• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Bowser

Yeah, first heard a lot about him at IU, now seems a lot are saying UNC.

That would be the third top 15 commitment for UNC for their 2014 class. Roy off to a fast start.

Sorely needed as well, as the only likely wing to be left on UNC's roster following this season is JP Tokoto. And while I think a Pinson commit would rule out Vaughn, some are saying that's not the case. A class of Berry/Vaughn/Pinson/Jackson, all top 20 prospects, would be pretty damn amazing.

Fjordson

Yeah, that would be a great duo on the wings to get Vaughn and Pinson.

If UNC gets Vaughn I really hope Calipari can somehow swing Devin Booker or Stanley Johnson. Our frontcourt should be decent with Karl Towns, one or two left over from this year, and possibly Trey Lyles or Cliff Alexander, and I think we have a good shot at Emmanuel Mudiay for our point guard, but I can't imagine Aaron Harrison will be around after next year so UK could be thin on the wing in 2014.

Makes me wonder why Calipari hasn't offered D'Angelo Russell. He's a top 25 combo guard with a big list of offers already, but he's from Kentucky and goes to the same school as Dakari Johnson. Seems like a no-brainer.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well Pinson picking UNC should help Michigan out a bit more with Devin Booker. Doubt he's going to want to be the 3rd wing in their class. Its really looking like it going to come down to UM and UK with Mizzou still having an outside shot.

Bowser

Well Pinson picking UNC should help Michigan out a bit more with Devin Booker. Doubt he's going to want to be the 3rd wing in their class. Its really looking like it going to come down to UM and UK with Mizzou still having an outside shot.

I think UNC will end up with a lower ranked guy for the 3rd wing in the class (lower ranked as in someone between 25-50). The Heels have recently started to track Ahmed Hill (Scout's #4 SG and #27 overall) and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an offer soon. Also think we may start looking into Dion Wiley (#7 SG, #42 overall). Then it'll be first come, first serve to Vaughn, Booker, Russell, or Hill (and maybe Wiley) and that'll close out the class.

Fjordson

Really hope an offer to D'Angelo Russell comes at some point from Calipari. Not offering an in-state kid ranked in the top 25 seems crazy to me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Really hope an offer to D'Angelo Russell comes at some point from Calipari. Not offering an in-state kid ranked in the top 25 seems crazy to me.

Is it a scholly issue? I know he's hoping to get Jones and Okafor just like Duke but maybe he won't have two free if he takes Russell. I know Towns has committed, who else?

Matugi

We are quietly putting together one of the best recruiting classes in recent years. I have no doubt that Jackson will be top-10 by the end of the year and Pinson top-15, and we are the favorite to land Vaughn right now and he'll likely end up top-5. Berry will probably remain in the top-15 and might end up #2 PG behind Jones.

Stoked to have Pinson. Let's go get Vaughn.

Fjordson

Is it a scholly issue? I know he's hoping to get Jones and Okafor just like Duke but maybe he won't have two free if he takes Russell. I know Towns has committed, who else?
Ah, I always forget about scholarship numbers. That could be it.

Towns is our only commit right now, with eight other offers out for 2014. Then you add on the fact that most people feel Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson from this year's class will return for another year, as well as a slight possibility that James Young returns (the Twins and Randle are 100% gone) and you may very well be right. We'll also have Derek Willis and Dominique Hawkins on scholarship since they're 4 year players.

As for Jones and Okafor, I would love nothing more than for Calipari to land them, but I'm a little nervous about UK going all in on them. With Towns, Lee, Dakari Johnson, and most likely another forward from the 2014 class I don't know why Okafor would come to UK. He can go somewhere else and dominate. The kid is probably going to beast in college from day one, so I'm not sure he'll want to join a crowded backcourt with multiple top 5 centers.

Tyus Jones could have more room to operate since Andrew Harrison will be gone, but because of the aforementioned issues with getting Okafor that should cancel us out for Tyus. Assuming they're serious about the packaged deal stuff.

And yet another reason to be nervous: Emmanuel Mudiay. He said he highly doubts he'd go to the same school as Tyus Jones since he wants to be a pure point guard as opposed to a combo guard. And since I read everywhere that UK is already a favourite for Mudiay, I'd almost rather see us go after him to play the point. Would suck to ease up on Mudiay in favor of Tyus and Okafor, but then lose out on all three. I mean Coach Cal is pretty damned good at this recruitment thing so I'm sure he knows more than me about what he's doing, but I think Wiggins showed that there's no guarantee every 5 star recruit we offer will come here.

I say roll with Towns at center since he already looks impressive to me and Mudiay at the point. People are already debating who's better between Mudiay and Jones so getting him instead of Tyus won't upset me any. He fits perfectly in Cal's system with his athleticism and being 6-4. Built similar to John Wall and Brandon Knight. Then from there we get a wing player in Devin Booker, Rashad Vaughn or Stanley Johnson, and then Trey Lyles or Cliff Alexander to play the 4. Add on Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, and a senior Wiltjer and that's a nice team.

edit: sorry for the longwinded post :lol with the Warriors getting knocked out of the playoffs and Michael Crabtree of the 49ers tearing his achilles and probably missing next season I'm trying to keep my mind on UK basketball at the moment.

Fjordson

crabtree's hurt? that blows. who the hell is Kap gonna throw to besides VD?
Anquan Boldin should be solid next year, though I don't know if he's still a viable #1 receiver. Mario Manningham is coming back, but he won't be ready for training camp and we'll see what he's like after that nasty knee injury last year. Kyle Williams will be back and he started looking good at the end of last year, but he's not even half as good as Crabtree. And then there's...AJ Jenkins :lol people were really hyped about Jenkins when San Fran drafted him, but he didn't show much last year. Maybe he'll show up this year.

Any way you slice it, it fucking sucks. Not just all the time Crabtree will miss, but the potential to lose some explosiveness that comes with a serious achilles injury.

Wellscha

Hey guys, are there any good recruiting websites other than rivals.com?

I'm looking for a website that shows recruits strengths and weaknesses while being visually clean and not bloated.

woo. Naming rights for our basketball arena finally secured. $500k a year through 2017. I'll take that... Better than nothing for sure and every little bit helps. And good considering we're getting peanuts from our new TV deal in the AAC.

$3.95 million to be more exact over 4 years.

DominoKid

Hey guys, are there any good recruiting websites other than rivals.com?

I'm looking for a website that shows recruits strengths and weaknesses while being visually clean and not bloated.

RSCI easily.

It has the best pure rankings though because it's an aggregate. RSCI also has each site's recruiting pages in a list too for easy access.

941227_588627607834582_163362812_n.jpg

shiiiiiiiieeeet. DJ Stephens got hops

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Our 2014 boys (Pinson, Berry, Jackson) are killing it in the EYBL from all reports.

That bottom link I posted is basically dedicated to the EYBL.

PPG
13. Justin Jackson 17.2
32. Joel Berry 14.5
41. Theo Pinson 13.9

Assists
6. Joel Berry 5.3

Steals
3. Theo Pinson 2.3
4. Joel Berry 2.1

The steals might be the most impressive because it means they are actually playing D in AAU games.

Bowser

Our 2014 boys (Pinson, Berry, Jackson) are killing it in the EYBL from all reports.

Pinson dropped 27 and 7 his first game after committing. I think a lot of these guys (not just Heels) tend to play a lot more freely after the weight of recruiting is off their shoulders.

Fjordson

It’s a three-team race for Cliff Alexander’s services, says Jeremy Woo, a contributor to ZagsBlog.com. Those three teams are Illinois, Michigan State and the University of Kentucky. Alexander, ranked 8th in ESPN’s top 60, likes all three head coaches and said he sees himself fitting in with UK’s system.

“They want to develop me, get me like a Terrence Jones and I’m looking forward to that,” Alexander told ZagsBlog.com. “[Karl Towns] and I can play together—he’s a five and I’m a four. We’ll work from there.”

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/three-team-race-for-2014-star-cliff-alexander/

Alexander and Towns plus Marcus Lee would be a dope frontcourt. Come on down Cliff.

Also, looking at the Eybl stats and some articles, Tyus Jones is really fucking good. I mean I knew he was, but it doesn't really jump out at you with the mixtapes and shit. He's not really a highlight player. Sucks that we're probably not getting him.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Fjordson

Jahlil Okafor has his final list of schools. We still in it baby!

Okafor tweeted that his final list of schools -- in no particular order -- consists of Arizona, Baylor, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Ohio State.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-col...for-whitney-young-narrows-list-colleges-eight

Too bad we ain't getting him.

For those keeping tabs on the supposed packaged deal with Tyus Jones, if it's for real then that leaves Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Ohio State on both of their lists.

Fjordson

It really seems like they're serious on the packaged deal thing, so I think they're going to Duke. Would love to have them at UK, but I think Okafor will end up passing because of our crowded frontcourt. Especially if we get Cliff Alexander or Trey Lyles.

It really seems like they're serious on the packaged deal thing, so I think they're going to Duke. Would love to have them at UK, but I think Okafor will end up passing because of our crowded frontcourt. Especially if we get Cliff Alexander or Trey Lyles.
"packaged deals" seem to be rumored for every other big name recruit, so I never put too much stock in that.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jahlil Okafor has his final list of schools. We still in it baby!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-col...for-whitney-young-narrows-list-colleges-eight

Too bad we ain't getting him.

For those keeping tabs on the supposed packaged deal with Tyus Jones, if it's for real then that leaves Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Ohio State on both of their lists.

Here was my reply to his tweet.....

@jahprobound @EliCTMDThomas15 That's a solid 8. No real wrong choice there. Well maybe 1 but I wont name names(It's Baylor).

Elijah Thomas seemed to get a kick out of it.

DominoKid

"@JayJayUSATODAY: Jahlil Okafor tells me he knows he'll play with Tyus Jones in college. Also "confident" that he'll play with Justise Winslow. #MONSTERclass"

also when is the new thread going up. This season's recruiting is more or less wrapped up now that Wiggins has picked.

Top Bottom