• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Crisco

Banned
So NC State has not looked good two games in a row now. Our defense does not challenge teams at all. They just run their offense and get whatever shot they want. We turn the ball over a lot, and if we don't score in transition, then our half court offense rarely produces a good shot. We did rebound the ball better, but a good team would have beaten us by double digits last night. We need to get it together, and quick. Michigan doesn't look unbeatable and our strengths match-up pretty well with their weaknesses. This team has way too much talent to play this poorly.

DominoKid

despite the disappearance of calvin and the return of cj, the problem starts and ends w/ lorenzo.

he's not a pg or an sg really. VERY lazy with the ball, poor vision, and if he cant get to the rim he cant score. no midrange or outside game. reaaly sets a poor tone for the rest of the team.

warren is MUCH better than i anticipated though.

alstein

IT's probably just a slump from Brown, and maybe him being exposed on d some as a step slow.

Wonder if a Tyler/Brown combo should be used more

Crisco

Banned
Well Brown's shot just hasn't been falling. although he looked better at the FT line last night. In any case, he needs to be a threat to score in order to be a great point guard. That's what opens up the floor for his passing. But shooting slumps happen, that's not the problem. He's been turning it over too much, especially in transition. Defense is more of a team/philosophy problem at this point. We don't hedge on screens which lets guards into the paint too easily. Meanwhile, Leslie and Howell are too scared of foul trouble to step up and take a charge.

jakncoke

Banned
lol eastern michigan is playing a school named Madonna U. After further research its a catholic liberal arts college in michigan. funny though

alstein

Well Brown's shot just hasn't been falling. although he looked better at the FT line last night. In any case, he needs to be a threat to score in order to be a great point guard. That's what opens up the floor for his passing. But shooting slumps happen, that's not the problem. He's been turning it over too much, especially in transition. Defense is more of a team/philosophy problem at this point. We don't hedge on screens which lets guards into the paint too easily. Meanwhile, Leslie and Howell are too scared of foul trouble to step up and take a charge.

Too things worried me at the start of the year, foul trouble, and teams that were big. I remember that Kansas game and thinking Kansas-type redwood teams would give Howell/Leslie fits- pack it in, get one guy on Wood, and just win. I still feel this team will have to outscore folks more than stop them, might need to get Warren and Purvis out there more for the offense and just try to score 90 to beat the other team's 80.

SMU looking to go 6-0.

The godfather (Larry Brown) putting in some good work. Our bench is too thin though, and these are going to get tired real fast.

Does Louisville have some special deal where its games are only allowed to be on channels no one has heard of?

I mean, we have Pitino vs. Kryzyzywerski in November and how many people will even be able to watch the game?

Does Louisville have some special deal where its games are only allowed to be on channels no one has heard of?

I mean, we have Pitino vs. Kryzyzywerski in November and how many people will even be able to watch the game?

NBC Sports Network? I think this tournament is a good way to introduce people to it.

I spent the better part of last night's Duke-VCU game envisioning NBCSN giving a ton of money to the ACC and the ACC ditching ESPN. I'm getting about sick of that network, barring a couple of shows. More often than not, they're creating the sports headline, and not simply reporting it. That's a problem.

I don't know how much Duke has left in the tank for this game tonight against Louisville. It'll be their third game in three days, and last night they had to play 48 minutes against VCU's full-court pressure. Curry is still hobbled and RoboCop can't seem to get unstuck from the bench.

I don't know how much Duke has left in the tank for this game tonight against Louisville. It'll be their third game in three days, and last night they had to play 48 minutes against VCU's full-court pressure. Curry is still hobbled and RoboCop can't seem to get unstuck from the bench.

40 minutes in the college game, and it isn't like Louisville isn't also on their 3rd game.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
NBC Sports Network? I think this tournament is a good way to introduce people to it.

I spent the better part of last night's Duke-VCU game envisioning NBCSN giving a ton of money to the ACC and the ACC ditching ESPN. I'm getting about sick of that network, barring a couple of shows. More often than not, they're creating the sports headline, and not simply reporting it. That's a problem.

Outside of actual games I stopped watching ESPN long ago. I don't care about human interest stories or loudmouth morons that know less about sports than I do yelling at each other in fake arguments.

EDIT: LOVE the Bill McNeil avatar BTW.

DominoKid

The ACC will dissolve before they leave espn.

thefro

Really just a matter of time until NBCSN outbids ESPN for the TV rights for a couple of the big conferences. They have a ton of Comcast money.

ESPN may suck, but spreading games out on even more channels to force us to pay even more for shitty cable is not the answer I'm looking for. Sports fans already subsidize way too much crap.

Now give us some a la carte cable and I'm on board.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That's what I meant. :)

Also, my point still stands. The team looked completely gone at the end of the VCU game and although Louisville's on their third game in a row too, they also can run more bodies out there than Duke can.

Doing ok so far. Right now my concern is foul trouble for Mason. Until Marshall gets healthy, that is going to be an ongoing concern. Fucking stress fractures always snakebite us.

DominoKid

lmaoTE=thefro;44708816]Really just a matter of time until NBCSN outbids ESPN for the TV rights for a couple of the big conferences. They have a ton of Comcast money.[/QUOTE]

comcast money > mickey mouse dollars?

worldwide leader just put up 5 billion for cfb playoff rights. i cant imagine theyd get outbid on something if they really wanted it.

Wasn't able to watch the first half. Any bathroom breaks for Rick?

worldwide leader just put up 5 billion for cfb playoff rights. i cant imagine theyd get outbid on something if they really wanted it.

And it's easy to do that when they get nearly $6 per month for each and every cable subscription in the country. Printing money.

Sulaimon is definitely reminding me a bit of Nolan Smith. Hopefully he can keep it going. Nolan started off hot his freshman and sophomore years, but trailed off as those years progressed. He was amazing during his last two seasons, however.

Slight digression down memory lane, but Sulaimon's last made basket brought back memories of what Grant Hill always did while at Duke. He would always nail a jump shot with his foot basically half over the three point line. All the time. But that was his comfortable shot, so what are you going to do? His range his first three years was 19'3". He started taking (and making) 3s more often his senior year though, I do recall that. Looked it up to verify, and my memory was not off the mark. He only took 17 threes (making 5) during his first three seasons. He took 100 during his senior year, making 39 of them.

What I don't get is why these college presidents want to lock themselves up for so long. ACC negotiated their rights through 2027. This "and 1" deal goes 12 years. I would want to renegotiate more often than that. Go for a seven year deal, get back to the table sooner.

Once more, on the ACC. What does a deal going through 2027 say to teams thinking about leaving? That you're stable? Or that you're locked in for a given amount of revenue for a very long time? An amount that, I don't know, might be less than Big 12 or Big Ten or SEC. Locked in. Long time. Doesn't seem smart.

Oh well, the common out in the contract appears to be a changing of teams. So with losing Maryland, and gaining whomever, seems to be a good time to revisit that TV deal.

Victimized by the ESPN assault on the Big East.

And damn this game is close....Duke's been controlling it mostly, though.

I still don't understand how Siva's uncontrolled drive with a little bail out dish still works. He's been doing that for all seven years he's been playing for the Cards.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so stressful. Why is our rebounding so awful? Can't wait until Marshall can play...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The last 2 calls on Kelly have been pretty questionable...wow. Very little contact with anything but the ball.

edit: oh man what a dagger from Cook

TheNatural

My Member!
Sucks, but no doubt in my mind at 100% we're better. Dieng would have tore Duke up with the way Van Treese played, a guy who was a recruit being eligible away from playing Div II ball this year.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Sucks, but no doubt in my mind at 100% we're better. Dieng would have tore Duke up with the way Van Treese played, a guy who was a recruit being eligible away from playing Div II ball this year.

I definitely agree if we're talking about the current Duke team on the floor, but take away Seth's chronic leg injury and let Marshall recover and we're a much, much better team as well.

So where does this put us in the polls? We've beaten the #2 and #3 teams now, along with a pretty tough VCU squad. I can't believe we have (current) #3 OSU coming up right after this...

Amory

Damn, so Louisville had a football game and a basketball game on campus today? Must've been sick. Except for the results, of course.

I definitely agree if we're talking about the current Duke team on the floor, but take away Seth's chronic leg injury and let Marshall recover and we're a much, much better team as well.

So where does this put us in the polls? We've beaten the #2 and #3 teams now, along with a pretty tough VCU squad. I can't believe we have (current) #3 OSU coming up right after this...

They'll be 4, they won't leapfrog OSU or Michigan.

Top Bottom