the PG Cal gets next year and our frontcourt could be crowded with Karl Towns and holdovers from this year. Though I would really like Okafor. Dude is a beast.

Super groups of recruits are incredibly hard to get together, just because all of the guys have to want to go to the same team AND all of them have to fit the program's vision. That's why the Fab Five
and UK's class this year
are so remarkable.

Ultimately I think it falls through though. Duke's definitely not going to get all four guys (they're not even recruiting Alexander).

If these new Big Ten divisions applied in basketball, the East would be murderers' row. The Michigan schools, Indiana, tOSU are all consistent contenders and the Traitors usually make the tourney.

Hell, it's lopsided towards the East in football too.

Fjordson

#1 in all three. Yikes. I'm confident in the talent we have coming in since the '13 class is so much stronger than '12, but I'm still a little nervous with our tough early schedule (Louisville, Mich. State, North Carolina at Chapel Hill).

If I had to put money on it I'd say UK will be a very good team, but after the letdown last year I'd like to to at least see these new freshmen play a few games before putting them at #1 (or guaranteeing 40-0 like some our wacko fans).

W1SSY

#1 in all three. Yikes. I'm confident in the talent we have coming in since the '13 class is so much stronger than '12, but I'm still a little nervous with our tough early schedule (Louisville, Mich. State, North Carolina at Chapel Hill).

If I had to put money on it I'd say UK will be a very good team, but after the letdown last year I'd like to to at least see these new freshmen play a few games before putting them at #1 (or guaranteeing 40-0 like some our wacko fans).

Hell after last year I figured a lot of fans would have realized pre season rankings means next to nothing. That said I imagine UK will be strong next year but the Indiana fan in me wants them to crash and burn so I can watch another train wreck.

Rumors are that UofL and IU could play next year. Apparently Louisville has UK and UNC scheduled with another big opponent unannounced. That was discussed after the whole IU and UK schedule breakdown and I would love to see it happen. If we cannot play UK I would love to see us go against UofL every year.

Look Fjordson... It's hard for me to admit this, but UK fans are by far the most obnoxious in college basketball. I mean by FAR. Exceedingly arrogant and jealous. Just tune the 40-0 guys out. lol There are a LOT of them, though. Wiggins makes it seem like it's more possible.

Last year was a thin team. The Cats were nationally ranked when Noel went down. If he stays healthy, they definitely make the tourney.

NewLib

Banned
Apparently refusing to cooperate with the NCAA is an effective strategy in avoiding repercussions. Well it is if it involves a former Duke player

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently refusing to cooperate with the NCAA is an effective strategy in avoiding repercussions. Well it is if it involves a former Duke player

Duke and Coach K gave their full cooperation from the beginning, and Lance settled the lawsuit privately with the jeweler.

Guilty or not, it doesn't benefit him to say anything about the matter to the NCAA, so why would he? He resolved it on his own and moved on.

The only reason this story got any kind of spotlight at all is because it was a former Duke player.

Duke and Coach K gave their full cooperation from the beginning, and Lance settled the lawsuit privately with the jeweler.

Guilty or not, it doesn't benefit him to say anything about the matter to the NCAA, so why would he? He resolved it on his own and moved on.

The only reason this story got any kind of spotlight at all is because it was a former Duke player.

If there were any Memphis fans still here they might take issue with this. It didn't benefit Derek Rose to say anything to the NCAA either and they still declared him retroactively ineligible.

Of course the NCAA is also playing with kid gloves about the UNC stuff, which is a case of actual systemic academic corruption. If they're going to let the big guys off from things, it'd be nice to know that in advance.

Proelite

#dealwithit

As far as I am concerned, unless they find evidence that some booster gave Lance the money, everyone suspecting anything can suck my blue cock.

Fjordson

Look Fjordson... It's hard for me to admit this, but UK fans are by far the most obnoxious in college basketball. I mean by FAR. Exceedingly arrogant and jealous. Just tune the 40-0 guys out. lol There are a LOT of them, though. Wiggins makes it seem like it's more possible.

Last year was a thin team. The Cats were nationally ranked when Noel went down. If he stays healthy, they definitely make the tourney.
Yeah, that's true. Some of our fans are not totally in tune with reality.

Anyways, Calipari offered a 2016 guard by the name of Jayson Tatum this week. Pretty interesting since this is the first time he's ever offered a freshman as far as I'm aware. Don't know anything about the kid, but I assume he's pretty good at basketball.

Bowser

When did this happen.

Before signing his national letter of intent with Duke on Wednesday in Simeon's library, the 6-foot-8 forward pulled out a Florida shirt and did the Gator chomp in front of teammates, family and friends.

He was joking. The two-time Mr. Basketball of Illinois then put on a Duke shirt and signed with the Blue Devils, more than four months after making his oral commitment in December..

Parker said the Florida gag was a last-minute decision. After the momentary silence, he drew loud peals of laughter from the small crowd.

"I wanted to have some fun," he said. "It was real funny seeing everybody's facial expressions. They were real quiet. They didn't even clap."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...g-20130502_1_kendrick-nunn-jaylon-tate-simeon

Saban knows that the 3 point shot isn't as valuable in football as it is in basketball so Roy's strategy's will translate just fine

Fjordson

? All of UK's players eligible to graduate under Calipari have done so (and this year's team had six players on the academic honor roll).

Anyways, I just noticed that Boise State is getting top 25 rankings in some polls, which is surprising me because I had no idea they were any good. UK's non-conference schedule is going to be pretty tough next year. Can't wait to see how the new class handles all these difficult games early.

Bowser

Congrats to UNC fans.

? If this is in regards to "Wiggins to UNC," I don't believe that shit. I have no idea when this kid is going to pick a school, but I'm fairly certain it won't be the Heels.

In other news, UNC is pursuing Alabama transfer Trevor Lacey, a former 4* recruit. Started all 36 games for the Tide last year and averaged ~11ppg and ~3apg. He won't be eligible to play until the 2014-2015 season, but our only experience wing that year will be JP Tokoto, so landing him would be huge for depth and experience.

There's so bullshit floating around regarding Wiggins now, that I can't take anything seriously until I see the guy sign his name on the dotted line for one of these schools.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
After getting fucked by Trey Ziegler I can't stand players who wait this long to make a decision. It shouldn't be THAT hard when you are as good as Wiggins. He could go to a community college for a year and still be the #1 pick.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I wonder if anyone told him that Michigan has a couple of open spots left. He can come be an offensive force and defense will be optional.

Fjordson

You guys hear about this Ben McLemore controversy? Basically an AAU coach of his receiving a ton of benefits intended to steer him to Kansas.

I'm on my phone away from my PC so I haven't read the full story. Crazy stuff, though.

devilhawk

You guys hear about this Ben McLemore controversy? Basically an AAU coach of his receiving a ton of benefits intended to steer him to Kansas.

I'm on my phone away from my PC so I haven't read the full story. Crazy stuff, though.

Not crazy. Quite boring.

KU can't control AAU coaches. I figure every AAU coach is on the payroll of agents. They sure as hell aren't coaching for the love of the game.

You are wrong in saying it was to steer him to KU. It was to steer him to an agent as he was leaving KU. That needs to be clear.

Fjordson

Sorry guys, didn't get to read the story, just saw the headline on ESPN mobile earlier.

Though if any of this affected McLemore's amateur status, isn't that a violation to play him (through no fault of Kansas' staff, but you know how the NCAA is)?

It's crazy to me that literal cash is still used o influence players these days. It seems so dumb and risky. These agents are real scumbags.

Edit: sounds like the benefits were sent to McLemore's cousin? This whole thing has me a little confused. Why would McLemore's former AAU coach get money to steer him to the draft? Apparently without McLemore's knowledge? How would that convince him of anything?

Top Bottom