• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

DominoKid

tfsqlj.jpg

i laughed so damn hard at this.

At least it wasn't Kentucky.

nice Orphan Black avy.

I had heard like a month ago that Wiggins hated Randle, and that he was going to go to whatever school he didn't pick.

I thought that was bullshit, but now, I'm not so sure.

If so, Randle ditching KU for UK was the best thing that ever happened to Kansas. (As of right now on paper)

Bowser

I had heard like a month ago that Wiggins hated Randle, and that he was going to go to whatever school he didn't pick.

I thought that was bullshit, but now, I'm not so sure.

If so, Randle ditching KU for UK was the best thing that ever happened to Kansas. (As of right now on paper)

That directly contradicts this from Scout.com a few days ago though:

Kansas swung and missed on Julius Randle, who ended up at Kentucky. Multiple sources indicated that had Randle ended up in Lawrence (Kan.), Wiggins was likely to follow.

From a premium article. Looks like Wiggins went to KU anyway.

Talon

Next year's going to be top heavy as hell. Will be great to watch.

This is what the Freshman class rule has wrought.

scoobs

If true, can't wait for all of my Kansas friends who don't really follow this stuff all that closely to celebrate tomorrow when they have a chance to look up who Wiggins is.

You have kansas friends who don't follow CBB? Must not be big kansas fans.... KU fans worship all things college bball.

Fjordson

Wow, I really didn't expect Wiggins to pick Kansas. What a crazy recruitment man.

Huge get for Kansas, they're going to be good. With Wayne Selden and Wiggins out on the wings, two of the best athletes in the class. Hot damn.

Via Twitter

@OSUADAthComm: Buckeye men's hoops will NOT host Wisconsin or Indiana next year and will NOT face Michigan or Northwestern on the road.

Fjordson

The Champions Classic in Chicago is going to be such a dope event this year now.

Jabari Parker and Duke versus Wiggins and Kansas. Then pre-season top 3 Michigan St. versus Kentucky. And on November 12th no less, basically kicking off the season.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Now time for the next big recruiting battle, who will get Tariq Black from Memphis.

He's visiting Kansas today and he visited Duke yesterday. Oregon is also said to be in the picture.

He's said to be a Duke lean, but I wonder how the Wiggins announcement will affect his decision.

KU has thet Embed kid and more depth at the post overall than Duke does. If he wants significant PT it'll be Duke. Crazy to think we could have a former Miss St player and a former Memphis player on next year's team.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Tarik Black is a Duke lean? Damn...Coach K is going to have another great team next year.

I don't know that he is, but he'll have less competition at Duke at the 5 than at KU with Lucas and Embiid. If you can't beat out Marshall Plumlee than basketball is probably not the sport for you.

I'm not too concerned either way. I expect K to run a faster tempo offense since he has the athletes to do it, meaning the 5 just needs to rebound and get a putback here or there. If Jefferson can add some weight I think he and Hairston will be up to the task. We absolutely cannot run a half court O. The Michigan game with McGary will be a great test. He's not huge for a 5 but he's got great skill. Depending on how many pts he drops on Duke, K may deal or go back to the drawing board.

lush

Better than FSU. KU should be good for his brand/legacy. Still think UK would've been the best move to maximize publicity.

I'm so stoked for the season to start.

This Duke team's gonna be one of the most entertaining teams K's ever had at Duke. Feels like just reward for having that amazing 2011 squad get wrecked by a freak injury.

*knock on wood.

Fjordson

i hope they all fuck each others girlfriends and end up w/ destructive team chemistry problems.
Lmao. UNC will be good also next year, don't worry.

Also, some of these writers on twitter singling out Kentucky fans for angry comments about Wiggins is in pretty poor form. I mean I saw this one SI article about it and most of the tweets linked to FSU or UNC fans...not sure why some act like UK is the only fanbase with jerkoffs in it. Smh @ that shit.

Wellscha

Also, some of these writers on twitter singling out Kentucky fans for angry comments about Wiggins is in pretty poor form. I mean I saw this one SI article about it and most of the tweets linked to FSU or UNC fans...not sure why some act like UK is the only fanbase with jerkoffs in it. Smh @ that shit.

Kentucky fans angry when they already have a star studded team? Jeez.

Fjordson

Kentucky fans angry when they already have a star studded team? Jeez.
It's incredibly stupid. Even if we had a shitty recruiting class, these recruits are barely adults. And they're going to be playing basketball. Of all the things in the world to get worked up about, college basketball recruiting is pretty low on the list. Or at least worked up enough to directly attack people.

I just meant with my previous post that I don't get why UK gets mentioned so much in all of this when you see it in every fanbase. To generalize all UK fans as these psychotic people camping on twitter waiting to trash 18 year old kids is pretty unfair. I mean shit, I don't even have a twitter account!

Oh well. Just a shame that for all the good social media does, you get this one major pitfall. That your average douche bag can potentially put a message directly in front of someone and so it gives them this desire to spew a bunch of garbage. I really feel bad for any major recruit with twitter or instagram or anything similar. The amount of bile they have to wade through on there is a little depressing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's incredibly stupid. Even if we had a shitty recruiting class, these recruits are barely adults. And they're going to be playing basketball. Of all the things in the world to get worked up about, college basketball recruiting is pretty low on the list. Or at least worked up enough to directly attack people.

I just meant with my previous post that I don't get why UK gets mentioned so much in all of this when you see it in every fanbase. To generalize all UK fans as these psychotic people camping on twitter waiting to trash 18 year old kids is pretty unfair. I mean shit, I don't even have a twitter account!

Oh well. Just a shame that for all the good social media does, you get this one major pitfall. That your average douche bag can potentially put a message directly in front of someone and so it gives them this desire to spew a bunch of garbage. I really feel bad for any major recruit with twitter or instagram or anything similar. The amount of bile they have to wade through on there is a little depressing.

UK is an SEC school and as such, is required by conference law to have a certain amount of psychotic and unrealistic fans, especially since they are carrying the flag for basketball.

Still could be worse. This will be forgotten about in a week. I have to see that Elton Brand letter every year as justification from some lame opinion piece as to why its okay to hate Duke. Horribly racists tweets posted a day ago? No biggie! A pretentious and naive letter when 99% of the fan base knew the player was going pro? AWFUL! BURN THAT PLACE TO THE GROUND.

Fjordson

UK is an SEC school and as such, is required by conference law to have a certain amount of psychotic and unrealistic fans, especially since they are carrying the flag for basketball.

Still could be worse. This will be forgotten about in a week. I have to see that Elton Brand letter every year as justification from some lame opinion piece as to why its okay to hate Duke. Horribly racists tweets posted a day ago? No biggie! A pretentious and naive letter when 99% of the fan base knew the player was going pro? AWFUL! BURN THAT PLACE TO THE GROUND.
Lmao, very true. It's a damn shame.

I mean you'd think fans would behave in the interest of future recruits. Not that I believe it has a huge influence, but it can't hurt to not be an asshole.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Yeah I think that's huge for you. You guys have a ton of talent but your roster seems to be very heavy on 3's and 4's and not much else. Another true guard will help balance things out a bit.

Bowser

I'm sure we'll be "good", but we won't be competing for a Final Four like some articles have hypothesized IMO. We're incredibly thin on the wings with only JP Tokoto and FR Nate Britt coming off the bench and we still have nothing but "potential" at the 5 spot. I think next season will be closer to last season than anything else. Sucks because the situation at Carolina for this one year was tailor made for Wiggins *sigh*

Talon

I'm sure we'll be "good", but we won't be competing for a Final Four like some articles have hypothesized IMO. We're incredibly thin on the wings with only JP Tokoto and FR Nate Britt coming off the bench and we still have nothing but "potential" at the 5 spot. I think next season will be closer to last season than anything else. Sucks because the situation at Carolina for this one year was tailor made for Wiggins *sigh*
Yeah, man, Wiggins and Hairston on the wings would've been a beauty. :(

DominoKid

Sweet 16 is best case scenario. that aint good enough for me. Roy has got to get the ship righted.

Yeah, man, Wiggins and Hairston on the wings would've been a beauty. :(

1337060774507.gif

Although part of me wants to see a great Duke team vs. a great Carolina team again. The series has been almost even since Roy got to UNC (he's 9-12 against Duke with UNC), but it seems like the past couple of years has been more or less trading periods of dominance(and blowouts).

UNC won 6 of 7 between 2006 and 2009 (also known as the Tyler Hansborough Era, or the Dark Ages in Durham)

Duke's won 7 of 9 since 2010

DominoKid

it'll be remembered as the Hansbrough years because he's the star, but Lawson was the insta-win button vs Duke.
Hansbrough caught a few Ls, but I don't think we ever lost vs Duke when Lawson played.

new Kwe' Parker (2016) tape. good gawd. 6'2" w/ his head on the rim. smh.
we have to get him, Seventh and Giles for sure. NC basketball talent is so exciting right now.

DominoKid

ACC "thoroughly investigating" moving ACCT to MSG

I understand wanting to grab that media market, but four-fifths of the league isn't going to travel to New York for the ACC tourney.

Duke, UNC, and Cuse fans, thats it.

One time thing, it could work.

Stationing it in New York? Naw

it's not like they travel to greensboro either...

its all the local teams because everybody else knows they aint winning for the most part. in the last 20 years i think only 4 winners have been non NC teams. and even then, most of those other 16 finals had 2 NC teams. if they stuck it in Tampa, DC and Atlanta they can to stick it in NY a few times. get that money ACC.

Fjordson

Final Four could be tough, but you never know. Last year's UNC team looked much better towards the end of the year than in the beginning.

And your class for 2014 is already looking nice with two top 15 commitments.

DominoKid

yeah we went from NIT level to 2nd round exit level, even if that was partly because of bullshit seeding. i suppose it could be worse though but we're spoiled so that aint good enough.

losing Bullock and not gaining any wings pretty much solidifies that again because i'm still not expecting much out of the front court. I hope to god JMM learns how to play basketball and Hicks can rip it from Day 1 because if not...

Fjordson

JMM I can agree with. I really haven't been impressed with him when I've watched UNC these past two years. I mean his freshman year you guys were stacked so he didn't really play, but last year he didn't look great to me, save for a few games late in the year. Hopefully a season as a starter under his belt will help him get closer to his ceiling, since I actually think it's fairly high.

Talon

I hate watching JMM play. Just absolutely infuriating. He needs to learn to finish plays. Feel like he blew 2 plays at the rim every game.

DominoKid

the thing that kills me about JMM is that you can tell that he shoots before he's even got sight of the basket. i've never seen a post player throw it up and not even hit the rim w/ regularity like he does.

it's not like they travel to greensboro either...

its all the local teams because everybody else knows they aint winning for the most part. in the last 20 years i think only 4 winners have been non NC teams. and even then, most of those other 16 finals had 2 NC teams. if they stuck it in Tampa, DC and Atlanta they can to stick it in NY a few times. get that money ACC.

As long as they keep it rotating, New York is fine for a couple of times. I disagree with the people out there who think that now that some of the old BE teams have joined, the ACC should now park themselves in NYC for the next thirty years. The conference will never have enough of a base up there to sustain that.

Draxal

Yeah, I agree. It's stupid.

Pitt and Cuse (not as much) really need the tourney in NYC; Pitt needs it to keep its NYC pipeline.

As long as they keep it rotating, New York is fine for a couple of times. I disagree with the people out there who think that now that some of the old BE teams have joined, the ACC should now park themselves in NYC for the next thirty years. The conference will never have enough of a base up there to sustain that.

I'll shit on Cuse as much as anybody here, but as long as Boeheim's there enough Cuse fans in the area for it not to matter in basketball. If tobacco road didn't have such a hard on for Calhoun, they should have pickedup UConn, and they would have the two most popular bball teams in the NYC area.

Also, MSG won't be part of a rotation, you could get the Barclay Center for a rotation (I think it's the A10 hub now), but MSG is either going to be a permanent tourney hub; for the New Big East or what ever conference wants it.

Matugi

yeah we went from NIT level to 2nd round exit level, even if that was partly because of bullshit seeding. i suppose it could be worse though but we're spoiled so that aint good enough.

losing Bullock and not gaining any wings pretty much solidifies that again because i'm still not expecting much out of the front court. I hope to god JMM learns how to play basketball and Hicks can rip it from Day 1 because if not...

You're underestimating Joel James. He was starting to look solid at the end of the year and I would consider him the favorite to be the starting center.

Also as much as I love Reggie I think you are overstating his value. He was a money shooter from the perimeter but struggled making his own shot and would often go quiet for stretches. I think Leslie McDonald can pretty solidly replace him and hopefully Tokoto is coming along as well. I also think that making PJ the focus is going to propel the team, and his improved defense and tenacity will make him a force. I'm thinking 20 PPG and 7 RPG.

Bowser

You're underestimating Joel James. He was starting to look solid at the end of the year and I would consider him the favorite to be the starting center.

Also as much as I love Reggie I think you are overstating his value. He was a money shooter from the perimeter but struggled making his own shot and would often go quiet for stretches. I think Leslie McDonald can pretty solidly replace him and hopefully Tokoto is coming along as well. I also think that making PJ the focus is going to propel the team, and his improved defense and tenacity will make him a force. I'm thinking 20 PPG and 7 RPG.

mj-laughing.gif

From IC:

I just wanted to take a look at Leslie's stats last year against our better competition. The stats come from 17 games against our tougher competition. Leslie did miss 6 games last year so this is over half the games he played in. In these games UNC went 8-9, so I don't feel like I am just cherry-picking games when the team as a whole stunk it up. The teams that make up these games are Butler, IU, TX, UNLV, UVA x2, Miami x2, dook x 2, State, FSU x2, Maryland x 2, Villanova, and Kansas.

In these games Leslie averaged 17.41 mpg.
Overall Leslie shot 25-90 (27%), and 11-46 from 3pt land (24%)
He averaged 1.9 rpg, .5 apg, .4 spg, .5 t/o, and 1.5 PF per game.

To be fair, he did get to the line some, though I do not consider that to be a large part of his overall game. He's a pretty good FT shooter (comparatively) and that is an added bonus to the team.

Some observations: Not counting points from FTs those percentages equal about 3.6 ppg. The shooting percentages are pretty bad. The other numbers aren't great either. He doesn't hurt us with turn overs or excessive fouls, but doesn't really help a ton on the boards or with creating for teammates.

He is not known as a lock-down defender, but from what I understood from last year he does play pretty good positional defense.

But, those numbers are sobering. Even with added playing time and some incremental improvement we are likely talking less production than Strickland who was a lightning rod as the starting SG. Combine that with little expected production from our only bench wing player and I have to wonder where is the scoring going to come from? PJ will certainly get his, and Paige should improve his output. But those percentages and averages are pretty rough.

I want to be optimistic about next year, because I believe we'll have some good players. And I didn't post this to bag on Leslie, overall I'd be thrilled to have him as our 6th man. But as a starting SG with little to no offensive help off the bench from the wing, it's hard not to look at the numbers and be very concerned.

Top Bottom