• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

DominoKid

I knew Leslie wasn't good, but that's even worse than I imagined.

As for Joel James, well I still think he's another year away and that's okay. Although I'm excited for his JR/SR seasons.

Matugi

He was coming off an ACL tear. Cut him some slack. He's always been a solid 7-10 PPG kind of player and he's a fifth year senior so I think his experience will help him.

I'd honestly prefer him to play the 2 and PJ to play the 3 because it will give PJ more freedom to drive to the basket.

cashman

Banned
Julien Lewis from Texas is transferring, so that makes 2 of the top 3 scorers plus Kabongo that are gone for next year. Why Barnes isn't fired yet I have no idea.

DominoKid

fuck it, i dont mind K doing Team USA. i know a lot of Carolina fans that actually wanted us to lose in the Olympics/WCs because of him. i cant get w/ that hater logic.

national pride >>> rivalry

Fjordson

Yeah, K seems to do great for Team USA so I say let him stay as long as he wants.

Certainly not a Duke fan, but he's a great coach.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Theo Pinson decides (picks Indiana) this week. Some reason we're still on the list of teams considered even though both Pinson and Duke have acknowledged they are going different directions now. whatevs.

DominoKid

i was hoping he wouldn't pick Duke but i really don't like when elite kids here go out of state. where are State and Wake at? dropping the ball.

i was hoping he wouldn't pick Duke but i really don't like when elite kids here go out of state. where are State and Wake at? dropping the ball.

Duke offering and getting the commit from Grayson Allen pretty much sealed Pinson was going somewhere else (probably will be the same with Devin Booker).

I agree, it doesn't feel right to see Crean come and steal NC talent. It's a shame State used up all of their recruit money on Julius Randle and Wake is...well Wake.

Fjordson

An in-state 5 star goes to Clappy? Gottfried needs to step his game up.

Duke offering and getting the commit from Grayson Allen pretty much sealed Pinson was going somewhere else (probably will be the same with Devin Booker).

I agree, it doesn't feel right to see Crean come and steal NC talent. It's a shame State used up all of their recruit money on Julius Randle and Wake is...well Wake.
I like that Booker kid based on what little I've seen. Would love to see UK get him.

DominoKid

An in-state 5 star goes to Clappy? Gottfried needs to step his game up.

I like that Booker kid based on what little I've seen. Would love to see UK get him.

he's such a fucking scrub of a coach. a used car salesman if i've ever seen one. terrible in-game coach. terrible personality manager.
decent recruiter. that's going to have to be his saving grace because otherwise i can see him getting shitcanned in 2 or 3 seasons. i feel like this year took a lot of the shine off for state fans and they realized that it's more to winning than just having highly rated players.

Fjordson

he's such a fucking scrub of a coach. a used car salesman if i've ever seen one. terrible in-game coach. terrible personality manager.
decent recruiter. that's going to have to be his saving grace because otherwise i can see him getting shitcanned in 2 or 3 seasons. i feel like this year took a lot of the shine off for state fans and they realized that it's more to winning than just having highly rated players.
Yeah, he doesn't seem all that impressive so far.

Not a fan of Clappy either, though I suppose he's better than Gottfried.

Fjordson

i dont really know much of Crean, but i'm surprised to see folks so down on him. i always assumed he was better than that.
Crean just annoys me, rather than being bad tactically during a game or whatever (though IU looked awful in the tournament this year).

I find him a little creepy with the hair and whatnot, he earns the hell out of his Clappy nickname during games (seriously, watch him next time IU plays) he does cheesy shit like buy sweet 16 rings, and has this whole aura about him with what he says in interviews and other places that screams "LOOK WHAT I DID! Indiana was in the gutter and now I've brought them to the Promised Land! I'm so incredible!". Like what he's done is the most amazing thing in the history of college sports.

Mostly superficial stuff I admit, so yeah, more annoyance than thinking he's a bad coach :lol

I give him credit for his recruiting, though. He's kept up the momentum for a few years now and Pinson will be a good start to his '14 class if he gets him.

thefro

Crean's in-game coaching is pretty weird... sometimes he's great and other times he's completely lost (i.e. against Wisconsin, Syracuse in the tourney) and doesn't take the blame for his gameplan being crap and falls back on "duuur we need to make shots". Now he's been bragging about twitter for the last week about how good of a shooter Cody Zeller is, yet he took about 2 shots from the middle of the court against Syracuse's zone when that shot was there all day long. Hopefully he isn't cheerleading for Miami and Dwayne Wade on twitter like he was last year during their series against the Pacers.

Of course we're spoiled in Indiana since we had Bob Knight for so long.

Bowser

Lot of smoke that Pinson is more concerned with staying home and that IU isn't really in it and that Duke is a non-factor (apparently both parties have been distancing themselves from each other)...sounds like he's going to end up at UNC

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Crean just annoys me, rather than being bad tactically during a game or whatever (though IU looked awful in the tournament this year).

I find him a little creepy with the hair and whatnot, he earns the hell out of his Clappy nickname during games (seriously, watch him next time IU plays) he does cheesy shit like buy sweet 16 rings, and has this whole aura about him with what he says in interviews and other places that screams "LOOK WHAT I DID! Indiana was in the gutter and now I've brought them to the Promised Land! I'm so incredible!". Like what he's done is the most amazing thing in the history of college sports.

Mostly superficial stuff I admit, so yeah, more annoyance than thinking he's a bad coach :lol

I give him credit for his recruiting, though. He's kept up the momentum for a few years now and Pinson will be a good start to his '14 class if he gets him.

I read on some UK site that a few UK fans hate Crean way more than K, think Cream is way more obnoxious and arrogant. K gets some credit on how he handled the 92 match up post game with class. Since I seldom see or play his teams, I was suprised to see how disliked he was. Same goes for Izzo in certain parts of Big 10 country. Wiscy fans seem to despise Izzo.

Lot of smoke that Pinson is more concerned with staying home and that IU isn't really in it and that Duke is a non-factor (apparently both parties have been distancing themselves from each other)...sounds like he's going to end up at UNC
Not a bad consolation prize after the Wiggins thing. Duke moved on after signing Allen. Allen is going to be so hated. White shooting guard? Scheyer back on the staff? Reggie Miller leg kick flops aw day err day? Yep

Bowser

I'd rather have Vaughn but Pinson would be cool. I never even thought we were in for him really.

Agreed. Vaughn was given the full court press and was asked for a commit though, and while he wanted to commit, his parents put the brakes on it. Roy has said it's first come, first serve, and if an in-state 5-star kid wants to commit, you don't turn him down.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I read on some UK site that a few UK fans hate Crean way more than K, think Cream is way more obnoxious and arrogant. K gets some credit on how he handled the 92 match up post game with class. Since I seldom see or play his teams, I was suprised to see how disliked he was. Same goes for Izzo in certain parts of Big 10 country. Wiscy fans seem to despise Izzo.

Everyone should hate Crean more than they do Coach K.

Whenever I'm in sketchy ass dive-bars in Ohio, I avoid getting stabbed or getting my ass kicked by pretending to be a Buckeye fan. That way, I can relate to the common man, who might otherwise be able to sniff me out as someone who is not from their world.

This story was brought to you by Vas.

tom-crean-mad.jpg
tom-crean-mad.jpg
tom-crean-mad.jpg
tom-crean-mad.jpg

Tarik Black to Kansas.

Duke not going to be as good next year as this year.

They'll be better.

Losing a post presence will definitely hurt, but ultimately the only thing Black would have been expected to do is rebound and stick a hand up on D. The perimeter is where Duke will do their damage this year.

EDIT:Unless you're talking about 2014, in which case, things could get dicey depending on whether or not they land Jones/Okafor and if Jabari stays or goes.

P.S. It sounds like Wiggins swung him to Kansas for whatever that's worth.

jjasper

Tarik Black isn't very good although he has spent the last few years with Pastner as his coach so it is possible he flourishes with actual coaching.

Bowser

IC "insiders" still feel that Pinson is picking UNC, but that doesn't make this any less sobering: http://247sports.com/Player/Theo-Pinson-11863/PlayerInstitutionPredictions

Fjordson

That's how it is for me. Crean just bugs me for whatever reason, but I don't really dislike K. It's a little annoying that he's been coaching for so long and still manages to get a good team almost every year :lol but what are you gonna do, he's a good coach.

Matugi

See I thought that Vaughn would be more likely to commit than Pinson. Realistically though we will need both, and personally I'd rather have Vaughn but Pinson is just fine with me.

A lineup of Paige - Vaughn/Pinson - Tokoto/Jackson - Hicks - Meeks/James for 2014 looks really really good. A lot of top talent there.

I also think that Exum and Booker are both in play still, although my gut tells me Booker is headed to Duke.

Fjordson

Anyone been watching any of the Draft Combine stuff? Archie Goodwin from UK has looked awful. Analysts keep trashing him. I feel bad for the kid, wish he had come back.

Also, Zeller's stock has been rising since he's done so good in drills. I still don't think he'll be much in the pros, but we'll see. And Shane Larkin has also been killing it in all the drills. One of the fastest guys out of anyone there and a 44.5 inch vertical. That's intense.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Anyone been watching any of the Draft Combine stuff? Archie Goodwin from UK has looked awful. Analysts keep trashing him. I feel bad for the kid, wish he had come back.

Also, Zeller's stock has been rising since he's done so good in drills. I still don't think he'll be much in the pros, but we'll see. And Shane Larkin has also been killing it in all the drills. One of the fastest guys out of anyone there and a 44.5 inch vertical. That's intense.

I'm surprised Plumlee didn't do some of the drills, he's not really a plodder. I think his biggest weakness is his defense, but he can run the floor and he's even carried the ball up the court before.

Tarik Black to KU apparently, good for them I guess. Its funny to see TDD freak out what was a 1 year solid post transfer like he was a 5 star miss. It happens. I'm interest to see how K schemes the defense. It may seem LOL worthy, but he might want to watch the heat and see how they can guard small.

Talon

I feel like it's so obvious that Zeller is going to get pushed around down low. Early Spencer growing pains, at the very least.

Len is going to be the most worthless big in this class though. I'm interested to see how Olynyk does. I loved watching him put the ball on the floor on the block. Very crafty and knew how to finish but, again, the strength thing will be an issue with him.

DominoKid

I watched some of it on Saturday. Way more entertaining than the NFL combine. I think I saw the SGs and the front court players mostly. It was really surprising how bad many of them shoot. And in the few PG drills I was surprised how bad many of them were at keeping a solid handle.

Larkin killed that shit though. Bullock had the best shooting numbers I think.

As for Archie, I just don't think his head is in it. That and he doesn't seem to have a good understanding of the game. He's D-League bound.

Cody Zeller's a scrub. He's gonna get his shit kicked in when he gets to the NBA. I can't wait.

Plumlee...I just don't like. He can run and jump well, but he moves laterally like he's got cement shoes. But I think he'll be better than Zeller.

Branduil

So the media is finally realizing what a piece of human refuse UCLA's athletic director is.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colle...19-steve-alford-ucla-20130519,0,6052133.story

During a one-on-one interview, Iowa came up. Alford, who coached the Hawkeyes for eight seasons, was asked about his staunch defense of Pierre Pierce, a player accused of sexually assaulting another student in 2002.

"I totally believe he's innocent," Alford had said at the Big Ten Conference's basketball media day that year. "I believed it from Day One, and I still believe it." Days later, Pierce, a star guard, agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor assault and also sit out one basketball season.

UCLA athletic administrators were stunned. They had signed Alford to a seven-year, $18.2-million contract with the expectation that his hiring would invigorate an apathetic fan base. They expected him to be greeted with open arms.

Guerrero was also questioned — about whether UCLA had properly vetted its new coach and investigated what happened at Iowa. He said he "clearly discussed" the Pierce situation with Alford before hiring him.

However, when Alford was asked a similar question, he said the topic never came up.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ve-alfords-segue-at-ucla-has-been-a-rocky-one

The Pierce incident was so infuriating to some UCLA fans that a group passed around an online petition to have UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero fired. The matter was made more discouraging for some UCLA fans because, according to the story, Guerrero claims to have "clearly discussed" the Pierce/Iowa problem before Alford's hiring.

Alford said the two men never talked of it.

I really hope this story picks up steam. This piece of trash and the sleazebag he hired need to be run out of town and never show their faces again.

DominoKid

call me crazy but i really don't think that's worthy of firing the AD or the coach. although i do wonder how that doesn't at least come up in passing when you're interviewing Alford.

Talon

call me crazy but i really don't think that's worthy of firing the AD or the coach. although i do wonder how that doesn't at least come up in passing when you're interviewing Alford.
Well it seems more like a culmination of things.

Howland losing control of the kids. Mora's rah-rah bailed out the program for at least one year, although we know how things always go with Mora in subsequent years.

And then Zubaz.

Branduil

If we're talking about deserving of firing then Guerrero should have been fired years ago. He just continues to prove with every passing day how much more he deserves it. It's not even about him being incompetent any more, but a greedy, lying scumbag.

Bowser

Both IU and UNC boards are confident they're landing Pinson. One side is going to look foolish. Too many IC big hitters have weighed in on Pinson to UNC for me to think he's going to IU though.

Fjordson

Yeah, first heard a lot about him at IU, now seems a lot are saying UNC.

That would be the third top 15 commitment for UNC for their 2014 class. Roy off to a fast start.

Top Bottom