• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Damn, really? Seems surprising, Groce did a solid job this year I think.

Groce has not been playing around about making this program his. When he starts coaching his 2nd season at Illinois, he will only have 3 players (Abrams, Egwu, and Bertrand) remaining from Weber's roster. Insane! Seeing who he we are in on for the 2014 and 2015 classes he can get rid of whoever he wants to make room for those studs.

Fjordson

Groce has not been playing around about making this program his. When he starts coaching his 2nd season at Illinois, he will only have 3 players (Abrams, Egwu, and Bertrand) remaining from Weber's roster. Insane! Seeing who he we are in on for the 2014 and 2015 classes he can get rid of whoever he wants to make room for those studs.
I see. Well I can respect that. Best to get moving in your own direction as a new coach ASAP.

Damn, really? Seems surprising, Groce did a solid job this year I think.

Well, he did. None of the players Illinois lost are particulary good. Meanwhile they are trying to right the ship while taking Iowa State's title of Transfer U. Assuming Starks commits to Illinois, that will be 6 transfers in in 12 months. Sam McLaurin last year. Rayvonte Rice (Drake-two more years), John Ekey (Illinois State-final year) Starks (Oregon State-final year) would be eligible this year. Then Darius Paul (Western Michigan-MAC Freshman of year) and Aaron Cosby (Seton Hall-2 more years) next season.

Fjordson

Well, he did. None of the players Illinois lost are particulary good. Meanwhile they are trying to right the ship while taking Iowa State's title of Transfer U. Assuming Starks commits to Illinois, that will be 6 transfers in in 12 months. Sam McLaurin last year. Rayvonte Rice (Drake-two more years), John Ekey (Illinois State-final year) Starks (Oregon State-final year) would be eligible this year. Then Darius Paul (Western Michigan-MAC Freshman of year) and Aaron Cosby (Seton Hall-2 more years) next season.
Lol nice.

And yeah, it makes sense that there will be some transfers with a new coach, even when the new guy is doing well. I keep forgetting that they're only a single year removed from Webber.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

You guys are going to be the definition of a wildcard next year. But since Thomas seems to be going the Iowa route with your schedule you are going to need to win like 25 games just to get into the dance.

You guys are going to be the definition of a wildcard next year. But since Thomas seems to be going the Iowa route with your schedule you are going to need to win like 25 games just to get into the dance.

I have no problems with next years schedule. We have a million new players that are going to need time to gel with one another and with Groce. I say let em play cupcakes during this transition and hopefully we'll have some some semblance of team chemistry and a rotation set for the B1G conference portion of the schedule.

Has the Myke Henry thing been confirmed? He's the only loss that legit hurts. But I guess if he didn't want to play the 4 spot...

Darius Paul almost doesn't count as a normal transfer because he's BP3's little brother.

I have no problems with next years schedule. We have a million new players that are going to need time to gel with one another and with Groce. I say let em play cupcakes during this transition and hopefully we'll have some some semblance of team chemistry and a rotation set for the B1G conference portion of the schedule.
@UNLV, @Oregon, @Auburn, @ACC challenge game, Mizzou in St. Louis. Not hardest, but not easiest schedule either. Too many road games given the inexpierience IMO though.

Has the Myke Henry thing been confirmed? He's the only loss that legit hurts. But I guess if he didn't want to play the 4 spot...

Darius Paul almost doesn't count as a normal transfer because he's BP3's little brother.
I got Scout premium and they confirmed it there. Not sure why there hasn't been official word yet though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
@UNLV, @Oregon, @Auburn, @ACC challenge game, Mizzou in St. Louis. Not hardest, but not easiest schedule either. Too many road games given the inexpierience IMO though.

Yeah the Oregon game was actually announced right after I made my post about your schedule. That makes it a bit more respectable.

The full match-ups:

Tuesday, December 3
Indiana at Syracuse
Michigan at Duke
Notre Dame at Iowa
Florida State at Minnesota
Penn State at Pittsburgh
Illinois at Georgia Tech

Wednesday, December 4
North Carolina at Michigan State
Maryland at Ohio State
Miami at Nebraska
Wisconsin at Virginia
Boston College at Purdue
Northwestern at NC State

Wake Forest, Clemson, and Va. Tech will be sitting out.

The full match-ups:

Tuesday, December 3
Indiana at Syracuse
Michigan at Duke
Notre Dame at Iowa
Florida State at Minnesota
Penn State at Pittsburgh
Illinois at Georgia Tech

Wednesday, December 4
North Carolina at Michigan State
Maryland at Ohio State
Miami at Nebraska
Wisconsin at Virginia
Boston College at Purdue
Northwestern at NC State

Wake Forest, Clemson, and Va. Tech will be sitting out.

That's weak. One of those three should be in the loss against Ohio State instead of Maryland.

One efficient way to kill the sport is to hide its biggest games on TBS.

Completely ridiculous. OTOH they're taking the whole pot anyway since they don't pay players, so the less people that watch the better!

(yes, I know Turner gave them a truckload of money. It's the long-term value of CBB that's affected here... e.g, the thing the NCAA & friends care about)

Turner is also paying Conan truckloads of money to let his career fizzle out pulling in half the viewers that Carson Daly does two and a half hours later in the evening.

I think it's in most basic packages, but if it's in HD in your area you'd need to pay extra under most cable plans since they're all moving to encrypted QAM. I went from no cable to bundling a faster internet connection at a savings with basic broadcast and I get all of the local channels in HD (basically mirrored OTA) and the dude seems to have put the wrong filter on my cable box so I get every SD analog channel.

But really with the way things are going I'm sure we'll be watching less and less broadcasts and doing more streaming. I only touched the TV this year when I couldn't stand the 30 second delay or whatever the buffering created in the MMOD iOS app and site.

Fjordson

Yeah, streaming on various devices is the way of the future I think, though I have a pretty nice theatre setup so I'll probably just keep using my TV as my streaming device. Don't like watching something for too long on my iPad or PC.

At this point I really just have cable for three things. Live sports, HBO, and AMC for Mad Men. I don't watch anything else save for Around the Horn on ESPN :lol

And speaking of television coverage, what's the deal with the new SEC Network? Will I still be able to see all of Kentucky's games on ESPN/CBS on Saturdays since all of them are nationally televised? Or will I need the SEC network for some games? I'm a little confused as to what will actually be shown on that channel.

And speaking of television coverage, what's the deal with the new SEC Network? Will I still be able to see all of Kentucky's games on ESPN/CBS on Saturdays since all of them are nationally televised? Or will I need the SEC network for some games? I'm a little confused as to what will actually be shown on that channel.

CBS will still have the first pick for Saturday games and marquee games will still be on the big sticks, but I wouldn't worry too much about whether you get the SEC network—I suspect that will be in most/all basic packages.

thefro

Sounding like Evan Gordon (Eric Gordon's younger brother) is going to transfer from Arizona State to IU for his last season (graduated this year). Should be a pretty solid pickup for us.

Have to think that's good for our chances of getting Eron Gordon in a few years as well.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Sounding like Evan Gordon (Eric Gordon's younger brother) is going to transfer from Arizona State to IU for his last season (graduated this year). Should be a pretty solid pickup for us.

Have to think that's good for our chances of getting Eron Gordon in a few years as well.

From what I've heard Eron doesn't have a ton of interest in following in Eric's footsteps.

NCAA rules committee proposed changes

No more sliding charges!

*Cue everyone predicting the demise of Duke basketball.
3k5Fx.gif

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Well it looks like Michigan believes getting Evan will help with Eron too. From Brian Snow at Scout.......

Just to let you guys know, fifth year transfer from Arizona State Evan Gordon has an offer on the table from Michigan, and the Wolverines are at least pursuing the option of bringing him in. Obviously he is the younger brother of Eric Gordon and the older brother of 2016 Michigan prospect Eron Gordon.

Most expect him to end up at Indiana, but Jeff Meyer is at least trying, Meyer as many know was Eric Gordon Sr's college coach and coach Eric Gordon Jr at Indiana.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
NCAA rules committee proposed changes

No more sliding charges!

*Cue everyone predicting the demise of Duke basketball.

Its funny that no Duke game was listed as an egregious example of any of these rule changes. I think they should make the charge circle bigger. I guess Hairston is our lone charge taker now, as a whole, Duke isn't any better or worse than the rest of CBB right now in terms of charges, but they'll always be shit on for popularizing it (Battier) and then abusing it (Paulus)

Finally George O'Leary outdone. New Rutgers BB coach has some resume issues. Claimed a degree from Rutgers. I guess at least the school exists, unlike GOL.

Also, Rutgers apparently never made the call to the registrar's office to verify that degree.

Deadspin

Edit: We'll see the fallout, if any. As it is completely possible things could check out in the end.

Its funny that no Duke game was listed as an egregious example of any of these rule changes. I think they should make the charge circle bigger. I guess Hairston is our lone charge taker now, as a whole, Duke isn't any better or worse than the rest of CBB right now in terms of charges, but they'll always be shit on for popularizing it (Battier) and then abusing it (Paulus)

Get rid of the circle (as it just led to nearly everything outside of it being a charge) and start judging charge/blocks when a player is given an obvious advantage. I'd like to see way more blocking calls and reward plays on the ball—cleanish strips, blocks and other legitimate defensive maneuvers—with fewer calls. Now if you hear skin smack or judge something as a defender missing the ball almost completely, call it, but let the whistle favor a better game and start discouraging inaction (whether flopping or trying to draw a charge) being used to punish the offensive player for trying to do something exciting. Similarly I think jumping into the defender after a pump fake should be discouraged with no calls unless the contact was going to happen anyways (this is usually obvious in real time).

We're all too damn smart these days so we're always going to find ways to use the rules to our advantage, but the rules folks should be more proactive in rolling back some of the things that have made the game shittier over the past decade and change.

Top Bottom