• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

The nice thing about UNC is it's more than a two-sport school. The baseball team is the #1 national seed (although they are playing an elimination game tomorrow against South Carolina), the women's soccer team is the greatest program ever assembled in college sports, the women's lacrosse team won the NCAA championship, and the men's lacrosse team spent much of the season ranked #1 before losing in the tournament.

The awesome thing about those sports is that nobody actually cares.

Fjordson

Y'all better watch out for UK football. We got the brother of Bob Stoops. And we play in an easy football conference so we have time to rebuild. Cats baby!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
A few people care about baseball but nobody gives a shit about a rich boy sport like lacrosse. I don't think there is a high school within 100 miles of me that has a lacrosse team.

Fjordson

Lol, nah man! He was doing great, and I'm cheering for SA 'cause fuck Miami, but the game turned on a dime late. Some bad turnovers by SA's guards.

DominoKid

Calishady staying ahead of the curve.

Rachel Newman Baker, the NCAA managing director of enforcement for development and investigations, has left her position to become the senior associate athletic director for compliance at the University of Kentucky, the school announced Tuesday.

Newman Baker, a Kentucky native, had spent the past 12 years at the NCAA.

According to the school's press release, Newman Baker will report to Sandy Bell, the executive association athletics director for student services, and serve as the liaison between the compliance office and Kentucky's football and marketing offices.

Fjordson

Yeeah Emmert ain't got shit on us.

Though it says she'll be working with the football team. Guess Stoops needs some cover now that he's got a top 5 recruiting class :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan targets

*offered

2014:

#9 Kevon Looney
#16 Devin Booker*
#41 Trevon Bluiett*
#42 Kameron Chatman*
#80 Vincent Edwards*
#86 Jordan Barnett

2015:

#4 Diamond Stone
#5 Elijah Thomas
#7 Stephen Zimmerman
#19 Eric Davis
#20 Jalen Brunson
#25 Jalen Coleman
#30 Luke Kennard
#39 Dwayne Bacon
#45 Trevor Manuel
#53 Hyron Edwards

2016:

#3 Josh Jackson
#17 Caleb Swanigan
#25 Derryck Thornton

DominoKid

we must join together w/ our brethren in Jayhawk Nation...to save KUBoobs, and the low cut KU merchandise they are selling.

The trend started when student Tiffany Kent tweeted a photo of herself with the hashtag #kuboobs as the KU basketball team struggled in a game last year. For whatever reason, they turned a 19-point deficit into a 1-point lead over the Missouri Tigers — and the new movement was born.

Blushing bosses at the University of Kansas have busted a Twitter feed that shows off its coeds' cleavages.

@KUboobs — which gets students to send in selfies of themselves in low-cut KU T-shirts — has more than 58,000 followers and its own line of merchandise.

But school officials have reportedly had enough of the so-called "boobment," and they fired off a cease-and-desist order to its overseer, Ken Soap, on Tuesday.

in other KU news, Jamari Traylor dunked on his mama lmao

DominoKid

damn they setting Wiggins up for a fall. all i'm gonna say about Wiggins vs Lebron coming out of HS is this: I saw Lebron play in HS in person when I was in 8th grade. I will feel privileged to live long enough to see another player as good as Lebron in HS and I haven't seen anyone close since. They shouldn't even bother setting Wiggins up w/ that.

ESPN Insider said:
From my time as an assistant coach at Ohio State, I had the opportunity to evaluate LeBron James at St. Vincent/St. Mary High School in nearby Akron. Watching him for his first two seasons in high school and over the summers, it was obvious he was headed for stardom.

In the fall of his junior season, we were playing in the Maui Invitational where dozens of NBA scouts and executives always show up to evaluate. I was in a discussion with one NBA scout who gave me some very good advice upon his evaluation of James:

"Stop sending him mail," he said. "You are wasting your postage budget." At that time, sending mail was a big part of the recruiting process.

"And don't waste your gas money, either. He is coming right to the league."

James finished his senior season as the consensus No. 1 player in a strong high school class. The NBA scout was right, and the rest was history considering James went on to become the top pick in the 2003 draft, won an NBA championship and is now known as the world's best player. Fast-forward to now.

Over the past few years I have witnessed the emergence of Andrew Wiggins, ESPN's No. 1 ranked player in the class of 2013, who is headed to Kansas. Originally labeled as the top player in 2014, he decided to reclassify back into his original class and leapfrogged the entire group. That shows his potential. It's likely he'll be the No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft, just as LeBron was in 2003.

Their paths are clearly similar. But who was better coming from high school and why? Let's take a look at how Wiggins stacks up to James.

Athletic ability

James: He was a powerful athlete with elite-level speed and size. His ability to convert at a moment's notice and run with effort was noticeable and impressive. James was a quick vertical jumper who could bounce off of two feet or just one foot, with dazzling hang time and body control. Though he was naturally stronger than most, it was his sheer overall power that made him a special athlete.

James imposed his power on both ends of the floor to try to dominate the game, from a thunderous dunk in traffic to an erasing blocked shot on defense.

Wiggins: When you watch Wiggins compete from an athletic point of view, the best word to describe his outstanding athletic ability is "explosive." His vertical jump is unique, especially from a two-feet takeoff -- think Dominique Wilkins -- but it's his second jump that is uncommon. Wiggins can get off the ground for a second jump when most great athletes are still on their way down.

His blazing speed going north-to-south in a possession and quick lateral movements allow him to cover ground fast. Wiggins used his athleticism, but not as much as he could have or should have, to have an impact on a game.

Edge: James

Passing
James: He was one of the most creative passers I have ever seen from the high school ranks. James had extraordinary vision to not only make the extra pass, he could create an assist the longer he held the ball in his hands. He was a true facilitator throughout the entire game, doing everything he could to help his team win. I haven't seen a player at that size pass so effectively and efficiently from a triple-threat position, in transition or off the bounce, since Magic Johnson.

Wiggins: For someone who is mostly known as a tremendous athlete and scorer, Wiggins is a willing passer. Right now he can't see the assists unless it's obvious, because it's not on his mind as much as it was with James. He is unselfish and will give it up when his vision allows him to find an open teammate for a better shot, and he is pretty accurate with his delivery.

Scoring
James: He was a dominating scorer at times, but his scoring average does not reflect his true offensive ability, because he was often helping his teammates score. His versatility and high basketball IQ enabled him to play and score from all five positions, making him a dangerous offensive player. James did not hunt down his shot very often. He would rather have a triple-double than 30 points. However, when he did try to score, the result was usually a basket or a trip to the free throw line.

Wiggins: Wiggins can be found affecting the game inside the elbows, from the foul line down and at the free throw line. He scores best from his explosive moves jumping over or around a defender, and also by way of a hard drive to the rim and from short jumpers. A one-positional player, you know the area where he is going to score from. The hard part is actually stopping him.

Shooting
James: James struggled with his jumper throughout his high school career and sometimes his best shot was a miss, considering he would hit the offensive glass and chase it down. His shot was not mechanically sound, as he would not shoot it the same way every time. This factored into his consistency and range. James was a capable shooter from inside the arc and a streaky-to-poor shooter behind it.

Wiggins: This is not a strength of either player, as Wiggins was also erratic during his high school career, but his shot was a bit more polished from the perimeter. When he would run off of baseline screens or wide pin-downs, Wiggins was very good at curling into his shot or even better at a rhythm dribble pull-up inside the arc. His long-range shot needs polish and is inconsistent, however he's capable from deep. He would knock one down a bit more often than James.

Edge: Wiggins

RECOMMEND16TWEET8COMMENTS90EMAILPRINTSUBSCRIBE

Paul Biancardi
Basketball Recruiting
FollowArchive
National Recruiting Director for ESPN.com
18 years of coaching experience at Division I level
Former Horizon League coach of the year at Wright State

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You'd think after Harrison Barnes, they'd cut that out, but sports media has a remarkable ability to ignore and ultimately forget its own bullshit.

damn they setting Wiggins up for a fall. all i'm gonna say about Wiggins vs Lebron coming out of HS is this: I saw Lebron play in HS in person when I was in 8th grade. I will feel privileged to live long enough to see another player as good as Lebron in HS and I haven't seen anyone close since. They shouldn't even bother setting Wiggins up w/ that.

Yeah... it took Lebron 10 years to live up to being Lebron, and he actually is Lebron. Wiggins better be mentally and emotionally strong, or else it's going to be a long way down.

Lebron is not the greatest right now, but I think many would agree with me when I say nobody in NBA history has played a better, more complete game than Lebron is right now. His court-awareness is unreal. That's an unfair thing to ask a kid to live up to.\

Fjordson

Lebron can eat a dick, but he's easily the best player in the game when he wants to be. No two ways about it.

I think Wiggins could be pretty great, but he's going to have to work on his jumpshot. Bron had a weak jumper for years, but he had that unseen combination of size, strength and speed. So it didn't really matter as much for him because basically nobody could match up (and he's improved his jumper quite a bit).

Wiggins doesn't have that. The athleticism is there for sure, but the dude is a twig. Can't be anymore than 185 or so. He'll probably dominate next year because of his quickness and his ability to finish in the lane, but in the NBA? A really good pro most likely, but I can't see him being on Lebron's level.

edit: Domino do you have ESPN Insider?!?

DominoKid

nope i just grabbed that from another forum i had. i wish that insider link exploit still worked because i used to eat good off of that.

Fjordson

nope i just grabbed that from another forum i had. i wish that insider link exploit still worked because i used to eat good off of that.
Damn, yeah, I'm always surprised that more ESPN Insider stuff doesn't leak out. They keep that shit under wraps.

Actually, the whole sports recruiting industry is weird to me. Like how every little tidbit about recruiting on any site is behind a paywall. I wonder who started that and why it's caught on so much. You don't see it for pro sports, and yet every little piece of info regarding high school kids = big money for ESPN and Rivals and shit :lol

Damn, yeah, I'm always surprised that more ESPN Insider stuff doesn't leak out. They keep that shit under wraps.

Actually, the whole sports recruiting industry is weird to me. Like how every little tidbit about recruiting on any site is behind a paywall. I wonder who started that and why it's caught on so much. You don't see it for pro sports, and yet every little piece of info regarding high school kids = big money for ESPN and Rivals and shit :lol

Ill usually post CFB insider articles on the CFB thread here if I know it will interest the people in there.

Pay walls for recruiting sites is super super weird to me though. I find it very creepy.

Fjordson

I'm always tempted to pay for ESPN insider, but I'm a cheap bastard so fuck it. And I don't really need to know more about recruiting. Kids will go where they go :lol but yeah the whole thing just struck me recently as being sort of odd. Like how paying for recruiting info is so accepted and widespread.

but the articles are always a tease. Like I just went to Kentucky's Rivals site and right on the front is a Devin Booker article.

"shooting guard Devin Booker is starting to build a relationship with Kentucky coach John Calipari."

oh shit!! *click details*

" ...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial"

Fuuuuu-

I'm always tempted to pay for ESPN insider, but I'm a cheap bastard so fuck it. And I don't really need to know more about recruiting. Kids will go where they go :lol but yeah the whole thing just struck me recently as being sort of odd. Like how paying for recruiting info is so accepted and widespread.

but the articles are always a tease. Like I just went to Kentucky's Rivals site and right on the front is a Devin Booker article.

"shooting guard Devin Booker is starting to build a relationship with Kentucky coach John Calipari."

oh shit!! *click details*

" ...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial"

Fuuuuu-

Only reason I have it is I get ESPN maagzine which I buy from my cousins school fund raiser every year for like $10 or something stupid.

Fjordson

Oh wow, you get Insider with the magazine? Amazon always has like $10 a year deals on that. Might have to get in on it next time they do it. Much easier purchase at that price.

DominoKid

insider isnt a bad deal if you get ESPN the Mag, then it's free w/ the subscription i think. and there's always an good deal for it floating on the internet. i remember one year i got my dad a 3 year subscription for like $30 for christmas.

Bowser

insider isnt a bad deal if you get ESPN the Mag, then it's free w/ the subscription i think. and there's always an good deal for it floating on the internet. i remember one year i got my dad a 3 year subscription for like $30 for christmas.

Tanga.com always has magazine subscription deals. I got 2 years of ESPN Mag (and the accompanying ESPN Insider access) for $3.99 total lololol

Fjordson

Tanga.com always has magazine subscription deals. I got 2 years of ESPN Mag (and the accompanying ESPN Insider access) for $3.99 total lololol

Wow, I had no idea about this ESPN Magazine/Insider link. Definitely jumping on that next time I see it.

Oh wow, you get Insider with the magazine? Amazon always has like $10 a year deals on that. Might have to get in on it next time they do it. Much easier purchase at that price.

Yeah. I've been Insider for years. Last year when renewal came up, I called them specifically to have them stop sending me that stupid magazine that I never read. They converted it to a digital subscription.

Florida's starting point guard Scottie Wilbekin suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. Was suspended last year for the same reason, no specifics given though.

Dude came alive during the SEC title game against Kentucky back in the year of the Jorts. I was at the game sitting next to a Florida guy and his son and it was fun to see that they had no clue who he was either as he tried his best to keep them in the game.

v3vnbQY.jpg

Blue Devil!

I was, uh, actually leaning towards the Spurs

Fjordson

Fuck Shane! Lmao.

I hate the Heat, but they deserved it. I love trolling Lebron and Wade in the NBA threads, but not much to say now. Both played great and Spurs just couldn't get it done.

I think Kawhi Leonard is one of my new favourite players, though. Great to see that kid get better and better this year. Crazy that as a small forward going up against Lebron he averaged 11 rebounds and over 2 steals a game. And Wade said after tonight's game that he still doesn't know what Kawhi's voice sounds like :lol that he just comes at you silently.

I love that. And he went to San Diego St. of all places. Just goes to show that great NBA players can come from anywhere.

Fuck Shane! Lmao.

I hate the Heat, but they deserved it. I love trolling Lebron and Wade in the NBA threads, but not much to say now. Both played great and Spurs just couldn't get it done.

I think Kawhi Leonard is one of my new favourite players, though. Great to see that kid get better and better this year. Crazy that as a small forward going up against Lebron he averaged 11 rebounds and over 2 steals a game. And Wade said after tonight's game that he still doesn't know what Kawhi's voice sounds like :lol that he just comes at you silently.

I love that. And he went to San Diego St. of all places. Just goes to show that great NBA players can come from anywhere.

I guess they were the best team. But man, I thought they were dead in the water TWICE in game 6. If I was a SA fan, that shit would haunt me forever. It's why I'm so glad I was too young to fully understand that Montana drive in the Super Bowl against the Bengals.

Top Bottom