• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Fjordson

Fuck. UK ain't even on Justise Winslow's list...we're definitely not getting any of those dudes.

Cal should drop them and go get Mudiay, Booker, Lyles/Alexander, and Stanley Johnson.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Speaking of Booker he's supposed to be in attendance at Michigan's elite camp tomorrow and is spending the rest of the summer in Michigan with his mom and sister. Hopefully moms and his buddy Drake Harris can help convince him to Go Blue over the next couple of months.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Damn...well if not Booker then maybe Rashad Vaughn, since UNC already has a few top level wings.

UNC wanted Vaughn, but now with Pinson, they don't really need him. Most people on the DUke board expect Vaughn to go to UK, but you know how that goes.

Fjordson

UNC wanted Vaughn, but now with Pinson, they don't really need him. Most people on the DUke board expect Vaughn to go to UK, but you know how that goes.
I hope they're right. Coach K doesn't need him. Son of a bitch is going to get Okafor, Tyus, and Winslow :lol I can feel it already.

I also really want Stanley Johnson after watching some of his EYBL highlights, but he's from California. For some reason the talk about west coat recruits is always "will they be willing to leave the west coast???". Way more it seems than with recruits from other parts of the country for some reason. And Arizona is coming at him big time, so we'll see. He reminds me a lot of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with his defense and slashing ability.

DominoKid

I hope they're right. Coach K doesn't need him. Son of a bitch is going to get Okafor, Tyus, and Winslow :lol I can feel it already.

I also really want Stanley Johnson after watching some of his EYBL highlights, but he's from California. For some reason the talk about west coat recruits is always "will they be willing to leave the west coast???". Way more it seems than with recruits from other parts of the country for some reason. And Arizona is coming at him big time, so we'll see. He reminds me a lot of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with his defense and slashing ability.

The beach and the permanent sunshine makes west coast ballers soft. At least the Cali players. Cant blame em though, I wouldn't want to leave either.

Fjordson

The beach and the permanent sunshine makes west coast ballers soft. At least the Cali players. Cant blame em though, I wouldn't want to leave either.
Haha, true. I live in San Fran and I love it out here, but as far as basketball goes west coast programs aren't doing shit these days.

Sean Miller is doing well at Arizona, but I don't know if that really counts as the west coast. Not nearly as fun as California and it's hot as fuck. Way hotter than around here. My brother moved there for work and he likes it, but always says he misses Cali.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Damn...well if not Booker then maybe Rashad Vaughn, since UNC already has a few top level wings.

Well I wouldn't count yourselves out just yet but it does give me some hope as Michigan fan.

The gulf between our entire 2013 class committing very early and none of our 2014 class committing early has left me very nervous about this class. Especially after losing Keita Bate-Diop and Jae'Sean Tate both to OSU last fall.

Haha, true. I live in San Fran and I love it out here, but as far as basketball goes west coast programs aren't doing shit these days.

Sean Miller is doing well at Arizona, but I don't know if that really counts as the west coast. Not nearly as fun as California and it's hot as fuck. Way hotter than around here. My brother moved there for work and he likes it, but always says he misses Cali.

What's the rent like?

Fjordson

What's the rent like?
In San Francisco? Well I own my own place, but I know from friends that it's expensive. Lucky to find anything worthwhile below 2 grand a month and most places are closer to 3. Some areas over 3.5.

The majority of areas here in the Bay Area are really expensive when it comes to housing. Probably the only downside to living here. My sister lives in San Jose which is like an hour south of me and it's also pricey. She doesn't rent, but has people close to her that do and it's consistently above 2,500 a month in the suburbs. Well over 3 if you want something nice.

Memphis recruit: Tigers freshman class> UK's

seh6p.gif

Fjordson

Just kids being kids :lol I like his confidence, though one part bugs me and sounds like your typical idiot UK hater you see on message boards.

“Yeah, way better,” he said. “Way better. They talented, we work hard.”

Does he really think not a single player in our recruiting class works hard? Guys who won state titles, and a few guys who won Mr. Basketball awards for their state this year. Even an overused insult like "overhyped" would be more understandable to me than suggesting that none of UK's incoming recruits work hard.

Oh well. Don't want to hate him on too much since he's said he wanted to go to Kentucky, but we didn't offer so he went to Memphis since Calipari came from there. Would actually have loved to see him come here. Hindsight is 20/20 and whatnot, but he could have been a great addition on the wing instead of waiting for Wiggins (obviously couldn't drop a Wiggins offer in favor of Kuran Iverson, though).

Interview where he mentions wanting to go to UK.

Oh well. Don't want to hate him on too much since he's said he wanted to go to Kentucky, but we didn't offer so he went to Memphis since Calipari came from there. Would actually have loved to see him come here. Hindsight is 20/20 and whatnot, but he could have been a great addition on the wing instead of waiting for Wiggins (obviously couldn't drop a Wiggins offer in favor of Kuran Iverson, though).

Interview where he mentions wanting to go to UK.

That's the danger on waiting on these recruits. That's why I'm kinda dreading this whole Jones-Okafor-Winslow recruitment for Duke. Those are the three guys they're pushing the hardest for and if it comes down to next Feb/March/April and they do decide to all go somewhere else, Duke may be left with Grayson Allen and whatever scraps are left that late into the season (scraps may be unfair, they'll still probably be four star guys at worse)

Meanwhile, Roy is damn near done already.

Matugi

Pinson and Vaughn play different positions.

And it's 100% natural for people on Duke forums to think that a highly touted Carolina target would go to another school.

He's going to Carolina.

Fjordson

That's the danger on waiting on these recruits. That's why I'm kinda dreading this whole Jones-Okafor-Winslow recruitment for Duke. Those are the three guys they're pushing the hardest for and if it comes down to next Feb/March/April and they do decide to all go somewhere else, Duke may be left with Grayson Allen and whatever scraps are left that late into the season (scraps may be unfair, they'll still probably be four star guys at worse)

Meanwhile, Roy is damn near done already.
Haha, exactly what I've been saying man. I see some UK fans saying "believe in Cal! He can get Jones and Okafor!" but with our frontcourt being crowded before Okafor even makes his decision next year, I say fuck that. We already have a top 5 center in Towns, we'll have Wiltjer and Marcus Lee and possibly Dakari Johsnon left over from this year as well. I find it hard to imagine that Okafor will come here with all of those guys already committed.

I say push hard after Mudiay for the point, he's practically neck and neck with Tyus in a lot of people's eyes anyways and UK is constantly mentioned as a favourite for him, then compliment Towns and Mudiay with some other guys not involved in any package deal that people say we have a good chance at, like Devin Booker, Cliff Alexander, Trey Lyles, Rashad Vaughn and Stanley Johnson.

Though with Duke, I think you guys are getting Tyus, Okafor and Winslow. I mean, all three have Baylor on their list also but...no way. Kansas is on all three as well and I can maybe see that, but I think Coach K can beat out anyone when he's actually trying (since he doesn't always go after top 10 one and done type kids).

Fjordson

Mudiay > Tyus

imo. and he's more of a Shady type PG too.
Exactly. Tall and stronger than most guards, great athleticism,
probably more of a scorer than a distributor if we're being honest :lol
. A perfect addition in the wake of guys like Derrick Rose, John Wall and Brandon Knight.

It's ridiculous that I'm even thinking about 2014 recruits when the 2013 season is still months away, but after Wiggins I can just see us waiting until the end for Tyus and Okafaor, with UK in their top 4-5 choices and UK fans with their usual overconfidence. And then we won't get them and will have missed out on guys like Mudiay.

Luckily I doubt Cal does this, I'm sure he realizes we can have a great class without Tyus and Okafor.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It's ridiculous that I'm even thinking about 2014 recruits when the 2013 season is still months away, but after Wiggins I can just see us waiting until the end for Tyus and Okafaor, with UK in their top 4-5 choices and UK fans with their usual overconfidence. And then we won't get them and will have missed out on guys like Mudiay.

Actually you're a little behind. You should already be talking about 15's and 16's. Hell I've already been seeing the names of a few 17's creeping into my Twitter feed.

Speaking of 15's only 10 more days until John Beilein starts handingout offers for that class!

Luke Kennard and Jalen Coleman will be first day offers for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if Diamond Stone gets an offer too. Sedrick Barefield, Jalen Brunson, Stephen Zimmerman, Elijah Thomas, and Dwayne Bacon all need to visit campus before they can receive an offer.

DominoKid

yeah 2014s? we off that. it's all about them 2016s lol. Harry Giles and Seventh Woods. Future Tar Heels. You heard it here first.

DominoKid

i know folks that knew Graves fam and they always said it was a matter of "when" he finally got kicked off because that dude was dumb. i don't think PJ is that dumb. it takes effort to be that dumb.

Fjordson

Just saw the headline about Hairston. Shitty luck.

What happens to a player for this? I've no doubt there's been plenty of players in the past busted for weed, but I can't remember any for some reason. Will he have to miss games?

Crisco

Banned
I doubt he'll even be suspended. Possession of a small amount of weed with no intent to sell isn't a big deal. UNC might award him some credits towards his criminal justice major.

DominoKid

Yeah he aint getting suspended.

According to sources close to the situation, Hairston will be disciplined internally and is not expected to be suspended for any practices or games next season.

aka mom's gonna get her piece of flesh, and then Roy's gonna get his lol.

Matugi

If you want some real fun just look at the dichotomy of the thread about it on IC then the thread on it on either Pack Pride or TDD lol

DominoKid

man i dont even want to know what they're talking about on Packpride. my roommate that's a State fan already called me trying to clown about it.

i can handle TDD but Packpride is awful.

I don't know why IC's sweating it so much.

There will be very little if any significant discipline for a minor traffic violation and a small bag of kush with no intent to sell.

Most likely, PJ's going to offer a published apology that goes something like:

"I am very sorry to have let down my teammates, Coach Williams, my family, the fans, and the University of North Carolina. I behaved in a way that was reckless, irresponsible, and not in accordance to the Carolina Way. I promise that I will learn from this terrible mistake, and I will be a better person because of it. Thank you for everyone who has offered me their support and have stuck with me and will continue to stick by me during this time. Again thank you, and Go Heels"

-Samuel Peterson Hairston Jr.

And that will be that. If Roy's feeling real frisky, he might suspend him for a game or two, but that's at the beginning of the season when they're beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor anyway.

Matugi

man i dont even want to know what they're talking about on Packpride. my roommate that's a State fan already called me trying to clown about it.

they probably think it relates to some omnipresent academic scandal that involves everyone from TAs to the board of governors that will cripple the university once and for all

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If you want some real fun just look at the dichotomy of the thread about it on IC then the thread on it on either Pack Pride or TDD lol

They can't agree if water is wet. But if it is wet, its because it cheated, flopped, cursed at the refs, has little brother syndrome to other liquids etc.

Just heard about the gun...what the hell were those kids doing?

Though it was outside the car so maybe not related.

Even if they can't legally pin anything on him relating to the gun, 'Ol Roy doesn't play that. Marijuana's something that he could probably tolerate, but packing heat? naw.

Crisco

Banned
Yikes, maybe Roy did have a good reason for keeping him on the bench last season. Dude seems like a bit of a loose cannon.

Crisco

Banned
http://www.scribd.com/doc/146330712/PJ-Hairston-Police-Report

Hmmm, so 43 grams of pot (for the uninitiated, that's quite a bit, almost 2 months supply for a daily smoker), a 9MM handgun, and 9 rounds of ammo. Also this all went down in a rented car that he didn't rent or licensed to drive. Honestly the rental car might be a bigger deal than anything considering it could an impermissible benefit and UNC is already on probation......

DominoKid

lawd jesus he had 1.5* and a burner. it's beyond basketball at this point. how do you make life decisions this bad???

*i could probably tear through 1.5 in about a month max tbh. when you have a lot, you smoke a lot. i havent smoked in ~5 weeks though. fuckin job search.

Top Bottom